Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

"Encore" figures

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Moderators: Cryhavok, Supreme Convoy, robofreak

"Encore" figures

Postby gbm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Do the "Encore" line of TFs generally cut corners when it comes to materials and whatnot? In other words, should I expect most Encore figures to have the metal/chrome parts replaced with some cheaper, newer material?

Or does it vary from figure to figure...
gbm
Fuzor
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby craggy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 pm

I don't have any, but haven't heard any reports of this. Think they're pretty much the same as the originals. I've only got a couple of reissues, and they were from the Toys R Us line released in the US/Elsewhere rather than the Japanese Encore line, but the two I have (Hot Rod and Soundwave) don't seem to scrimp on quality.

There are occasionally some minor differences (Soundwave, for example, who uses the remolded Soundblaster tape door, capable of holding 2 cassettes instead of one, and I think Hot Rod uses the retooled Targetmaster Hot Rod mold, and has guns with larger pegs than the original as a result) but I don't think they go out of their way to make these things cheaper than the originals. If anything it's the opposite, with the presentation of the Encores being pretty special.

I know some of those with launching missiles had the missiles lengthened for the Hasbro releases, to make them legal, but again, the Encore line is more of an adult collector themed toyline so they probably got away with keeping short missiles. Heck, Megatron still fired his little pellets, so I'd expect everything that no doubt killed millions of us who had these toys in the 80s to still be intact.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Ramjet, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Blurr, or 3rd Party Motobot Arcee, iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn
craggy
Faction Commander
Posts: 4268
News Credits: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby gbm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:40 pm

craggy wrote:I don't have any, but haven't heard any reports of this. Think they're pretty much the same as the originals. I've only got a couple of reissues, and they were from the Toys R Us line released in the US/Elsewhere rather than the Japanese Encore line, but the two I have (Hot Rod and Soundwave) don't seem to scrimp on quality.

There are occasionally some minor differences (Soundwave, for example, who uses the remolded Soundblaster tape door, capable of holding 2 cassettes instead of one, and I think Hot Rod uses the retooled Targetmaster Hot Rod mold, and has guns with larger pegs than the original as a result) but I don't think they go out of their way to make these things cheaper than the originals. If anything it's the opposite, with the presentation of the Encores being pretty special.

I know some of those with launching missiles had the missiles lengthened for the Hasbro releases, to make them legal, but again, the Encore line is more of an adult collector themed toyline so they probably got away with keeping short missiles. Heck, Megatron still fired his little pellets, so I'd expect everything that no doubt killed millions of us who had these toys in the 80s to still be intact.


hmmm, ok this is good to know.

I'd like to collect a few MINT/new figures, instead of purchasing a second hand g1 from someone on ebay, cause they always have something wrong with them ultimately. This is good alternative I suppose.

However, in my researching, I saw that the Encore Bruticus had some major quality downgrades compared to the g1, hence why I was asking.
gbm
Fuzor
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby Overcracker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:12 am

Motto: "Collecting little transforming action figures is the right of all sentient Geeks."
Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
For the most part, and speaking strictly about the Japanese Encore, and Book Style Reissues, they are as good as the originals.

Bruticus is the rare exception rather than rule, where due to some degradation with the Combattcon molds it saw some issues, however all other reissues are of the same high quality as the originals, and keep all the chrome and other important bits intact.

As a personal reference I own a few encores and I can say rthey are very nice high quality reissues of their original counterparts.

There's no reason to fear real Encores.

Prime for instance as an example, comes with all the chrome you'd expect, the long smokestacks of the original which have been trimmed down for most if not all of Hasbro's releases, and the correct length missiles for the Repair bay robot in his trailer.
Image

"The man with the ship and the big red button holstered onto his belt that calls a giant fire-breathing lizard, is always the cool one."

Toytainment Blog
Views, reviews, and overviews of things in entertainment.
Current review: The Dark Knight Rises
User avatar
Overcracker
Faction Commander
Posts: 4680
News Credits: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:47 am
Location: Houston, Tx. U.S.A
Watch Overcracker on YouTube
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby PrymeStriker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 am

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Yep. I own Encore Ironhide & Ratchet and there's no change in the material from their originals.
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5363
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 am

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
gbm wrote:Do the "Encore" line of TFs generally cut corners when it comes to materials and whatnot? In other words, should I expect most Encore figures to have the metal/chrome parts replaced with some cheaper, newer material?

