Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby datguy86 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Motto: "SHEEAGH!"
Having read a lot of these posts, I would like to chime in with a few things. I do hope to receive some constructive criticism. I would like to point out responses framed along the lines of the resident great bear ninja will be ignored - I'm rather disappointed to see those; truth be told.

Funpub's Shipping Charges: We, as consumers for FunPub; are getting shafted on shipping. I was in the middle of putting together a mailing package for my employer based on FunPub's shipping and found a good mailing company could save FunPub 25% - 30% on shipping costs. Whether this is because FunPub doesn't try to find lower shipping or merely charges the consumer more to bolster profits is irrelevant; all FunPub consumers are getting screwed in shipping costs from FunPub. In terms of BotCon, if shipping into a port in CA and then air dropping it on the East Coast is too expensive, charter a ship that goes through the Panama Canal or around South America. Another couple weeks would be needed in planning. It would certainly cost less than Air, yet not much more than accepting shipment in California.

Seibertron made a good comment about saving money for BotCon by placing it where it is easily accessible by talent. I would like to mention FunPub could offset a great deal of costs by hosting BotCon on the East Shore. California is a miserably expensive state to visit. Hotel rooms, food, travel - many of these things are cheaper (outside of New York City, Orlando, and few more) on the East Coast. Room rates alone can be as low as half of what major cities in CA charge. This is part of the draw of Baltimore and its convention center.

Seibertron.com's traffic from CA is likely due to the number of major metropolitan centers compared to other states. Compare San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco to Chicago. Or even New York. At least Texas has Houston and Austin; Pennsylvania has Philly and Pittsburgh.

The East Coast also has the best snack food; period. Forget Rold Gold; I got Martin's and Utz. Junk food alone is the perfect draw for a fan crowd.

(Edit) Apologies - two more things: The point of all this is any cost associated to FunPub to hold it in another part of the country should be considered minimal. While I personally would have loved BotCon on the East Coast again since I've never gone; I'll wait or scrimp and save the money if I really want it.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.
Image

Actively Searching: Universe 2.0 Ratchet, Universe 2.0 Inferno, Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream
datguy86
Vehicon
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 6

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby KNM2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Burn wrote:Tight rope? Yeah ... if they were on a tight rope that credit card fiasco should have cost them the rights already.


Not true. If you are right, then I can give you a huge list of companies that Hasbro would not do business with. Point being is that Fun Pub's tightrope is based on their performance with both the TFCC and Botcon. The credit card fiasco happens to virtually every business, and they handled it the way they could handle it. But if they were to pull the same kind of stunt that happened with Anime Expo in 2007, then Hasbro would have a legit reason to take control of everything.

In other words... It is about their professional performances, not some issue that happens to virtually every business, that matters.

Burn wrote:He never said you were. Don't try to turn this into a flame war.


Let me point something out here. Atop of being a moderator for six years, before the forum was shut down, as well as a two-time published writer, I have this being said to me: "It's easy to put yourself on a pedestal when the convention is in your backyard."

When you have something like this said to you, it states that you are being called ignorant, not the fact that the person is being anything but logical. He is clearly implying that I am ignorant because I live in California. I called him ignorant because he dismissed every BotCon from 1994-2007, which the majority were held in the eastern region. However, being ignorant is human nature.

So if you want to believe what you claim is right and everything else is wrong... You might as well tell me to quit Seibertron.com and the entire fandom I was a part of since 1984. I celebrated my first year as a serious collector yesterday and had my friends ignore it. I also had members personally dismiss my compassion, and one having a strong habit of doing it.

My point was simple. One member got it, he didn't. He dismissed it because I live in California, and he wants it to be back in the east coast. He dismissed the fact that all he needs to do is ask why they chose the location, as well as offer any help that would have it return to the east coast in 2014 (which would be plausible since TF4 is coming out by then). And if you think what I said was a flaming or a personal attack... Then tell me to quit being a member here. Ask me to quit being a fan.

Repeated because the point is that not everybody has a chance to attend. But for those, like me, cannot because we cannot afford to take the franchise (and everything tied to it) for granted. It is why my collection is so small - I am on SSI for a reason. Something you ignored. And even if I wanted to attend, I will not hold a grudge if I cannot, especially since it is a 186 mile drive.

