Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak, Seibertron, Counterpunch

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 am

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Tronus_Rex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:But, if you enjoyed the 3rd, then please, enjoy it. Unless it actually stops being fun for you, why care what anyone thinks, but yourself?


Because every time I watch the movies, all I can think about is how much everyone hates them, then I feel like a dumbass for liking things no one else does.


:APPLAUSE: I hear ya', & it sucks! Pear pressure today is ridiculous. To many trolls online will say things like, "kill yourself" if you say something like - I like the new Mickey Mouse Cartoon's. Or the console war fanboys attacking each other for stupid crap.

I think that's why Transformers and so many other things get such harsh criticism. It's some primitive alpha male crap, people are trying to be cool by hating them more than the last guy. It's like that with everything: Politics, sports, music, etc. If there's an opinion to be had or a side to choose everyone will try to one-up each other to the point where logic and reason don't apply.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby RhA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:01 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:But, if you enjoyed the 3rd, then please, enjoy it. Unless it actually stops being fun for you, why care what anyone thinks, but yourself?


Because every time I watch the movies, all I can think about is how much everyone hates them, then I feel like a dumbass for liking things no one else does.


:APPLAUSE: I hear ya', & it sucks! Pear pressure today is ridiculous. To many trolls online will say things like, "kill yourself" if you say something like - I like the new Mickey Mouse Cartoon's. Or the console war fanboys attacking each other for stupid crap.

I think that's why Transformers and so many other things get such harsh criticism. It's some primitive alpha male crap, people are trying to be cool by hating them more than the last guy. It's like that with everything: Politics, sports, music, etc. If there's an opinion to be had or a side to choose everyone will try to one-up each other to the point where logic and reason don't apply.


And yet, in real life, no one seems to have the balls to yell at you for liking the movies in the same way as it happens online.
Image
Latest TF: Generations Skids, Generations Rhinox & MIB G1 Whirl
User avatar
RhA
City Commander
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Underwhere
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby njb902 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:10 am

RhA wrote:
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:But, if you enjoyed the 3rd, then please, enjoy it. Unless it actually stops being fun for you, why care what anyone thinks, but yourself?


Because every time I watch the movies, all I can think about is how much everyone hates them, then I feel like a dumbass for liking things no one else does.


:APPLAUSE: I hear ya', & it sucks! Pear pressure today is ridiculous. To many trolls online will say things like, "kill yourself" if you say something like - I like the new Mickey Mouse Cartoon's. Or the console war fanboys attacking each other for stupid crap.

I think that's why Transformers and so many other things get such harsh criticism. It's some primitive alpha male crap, people are trying to be cool by hating them more than the last guy. It's like that with everything: Politics, sports, music, etc. If there's an opinion to be had or a side to choose everyone will try to one-up each other to the point where logic and reason don't apply.


And yet, in real life, no one seems to have the balls to yell at you for liking the movies in the same way as it happens online.


If I'm ever in Europe again I'd be happy to come yell at you. I've learned from some very "inventive" Sergeants :HEADHURTS:
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby TurboMMaster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Motto: ""Have a hig gun? Have a big fun!!!""
Weapon: Cyclone Gun
Well, personally there is only two reason why I'm Bay hater: RotF ending and DotM ending. It is obvious that Bay couldn't care less about Decepticon fans. While other things in movies were extremly annoying and because of them movies were bad. The way Bay changed the endigs of movies was the moment when I become a true Bay Antifan. Later, after discovering how much original scripts were different from original in term of jokes etc. I understand that there is a strong reason to dislike him.
Image
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, Don't hurt me, no more.
User avatar
TurboMMaster
Vehicon
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 am
Watch TurboMMaster on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
TurboMMaster wrote:Well, personally there is only two reason why I'm Bay hater: RotF ending and DotM ending. It is obvious that Bay couldn't care less about Decepticon fans. While other things in movies were extremly annoying and because of them movies were bad. The way Bay changed the endigs of movies was the moment when I become a true Bay Antifan. Later, after discovering how much original scripts were different from original in term of jokes etc. I understand that there is a strong reason to dislike him.