The Encore range is a great range to add to your G1 collection. All the figures come with the same chrome, firing missiles and rubber tires etc that the original released had.. Remember that as a cost cutting measure, Hasbro replaced things like the chromed thighs and rubber tires of Metroplex with stickers and plastic tires.
Cosmetically, the line is accurate to the G1 figures with a few new touches like a blue visor for Trailbreaker and tampographed Autobot symbols etc. You can TF Wiki for a full list. Oddly though, Skids didn't come with tampographed symbols. And you still get stickers! ;)^


Or does it vary from figure to figure...

Unfortunately, Bruticus has the most noticable mold degradation and the quality of plastic used feels light, bordering on suspect. If you're like me though, and only use them for display, then they're awesome at half the price ;)^
Last edited by Breakdown 2099 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby RhA » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:26 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
craggy wrote:There are occasionally some minor differences (Soundwave, for example, who uses the remolded Soundblaster tape door, capable of holding 2 cassettes instead of one, and I think Hot Rod uses the retooled Targetmaster Hot Rod mold, and has guns with larger pegs than the original as a result) but I don't think they go out of their way to make these things cheaper than the originals. If anything it's the opposite, with the presentation of the Encores being pretty special.


There is no Encore Hotrod and Soundwave uses the single cassete door. It was Hasbro who applied the changes for their reissues, though. Or did you mean that?

-edit
Encore uses tampographed decals instead of the classic sticker sheets. That's the main difference.
Image
Latest TF: Generations Skids, Generations Rhinox & MIB G1 Whirl
User avatar
RhA
City Commander
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Underwhere
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
As far as reissues go, they all try to be as close to the original as possible. There are exceptions, the more important ones I'll be listing:

Transformers Collection Starscream
Having been reissued before, this reissue comes in lighter colors, making it more accurate to the cartoon.

Any Targetmaster reissue
This is important. Hot Rod, Kup and Stepper have both their Targetmaster partners as well as their original guns. Plus, Nightstick had his single joint retooled to avoid breakage.

Encore Bruticus
The mold degradation has been discussed (it's most prevalent on Onslaught), but the original US release had die cast parts, which this reissue does not have at all. On the flipside, the original Japanese release of Predaking had no metal, yet his reissue has it like the US original. Try and figure that out. It's worth noting that Encore Bruticus is based on RiD Ruination, so all guns can combine. O, and he still has stickers.
Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) BW II VS-18 Powerhug vs. Autocrusher
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

Preparing to move to the US!

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13724
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby gbm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:36 am

This is awesome news, thanks!

Time to order me an Encore Ironhide!

(this is the figure that I can buy the "upgrade kit" for right? ...with the extended hands/feet and head?)

EDIT: Where can I purchase those kits from? All I can find are "the heads"...the video I watched had extensions for the arms and legs too.
gbm
Fuzor
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
gbm wrote:This is awesome news, thanks!

Time to order me an Encore Ironhide!

(this is the figure that I can buy the "upgrade kit" for right? ...with the extended hands/feet and head?)

EDIT: Where can I purchase those kits from? All I can find are "the heads"...the video I watched had extensions for the arms and legs too.

Gear 4 toys has the GT 01I and GT 01R. Both should be available at BBTS.
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby gbm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Breakdown 2099 wrote:
gbm wrote:This is awesome news, thanks!

Time to order me an Encore Ironhide!

(this is the figure that I can buy the "upgrade kit" for right? ...with the extended hands/feet and head?)

EDIT: Where can I purchase those kits from? All I can find are "the heads"...the video I watched had extensions for the arms and legs too.

Gear 4 toys has the GT 01I and GT 01R. Both should be available at BBTS.



WOWZER!!!!

60 BUCKS FOR THESE???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
gbm
Fuzor
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby gbm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 pm

actually.....THESE were the ones I was looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E0Tsc2wIU
gbm
Fuzor
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 am

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
Let us know if you go ahead and order them, and how they turn out. I'm looking for something to give these guys an upgrade also
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby fenrir72 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
TFC Hotrodimus had "some" differences from the 2000 Takara re-issue. His back wind shield doesn't "lock" in place and his engine/ fist holes are bigger to accommodate his target master handles.

