Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Transformers customization. Post tips, ideas and sources here.

Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby gambit020480 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Weapon: X-Ray Laser Cannon
I am working on my first custom in over 8 years.....a Universe style Cliffjumper. I am done painting him and I want to give him a clearcoat to make it look like another members shine on his custom Cliffjumper. His is a movie version and I wish I could find the link to the thread so I could show you. Any tips on making a clearcoat job look tops???
User avatar
gambit020480
Fuzor
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby robofreak » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Depends. Do you want gloss, semi gloss, satin, or flat?

Also when you see this post, I'll be moving this thread to Transtopia.
Burn wrote:robofreak doesn't joke. He's all about the serious business of the internet.


ItIsHim wrote:My closet is filled to the brim with plastic children's toys. For myself
robofreak
City Commander
Posts: 3147
News Credits: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby gambit020480 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Weapon: X-Ray Laser Cannon
robofreak wrote:Depends. Do you want gloss, semi gloss, satin, or flat?

Also when you see this post, I'll be moving this thread to Transtopia.




I bought a semi gloss clearcoat. I still wanted to retain some of the flat look as i think full gloss looks wet and I don't like that. I have tested it on the waverunner he has as an accessory and it looks ok, but there are some streak lines. How can I resolve that? Thanks!
User avatar
gambit020480
Fuzor
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby robofreak » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 pm

What brand of clearcoat?

This is such an involved thing that it's hard to really pinpoint what will fir your needs.

I personally would recommend a flat coat. I myself am a big fan of Testor's Dull Cote as it gives you a really nice durable flat coat that blends everything in together real well.

If you want to get more advance, then you can go to the cleaning aisle and grab a bottle of Pledge with Future shine. (It's a gloss coat for florrs you can use on models as well) This stuff will dry gloss, but varying amounts of Tamoya flat base will give you different sheens.

With all projects though, I would heavily recommend a high gloss coating first as it will add extra strength to the paint.
Burn wrote:robofreak doesn't joke. He's all about the serious business of the internet.


ItIsHim wrote:My closet is filled to the brim with plastic children's toys. For myself
robofreak
City Commander
Posts: 3147
News Credits: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby gambit020480 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Weapon: X-Ray Laser Cannon
robofreak wrote:What brand of clearcoat?

This is such an involved thing that it's hard to really pinpoint what will fir your needs.

I personally would recommend a flat coat. I myself am a big fan of Testor's Dull Cote as it gives you a really nice durable flat coat that blends everything in together real well.

If you want to get more advance, then you can go to the cleaning aisle and grab a bottle of Pledge with Future shine. (It's a gloss coat for florrs you can use on models as well) This stuff will dry gloss, but varying amounts of Tamoya flat base will give you different sheens.

With all projects though, I would heavily recommend a high gloss coating first as it will add extra strength to the paint.




I can't layer too much though on a transformer, unless you never want to transform him again. Thy have many moving parts and low tolerance on clearance. I bought a bottle of the Model Master Semi-Gloss. They did not have a flat gloss. Honestly I want mine to look the same as one of Hasbro, or at least as close as possible. I am a completist but a cheapsake too, so I won't pay $80 for a retail one. I have a few others I want to do, like Skywarp and maybe Mirage. I probably won't do any more than that. Just the really pricy ones, over $50+.

Do I need to sand the clearcoat to buff out the lines of the paint brush? If so what kind of sandpaper?
User avatar
gambit020480
Fuzor
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Custom Transformers Clearcoating....help!!

Postby Skyfire77 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Motto: "Science can't move forward without heaps!"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
gambit020480 wrote:I can't layer too much though on a transformer, unless you never want to transform him again. Thy have many moving parts and low tolerance on clearance. I bought a bottle of the Model Master Semi-Gloss. They did not have a flat gloss. Honestly I want mine to look the same as one of Hasbro, or at least as close as possible. I am a completist but a cheapsake too, so I won't pay $80 for a retail one. I have a few others I want to do, like Skywarp and maybe Mirage. I probably won't do any more than that. Just the really pricy ones, over $50+.

Do I need to sand the clearcoat to buff out the lines of the paint brush? If so what kind of sandpaper?


Check out this article on ehow, it's pretty good. BTW, I usually sand down moving parts a bit before I paint, just for clearance purposes.
Image
User avatar
Skyfire77
Headmaster
Posts: 1126
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10


Return to Transtopian Discussion

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers TFCC Club Exclusive Scourge 2013 TFSS MIB Unused - Time Remaining: 10 days 3 hours 4 minutes 36 seconds
HASBRO--TRANSFORMERS TIMELINES--CIRCUIT FIGURE (LOOK) CLUB EXCLUSIVE - Time Remaining: 10 days 5 hours 30 minutes 59 seconds
Transformers Collectors Club exclusive BREAKDOWN Deluxe boxed CHUG Classics - Time Remaining: 11 days 8 hours 42 minutes 7 seconds
Transformers TFCC CLUB SUBSCRIPTION TFSS CARZAP AUTOBOT FOWARD PATROL FIGURE - Time Remaining: 13 days 38 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers 2012 Subscription Figure Circuit by Hasbro - Time Remaining: 13 days 6 hours 47 minutes 42 seconds
Transformers 2012 Subscription Figure Scourge by Hasbro - Time Remaining: 14 days 1 hour 4 minutes 58 seconds
2016 Transformers TFCC Subscription Service 4.0 Pretender Bludgeon - Time Remaining: 15 days 2 hours 54 minutes 25 seconds
10421 Transformers Collector Club TFCC 2013 Botcon exclusive Breakdown - Time Remaining: 16 days 9 hours 51 minutes 40 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #164 - Getaway Was Right
Twincast / Podcast #164:
"Getaway Was Right"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, January 21st, 2017
Website Security Test