Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

daily trivia

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Kinda board today so I thought I'd make a trivia thread. So here are my goals/rules.

1. To post(myself at least) one tidbit of trivia or a trivia question a day. If it is a question I will try to post the answer the next day, I hope if anyone else posts a question it's answered in a timely manner.

2. Try not to use the Internet for the answers to a question

3. Try to keep it under a r rating

4. Have fun!
Last edited by njb902 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:35 pm

To start off.

What ships did Oliver "Hazzard" Perry command during the battle of Lake Erie in the war of 1812?

edit: was supposed to be ships not ship.
Last edited by njb902 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:57 am

The answers to yesterday's question are the USS Niagara and the USS Lawrence. Perry was forced to transfer his flag from the Lawrence to the Niagara partway through the battle.

A little bit about the brig Niagara.

The USS Niagara(launched July 4, 1813)is still active to this day, though she is no longer a Navy ship. Her home port is in Erie Pennsylvania, which will be holding a tall ships festival at the beginning of September.



Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower and Wedge (Heavy Load acquired)
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14773
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: daily trivia

Postby RhA » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:39 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


So why did Constantinople get the works?
Image
Latest TF: DOTM Topspin, AOE Galvatron & Generations Gears and Eclipse
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4188
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Banana stand
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:58 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
RhA wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


So why did Constantinople get the works?


Don't quote me on this, but Emperor Constantine the Great's reforms had a hand in that. Constantinople was built to replace Byzantium (first under the name New Rome, but the Romans liked him so much it was renamed Konstantinoupolis in his honor) and was made into the capital of the later Byzantine Empire. Should have added a footnote to that. :lol:
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower and Wedge (Heavy Load acquired)
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14773
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:57 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
RhA wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


So why did Constantinople get the works?


Don't quote me on this, but Emperor Constantine the Great's reforms had a hand in that. Constantinople was built to replace Byzantium (first under the name New Rome, but the Romans liked him so much it was renamed Konstantinoupolis in his honor) and was made into the capital of the later Byzantine Empire. Should have added a footnote to that. :lol:


They might be giants :-$
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby d_sel1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Motto: "Where is this global warming that scientists talk about this winter?"
Weapon: Neptune Sword
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


Here is a trickier question: What was the last capital of the Western Roman Empire?
User avatar
d_sel1
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Suburban Mount Sterling, IL
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 pm

d_sel1 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


Here is a trickier question: What was the last capital of the Western Roman Empire?


Milan I believe, I don't recall what Milan used to be called though, was after Rome. Rivana(sp) I think was the next.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Congratulations JelZe you answered the question correctly, twice even :KREMZEEK:. So for formalities sake the answer was indeed Constantinople/Byzantium.

Today's question is

Who said "Sacred cows make the best hamburger" ?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby RhA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
njb902 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
RhA wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


So why did Constantinople get the works?


Don't quote me on this, but Emperor Constantine the Great's reforms had a hand in that. Constantinople was built to replace Byzantium (first under the name New Rome, but the Romans liked him so much it was renamed Konstantinoupolis in his honor) and was made into the capital of the later Byzantine Empire. Should have added a footnote to that. :lol:


They might be giants :-$


The correct answer is: 'That's nobody's business, but the Turks.'

njb902 wins.
Image
Latest TF: DOTM Topspin, AOE Galvatron & Generations Gears and Eclipse
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4188
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Banana stand
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

The answer to my question yesterday was Mark Twain.

A trivia tidbit on Mr Twain

Haley's Comet was visible in the sky on the
night that Mark Twain was born and on the night he died.


Today's trivia question.

What is Martin Sheen's real name?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby d_sel1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Motto: "Where is this global warming that scientists talk about this winter?"
Weapon: Neptune Sword
njb902 wrote:The answer to my question yesterday was Mark Twain.

A trivia tidbit on Mr Twain

Haley's Comet was visible in the sky on the
night that Mark Twain was born and on the night he died.


Today's trivia question.

What is Martin Sheen's real name?


Last name is Estevez (Carlos Estevez?)

Hannibal, Mark Twain, is only 45 miles from my house
njb902 wrote:
d_sel1 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What was the capital of the eastern Roman(Byzantine) Empire?