Material wise, there was no difference. Oh, and he had his bling stamp graphed instead of decals.

Encore Meister had some improvements and disappointments. Improvements on the paint apps and his visor. Bugs Bunny smirk removed. The downside is that his shoulder mounted flame throwers don't fit well.

Encore Convoy feels a bit lighter and there is a mold degradation on his left back. The colors somewhat less dark purple blue but aside from that, a most EXCELLENT reproduction of the 1984 toy.

Skids' colors are somewhat muted compared to the TFC version.

TFC Megatron? :BOWDOWN: 'nuff said!
Current collection status

Number of TFs: 350 +
Rarest TF: Fortmax,Pretenders Metalhawk,KissPlayers Sparkbots,Tomy FE Optimus Prime, custom E-hobby Orion Pax, MP-01 2004, Classics Ultra Magnus, henkei Convoy + FP Trailer, e-hobby Roadrage,iPod G1 colors Convoy
Latest TF:MP-10 Optimus Prime,Optimus Maximus
Wanted TFs:Abominus, Computron, Road Caesar, Leo Kaizer, G1 Scorponok, G1 dinobots, Grandus
Impossible Dream TFs:Overlord,Galaxyshuttle,Black Zarak, Monstructor or Dinoking
User avatar
fenrir72
City Commander
Posts: 3354
News Credits: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 am
Location: SEA
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby SJ21 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I am a big fan of the Encore line. In most cases, they are really close to the G1 version of the toy. If they made changes, they are to improve the figure.
If anyone has a TFSS Breakdown they don't want, PM me please. I would love to take him off your hands.
SJ21
Brainmaster
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby craggy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:59 pm

RhA wrote:
craggy wrote:There are occasionally some minor differences (Soundwave, for example, who uses the remolded Soundblaster tape door, capable of holding 2 cassettes instead of one, and I think Hot Rod uses the retooled Targetmaster Hot Rod mold, and has guns with larger pegs than the original as a result) but I don't think they go out of their way to make these things cheaper than the originals. If anything it's the opposite, with the presentation of the Encores being pretty special.


There is no Encore Hotrod and Soundwave uses the single cassete door. It was Hasbro who applied the changes for their reissues, though. Or did you mean that?


I didn't mean that. I said that. My post mentions that I know bugger all about the Encore line first hand, but do have some experience with the Hasbro reissues offered through TRU.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Ramjet, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Blurr, or 3rd Party Motobot Arcee, iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn
craggy
Faction Commander
Posts: 4268
News Credits: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby xyl360 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I love Encore/Reissue figs. I couldn't care less about having an 'original geewun' figure, so if there's a G1 toy I want that gets a reissue and it's priced reasonable (and sometimes not ;)) I'll snatch it up. It's a great opportunity to own a piece of my childhood again (or a figure I always WISHED I'd had as a kid :P).

Pricing is the biggest factor though. For example, I snagged an original G1 Metroplex in great shape but missing one piece (which I was able to pick up cheap on ebay) for far less, including the price of the missing piece, than it would have cost me to get the reissue. If the reissue had been the same price or cheaper, I would have gone with that instead.
Image
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
User avatar
xyl360
Gestalt
Posts: 2717
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 am

Re: "Encore" figures

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:44 am

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
xyl360 wrote:I love Encore/Reissue figs. I couldn't care less about having an 'original geewun' figure, so if there's a G1 toy I want that gets a reissue and it's priced reasonable (and sometimes not ;)) I'll snatch it up. It's a great opportunity to own a piece of my childhood again (or a figure I always WISHED I'd had as a kid :P).

Pricing is the biggest factor though. For example, I snagged an original G1 Metroplex in great shape but missing one piece (which I was able to pick up cheap on ebay) for far less, including the price of the missing piece, than it would have cost me to get the reissue. If the reissue had been the same price or cheaper, I would have gone with that instead.


Couldn't agree more. I'd much rather buy a new Encore than a used G1, being a 1984 toy doesn't make it any better in my eyes. I like my toys shiny and new
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014