Hey there, Turbomaster! I come in peace. :D

I do agree that the original ending to DOTM, as seen in the novel, would have been more natural and personally, more satisfying. Thing is, not everything is Bay's fault. I can't really say for sure, but he has a few higher-ups to answer to, and it was more likely an executive decision to make the ending different from that of the novel.

Granted, it was done haphazardly, but it was probably a last minute decision.

As for ROTF, it's a result of really, really bad timing (writers' strike) and Bay's less-than-capable scriptwriting abilities. He was given a "film treatment" (basically screenwriter's speak for a synopsis) by O&K just before the strike, and tried to flesh it out himself, resulting in (quoted from Wikipedia) "...more action, humor and characters."

Once the strike was over, Orci had to (again quoting Wikipedia) "'modulate' the humor more, and felt he managed the more 'outrageous' jokes by balancing them with a more serious plot approach to the Transformers' mythology."

Wouldn't be too hard on Bay, though; scriptwriting isn't a compulsory part of a director's job...unless said director have a flair for it. Bay doesn't, apparently. But hey, what do I know? I'm just an opinionated moviegoer like most everyone else here. >:oP

At the end of the day, he's just trying to get the job done and feed his...family? I'm not sure if he's married, but he does have a dog. And a gorgeous sports car.

I'm no more a fan of ROTF or the DOTM ending than you are, but you've got to admit there are quite a few awesome robot fight scenes in there. Just fast-forward past the jackass human actors.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Autobot032 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
TurboMMaster wrote:Well, personally there is only two reason why I'm Bay hater: RotF ending and DotM ending. It is obvious that Bay couldn't care less about Decepticon fans. While other things in movies were extremly annoying and because of them movies were bad. The way Bay changed the endigs of movies was the moment when I become a true Bay Antifan. Later, after discovering how much original scripts were different from original in term of jokes etc. I understand that there is a strong reason to dislike him.


I have to be brutally honest: Decepticon fans aren't the norm. While liking a villain to some degree is normal, wanting them to win just isn't.

No one really likes to see the bad guy win, and those who do are slim to none. Raksha was one and she was quite the nutter. (Seriously, look up her story sometime. SCARY.)

And especially the public, for whom these movies are really made, definitely doesn't want to see the bad guys win.

To be surprised and disgusted by a director who pushes the agenda of the good guys winning is just silly. You should know going in what's up from the get go. The villains winning doesn't really work for a lot of people and the majority can speak with their wallets more than the minority can.

I like the Decepticons when they're written well, such as Prime Megatron, Soundwave and Knock Out. I never wanted to see them succeed, however.

I don't think these pro villain people have ever experienced real terrorism. If they had, they'd be singing a different tune. Fortunately for them they haven't.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8463
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I think what those who want the Cons to win more mean when they say this is something like how Pirate 2 or Empire Strikes Back ended, with the bad guys getting the upper hand in the end and putting the story's conclusion on a cliffhanger that would lead into the next film, in which the good guys would make their triumphant counterstrike and claim ultimate victory in the end.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14827
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby njb902 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't mind the bad guys winning battles, it makes them more credible. For the most part though they shouldn't win the war, unless they are zombies. Cause zombies are so cute [-(
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:I think what those who want the Cons to win more mean when they say this is something like how Pirate 2 or Empire Strikes Back ended, with the bad guys getting the upper hand in the end and putting the story's conclusion on a cliffhanger that would lead into the next film, in which the good guys would make their triumphant counterstrike and claim ultimate victory in the end.


Actually, I'd like to see the Decepticons seem like more of a real threat. Even if there's no way the bad guys will win in such a movie, I'd like them to at least seem as if they CAN win.

As I've already elaborated in an earlier post, the problem lies with Bay's obligation to the military. In order to save on budget, he enlisted the help of the military who lent him logistics support and manpower. In return, he would make them look cool and almighty. Fighter jets, bombers and cruise missiles seem to solve just about every problem in the movies, though much less so in DOTM.

A side effect of this is that the Cons look like chumps. Rarely do you see a Decepticon wipe out a group of soldiers, but most of the time, you'll see Con soldiers firing blindly at nothing in particular and then get blasted in the chest and die.

