Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
tfparodies wrote:"Winning?" For whom? Do you work for the film industry? Obviously I can argue how this certainly isn't "winning" in any respects to society as a whole. What should I care how much money Michael Bay earns in his job any more than anyone else? Why should that be winning to me? It's only winning to those who financially benefit or who are thoroughly entertained. Neither of which are me. So I take umbrage with calling it "winning".


ROTF and DOTM are in the top fifty highest-grossing movies of all time. That is objectively winning.

tfparodies wrote:
Figures don't lie.
Heh. No? Any statistician can easily argue that one, as well as some gamblers too.


Show me a gambler who thinks putting a billion dollars in the bank is "losing." Go on, I'll wait.

tfparodies wrote:
Whether the movies were good or bad is personal opinion and there is no right or wrong.
Not entirely true, as another fallacy that pervades is that somehow opinions can't be wrong.
[/quote]

Sometimes they can be wrong. Not very often though.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby leakin' lubricant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Shadowman wrote:
Burn wrote:
leakin' lubricant wrote:I think alot of the anti Bayformers people forget to realise that like it or not they have been a huge succsess and have returned Transformers back into the spotlight and generated a hell of a lot of revenue, whatever you think of the films as an artform the simple truth is without them we would not have seen the recent licenced Masterpiece figures, with that in mind what would you rather have, warm fuzzy memories from your childhood or those same warm fuzzy memories AND Maesterpiece Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Prowl and Bumblebee?


I'm not a "anti-Bayformer", I enjoyed the movies for what they were. BUT ... I see this "without them we wouldn't have had all the awesome stuff we've had like Classics, Generations, MP's etc in recent years" argument thrown around a lot and I just don't buy it.


Especially since Classics and MP, at least, came out before the movies.


Classics came out because the Movie stuff was delayed if I remember rightly, so we have the films to thank for those (all be it indirectly, also with regards to Masterpiece I was refeing specifically to the recent licenced figures (Sideswipe, Prowl etc) I really dont think the franchise would have had the money to throw at Lamborghini, Nissan etc if the Movies hadent injected a huge amount of revenue into the franchise, sure this is all speculation but you have to ask why did Has/Tak notr make these figure during the initial run of Masterpiece fugures which did come before the Movies.
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Targetmaster
Posts: 687
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby KWFlange » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Motto: "I've got better things to do tonight than die!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Shadowman wrote:
Show me a gambler who thinks putting a billion dollars in the bank is "losing." Go on, I'll wait.

Image

In all seriousness. The movies were winners before they even hit screens. Toy sales drive Hasbro. And the Toys for the movies were huge.
User avatar
KWFlange
Mini-Con
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby OptiMagnus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 am

Motto: ""Close your mouth and open your mind.""
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
tfparodies wrote:And to play along with your little glitch of reasoning, how many stories have you heard where usually the boyfriend gets dragged to a crappy movie? Yes, sometimes people do get forced to watch this stuff.

You do realize how ridiculous it is to have such strong opinions about movies you've never seen?

Great. This has no bearing on what I said at all.

Yes, it does. You said "Now suppose a favorite rock band of yours (or whatever genre you like the most) decides to stop making music you because hip-hop is selling these days." Burn told you how he would react in that situation.

That's a fallacy that some people think is true, but it is blatantly not for a large percentage of the population. We are given the illusion of many choices. I haven't listened to the radio in years, and, yes, it's because of the same pop crap that gets re-fed to us over and over again.

You do realize that you can actually manually change the frequency on a radio which can tune it to different stations that play different types of music, yes?

It can't be, but opinions can be changed even though most times they probably aren't. Anyone willing to actually listen to reasoning should be open to having their minds changed.

Yes, indeed.

"Winning?" For whom? Do you work for the film industry? Obviously I can argue how this certainly isn't "winning" in any respects to society as a whole. What should I care how much money Michael Bay earns in his job any more than anyone else? Why should that be winning to me? It's only winning to those who financially benefit or who are thoroughly entertained. Neither of which are me. So I take umbrage with calling it "winning".