I hope I do not have to repeat this, and will say that responses like that is why I can only enjoy Henkei!, All Spark, Alternity, and the 1985-1987 Transformers lines without feeling like some member will see me as being below them. >:oP
MY TRANSFORMERS FANDOM: 1984-2013
User avatar
KNM2012
Targetmaster
Posts: 688
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby KNM2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:09 pm

First-Aid wrote:Ryan, that map was very interesting showing the traffic from the website. I do want to bring up an interesting point though.

The traffic numbers are skewed for California because, of the 300,000,000 people in the US, full 1/6th of this population lives in California. By that fact, that California only has 1/8th of the Seibertron traffic indicates a lower level of usage per capita than other states. This means a LOWER INTEREST LEVEL in Califonia. If it was directly indicative of the state's population percentage in the country, then 1/6th of the traffic should come from that state. So any argument using those numbers is technically invalid. ALso, by the same argument, ALL conventions should be in SoCal because that is where the most people are. If you continually host in the same location, you are also not spreading the brand as effectively as you could be by varying the location. If I were them I would be looking more at numbers like your "new web hits"; if you have increasing interest, a convention in that area could conceivably cement the growth of that brand in the area.

ANd it WILL be in Pasadena next year.

As for those talking the lack of star power in Dallas vs SoCal, that basically says that BotCon does not hold much weight from a marketing or sales standpoint, or general appeal. If it were really going to be a profitable trip, they would go no matter where it was.


Well said. From my stand-point, I am also wondering if costs tied to California are exceptionally lower than that in other states. Something they seem to be focused on as we speak. >:oP

And mind if I add... San Diego is a perfect location because Transformers are technically "illegal" aliens, and are there to make money. >:oP
MY TRANSFORMERS FANDOM: 1984-2013
User avatar
KNM2012
Targetmaster
Posts: 688
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby Burn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:19 pm

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:stuff


You have a pm. Please do not send this discussion further off topic.

Thank you.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37703
News Credits: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby Sideswipe jr. » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Motto: "As long as our Autobot brothers die, freedom will never perish."
Weapon: Gattling Gun
:shock: :grin: :grin: :grin: I SO HOPE THIS CAN BE MY 16TH B DAY PRESENT! This would be my first Botcon. Question, Do you have to stay in the Town and Country Hotel to get in, or are passes seperate? :BOT:
Sideswipe jr.
Mini-Con
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 am
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 5
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby Fender Bender » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Motto: "Whatever doesn't kill me will pay for it's failure."
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
It may seem like I was ignoring Botcon Pre-2004, and I suppose that is a valid point. But I also have a valid point in doing so. Prior to the 3H breakup and the changing of the guard to Fun Publications, Botcon WAS different. The show was a lot smaller and there weren't $400 box sets. It also was able to move around quite a bit, as there were only a few repeats in Fort Wayne. Considering that was Botcon's original home, I guess I can forgive that, but that's just me. I should also mention that while the geographic location did benefit me, I thought it was stupid of OTFCC to do back to back shows in Chicago in 2003 and 2004.

So the best way to look at the data is technically 2005 to 2013, but I throw 2004 in there because it was kind of the beginning of the "New" Botcon. So yes, you can point out that the majority of the Botcons prior to 2004 were held in the northeast, but that was also under different management.

The current management, as indicated, has a certain affinity to Southern California. In fact, the conventions that WERE NOT in Southern California are pretty much attributed to somebody pulling rank or out of convenience. Botcon 2006, and 2008 were in Lexington, KY and Cincinnati, OH. Coincidentally, Transformers Club Editor Pete Sinclair lives in Cincinnati, OH. Botcon 2005 and 2011 were in the Dallas, TX area, Fun Publications President Brian Savage lives in that area, in addition to Fun Publications being based there. Botcon 2007 was only in Rhode Island because Hasbro told them to. The only real odd ball that doesn't really fit the bill is Botcon 2009 in Florida. Maybe that was just an experiment to see how the tourism with Disney would boost attendance, I don't know.

