Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Brainstorming for future tournaments

A place for Heavy Metal War tournament related discussions.

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Burn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 am

It will, provided people read it. Of course we could just hope for common courtesy to prevail.

Once the Bulletins get back online it'll be good to "advertise" in advance as well.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38730
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Tammuz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 am

on a similiar (and very off topic note) can we get a locked "known bugs thread so that any undealt with bugs are not hidden in the bug reporting thread?
Image
User avatar
Tammuz
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18153
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:49 pm

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Psychout » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:46 am

Motto: "The Blackest Night Falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your Demise
by my Black Hand-- --The Dead shall rise!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Burn wrote:It will, provided people read it. Of course we could just hope for common courtesy to prevail.

Once the Bulletins get back online it'll be good to "advertise" in advance as well.
Im reluctant to arbitrarily state that 'non-listed tournaments' will be superceeded by 'official' ones, but once the list is up, id assume that anything booked in would take priority over ones created on the fly.

We'd could also be sure there was enough time between tourneys for xp recovery and for people to take a short break from the the game if they have lives etc. to pursue.

But as long as we can channel all tourney discussion into here, then a calendar thread should do the job. pRed's original calendar thread was a very good idea and only fell off in the reset chaos.


Tammuz: if you're willing to make up a list, ill do the sticky/locking part for you in GD, no worries.
ImageDISCLAIMER: The above post clearly was meant to offend, and if you feel insulted by it, please use the 'close browser' button and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously.
User avatar
Psychout
HMW Moderator
Posts: 11553
News Credits: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 am
Location: Vatican City
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Jeep? » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:05 am

Merc With A Mouth wrote:For added cool you could temporarily give the participates custom bios from someone who was skilled enough at writing to make a Shattered Glass version of the normal character.


...I'll put the coffee on, I'm not getting to bed on this one. Why'd you go put this idea in my head?
Founding member of the RDD
Member of the 100% Strafe Club (Pre-Reset)
Interviewed by Kamijin
Toy reviews: Snapdragon|Octopunch


Image

Omega Sentinel wrote:Man that's the truth. I hate that OS guy.
Jeep?
HMW Moderator
Posts: 7663
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:12 pm
Location: Cursing at ignorant strangers with terrible pronunciation, Sawyers Deli, Fountain Street, Belfast

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Grimpoo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Jeep! wrote:
Merc With A Mouth wrote:For added cool you could temporarily give the participates custom bios from someone who was skilled enough at writing to make a Shattered Glass version of the normal character.


...I'll put the coffee on, I'm not getting to bed on this one. Why'd you go put this idea in my head?


Crap that means i would have to write a story about Good POO and not Evil POO...life isn't fair!
Grimpoo

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Wingspan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Motto: "Death is not the end."
Grimpoo wrote:
Jeep! wrote:
Merc With A Mouth wrote:For added cool you could temporarily give the participates custom bios from someone who was skilled enough at writing to make a Shattered Glass version of the normal character.


...I'll put the coffee on, I'm not getting to bed on this one. Why'd you go put this idea in my head?


Crap that means i would have to write a story about Good POO and not Evil POO...life isn't fair!

Good POO, Image, Evil POO Image?
Omnis enim, qui mala agit, odit lucem et non venit ad lucem, ut non arguantur opera eius; qui autem facit veritatem, venit ad lucem, ut manifestentur eius opera, quia in Deo sunt facta. Translation

XBox 360: BrandedByFlame
User avatar
Wingspan
Headmaster
Posts: 1232
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 am
Location: Empyrean

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Grimpoo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 pm

You make me wanna change my name to PUU 8)
Grimpoo

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Burn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 am

I just noticed Mogwai Prime's name as a Mod on this forum.

Where is the damn furball anyway? :P
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38730
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Redimus GTS » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Motto: "Better than Michael Bay..."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Psychout wrote:Thats a very good point.

If I put a sticky up that's locked so only the staff can update it and we try and use it for all tournaments once they are 'booked-in', will that help?


