Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby El Duque » Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
lmb3.net has gotten a hold of an obscure piece of Transformers history, a 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit. The kit would have been given to retail clients by salesmen to encourage additional sales. The kit, which was packaged in a Transformers branded backpack, contained iron-on patches, a Powerdasher figure, thermos, coupons, promotional materials, and some really interesting financial stats from Hasbro regarding the Transformers brand. At that time the Transformers held the record for first year toy introduction at $100 million in 1984. They expected to the brand to rake in around $300 million in 1986. Click here to view all the materials and paperwork contained within the kit.


Image

Image

Image
User avatar
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9913
News Credits: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 am

Ah, yes, the practical connection being that ziploc bags were a good way to store all your TF weapons and prevent them getting lost! Not that I had that kind of foresight at age 7. Now they need a tie-in with the makers of those tackle-boxes!

As for the Powerdasher...I think the reason I got that S.T.A.R.S. TFTM flier in the mail was because I ordered Camshaft and Drill-Dasher through an earlier promo, so there's almost some logic here...in my mind at least.

Have these non-box-art iron-ons ever surfaced before? They don't look familiar.
Bumblevivisector
Brainmaster
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:29 am

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby GuyIncognito » Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am

That bag is sweet. It would be a great travel bag.
User avatar
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
Posts: 4752
News Credits: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 am
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby #Sideways# » Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 am

Motto: "Watch me swooce right in! [SWOOCING]"
Weapon: Rapid-Fire Sonic Shell Cannons
That. Is. Aewsome.

Speaking of dyslexia, what is a Powerdahser? I've heard of Powerdashers... I'm bad. I can't help myself. My parents shouldn't have let me out of the house today. :P
Image

"I don't stink, but I am silent but deadly!" ~One of the many reasons I like Sideways.
User avatar
#Sideways#
Brainmaster
Posts: 1426
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: Planet X
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Thats not a TF in the pic, thats a go-bot (I think). I used to own it... it was so terribly cheap and crappy, haha.

Wait, nvm, it is. I just bought a cheap KO ripoff instead.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby Bumblevivisector » Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:Thats not a TF in the pic, thats a go-bot (I think). I used to own it... it was so terribly cheap and crappy, haha.

Wait, nvm, it is. I just bought a cheap KO ripoff instead.

Sir, you have insulted the pinnacle of Powerdasher evolution! I mean, that's the one I wanted, but the randomizer gave me Drill Dasher instead. I got over it once I read Return to Cybertron and realized he could serve as an official Corkscrew, and even moreso once I learned he was the rarest of the three.

As for the Gobot thing...yeah, he does bear a slight resemblance to RoGun:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Arco/RogunBoxed1a.jpg
Bumblevivisector
Brainmaster
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:29 am

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby MINDVVIPE » Thu May 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Bumblevivisector wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:Thats not a TF in the pic, thats a go-bot (I think). I used to own it... it was so terribly cheap and crappy, haha.

Wait, nvm, it is. I just bought a cheap KO ripoff instead.

Sir, you have insulted the pinnacle of Powerdasher evolution! I mean, that's the one I wanted, but the randomizer gave me Drill Dasher instead. I got over it once I read Return to Cybertron and realized he could serve as an official Corkscrew, and even moreso once I learned he was the rarest of the three.

As for the Gobot thing...yeah, he does bear a slight resemblance to RoGun:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Arco/RogunBoxed1a.jpg

:lol: Strangely enough, the drill head one reminds me of puppet masters.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2287
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby Cobra Delaris » Thu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Weapon: Energy Shurikens
I want that Cyclonus Iron-On. :CON:
Check out my Transformer Review Show @ http://Blip.tv/CobraDelaris
And http://CobraDelaris.com
Cobra Delaris
Mini-Con
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Watch Cobra Delaris on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Cromar did always strike me as the most popular of the Powerdashers.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17692
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby Anonymous. » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

I don't want to justify interest in this but damnit there is Blurr art in there!
Anonymous.
God Of Transformers
Posts: 11588
News Credits: 102
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:31 am
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: 1986 Transformers The Movie Ziploc Promotion Salesman’s Sample Kit

Postby RhA » Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
MINDVVIPE wrote:
Bumblevivisector wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:Thats not a TF in the pic, thats a go-bot (I think). I used to own it... it was so terribly cheap and crappy, haha.

Wait, nvm, it is. I just bought a cheap KO ripoff instead.

Sir, you have insulted the pinnacle of Powerdasher evolution! I mean, that's the one I wanted, but the randomizer gave me Drill Dasher instead. I got over it once I read Return to Cybertron and realized he could serve as an official Corkscrew, and even moreso once I learned he was the rarest of the three.

As for the Gobot thing...yeah, he does bear a slight resemblance to RoGun:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Arco/RogunBoxed1a.jpg

:lol: Strangely enough, the drill head one reminds me of puppet masters.

Nice handle placement on Rogun.
Image
Check out Mr. RhA on deviant art!
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Banana stand
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1


Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #104 - Wrath of Con
Twincast / Podcast #104:
"Wrath of Con"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 2nd, 2014