Point is, under current management, the trend of Southern California Botcons is quite evident and it's quite likely that under this management, they will continue to be in Southern California with a few exceptions here and there that will probably be between Texas and Florida. If people like that and Fun Pub makes money, hey, good for them. But like I said, as long as the only viable locations are the 3 farthest locations in the country from me, I'm going to continue to pass.

Maybe one day Hasbro or Pete will pull rank again and we'll see a Botcon north of the 37th Parallel, but I'm not too optimistic about it. I'll just have to enjoy the other non-official conventions.

My apologies if this speculation based upon accurate data offends anyone.
Image
We never "Swindle" you, join us at Dairycon 2014 in GLORIOUS Fond du Lac, WI!
Fender Bender
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6443
News Credits: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Spencer, WI
Buy from Fender Bender on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby KNM2012 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Fender Bender wrote:My apologies if this speculation based upon accurate data offends anyone.


Thank you for the clarification. But do not forget that 2006 was Kentucky, 2007 was Rhode Island, 2008 was Ohio, and 2010 was Florida. California was 2004, 2009, and 2011 - All Pasadena. The rest was Texas. ;)

But even then, them trying out a new location in California does not mean they have a permanent place in the west coast. It just means that they got a great deal in a very nice state - Tolerable if you hate beaches, zoos, amusement parks, Disneyland, Hollywood, and/or the chance the fart on Paramount Studios. :lol:

And besides... San Diego is nicer than Pasadena. My only issue is tied to if I am moving, spend way too much at Anime Expo (if I am going)... Or... TOMY puts out a buttload of Headmaster reissues. :lol: So with that said, please relax and remember that Seibertron will submit great photos, with some having him beat me up for calling him Shia LaBeouf. :BLACKEYE:
MY TRANSFORMERS FANDOM: 1984-2013
User avatar
KNM2012
Targetmaster
Posts: 688
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby FracturedKoi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
Ryan, love the map of traffic inflow, very interesting, if not saddening to see how little traffic you're getting from my neck of the woods! Also, I know I've said I don't really care for it being in Cali, but what you said about just holding it in the same place every year sure would make planning easier! Much better than waiting til the end of the year to announce it...it's like musical chairs as it is xD
User avatar
FracturedKoi
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 860
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Anniston, AL
Buy from FracturedKoi on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby Burn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:23 pm

FracturedKoi wrote:what you said about just holding it in the same place every year sure would make planning easier!


More so for international visitors/members. If I were to go to BotCon then i'd want to do more than just go to BotCon. Knowing well in advance would make it easier to plan things.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37703
News Credits: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby FracturedKoi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:14 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
Burn wrote:
FracturedKoi wrote:what you said about just holding it in the same place every year sure would make planning easier!


More so for international visitors/members. If I were to go to BotCon then i'd want to do more than just go to BotCon. Knowing well in advance would make it easier to plan things.


I think having it in the same place from year to year might actually be something we could all agree on. I wouldn't mind it one bit if the con was a few blocks away from Disneyland xD.

Can you imagine if SDCC was in a different location every year, what a headache that would be? We should give BotCon a home, and we can just plan to attend every year because we already know well in advance when and where it'll be! Now that's something I could schedule to be off work for!
User avatar
FracturedKoi
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 860
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Anniston, AL
Buy from FracturedKoi on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby NTESHFT » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:10 am

Motto: "60% of the time, it works every time!"
Weapon: Black Magic
Burn wrote:
FracturedKoi wrote:What's the closets thing y'all have to a Botcon anyhow?


Ron and I running into each other at a garage sale.

Calling Jason from up from downstairs at work when I get a new TF in the mail.

Image




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even my wife thought this was hilarious!!

Like many others, if I am gonna fly out to San Diego, it will be for Comic Con........in which if I get this new awesome, great paying job I'm trying to land, the wife and i will be going.