Before you say it, I realize that's why these guys are called "canon fodder." But when you only see it happen to the enemy and the good guys seem to take no casualties at all (human soldiers getting killed is apparently off-limits due to Bay's agreement with the military), it makes the bad guy look incompetent, and not even worthy of being called a threat.

That said, DOTM made a few improvements that I like. NEST soldiers now have more of a rapport with the Autobots, with scenes of Bumblebee training with them, and a soldier responding to Ratchet's instructions when using a mortar. Also, we also see Cons killing some human civilians, showing that they're not just for show.

Best of all, the humans had to "earn" their missile strike by infiltrating Chicago instead of just calling it in.

And to be fair, the first movie at least gave the impression that the Cons were competent strategists, what with Blackout's infiltration of the base in Qatar, Frenzy's virus, and Starscream disguising himself as an F-22 Raptor and launching a surprise attack.

I'd still like to see groups of human soldiers getting at least mortally wounded in the battlefield (onscreen, not just implied), just to hammer in the fact that the Cons are formidable fighters as well. But as long as Bay has the military's aid and the agreement holds, human soldiers will always look invincible in TF movies.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SlyTF1 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I think what those who want the Cons to win more mean when they say this is something like how Pirate 2 or Empire Strikes Back ended, with the bad guys getting the upper hand in the end and putting the story's conclusion on a cliffhanger that would lead into the next film, in which the good guys would make their triumphant counterstrike and claim ultimate victory in the end.


Actually, I'd like to see the Decepticons seem like more of a real threat. Even if there's no way the bad guys will win in such a movie, I'd like them to at least seem as if they CAN win.

As I've already elaborated in an earlier post, the problem lies with Bay's obligation to the military. In order to save on budget, he enlisted the help of the military who lent him logistics support and manpower. In return, he would make them look cool and almighty. Fighter jets, bombers and cruise missiles seem to solve just about every problem in the movies, though much less so in DOTM.

A side effect of this is that the Cons look like chumps. Rarely do you see a Decepticon wipe out a group of soldiers, but most of the time, you'll see Con soldiers firing blindly at nothing in particular and then get blasted in the chest and die.

Before you say it, I realize that's why these guys are called "canon fodder." But when you only see it happen to the enemy and the good guys seem to take no casualties at all (human soldiers getting killed is apparently off-limits due to Bay's agreement with the military), it makes the bad guy look incompetent, and not even worthy of being called a threat.

That said, DOTM made a few improvements that I like. NEST soldiers now have more of a rapport with the Autobots, with scenes of Bumblebee training with them, and a soldier responding to Ratchet's instructions when using a mortar. Also, we also see Cons killing some human civilians, showing that they're not just for show.

Best of all, the humans had to "earn" their missile strike by infiltrating Chicago instead of just calling it in.

And to be fair, the first movie at least gave the impression that the Cons were competent strategists, what with Blackout's infiltration of the base in Qatar, Frenzy's virus, and Starscream disguising himself as an F-22 Raptor and launching a surprise attack.

I'd still like to see groups of human soldiers getting at least mortally wounded in the battlefield (onscreen, not just implied), just to hammer in the fact that the Cons are formidable fighters as well. But as long as Bay has the military's aid and the agreement holds, human soldiers will always look invincible in TF movies.


Did you not see all those soldiers who got hit by Decepticon missiles in ROTF? There were about 2 or 3 shots of soldiers getting blown away by missiles. The Fallen even cut one guy's head off when he took a swing at a bunch of soldiers. Also, in the beginning of the movie when Demolisher revealed himself to NEST, they showed that one guy on the ground, screaming.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3721
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
There's also that whole scene with Scorponok in the first movie.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14827
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
SlyTF1 wrote:Did you not see all those soldiers who got hit by Decepticon missiles in ROTF? There were about 2 or 3 shots of soldiers getting blown away by missiles. The Fallen even cut one guy's head off when he took a swing at a bunch of soldiers. Also, in the beginning of the movie when Demolisher revealed himself to NEST, they showed that one guy on the ground, screaming.


