Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

"What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby dinogeist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Cthulhunicron wrote:Dark of the Moon on par with X-Men First Class? That's hilarious.

The Topless Robot quote pretty much summed up my initial argument.

I realize Transformers media has never been known for great writing and I do enjoy watching the Michael Bay movies on a superficial level, but I will never claim that they are good movies. They're incredibly stupid movies that have well done action scenes. the only way I can really watch them is by fast forwarding all the "comic relief" scenes.


my main motivation reason,is for the state of the art advanced CGI Robots designs & watching robot VS robot fight scenes.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Blurrz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 am

Motto: "The Wreckers. Weird brain bullets. Impossible odds... It doesn't get much better than this."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Cthulhunicron wrote:Dark of the Moon on par with X-Men First Class? That's hilarious.


I went through First Class twice, and I'll say that it's a fantastic movie, probably one of the best Marvel movies so far. However, it did have it's flaws, which I won't dwelve into now. Didn't really mean to say that DOTM = First Class. FC is much better, but it's still at that point where DOTM is respectable, and far better than the previous two TF movies.

And this comes from a person who's been following Green Lantern and X-Men far longer than Transformers.
dA/twitter/tumblr
Image
MTMTE customs - Click the picture to see my progress
User avatar
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
Posts: 11588
News Credits: 102
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:31 am
Location: Oil Country
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby vegetacron » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:46 am

Weapon: Spinning Augers
If its any consolation, i thought Brains was holy hell friggin hilarious. Everytime that little sh!t said somethin, i couldn't quit giggling like a ****** school girl.
Image
User avatar
vegetacron
Vehicon
Posts: 358
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 7

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:35 am

Cthulhunicron wrote:I find this to be a very weak argument in defense of the Transformers trilogy.


Finally, I find others who find that defense to be weak, though I'd use insane. Any movie where you have to "shut off your brain" is, by definition, a bad movie as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who uses that phrase in a movie's defense has just made my point for me.

Fortunately, since Michael Bay has apparently said he will not be directing any more of these, I won't have to suffer through any movies that don't reboot the series. I used to look forward to the possibility of a live-action TF movie. Now I hate the idea more than words can describe.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby vegetacron » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 am

Weapon: Spinning Augers
Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.

I think for the most part, this is what the difference is between a random movie fan and a "genre" or "franchise" is about. The optimist and the pessimist.

The movie fan in me wants to rant and rave at how terrible these movies are.

The franchise fan in me says, "Yeah, stuff was pretty bad, but theres a whole lot that liked."

This has given me an idea for a new thread! :)
Image
User avatar
vegetacron
Vehicon
Posts: 358
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 7

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 am

vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby NTESHFT » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Motto: "60% of the time, it works every time!"
Weapon: Black Magic
I gotta say since everyone else has put their two cents in on this that I liked the movie. Yes, to me, it was better than Thor, I liked it as equal a Green Lantern (Hail DC Universe), but I did like Fast Five a little better. Sorry, I like fast cars, too. I haven't seen first Class, yet, but I have heard enough to know I can wait for it to come out on BD. And yes, I read comics, too. I love DC and read plenty of Marvel.
Image
User avatar
NTESHFT
Brainmaster
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Dirty South
Buy from NTESHFT on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby No Death for Prowl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.
Image
User avatar
No Death for Prowl
Combiner
Posts: 433
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.


...no it wasn't. It was just Sam running from Megatron! At least in ROTF and DOTM they had some moments where they where actually fighting back.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby No Death for Prowl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.


...no it wasn't. It was just Sam running from Megatron! At least in ROTF and DOTM they had some moments where they where actually fighting back.


There was a sense of dread and uncertainty during the city battle because it seemed like the Decepticons actually had a chance to win.

I never believed to be the case in ROTF nor DOTM.

Once Optimus showed up, you knew the battle was over.
Image
User avatar
No Death for Prowl
Combiner
Posts: 433
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
No Death for Prowl wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.


...no it wasn't. It was just Sam running from Megatron! At least in ROTF and DOTM they had some moments where they where actually fighting back.


There was a sense of dread and uncertainty during the city battle because it seemed like the Decepticons actually had a chance to win.

I never believed to be the case in ROTF nor DOTM.

Once Optimus showed up, you knew the battle was over.


The only time I thought they where going to win was in ROTF. I thought they where going to bring back Optimus in the next movie.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby No Death for Prowl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.


...no it wasn't. It was just Sam running from Megatron! At least in ROTF and DOTM they had some moments where they where actually fighting back.


There was a sense of dread and uncertainty during the city battle because it seemed like the Decepticons actually had a chance to win.

I never believed to be the case in ROTF nor DOTM.

Once Optimus showed up, you knew the battle was over.


The only time I thought they where going to win was in ROTF. I thought they where going to bring back Optimus in the next movie.


I agree that's what should have occurred to end the movie with a bad guys' momentary victory, a la The Empire Strikes Back.

But almost as soon as Prime died, they were looking (and found) a way to revive him.

His (short) death was never allowed to make much of an impact.
Image
User avatar
No Death for Prowl
Combiner
Posts: 433
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
No Death for Prowl wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.

The introduction of Blackout should have left even the most stubborn Geewuner giddy as a gorilla in a banana factory.

The city battle at the end of the first movie was more suspenseful than the last 2 movies combined.