Winning for Hasbro, Paramount, everyone who worked on the movie, those who saw it and enjoyed it, and the film industry itself because of these movies generating such high and increasing interest among the masses. That's a lot of winning. I'm sorry the minority did not find it "winning," but you simply fail to understand that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Sorry...I couldn't resist.

I can certainly point out things that wrong with the movie. And when something is wrong, yes, it's the "be all/end all". If you want to ignore mistakes or flubs or flaws in logic or continuity errors and things like that, fine, but if they exist it's pretty much a clear-cut things.

Even highly-regarded movies have flubs. Most people don't notice them, though, because they're too busy enjoying the movie.

Heh. No? Any statistician can easily argue that one, as well as some gamblers too.

So, you're saying the movies didn't make billions of dollars?

Not entirely true, as another fallacy that pervades is that somehow opinions can't be wrong. Anyway, you can say you liked the movie, but in general know that it's not very good. Same with songs, TV, etc. Yes, I have some movies that I like that are considered bad, but I like them.

If you say you like some movies that are generally considered bad, then you should have no problem with other people liking the Transformers movies.
Now, I think opinions can't be wrong unless we're talking about ethics, in which I think there is an inherent right or wrong, but to say "this movie/song/show is bad/good for a fact" is laughable. It's not going to be fact unless a supreme being reveals himself and states that we must accept it. Plus, you have to define "good" or "bad." Most people will tell you they thought X was good/bad when you ask them for their opinion on X. That usually means they liked it, because we think things are good when we like them! Do you have specific criteria for "good" that would help me better understand your position?
Please note: If you think I may be joking, I probably am.
User avatar
OptiMagnus
Gestalt
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Watch OptiMagnus on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 6

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 am

Shadowman wrote:ROTF and DOTM are in the top fifty highest-grossing movies of all time. That is objectively winning.


Objectively winning. Yeah, okay. :-\

Show me a gambler who thinks putting a billion dollars in the bank is "losing." Go on, I'll wait.
Still waiting? Good. Yet another statement that has absolutely no bearing to what is being discussed in the least.

Sometimes they can be wrong. Not very often though.
If you say so. Of course, there is no quantitative analysis to show what "not very often" means though, so, again, I fail to see the point. Even so, it only takes one case to prove that fallacy.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:54 am

OptiMagnus wrote:Yes, it does.
No. It still doesn't. I know what I said, but his response doesn't address it at all with anything substantive.

Winning for Hasbro, Paramount, everyone who worked on the movie, those who saw it and enjoyed it, and the film industry itself because of these movies generating such high and increasing interest among the masses. That's a lot of winning. I'm sorry the minority did not find it "winning," but you simply fail to understand that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Sorry...I couldn't resist.
Again, if you were part of the production team and gained from the success, good for you. I still fail to see how seeing huge corporations making even more money is "winning" for anyone but themselves. If you make the argument that movie sales and toy sales increased which helps the economy, okay, fine, at least an argument can be made. Of course, that's easily counterable.


Even highly-regarded movies have flubs. Most people don't notice them, though, because they're too busy enjoying the movie.
I am not just talking about a flub or small continuity error. I am talking big leaps of logic in the writing and horrible exposition of characters and things like that. You know, the stuff they get away with over and over again because bline eyes are turned to it whereas if some newcomer brought such a horrid script into a studio they would be shown the door very quickly? Yeah, that kind of stuff.

So, you're saying the movies didn't make billions of dollars?
I enjoy these leaps people keep making. Where did I say the movies didn't make a lot of money?

If you say you like some movies that are generally considered bad, then you should have no problem with other people liking the Transformers movies.
I think I addressed this before...