No, not really. Which is my whole point--the Decepticon casualties were emphasized a lot more than the human ones. In fact, had you not brought it up, I wouldn't have even noticed. What I do remember are the scenes of Decepticons getting incinerated in a bombing raid, and a certain one that got his head shot off, because they were closeup shots.

To put it bluntly: not enough soldier casualties, and not enough emphasis. I want whole groups of soldiers writhing on the ground, clutching cauterized wounds from Con laser blasts. I want to a soldier's eyes pop wide open with surprise as an incoming plasma bolt sears toward him. War isn't neat or pretty, and when you have flesh and bone going up against metal, the results should be messy.

...but, that would scare the kids too much and have the military up in arms.


Sly, I know you're a massive fan of ROTF and I respect that.

Personally, I watched ROTF like I watch every other movie, without any extra favor or dislike. Despite being a collector, I'm not a "dedicated" fan of the franchise. As far as the movies are concerned, I'm just a casual viewer. I don't analyze each scene for details. If it doesn't pop out to me the first time, then IMO it wasn't depicted strongly enough.

I can understand why you're especially protective of ROTF, since it's your favorite TF movie.

Just to make matters clear, I'm not bashing it or heaping undue discredit to ROTF. I just feel there's a lot of improvement that could have been done to it.

Why is it that the only ROTF fan who doesn't take my comments out of context is Capt.Failure? :BANG_HEAD:
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:There's also that whole scene with Scorponok in the first movie.


I must come off as a bloodthirsty psycho, but again, not enough blood and damage for my tastes--must have gotten too accustomed to Shingeki no Kyoujin. That said, that scene where Scorponok skewers the soldier with the glasses was pretty impressive.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:43 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Well, there are plenty of TF cartoons and comics out there that don't nearly have the level of gore and grimness that you're asking of the movies, but do you still think that the Cons of those shows and comics weren't threatening in them either? Or if you do, why is that if said shows/comics lack the violence you desire?
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14827
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SlyTF1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:04 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:Did you not see all those soldiers who got hit by Decepticon missiles in ROTF? There were about 2 or 3 shots of soldiers getting blown away by missiles. The Fallen even cut one guy's head off when he took a swing at a bunch of soldiers. Also, in the beginning of the movie when Demolisher revealed himself to NEST, they showed that one guy on the ground, screaming.


No, not really. Which is my whole point--the Decepticon casualties were emphasized a lot more than the human ones. In fact, had you not brought it up, I wouldn't have even noticed. What I do remember are the scenes of Decepticons getting incinerated in a bombing raid, and a certain one that got his head shot off, because they were closeup shots.

To put it bluntly: not enough soldier casualties, and not enough emphasis. I want whole groups of soldiers writhing on the ground, clutching cauterized wounds from Con laser blasts. I want to a soldier's eyes pop wide open with surprise as an incoming plasma bolt sears toward him. War isn't neat or pretty, and when you have flesh and bone going up against metal, the results should be messy.

...but, that would scare the kids too much and have the military up in arms.


Sly, I know you're a massive fan of ROTF and I respect that.

Personally, I watched ROTF like I watch every other movie, without any extra favor or dislike. Despite being a collector, I'm not a "dedicated" fan of the franchise. As far as the movies are concerned, I'm just a casual viewer. I don't analyze each scene for details. If it doesn't pop out to me the first time, then IMO it wasn't depicted strongly enough.

I can understand why you're especially protective of ROTF, since it's your favorite TF movie.

Just to make matters clear, I'm not bashing it or heaping undue discredit to ROTF. I just feel there's a lot of improvement that could have been done to it.

Why is it that the only ROTF fan who doesn't take my comments out of context is Capt.Failure? :BANG_HEAD:


Actually, my favorite is DOTM. But I protect ROTF just because everyone hates it so much. So, I kind of feel the need to defend it more. It's pretty much the only thing I've ever given a damn enough about to defend, EVER, so I kind of get defensive about it. But it does have problems, and I acknowledge that. The main problem I have with it is the "goofiness," but If they had taken all that stupid stuff out, I think a lot more people would have liked it... a lot more. Plus, I remember people complaining about the first movie being "not cheesy enough," so, maybe that stuff was Bay's response to that.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3721
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:27 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:Well, there are plenty of TF cartoons and comics out there that don't nearly have the level of gore and grimness that you're asking of the movies, but do you still think that the Cons of those shows and comics weren't threatening in them either? Or if you do, why is that if said shows/comics lack the violence you desire?