As long as it's in the HMW GD (and maybe cloned in the faction forums). It'd be less than usless in here, as most people will already know about em long before thye become offcial.
Image

Better RED than DEAD!
Better still
RDD!
User avatar
Redimus GTS
God Of Transformers
Posts: 10971
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:44 am
Location: Neo Kaon, planing the domination of HMW:GD.
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Loki God Of Mischief » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:52 pm

Burn wrote:I just noticed Mogwai Prime's name as a Mod on this forum.

Where is the damn furball anyway? :P


Hopefully nowhere near water.
Image

It's best to assume every link I post is NSFW, and every post I make is just me taking the piss.
User avatar
Loki God Of Mischief
Brainmaster
Posts: 1334
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Psychout » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:53 am

Motto: "The Blackest Night Falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your Demise
by my Black Hand-- --The Dead shall rise!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I've split AZ's ideas off, but I've added them to here.
ImageDISCLAIMER: The above post clearly was meant to offend, and if you feel insulted by it, please use the 'close browser' button and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously.
User avatar
Psychout
HMW Moderator
Posts: 11553
News Credits: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 am
Location: Vatican City
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Absolute Zero » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Weapon: Viper Pistol
Someone had previously asked about schedualling...

My thought on this is we should have a event once a month. But never the samething on consecutive months. There are currently three major ones that I'm aware of. Scalp Hunt, Scavenger Hunt, and Tournies.

If we spread them out, then people wont get tired of them, but if we run something once a month, there's always a event coming to get built up for.
Image
Sig by Dragonslayer

Warrior's Code wrote:You're the fighter you've got the fire
The spirit of a warrior, the champion's heart
You fight for your life because the fighter never quits
You make the most of the hand you're dealt
Because the quitter never wins

SPL Round 1: Second Place
Autbot Treasure Hunt: Winner
Hunt the Renegades: Winner

Dead in One-XBLive
Shinobiusagi-PSN
Absolute Zero
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5109
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:47 pm
Location: Burn's lawn
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: 1
Courage: 10
Firepower: 1
Skill: 3

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Tammuz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

i think once a month might be too often especially as some tournies have run multiple weeks.
Image
User avatar
Tammuz
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18153
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:49 pm

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Absolute Zero » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Weapon: Viper Pistol
Tammuz wrote:i think once a month might be too often especially as some tournies have run multiple weeks.


True... Didn't think of that... 4ish weeks between them minumum then? Maybe try to keep it a little random with a roughly a month in between, rather then starting at a predictible exact space between the two.
Image
Sig by Dragonslayer

Warrior's Code wrote:You're the fighter you've got the fire
The spirit of a warrior, the champion's heart
You fight for your life because the fighter never quits
You make the most of the hand you're dealt
Because the quitter never wins

SPL Round 1: Second Place
Autbot Treasure Hunt: Winner
Hunt the Renegades: Winner

Dead in One-XBLive
Shinobiusagi-PSN
Absolute Zero
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5109
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:47 pm
Location: Burn's lawn
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: 1
Courage: 10
Firepower: 1
Skill: 3

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Redimus GTS » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 am

Motto: "Better than Michael Bay..."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Absolute Zero wrote:
Tammuz wrote:i think once a month might be too often especially as some tournies have run multiple weeks.


True... Didn't think of that... 4ish weeks between them minumum then? Maybe try to keep it a little random with a roughly a month in between, rather then starting at a predictible exact space between the two.


[color=red]There is no point settign any form of schedualed calender for gaes and tournies. Nor is there anypoint settign rules for times between them.

the reasons:

1: 99% of the people who run these are not only volenteers, but arnt even staff on these forums. It is not fair to impose on them to run things.

2: The timings of games/tournies is often reliant on when the runner happens ot have the idea, or happens to have tiem to run it (I for one run most of my things when Im on holiday). It is unfair for them to have to wait an amount of time just cuase someone else ran one recently when they can only really run it when they can run it.

