Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

could this be what movie bumblebee was modeled after?

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak, Seibertron, Counterpunch

Postby omega wing » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:55 pm

There is only one downside i can see with that is bumblebees personality gonna be like any of the eva piolts if so please let it be auska rei annoys me and shinji is just a pain
omega wing
Pretender
Posts: 771
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:32 am

Postby Spoon » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Glyph wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.

Huh? What are you talking about? A superficial resemblance between movie BB and a particular figure of Eva-00 doesn't 'prove' anything at all, least of all that the movie TFs were stolen from somewhere else or that they were never meant to transform.

And the resemblance is superficial. While I'm at it, Eva-00 was orange at the beginning of NGE and blue after the battle with Remiel - never yellow.
Sums it up.
Spoon

Postby AbsumZer0 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Glyph wrote:And the resemblance is superficial. While I'm at it, Eva-00 was orange at the beginning of NGE and blue after the battle with Remiel - never yellow.


Nowadays I'd have been surprised if there wasn't at least some superficial resemblance to the Eva. Apart from intentional throwbacks like The Big O practically every mecha series bears some influence. Mechagodzilla 200x/Kiryu, Gundam Seed, the Gundam Evolve kit series, even the new Aura Battlers in Wings of Rean. Prior to Evangelion most mecha were designed to be more tank-like whereas the Evas were meant to be rigid external armor that didn't restrict fluid movement. With the production teams insistance on staying away from boxy because it would restrict movement it just seems obvious that they would bear some resemblance. Hence, the rotors and piston robot with angular car parts for armor appearance.

http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/139/Robofie/
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Saber Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:03 am

Glyph wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.

Huh? What are you talking about? A superficial resemblance between movie BB and a particular figure of Eva-00 doesn't 'prove' anything at all, least of all that the movie TFs were stolen from somewhere else or that they were never meant to transform.

And the resemblance is superficial. While I'm at it, Eva-00 was orange at the beginning of NGE and blue after the battle with Remiel - never yellow.
Oh I wouldn't think anything if it were just that one character but ALL of the movie transformers seem to resemble robots from other movies, cartoons, and toy lines no of which can actully transform.

Bumblebee is a cross between that Eva guy or whatever it is and Robosapion.

Frenzy looks like something from Star Wars.

Megatron looks like a suped up Preditor.

They all seem to have some resembalance to Bionicles.

What more proof do you need that they're nothing but a bunch of rip offs from things that have nothing at all to do with Transformers?

Lets put it this way, if I took Ironman, made him look fat, painted him yellow, and attached doors to his back and called him Bumblebee would you still say it was a superficial resembalance?

There's allso the other little matter of "This is a Transformers movie!" And the resembalance to anything other than Transformers says it's not. So there you have it, we're not getting a Transformers movie, we're getting a "stick as many robot rip offs into one movie as you can and slap a familiar lable on it" movie

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love these designs just not as Transformers. I wouldn't hate this movie so much if it either actully looked like Transformers or used a different title. :P
Image
Saber Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3239
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Postby kjeevah » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:33 pm

Saber Prime wrote:
Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.


wow such lunacy. actually no, you are right, this is a giant yellow robot and bumblebee is a giant yellow robot SO OBVIOUSLY ITS TRUE BUMBLEBEE WAS COPIED FROM IT

also bumblbee has 4 wheels and the a-team van has 4 wheels SO OBIOUSLY THE DEISGN FOR BUMBLBEE WAS STOLEN FROM THE ATEAM VAN

tragic..
kjeevah
Minibot
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Postby AbsumZer0 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:48 pm

If Bumblebee goes berserk and tries to kill himself by beating his head against a wall or Optimus rips apart and eats a Decepticon I'll totally reverse my opinion about this movie.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Saber Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:07 pm

kjeevah wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:
Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.


wow such lunacy. actually no, you are right, this is a giant yellow robot and bumblebee is a giant yellow robot SO OBVIOUSLY ITS TRUE BUMBLEBEE WAS COPIED FROM IT

also bumblbee has 4 wheels and the a-team van has 4 wheels SO OBIOUSLY THE DEISGN FOR BUMBLBEE WAS STOLEN FROM THE ATEAM VAN

tragic..
Are you blind? Look at the pictures of Bumblebee and that guy. Their "plates" (the little yellow bits covering the under bits) all look the same. They look more alike than Statesman and Captain America.
Image
Saber Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3239
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Postby AbsumZer0 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm

Saber Prime wrote:
kjeevah wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:
Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.


wow such lunacy. actually no, you are right, this is a giant yellow robot and bumblebee is a giant yellow robot SO OBVIOUSLY ITS TRUE BUMBLEBEE WAS COPIED FROM IT

also bumblbee has 4 wheels and the a-team van has 4 wheels SO OBIOUSLY THE DEISGN FOR BUMBLBEE WAS STOLEN FROM THE ATEAM VAN

tragic..
Are you blind? Look at the pictures of Bumblebee and that guy. Their "plates" (the little yellow bits covering the under bits) all look the same. They look more alike than Statesman and Captain America.