To be very honest, the only TF media I've watched is the movies, TF Prime the G1 cartoons, and that it's about it. I don't read the comics, more due to a lack of availability than disinterest--I don't know as any comic stores nearby, and I can't be bothered to search them out.

As for GI and TFP, they're kid fodder, so I don't expect them to be violent in any way. But in G1's case, the Cons at least felt more formidable when you see human gunfire bouncing off them, and they just laugh it off.

As for TFP specifically, I don't recall a lot of direct skirmishes between humans and Decepticons, except that one time where Soundwave attacked a facility to steal a piece of equipment. I liked how Agent Fowler evacuated the human soldiers and sent in the Autobots; it's the implication that the Autobots stand a much better chance at fighting the Cons, thus giving them a sense of being a threat that humans can't handle.

In a live-action movie, the best way to emphasize that is to show soldier casualties. Another way is the hackneyed "destruction of world monuments." Basically, something that says, "fight all you want, but we're way out of your league."

To put it in simple words, I want the Decepticons to be a force that only the Autobots can match. Humans shouldn't be able to stand up to them and win, because they're the extras; the Autobots are the real stars of the show.

Or at least they should be.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
SlyTF1 wrote:Actually, my favorite is DOTM.


Then believe it or not, we actually have something in common.

SlyTF1 wrote:But I protect ROTF just because everyone hates it so much. So, I kind of feel the need to defend it more. It's pretty much the only thing I've ever given a damn enough about to defend, EVER, so I kind of get defensive about it.


Well, I'm not one of those who attack a movie for the sake of it, so you can rest easy here.

SlyTF1 wrote: But it does have problems, and I acknowledge that. The main problem I have with it is the "goofiness," but If they had taken all that stupid stuff out, I think a lot more people would have liked it... a lot more.


Agreed. I know I would have liked it a whole lot more if the jokes were taken out.

SlyTF1 wrote:Plus, I remember people complaining about the first movie being "not cheesy enough," so, maybe that stuff was Bay's response to that.


Wait, what?

Personally, I've never heard of such complaints before, but if it's true, then they deserve what they got. :roll:
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby TurboMMaster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:42 am

Motto: ""Have a hig gun? Have a big fun!!!""
Weapon: Cyclone Gun
Autobot032 wrote:I have to be brutally honest: Decepticon fans aren't the norm. While liking a villain to some degree is normal, wanting them to win just isn't.
Empire Strike Back? The movie consider as a best movie in the Franchise? Also Decepticons won a lot in seasons finale. In Beast Wars, Aramda and Prime we got non-final conclusion with Decepticons wining. Then thy not in Bayformers, where Decepticons have adventage in any way possible?
Image
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, Don't hurt me, no more.
User avatar
TurboMMaster
Vehicon
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 am
Watch TurboMMaster on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:32 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
TurboMMaster wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:I have to be brutally honest: Decepticon fans aren't the norm. While liking a villain to some degree is normal, wanting them to win just isn't.
Empire Strike Back? The movie consider as a best movie in the Franchise?


You make an interesting comparison. The thing is, George Lucas meant for Star Wars to be a trilogy from the start, as did Peter Jackson when he filmed LotR.

The second movie in a proper trilogy will always end with the villains gaining the upper hand, and the good guys either in peril or at a disadvantage. This is true in Star Wars, it's true in The Matrix, and its also true in LotR.

Frankly, the TF trilogy is one in name only. It actually has more in common with the Highlander movies than SW. As much as Hasbro would have loved to make a whole series of TF movies, it all hinged on the success of the first one. Even now, Paramount is going on a movie-by-movie basis, making no promises of a TF5 or 6. If things start to fall apart and keep falling apart, they'll pull the plug.