Now, I think opinions can't be wrong unless we're talking about ethics
See? This opinion is wrong. And it can easily be proved as such.

but to say "this movie/song/show is bad/good for a fact" is laughable.
Laughable, eh? Say there is an action movie that you generally like, but there are such big gaps in logic that the filmmakers can barely be said to care. For example, how many times how we seen a movie where the hero gets shot multiple times, yet still somehow is able to fistfight his way to saving the world? There is a difference in suspending disbelief and treating the audience like moronic sheep because they know they can. This is what I am arguing about. And I don't know why some people here feel the need to fight against it when we know it's true.

Do you have specific criteria for "good" that would help me better understand your position?
Lets start simply. How about we set the bar low and say things should at least make sense? I have no problem accepting such a far-out premise of giant transforming alien robots on earth, so I think I can suspend disbelief just fine.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:57 am

Look, somehow this has spun for me into a critique of the entire film industry. That's a fine debate in itself, but this all started because I don't like what I consider to be "blind" feelings in one way or another. No, I wouldn't harass a girl at a counter because she likes the Bay TF movies. But I wouldn't shrink from my true feelings if I were asked them just because some might consider it somehow mean to do so.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
tfparodies wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Show me a gambler who thinks putting a billion dollars in the bank is "losing." Go on, I'll wait.
Still waiting? Good. Yet another statement that has absolutely no bearing to what is being discussed in the least.


You brought up that the movies aren't "winning." Try to keep up here, it's not that difficult.

tfparodies wrote:I fail to see the point.


You fail to see a lot of things, I've noticed.

tfparodies wrote:Even so, it only takes one case to prove that fallacy.


Then do it already! Go on. I like the Michael Bay movies. Prove me wrong.

tfparodies wrote:I still fail to see how seeing huge corporations making even more money is "winning" for anyone but themselves.


Who else would they be winning for? Who else would stand to gain from these, or any movie?

tfparodies wrote:For example, how many times how we seen a movie where the hero gets shot multiple times, yet still somehow is able to fistfight his way to saving the world?


Pretty frequently, actually. It's practically standard in action movies.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby BeastProwl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
So people who swear hitler was a genius are entitled to that opinion because its not wrong, even though you've stated opinions can be wrong, just not ethical ones? It sounds to me like every opinion that isn't yours is wrong, because you can pussyfoot around the subject with that keyboard of yours.

I like the TF films, shoot me multiple times, and ill get right back up and fight about it.

The movies were good, in my opinion. Prove that opinion wrong,
you cant, and you wont try. Because its not possible. You'll say its possible, but you wont prove it!


Pardon if I come off a little crass, but when someone strolls up and says my point of view is wrong, I tend to express my opinions strongly, since it effects me :)
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6104
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby KWFlange » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Motto: "I've got better things to do tonight than die!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
You know, the more I look at the post provided by the OP, the more I think the cashier was just getting the stare down by her supervisor. In most retail environments they are held accountable to a scorecard which measures how long they are with customers about 6 ways.

Or it is a fake story.

Likely just a piece of spin propaganda to "get those GEEEWUUUN people".

I can't imagine anyone going up to a person and being like "you don't like the right Transformers idiot!" when there is so much to talk about.
I am not a huge movie fan, but there is enough i like about them to have a conversation with another TF fan. And you could always use the conversation to suggest they watch G1 or Beast Wars, Or Animated etc.

Seems like BS to me. Kinda like the "Will Ferrel gets super buff all the time, click this link" crap you see on facebook.
User avatar
KWFlange
Mini-Con
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby OptiMagnus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Motto: ""Close your mouth and open your mind.""
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
KWFlange wrote:You know, the more I look at the post provided by the OP, the more I think the cashier was just getting the stare down by her supervisor. In most retail environments they are held accountable to a scorecard which measures how long they are with customers about 6 ways.

Or it is a fake story.

Likely just a piece of spin propaganda to "get those GEEEWUUUN people".

I can't imagine anyone going up to a person and being like "you don't like the right Transformers idiot!" when there is so much to talk about.
I am not a huge movie fan, but there is enough i like about them to have a conversation with another TF fan. And you could always use the conversation to suggest they watch G1 or Beast Wars, Or Animated etc.