If the box set looks good, i will most likely get the Iacon package, though.
Image
User avatar
NTESHFT
Brainmaster
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Dirty South
Buy from NTESHFT on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby First-Aid » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 am

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
FracturedKoi wrote:Ryan, love the map of traffic inflow, very interesting, if not saddening to see how little traffic you're getting from my neck of the woods! Also, I know I've said I don't really care for it being in Cali, but what you said about just holding it in the same place every year sure would make planning easier! Much better than waiting til the end of the year to announce it...it's like musical chairs as it is xD


Remember though Fractured, what I said earlier applies to your area as well. How much of a percentage of the population of the US lives in your state vs. the percentage of site visits? That's why the states with the highest populations have the highest site visit count, though by capita I believe Illinois is the highest (we can blame Ryan for that... :DANCE: ).

ALso someone mentioned the possibility of voting on locations, I think, I few pages back. That too would be pointless as it would still end up in the highest population centers. My point is this: if you have it in San Diego or Pasadena, or Orlando, or Fort Worth every year, you will essentially end up with the same people coming every year. Once you get the initial level of "walk-ins", you will not see much more of an increase than that. Only certain people will experience BotCon every time it's held. By moving it around, there is the potential for significant exposure to other people and areas. With this exposure, it means that if they have a good time, they may come to the next one or the one after that, even if it isn't in the same place. The possibility may not be high, but the fact that there is potential there now whereas there wouldn't be otherwise is a major plus. It's the same concept as having a store in multiple locations. Multiple stores means that you can expand your brand within locations in differing population areas and demographics. While I do understand the positives of having it in the same place so people can plan around it, I think the financial positives of moving it around can outweigh that as, in the end, that's really what it's about for FunPub.

Along those lines however, I think the best thing for FunPub to do is to plan 1-2 BotCons ahead of time and have the next location- if it indeed moves- selected BEFORE BotCon for that year. That way we will literally have an entire year to plan ahead. THe more time people have to plan ahead, the higher the likelihood of them making the journey.

As for me personally, I don't understand why the Midwest isn't selected more. The central location means lower cost for flights for most people, and lower drive times for those on the road. Indianapolis is a fantastic location for a conventions (ask the folks at GenCon about THEIR attendance, or maybe ask the folks who run the NCAA Final Four about their experiences), is very affordable, has fantastic restaurants (at least two dozen within a block of the con center), and a huge convention center literally in the heart of the city with 9 or 10 large hotels attached to or within 1 block of the center. The tax rate and cost to visit is listed as significantly lower than SoCal. That means a lower overall trip cost which translates to more money for the participants to spend on vendors and figures. Having been to GenCon previously, it is a great place to have a convention; my wife went as well and she found tons to do while I was away rolling dice and getting killed by GMs and PCs- shopping, historic buildings, there was a walking ghost tour, food, more food, pointing and laughing at participants... :HEADHURTS:

These points all make sense in a business standpoint. What it boils down to is this: if you make it worth while for vendors to come and that they will make a profit on the trip, they will come. If you can build the brand while you do that, it's a brilliant business decision.
Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!

Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?

Yes I am a Cubs fan. You may pity me now.
First-Aid
City Commander
Posts: 3776
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:54 am
Location: A lone Bears household in CHeeseheadland...
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby joevill » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Motto: "For Seibertron!"
Weapon: Sword
The convention center isn't too far from the beach. Perhaps having a Seibertron beach party Friday night maybe a possibility?
Image
When eating planets alone isn't enough to satisfy the Chaos Bringer's hunger, Unicron comes to Earth to fill up on McDonald's. McDonald's golden arches will light our darkest hour (when the Chaos Bringer would not share) by clogging his arteries, raising his blood pressure, and giving him diabetes.
User avatar
joevill
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 560
News Credits: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:09 am
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Watch joevill on YouTube
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: 5
Skill: 5

Re: BotCon 2013 in San Diego, California - June 27th to 30th!

Postby ScottyP » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
I'll be there! Looking forward to it, and glad there's time to plan/save up this year.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast.
Every once in a blue moon I write stuff about things on my blog.
I have a lot of Transformers, check them out on my shmax.com page.
Looking for Grandus Radar Dishes, Micromaster Spinner, and Star Saber's Rifle. PM me if you have these for sale!
User avatar
ScottyP
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 924
News Credits: 21
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Previous

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014