My point is, TF was never a 3-in-1 combo package. With Star Wars and LotR, take away even one movie, and the whole story is incomplete. The Matrix is the sole exception because they only decided to make it a trilogy after the first movie.

The TF trilogy isn't a proper trilogy, so it wouldn't possibly follow the traditional pattern of one.

TurboMMaster wrote:Also Decepticons won a lot in seasons finale. In Beast Wars, Aramda and Prime we got non-final conclusion with Decepticons wining. Then thy not in Bayformers, where Decepticons have adventage in any way possible?


I suggest you read my post on Bay's mutual agreement with the military. It should answer some of your questions.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
TurboMMaster wrote:Also Decepticons won a lot in seasons finale. In Beast Wars, Aramda and Prime we got non-final conclusion with Decepticons wining.
When did this happen in Armada (which was only one season, btw)?
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14827
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby TurboMMaster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Motto: ""Have a hig gun? Have a big fun!!!""
Weapon: Cyclone Gun
Sabrblade wrote:
TurboMMaster wrote:Also Decepticons won a lot in seasons finale. In Beast Wars, Aramda and Prime we got non-final conclusion with Decepticons wining.
When did this happen in Armada (which was only one season, btw)?
Decepticons can be consider as a wining side of "Earth Campaign", because they gain the most powerfull known weapon in the universe, and Prime died, leaving autobot with young and weak leader.
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:You make an interesting comparison. The thing is, George Lucas meant for Star Wars to be a trilogy from the start, as did Peter Jackson when he filmed LotR.
And this is one of the reasons why Bayformers is so bad, and one of the few that where bay isn't a cause of it. Each movie seems to be created only because the last one sold very well, and instead of epic saga, we got three movies where everything can be different in the sequel. Also, I think Transformers just like LotF should be produced in one year cycle. Because waiting few years is to much for me, if Universe supposed to be consistent.
Image
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, Don't hurt me, no more.
User avatar
TurboMMaster
Vehicon
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 am
Watch TurboMMaster on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Tronus_Rex » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm

In the context of the whole "trilogy" and ongoing series subject, "Desolation of Smaug", according to - 2 different friends of mine, who both HATE all Jackson/Tolkien films, they've said that, Hobbit 2, is "awesome", "incredible, "exciting", & could become a favorite film, in general.

I loved the 1st Hobbit, [because I saw it in 2D], still enjoy the LotR trilogy, & I'm a long time fan of the books, to me, Hobbit 2 DoS is Jackson's best epic, yet.

I SOOO MUUCH, want TF4, to be like this as well. I want it to succeed, doing the "Robot's in Disguise" theme right, with more time for robots & more credible 'Cons.

That would not require to much of a change in human to robot screen time. Just a shift in script & direction choice.

Image

http://thelordandthering.deviantart.com/art/TF4-Concept-Art-382885173

I'm sure that those who are hesitant & will wait to hear reviews. Myself, I will just go and see it, & judge for myself if I enjoy it, & consider it the film EVERYONE has been asking for, [Bayformer film fans included].

Image

...Also, Smaug is the new Darth Vader.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
TurboMMaster wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
TurboMMaster wrote:Also Decepticons won a lot in seasons finale. In Beast Wars, Aramda and Prime we got non-final conclusion with Decepticons wining.
When did this happen in Armada (which was only one season, btw)?
Decepticons can be consider as a wining side of "Earth Campaign", because they gain the most powerfull known weapon in the universe, and Prime died, leaving autobot with young and weak leader.
And then the Cons took their big weapon of death and destruction and just ran away, leaving Earth under full Autobot control and protection. :P
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14827
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
TurboMMaster wrote:And this is one of the reasons why Bayformers is so bad, and one of the few that where bay isn't a cause of it. Each movie seems to be created only because the last one sold very well, and instead of epic saga, we got three movies where everything can be different in the sequel. Also, I think Transformers just like LotF should be produced in one year cycle. Because waiting few years is to much for me, if Universe supposed to be consistent.


The main thing that differentiates Michael Bay from Jackson and Lucas (in this context at least) is that the latter two are passionate fans of the subject matter, and the former was just doing his job. Bay has time and again made it clear that he's not a fan of TF's.