Seems like BS to me. Kinda like the "Will Ferrel gets super buff all the time, click this link" crap you see on facebook.

I don't think it's necessarily fake. There have been some absolute nut jobs on this forum and others who I have no doubt would scold someone in public given the way they behaved. Frequent this place long enough and one or two of them will pop up. They don't last long, either.
Please note: If you think I may be joking, I probably am.
User avatar
OptiMagnus
Gestalt
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Watch OptiMagnus on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 6

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 am

Shadowman wrote:You fail to see a lot of things, I've noticed.
Yep. Says quite a lot, eh?

Then do it already! Go on. I like the Michael Bay movies. Prove me wrong.
Yet again, another missed point.

Who else would they be winning for? Who else would stand to gain from these, or any movie?
Thank you for solidifying my point.

Pretty frequently, actually. It's practically standard in action movies.
Yes, again, that's my point. There are those of us who are fine accepting that and those of us who expect better.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 am

BeastProwl wrote:So people who swear hitler was a genius are entitled to that opinion because its not wrong, even though you've stated opinions can be wrong, just not ethical ones? It sounds to me like every opinion that isn't yours is wrong, because you can pussyfoot around the subject with that keyboard of yours.


Interesting example. And what am I pussyfooting around? I am explaining quite clearly. How much clearer can I be than say opinions CAN be wrong? It's not even a matter of debate really, just common knowledge that some people fail to accept for whatever reasons they chose. I think mostly because it's ingrained that it's somehow anti-PC to think so, which is a huge topic in itself.

But okay, lets get even more basic. It is my opinion that the tooth fairy really exists. I guess since that doesn't bring up any ethical concerns (except for dentists, perhaps?) my opinion can't be wrong eh?

I like the TF films, shoot me multiple times, and ill get right back up and fight about it.
That's fine. All that really would mean for me is that if we knew one another personally I would probably never want to see the movies you want to see. That's all.

The movies were good, in my opinion. Prove that opinion wrong,
you cant, and you wont try. Because its not possible. You'll say its possible, but you wont prove it!
So you haven't followed at all thus far yet somehow think you know what I am going to say. Okay. :-\

If you wanted to debate me on the finer points of the TF movies, obviously I can see us going back and forth for a while. And while I may disagree very much with your opinions about them I wont be able to prove them wrong in some cases. Except if you bring up plot-points that don't make sense. Those are provable. But if you think Prime looks good and I think he looks like crap, that's a matter of opinion that isn't provable one way or another, though I think I can make strong arguments for what I think and not just say "fanboy" saying it's "just cool because it is gr8 and rockz". (I am not saying you are doing this, just an example.)

Pardon if I come off a little crass, but when someone strolls up and says my point of view is wrong, I tend to express my opinions strongly, since it effects me :)
I never said your opinions were wrong. Nor did I "stroll up" to you and tell you as much. But that's okay, as I don't shy away from crassness if the situation calls for it and welcome open debate.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 am

KWFlange wrote:You know, the more I look at the post provided by the OP, the more I think the cashier was just getting the stare down by her supervisor. In most retail environments they are held accountable to a scorecard which measures how long they are with customers about 6 ways.

Or it is a fake story.

Likely just a piece of spin propaganda to "get those GEEEWUUUN people".
Yes, I took it as fake also. It's seems like one of those "meme"-type things that people fill in the blanks for whatever situation and spread around and people eat it up, which is mostly why I initially went against it as those things amount to nothing more than chain-letters.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Burn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 pm

tfparodies wrote:How much clearer can I be than say opinions CAN be wrong?


Sure they can.

But if someone says they like the Transformer movies, that's not wrong. That's just their opinion.

But okay, lets get even more basic. It is my opinion that the tooth fairy really exists. I guess since that doesn't bring up any ethical concerns (except for dentists, perhaps?) my opinion can't be wrong eh?