Image
Image

...I don't see it either.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Saber Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:25 pm

AbsumZer0 wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:
kjeevah wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:
Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.


wow such lunacy. actually no, you are right, this is a giant yellow robot and bumblebee is a giant yellow robot SO OBVIOUSLY ITS TRUE BUMBLEBEE WAS COPIED FROM IT

also bumblbee has 4 wheels and the a-team van has 4 wheels SO OBIOUSLY THE DEISGN FOR BUMBLBEE WAS STOLEN FROM THE ATEAM VAN

tragic..
Are you blind? Look at the pictures of Bumblebee and that guy. Their "plates" (the little yellow bits covering the under bits) all look the same. They look more alike than Statesman and Captain America.


Image
Image

...I don't see it either.
The eva guy is more sleeker in the legs but looks the same to me. Even has white dots on his chest that could be headlights. (that sounded so wrong) Arms are the same, chest is the same, legs are the same.

Come on if I didn't allready know that one of those images was movie Bumblebee and I knew of Eva before seeing the image of Movie Bumblebee I would think it was an image from an Eva movie.

I even thought Statesman was Captain America wearing Magneto's helmet when I first saw him. Apperiently so did alot of other people and Marvel sued. They lost but that law suit was going on for a long time. Movie Bumblebee and the ev dude look more Alike than Statesman and Captain America so I'm sure there's a law suit waiting to happen.

You gotta addmit though, being a Transformers movie Bumblebee really shouldn't look like anything other than Bumblebee and he otterly fails at that except for the color and a few details on his helmet.
Image
Saber Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3239
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Postby skywarp-2 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Glyph wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:Anyway, all of the Bayformers rather than being new designs for the Transformers appear to just be rip offs of other merchendise. This dude who looks remarkably like Bumblebee just proves they didn't even design the Movie transformers and the designs were never ment to transform.

Huh? What are you talking about? A superficial resemblance between movie BB and a particular figure of Eva-00 doesn't 'prove' anything at all, least of all that the movie TFs were stolen from somewhere else or that they were never meant to transform.

And the resemblance is superficial. While I'm at it, Eva-00 was orange at the beginning of NGE and blue after the battle with Remiel - never yellow.




I agree, but I do remember an article that was describing Don Murphy's assertion that the designers looked twardes the japanese in some of their style because of r{"realism" so it could be likely that some aspects came from Evangelion.. most of those cpu CGI guys are 29 to 35 year olds who love DBZ, Star Wars, and various animes...
Image
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56030
In the interests of keeping it clean, I will now only curse at you in Morse code: ..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- --- ..- that means "F-you!"
User avatar
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
Posts: 4177
News Credits: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 am

Postby kjeevah » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 am

your mom looks mre like bumblbee than that eva does:

Image
kjeevah
Minibot
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Postby Saber Prime » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:47 am

kjeevah wrote:your mom looks mre like bumblbee than that eva does:

Image


Chest: Same V pannel shape.

Arm: Same hands/lower arm.

Leg: Smae pointed knee and raised foot thingy. (that part that sticks up right between the foot and the ankle on top) He could easily be a movie Eva character.

Now point out where Movie Bumblebee actully looks like Bumblebee?

Image
Image
Saber Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3239
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Postby AbsumZer0 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Saber Prime wrote:Chest: Same V pannel shape.

Arm: Same hands/lower arm.

Leg: Smae pointed knee and raised foot thingy. (that part that sticks up right between the foot and the ankle on top) He could easily be a movie Eva character.

Now point out where Movie Bumblebee actully looks like Bumblebee?

Image


Your argument wasn't that the movie Bumblebee doesn't look like his cartoon/comic/toyline G1 appearance. It was that movie Bumblebee was a direct ripoff of EVA-00, which, apart from the similarity of the knee/boot and the angular chest plates, is completely baseless. Even if they did draw some inspiration from the EVA the similarities are nowhere near close enough to make it a direct rip-off or even an obvious homage. People going about making statements that this and that is a ripoff of the mecha from Gundam/Evangelion/Dunbine/Escaflowne/whatever other anime they've never actually watched has gotten old fast.

No, no, no, Bumblebee couldn't pass for EVA-00 in a live-action movie. Evangelion fans have enough to slap their foreheads over about the upcoming movie without having to worry about the 'general public' being willing to accept Hollywood doing to the EVAs what they've done to Megatron and Starscream.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Saber Prime » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 am

AbsumZer0 wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:Chest: Same V pannel shape.

Arm: Same hands/lower arm.

Leg: Smae pointed knee and raised foot thingy. (that part that sticks up right between the foot and the ankle on top) He could easily be a movie Eva character.