All we need is the return of the tournie/game calender thread, so people can make sure they dont overlap eachother, and we'll be fine.
Image

Better RED than DEAD!
Better still
RDD!
User avatar
Redimus GTS
God Of Transformers
Posts: 10971
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:44 am
Location: Neo Kaon, planing the domination of HMW:GD.
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Raphael Prime » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Weapon: Energy Shurikens
I have an idea for a tourney i'd like to run, so as to sort of get my feet wet i guess. But i didn't know if i should post it in this thread or it's own thread. But i'm wanting to get it done (if folks like the sound of it and would be interested in joining in) before the whole 'End-of-HMW1' comes about. I'm thinking it should only take maybe a week and half to complete or so. There's no real storyline or anything for it, its just a bracket/playoff style tourney.
"And i can't be happier having a seasoned law enforcement official working the case for me. Just attack it. Like you're hungry. Like the wolf"
Image
User avatar
Raphael Prime
Pretender
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Coming down the wing, blowing by your defense and stuffing it 5-hole on your goalie
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Psychout » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Motto: "The Blackest Night Falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your Demise
by my Black Hand-- --The Dead shall rise!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
The more the merrier.

What you got in mind?
ImageDISCLAIMER: The above post clearly was meant to offend, and if you feel insulted by it, please use the 'close browser' button and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously.
User avatar
Psychout
HMW Moderator
Posts: 11553
News Credits: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 am
Location: Vatican City
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Raphael Prime » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:47 pm

Weapon: Energy Shurikens
The idea is as follows. (Note: this is pretty much a rough draft, and all input and advice from vets are welcome and appreciated)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Survival Of The Sickest

--Playoff styled brackets. Sign up is voluntary and for anyone who wants to join in, no minimum requirements. Matchups for first round to be determined by lottery like drawing, and teams will be given seeds. 'Playoffs' will play out in the style of NHL Playoffs, where in the next round the higher seed plays the lower seed( example::

round 1
team 1 vs team 8
team 2 vs team 7
team 3 vs team 6
team 4 vs team 5

round 2
team 1 vs team 6
team 2 vs team 4


--"Best-of-7" Participants will select and post 4 qualifying missions(listed below). With the team first to 4 "wins" moves on into the playoffs.

Missions must:
-Must be against playoff opponent's faction
-Must have atleast 2 people per faction
-Must survive the mission


Qualifying missions that equal/determine a "winning game" in the series:

Each "win" may only be claimed once, and can be claimed by both teams. Mission's claiming a "win" may only claim one "win"

-Stasis lock two enemies.
-Perform 5 avoids.
-Stasis lock an opponent a level higher than yourself.
-Stasis lock a namesake.
-Stasis lock a canon name.
-Outnumbered by atleast 2.
-Outleveled (opposing faction must have a bot a level higher than your faction's highest level bot, example: your faction's highest is 1, opposing faction's highest is 2).
-Accumulate 900+ Xp in one mission.
-Be the last bot standing.
-Ram 3 enemies into stasis lock.
-Strafe 3 enemies into stasis lock.
"And i can't be happier having a seasoned law enforcement official working the case for me. Just attack it. Like you're hungry. Like the wolf"
Image
User avatar
Raphael Prime
Pretender
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Coming down the wing, blowing by your defense and stuffing it 5-hole on your goalie
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Sustain » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Motto: ""It is not enough to win, you must maintain control.""
Weapon: High-Amplification Directional Radiowave Sensor
Wow I really did miss a lot,

Right then if anyone wants to see what the old scavenger hunt used to look like let me know. I've updated a new one, of sorts due to some things being attainable lack of levels or alts and what not.
User avatar
Sustain
HMW Moderator
Posts: 4905
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Daraknus Decepticon Outpost.
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 2
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby SoundMaster1 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Motto: "If you got it, you show. If you don't, you don't know it."
Weapon: Sonic Rifle
Why not make a n00b tournament? Only level 0 characters could attend.
Image
Formerly nemesis zenith
My Playlist
SoundPictures Studios is currently closed due to Squeaker.


99% of people breathe air. If you're part of the 1% that doesn't, copy and paste this to your sig.
User avatar
SoundMaster1
Vehicon
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: Behind you this very moment...
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: N/A
Courage: 2
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby New Omen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Motto: "Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest motto."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
SoundMaster1 wrote:Why not make a n00b tournament? Only level 0 characters could attend.