Given that the parents/guardians often play the role of the Tooth Fairy, same as Santa Claus, then one could say that the spirit of the alleged (they've yet to be disproven) mythical characters exists, thus I don't see any problem in you believing in the Tooth Fairy, or at the very least, the spirit of it. Image

I like the TF films, shoot me multiple times, and ill get right back up and fight about it.
That's fine. All that really would mean for me is that if we knew one another personally I would probably never want to see the movies you want to see. That's all.


Wow ... judging a person because they like one movie franchise. You're just a giant ray of sunshine aren't you?
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38828
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
tfparodies wrote:
Shadowman wrote:You fail to see a lot of things, I've noticed.
Yep. Says quite a lot, eh?


Yes. For instance, it says you probably won't be spending much time on here when this thread gets locked.

tfparodies wrote:
Then do it already! Go on. I like the Michael Bay movies. Prove me wrong.
Yet again, another missed point.


What's really funny is that I knew ahead of time you weren't going to actually prove me wrong. You say it's a missed point, but I know you really just can't. Come on, you kept saying you could, I want to see you fail miserably at it!

tfparodies wrote:
Who else would they be winning for? Who else would stand to gain from these, or any movie?
Thank you for solidifying my point.


Um...wow, that was literally the opposite of your point.

tfparodies wrote:
Pretty frequently, actually. It's practically standard in action movies.
Yes, again, that's my point. There are those of us who are fine accepting that and those of us who expect better.


You're saying this on a Transformers forum. You know, that franchise where death is inconsequential?
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby BeastProwl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
You did stroll up and state my opinions were wrong, the minute you posted in this thread and I read it. This is a fandom. You made your bed now sleep in it. Since when are plot points a part of my stated opinion as a whole? Thats something you made up to make it look like your whole "I can prove your state of mind wrong" BS look like it had some weight. See heres my counterpoint. Prove my opinions are wrong. It really is that simple, right? You say so, so its gotta be true!
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6104
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Burn wrote:Wow ... judging a person because they like one movie franchise. You're just a giant ray of sunshine aren't you?
This makes so little sense that I'm not sure where to start. Fine. Movies and music are the two biggest recreational things I can think of where people seem to have the most opinions or the most judgment. "I can't stand rom-coms!" "I wont watch a horror movie." Or, in my case, "the TF movies totally suck and I've seen fortune cookies with more plot."

Yeah, I guess I just made that up and it's never been done before that people have disagreed and had different tastes in movies. No. it's not something that just about 100% of people do. You caught me. #-o

Wow. Grasping at straws defined.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Shadowman wrote:Yes. For instance, it says you probably won't be spending much time on here when this thread gets locked.
And locking a message board topic where people are discussing something at a reasonable civilized level is a huge fault on message boards in general. I wouldn't ask for this to be locked nor would I hope anyone else would. It's not like there's a bevy of activity on this board.

What's really funny is that I knew ahead of time you weren't going to actually prove me wrong. You say it's a missed point, but I know you really just can't. Come on, you kept saying you could, I want to see you fail miserably at it!
Wait, so you missed the point twice now and asked me to do something I never said I would do in the first place, and somehow that's ME failing miserably? Well, given the lapse in logic from the start I guess I should't be surprised by this.

Um...wow, that was literally the opposite of your point.
Uh huh. This isn't like directions where 3 rights make a left. Missing the point twice or more doesn't set you on the right course.

You're saying this on a Transformers forum. You know, that franchise where death is inconsequential?
I wasn't talking about character death, but yes, I do see the ironic nature of some of this. I said it before, since I can accept the premise of the alien robots existing in the first place you would think the writers of the Bay movies would really have to screw up for me to not like it. And that is exactly what they've done over and over.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
I like that you keep saying I've missed the point, over and over, ad nauseum, when really you just can't defend yourself. If we do counter one of your points, you'll just say we're missing the point, or that it's not what's being discussed, or that it's a fallacy that you can disprove, but if we actually ask you to disprove it, we're just missing the point.