Now point out where Movie Bumblebee actully looks like Bumblebee?

Image


Your argument wasn't that the movie Bumblebee doesn't look like his cartoon/comic/toyline G1 appearance. It was that movie Bumblebee was a direct ripoff of EVA-00, which, apart from the similarity of the knee/boot and the angular chest plates, is completely baseless. Even if they did draw some inspiration from the EVA the similarities are nowhere near close enough to make it a direct rip-off or even an obvious homage. People going about making statements that this and that is a ripoff of the mecha from Gundam/Evangelion/Dunbine/Escaflowne/whatever other anime they've never actually watched has gotten old fast.

No, no, no, Bumblebee couldn't pass for EVA-00 in a live-action movie. Evangelion fans have enough to slap their foreheads over about the upcoming movie without having to worry about the 'general public' being willing to accept Hollywood doing to the EVAs what they've done to Megatron and Starscream.


The argument works both ways. He does look like eva, he doesn't look like Bumblebee. I haven't changed the argument it's all the same thing. The point being that movie Bumblebee should have any resembalnce to anything other that G1 Bumblebee.

Of course when any movie gets made designs get changed around but there are still some simularities between the original. There are no simularities with Transformers but there are with eva, Gundum, and whatever other animes you can think of with gient robots.

How is it that the Transformers movie designs resemble every kind of robot out there EXCEPT for Transformers?

This isn't a new agument either, the fans have been asking this question ever sene the first leaked image, this eva guy just makes things worse.
Image
Saber Prime
City Commander
Posts: 3239
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:32 am

Saber Prime wrote:
AbsumZer0 wrote:
Saber Prime wrote:Chest: Same V pannel shape.

Arm: Same hands/lower arm.

Leg: Smae pointed knee and raised foot thingy. (that part that sticks up right between the foot and the ankle on top) He could easily be a movie Eva character.

Now point out where Movie Bumblebee actully looks like Bumblebee?

Image


Your argument wasn't that the movie Bumblebee doesn't look like his cartoon/comic/toyline G1 appearance. It was that movie Bumblebee was a direct ripoff of EVA-00, which, apart from the similarity of the knee/boot and the angular chest plates, is completely baseless. Even if they did draw some inspiration from the EVA the similarities are nowhere near close enough to make it a direct rip-off or even an obvious homage. People going about making statements that this and that is a ripoff of the mecha from Gundam/Evangelion/Dunbine/Escaflowne/whatever other anime they've never actually watched has gotten old fast.

No, no, no, Bumblebee couldn't pass for EVA-00 in a live-action movie. Evangelion fans have enough to slap their foreheads over about the upcoming movie without having to worry about the 'general public' being willing to accept Hollywood doing to the EVAs what they've done to Megatron and Starscream.


The argument works both ways. He does look like eva, he doesn't look like Bumblebee. I haven't changed the argument it's all the same thing. The point being that movie Bumblebee should have any resembalnce to anything other that G1 Bumblebee.

Of course when any movie gets made designs get changed around but there are still some simularities between the original. There are no simularities with Transformers but there are with eva, Gundum, and whatever other animes you can think of with gient robots.

How is it that the Transformers movie designs resemble every kind of robot out there EXCEPT for Transformers?

This isn't a new agument either, the fans have been asking this question ever sene the first leaked image, this eva guy just makes things worse.


The movie Transformers resemble contemporary mecha more than they do the original G1 designs because the original designs were boxy, Super-Robo type robots. Mecha in general have had to evolve beyond that because the boxy Super-Robo designs have become increasingly less popular, whereas Transformers has largely been able to avoid that due to their Transformation gimmick. Unfortunately for those who prefer the super-robot look, it wouldn't work in film because it restricts fluid movement. You can get away with it in comics but in film you'd wind-up with something akin to the Zords of Super Sentai. Could they/should they have done more to make it resemble G1 Bumblebee? I definitely think so. But, saying they 'copied' other mecha is an absolutely rubbish argument.

And no, he doesn't 'look like Eva'. He looks like a Terminator robot with car parts stuck to him.

---SPOILERS---

The Eva aren't even robots. Movie Bumblebee is clearly a robot. Apart from the shape of the leg and the color he does not look like Eva-00.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Senor Hugo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:43 am

So obviously, since it they both share yellow plating, and black joints, Bumblebee was based on the Eva. Although looking to Japanese mechs for influence when designing something is common, especially if you're working on Transformers, don't just assume they saw one thing and went with it, more of a agalmation of ideas ranging from the original Bumblebee to Japanese mechs.

Also, for the record. I've never seen Evangelion all the way through, because the whole "lets make angels into robots to fight angels" premise, is well, stupid. That and the series bored me to tears.
Image
Senor Hugo
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6350
News Credits: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:20 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014