I like that idea and not just because i have 10 lvl 0's. Imagine being King of Noobs and how good that would look under my sig :SMUG:


Anyhoo what about a themed character tourney were you pick one bot and rename it to suit the theme. For example "Invasion of the Evil Rubber Duckies!"

Any bot with evil rubber duck in its name counts as a contender. The duck with the most kills wins. names can include anything such as;

Evil red Rubber Duck

Evil Rubber Duck 667

Giant Evil Rubber Duck

Not so Evil Rubber Ducky and so on :lol:

Some people won't like the idea of swapping names so players will have to post the characters original name in the games thread. This can be used to prove the name belongs to you and prevent name theft. Names will be up for grabs when V2 comes out anyway so it shouldn't be that much trouble.

It doesn't have to be ducks. The theme can be anything, I just have a thing for evil rubber duckies. We could have the invasion of the Gobots God forbid, underpants or any other random thing for that matter.
User avatar
New Omen
Godmaster
Posts: 1542
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:30 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Psychout » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Motto: "The Blackest Night Falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your Demise
by my Black Hand-- --The Dead shall rise!"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
SoundMaster1 wrote:Why not make a n00b tournament? Only level 0 characters could attend.

What an excellent idea. Ill have a think and see what we can do.


New Omen wrote:Anyhoo what about a themed character tourney were you pick one bot and rename it to suit the theme. For example "Invasion of the Evil Rubber Duckies!"

Any bot with evil rubber duck in its name counts as a contender. The duck with the most kills wins. names can include anything such as;

Evil red Rubber Duck

Evil Rubber Duck 667

Giant Evil Rubber Duck

Not so Evil Rubber Ducky and so on :lol:

Some people won't like the idea of swapping names so players will have to post the characters original name in the games thread. This can be used to prove the name belongs to you and prevent name theft. Names will be up for grabs when V2 comes out anyway so it shouldn't be that much trouble.

It doesn't have to be ducks. The theme can be anything, I just have a thing for evil rubber duckies. We could have the invasion of the Gobots God forbid, underpants or any other random thing for that matter.



That idea I also like. Anyone got any suggestions? zombies
ImageDISCLAIMER: The above post clearly was meant to offend, and if you feel insulted by it, please use the 'close browser' button and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously.
User avatar
Psychout
HMW Moderator
Posts: 11553
News Credits: 22
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:04 am
Location: Vatican City
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Burn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:28 pm

If we were to go with a theme thing like that, i'd also love to see a side contest/poll where people can vote for the Duck with the best bio.

Not only would people be fighting to prove they are Top Duck, but it would also be a way for people to have a little fun with their bios.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38730
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby New Omen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:04 am

Motto: "Beyond good. Beyond evil. Beyond your wildest motto."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Burn wrote:If we were to go with a theme thing like that, i'd also love to see a side contest/poll where people can vote for the Duck with the best bio.

Not only would people be fighting to prove they are Top Duck, but it would also be a way for people to have a little fun with their bios.


Thats a great idea. We could have an art contest aswell. A themed character tourney could generate some much needed forum traffic.

Psychout wrote:That idea I also like. Anyone got any suggestions? zombies


ZOMBIES! thats a good idea too, its so obvious. #-o
How much did Zombi Cheerleader have to do with that idea i wonder... :P
User avatar
New Omen
Godmaster
Posts: 1542
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:30 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Re: Brainstorming for future tournaments

Postby Burn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 am

New Omen wrote:
Burn wrote:If we were to go with a theme thing like that, i'd also love to see a side contest/poll where people can vote for the Duck with the best bio.

Not only would people be fighting to prove they are Top Duck, but it would also be a way for people to have a little fun with their bios.


Thats a great idea. We could have an art contest aswell. A themed character tourney could generate some much needed forum traffic.


I like!

Once it's over i'll push to have a whole section of it included in the Transtopia Newsletter.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38730
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Next

Return to HMW Tournaments

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014