Just because someone likes the movies, doesn't mean their opinions are wrong. Just because you don't like the movies doesn't mean your opinions are right. Now grow up and deal with it.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:59 pm

BeastProwl wrote:You did stroll up and state my opinions were wrong, the minute you posted in this thread and I read it. This is a fandom. You made your bed now sleep in it.
Wow. Really. I mean... really? You have the choice of editing that, you know. That's really what you're going to go with, eh?

Since when are plot points a part of my stated opinion as a whole?
Since when? Since they are a major part of a movie you say you like and they are just as valid a topic of discussion as any other aspect, some would say perhaps the most valid.

Thats something you made up to make it look like your whole "I can prove your state of mind wrong" BS look like it had some weight.
This coming from the person who just wrote the above, which epitomizes exactly what you just said here? Wow.

But, okay, fine. Yes, you too have caught me. Forgive me my "BS" that a plot point can be wrong. You know, even in good movies there are often plot points that are mistaken, right? Oh wait, I guess it's all BS.

See heres my counterpoint. Prove my opinions are wrong. It really is that simple, right? You say so, so its gotta be true!
I would be happy to if I can. If they aren't provable wrong than the best I can do is tell you why I think they are wrong. If that will suffice, than I don't mind the exercise.

What's truly funny about all this is that while some of you are arguing against my point that opinions can be wrong, you are inherently saying my opinion is wrong! Gotta love that.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
tfparodies wrote:What's truly funny about all this is that while some of you are arguing against my point that opinions can be wrong, you are inherently saying my opinion is wrong! Gotta love that.


Because the difference between Subjective and Objective isn't a matter of opinion. If you're going to try and call us hypocrites, at least don't be painfully ignorant about the subject matter.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Shadowman wrote:I like that you keep saying I've missed the point, over and over, ad nauseum, when really you just can't defend yourself. If we do counter one of your points, you'll just say we're missing the point, or that it's not what's being discussed, or that it's a fallacy that you can disprove, but if we actually ask you to disprove it, we're just missing the point.

Just because someone likes the movies, doesn't mean their opinions are wrong. Just because you don't like the movies doesn't mean your opinions are right. Now grow up and deal with it.
That's not what's been happening here. It's all there if you want to try to go back and understand it. No sense repeating over and over again.

Grow up and deal? If I tried to shy away from this thread I think you can call me childish or whatever. But I am here still.

Lets see, I made my point clearly, yet have been told I've been "pussyfooting".

I have been accused of saying things I have not.
I have been told I actually strolled up to someone and blasted their opinion when I have never met nor heard their opinion in the first place.
I have been told my original statement on opinions was wrong, when that actually makes my original point.
I have been asked to do things I said I could not do as if I didn't say those things.

I'm telling you, guys, an objective observer wouldn't have a hard time saying which side of this debate has gone somewhat batty, even if they do disagree with me. But, this is the internet after all.

If there's something specific and stated that needs to be made clearer, by all means point it out. I am not saying I might not be at fault for some of this confusion. But to ask me to do or say something that goes against my original intent when it was never the point to begin with is tedious and time-wasting.

To be absolutely 100% clear on this: I have not said I can prove your opinions wrong if you happen to like a certain film or not I am not sure where this point was missed or why I keep getting asked to do that.
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby Shadowman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Basically, you can't tell the difference between "subjective" and "objective" and you think this somehow proves you right.

The movies were great, now prove my subjective viewpoint wrong. Otherwise, I will refer you to my previous statement of grow up.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29049
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: A Friendly Reminder to the Transformers Fandom

Postby tfparodies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Shadowman wrote:Basically, you can't tell the difference between "subjective" and "objective" and you think this somehow proves you right.
Thank you for this! That opinion of yours is 100% wrong.

See guys? It can happen! :)

(Lets see if we get the "it's not opinion, it's a fact!" response! That would rock. Alas, I think I've tainted those waters.)
User avatar
tfparodies
Micromaster
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm
Watch tfparodies on YouTube

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014