...no it wasn't. It was just Sam running from Megatron! At least in ROTF and DOTM they had some moments where they where actually fighting back.


There was a sense of dread and uncertainty during the city battle because it seemed like the Decepticons actually had a chance to win.

I never believed to be the case in ROTF nor DOTM.

Once Optimus showed up, you knew the battle was over.


The only time I thought they where going to win was in ROTF. I thought they where going to bring back Optimus in the next movie.


I agree that's what should have occurred to end the movie with a bad guys' momentary victory, a la The Empire Strikes Back.

But almost as soon as Prime died, they were looking (and found) a way to revive him.

His (short) death was never allowed to make much of an impact.


It still surprised me. I thought I had read every spoiler on the internet, until that happened.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 pm

No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.


It's perfectly fair. It's exactly how I feel. I cannot find a single good point about ANY of these movies.

Now, if you really want to insist that I'm being unfair, I could easily turn that around on you and your opinions.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Master Renegade wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.


It's perfectly fair. It's exactly how I feel. I cannot find a single good point about ANY of these movies.

Now, if you really want to insist that I'm being unfair, I could easily turn that around on you and your opinions.


So the CG wasn't good? The scores weren't totally freaking awesome?
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:33 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:It's perfectly fair. It's exactly how I feel. I cannot find a single good point about ANY of these movies.

Now, if you really want to insist that I'm being unfair, I could easily turn that around on you and your opinions.


So the CG wasn't good? The scores weren't totally freaking awesome?


I hated the designs of the robots, so I wasn't thrilled to see them in CGI. At best I was indifferent to the CGI because the designs were so shitty.

The music wasn't the kind of music I like, so again, indifferent. That's the best I can say about ANY aspect of the movies.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby Just Negare » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 am

Motto: "Who ate all the pies?"
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
I work hard for my money, doing things that would have most people vomitting their ring out on the floor, and I'm guessing the vaste majority of people going to see TF, or any movie, work hard too. Now, I think that means the directors owe us something, seeing its our money that lines the studios' pockets and allows them to fund these director's visions.

I loved teh first one, detested the second and was pleasantly surpised, and tolerated the third. I don't think its that much to ask that we get given a decent movie, with decent plot, casting, action et al.

I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I was expecting something at least half way decent. We as fans, and even as members of the TF ignorant public, shouldn't have to tolerate the kind of crap ROTF dealt us.

Sometimes I think people are so in love with the idea of a LA TF movie they dare speak against the fails. Of course, doesn't matter much now unless they give us a fourth.
Something memorable here.
Just Negare
City Commander
Posts: 3228
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:11 pm
Location: Not at work is where.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 8
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 9

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby shamone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
No Death for Prowl wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:
vegetacron wrote:Yeah, i used to think that way, but its like...i dunno...perspective?

Yes, the movies, as a whole, we're terrible, but you kinda just gotta pick out what you liked about them and move on.


That's just it. I can't find a single redeeming feature in ANY of them. Not one. There was nothing I liked about them. At best, I may have been indifferent to a few elements.


Oh come on, that's not really fair.


It's perfectly fair. It's exactly how I feel. I cannot find a single good point about ANY of these movies.

Now, if you really want to insist that I'm being unfair, I could easily turn that around on you and your opinions.


So the CG wasn't good? The scores weren't totally freaking awesome?


he said he didnt lik eany part of the movie.

So be it, does it affect your view thats its the greatest movie ever made - no
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:24 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Just Negare wrote:I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I was expecting something at least half way decent. We as fans, and even as members of the TF ignorant public, shouldn't have to tolerate the kind of crap ROTF dealt us.


Too bad a lot of fans don't share your opinion that ROTF was crap.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby shamone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:27 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
Just Negare wrote:I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I was expecting something at least half way decent. We as fans, and even as members of the TF ignorant public, shouldn't have to tolerate the kind of crap ROTF dealt us.


Too bad a lot of fans don't share your opinion that ROTF was crap.


maybe he doesnt care what others think

maybe he isnt hung up by that, he is comfortable with his own opinion and not seeking validation

you like the movie, love it in fact, we get that, it doesnt mean that your opinion is the sole worthy one true believer view for everyone else
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
shamone wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Just Negare wrote:I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I was expecting something at least half way decent. We as fans, and even as members of the TF ignorant public, shouldn't have to tolerate the kind of crap ROTF dealt us.


Too bad a lot of fans don't share your opinion that ROTF was crap.


maybe he doesnt care what others think

maybe he isnt hung up by that, he is comfortable with his own opinion and not seeking validation

you like the movie, love it in fact, we get that, it doesnt mean that your opinion is the sole worthy one true believer view for everyone else


Neither is his. And that's the point I was making.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4060
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: "What do you expect, Shakespeare?"

Postby shamone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:34 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
shamone wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Just Negare wrote:I wasn't expecting anything grand, but I was expecting something at least half way decent. We as fans, and even as members of the TF ignorant public, shouldn't have to tolerate the kind of crap ROTF dealt us.


Too bad a lot of fans don't share your opinion that ROTF was crap.


maybe he doesnt care what others think

maybe he isnt hung up by that, he is comfortable with his own opinion and not seeking validation

you like the movie, love it in fact, we get that, it doesnt mean that your opinion is the sole worthy one true believer view for everyone else


Neither is his. And that's the point I was making.


he was speaking for those who didnt like it

not for all fans
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014