In the eyes of Jackson and Lucas, LotR and SW are their babies, their preciousssss ( ;) ). Bay had the TF movie thrust upon him by Spielberg, and he only took on the job out of respect for the man.

To be fair, Bay did what he could for the movie despite his lack of passion for the subject matter, and it turned out unexpectedly well.

Frankly, the first TF movie was a bit of a sleeper hit. Through the years, we've been so jaded by all the B-grade video game adaptations and tie-ins of popular cartoons. I can't speak for other fans or collectors, but I literally scoffed at the news of a live-action TF movie. "Ooh, another live-action bastardization of our favorite childhood franchises," I thought.

Call me faithless, but I never expected it to be nearly as successful as it was. Nor did I expect to fall in love with TF's all over again because of it.

A trilogy is an exceedingly risky and expensive undertaking, and before the first movie had proven itself, Paramount had no reason to even suspect that the franchise might be worth the investment. Sadly, Paramount still doesn't think so. They're willing to let the franchise continue for as long as it can sell tickets, but are ready to pull the plug at any time.

Tronus_Rex wrote:I SOOO MUUCH, want TF4, to be like this as well. I want it to succeed, doing the "Robot's in Disguise" theme right, with more time for robots & more credible 'Cons.

That would not require to much of a change in human to robot screen time. Just a shift in script & direction choice.


In other words, you mean this? :D

Image

Just kidding.

Speaking of The Hobbit, I enjoyed it as well. Which is surprising, because I've always preferred the darker and grittier A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Pretty sure I'll enjoy The Desolation of Smaug, too.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Bay says "No goofiness" in Age of Extinction

Postby Tronus_Rex » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:59 pm

SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
TurboMMaster wrote:And this is one of the reasons why Bayformers is so bad, and one of the few that where bay isn't a cause of it. Each movie seems to be created only because the last one sold very well, and instead of epic saga, we got three movies where everything can be different in the sequel. Also, I think Transformers just like LotF should be produced in one year cycle. Because waiting few years is to much for me, if Universe supposed to be consistent.


The main thing that differentiates Michael Bay from Jackson and Lucas (in this context at least) is that the latter two are passionate fans of the subject matter, and the former was just doing his job. Bay has time and again made it clear that he's not a fan of TF's.

In the eyes of Jackson and Lucas, LotR and SW are their babies, their preciousssss ( ;) ). Bay had the TF movie thrust upon him by Spielberg, and he only took on the job out of respect for the man.

To be fair, Bay did what he could for the movie despite his lack of passion for the subject matter, and it turned out unexpectedly well.

Frankly, the first TF movie was a bit of a sleeper hit. Through the years, we've been so jaded by all the B-grade video game adaptations and tie-ins of popular cartoons. I can't speak for other fans or collectors, but I literally scoffed at the news of a live-action TF movie. "Ooh, another live-action bastardization of our favorite childhood franchises," I thought.

Call me faithless, but I never expected it to be nearly as successful as it was. Nor did I expect to fall in love with TF's all over again because of it.

A trilogy is an exceedingly risky and expensive undertaking, and before the first movie had proven itself, Paramount had no reason to even suspect that the franchise might be worth the investment. Sadly, Paramount still doesn't think so. They're willing to let the franchise continue for as long as it can sell tickets, but are ready to pull the plug at any time.

Tronus_Rex wrote:I SOOO MUUCH, want TF4, to be like this as well. I want it to succeed, doing the "Robot's in Disguise" theme right, with more time for robots & more credible 'Cons.

That would not require to much of a change in human to robot screen time. Just a shift in script & direction choice.


In other words, you mean this? :D

Image

Just kidding.

Speaking of The Hobbit, I enjoyed it as well. Which is surprising, because I've always preferred the darker and grittier A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Pretty sure I'll enjoy The Desolation of Smaug, too.



:lol:

Naw' man, I meanz more screen thyme for giant gundams/diaclones;

Image

[You think that's stuff is used like tobacco &...er, "medicinal" purposes, by 'Bots & 'Cons?]
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

cron
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014