Easy: Byzantium, was rechristened Constantinople at one point, and is currently known as Istanbul.


Here is a trickier question: What was the last capital of the Western Roman Empire?


Milan I believe, I don't recall what Milan used to be called though, was after Rome. Rivana(sp) I think was the next.


The answer is Ravenna
User avatar
d_sel1
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Suburban Mount Sterling, IL
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby Shadowman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:54 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
njb902 wrote:Today's trivia question.

What is Martin Sheen's real name?


Ramon Estevez. Learned that one when he was on the Colbert Report. For the record, Charlie's real name is Carlos Estevez.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 am

The answer to yesterday's questions was Ramon Antonio Gerard Estevez. He shortened his names to Martin Sheen when he started acting. Congratulations Shadowman you had the correct answer!

Today's trivia question.

Who holds the world record for running the fastest mile?

Edit: forgot to add running.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:18 am

The answer to yesterday's question is Hicham El Guerrouj of Berkane of Morocco with a time of 3:43.13.

Today's trivia question.

How many protons does Tantalum have?

A. 45

B. 75

C. 73

D. 1


Should I keep the multiple choice format?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
As Proton Count is used for the Element Number, looking it up on the Periodic Table reveals that Tantalum (Ta) has 73 protons.

As for the rest, 1 is Hydrogen (H), 45 is Rhodium (Rh), 75 is Rhenium (Re). :-B

Seriously, you can't really expect anyone to remember the table.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower and Wedge (Heavy Load acquired)
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14773
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:42 am

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:As Proton Count is used for the Element Number, looking it up on the Periodic Table reveals that Tantalum (Ta) has 73 protons.

As for the rest, 1 is Hydrogen (H), 45 is Rhodium (Rh), 75 is Rhenium (Re). :-B

Seriously, you can't really expect anyone to remember the table.


I can't eh? I remember it rather well and I haven't had a chemistry class since my freshman year of college(00-01), so :P
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
njb902 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:As Proton Count is used for the Element Number, looking it up on the Periodic Table reveals that Tantalum (Ta) has 73 protons.

As for the rest, 1 is Hydrogen (H), 45 is Rhodium (Rh), 75 is Rhenium (Re). :-B

Seriously, you can't really expect anyone to remember the table.


I can't eh? I remember it rather well and I haven't had a chemistry class since my freshman year of college(00-01), so :P


Then you're one of a kind ;)
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower and Wedge (Heavy Load acquired)
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14773
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 am

The answer to yesterday's question was C. 73, congratulations JelZe. Tantalum was discovered by Anders Ekeberg of Sweden in1802.

Today's trivia question.


Switzerland is divided up into 26 parts called what?

A. Bundesländer

B. Kratos

C. Provincies

D. Cantons
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby d_sel1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:50 am

Motto: "Where is this global warming that scientists talk about this winter?"
Weapon: Neptune Sword
njb902 wrote:The answer to yesterday's question was C. 73, congratulations JelZe. Tantalum was discovered by Anders Ekeberg of Sweden in1802.

Today's trivia question.


Switzerland is divided up into 26 parts called what?

A. Bundesländer

B. Kratos

C. Provincies

D. Cantons

d. cantons
User avatar
d_sel1
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Suburban Mount Sterling, IL
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 am

The answer to yesterday's question was D. Cantons, congratulations d_sel1. The name is derived from the French language word canton meaning corner or district.

Today's trivia question.

What type of ship was the original USS Enterprise?

A. Battleship

B. Heavy cruiser

C. Aircraft carrier

D. Sloop-of-war
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby njb902 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Bonus question! These questions are worth twice the points.......... So still nothing but now you have twice as much of it :DANCE:


What was the date when The Transformers: The Movie was released?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: daily trivia

Postby d_sel1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Motto: "Where is this global warming that scientists talk about this winter?"
Weapon: Neptune Sword
njb902 wrote:Bonus question! These questions are worth twice the points.......... So still nothing but now you have twice as much of it :DANCE:


What was the date when The Transformers: The Movie was released?


1986


if I am wrong at least I didn't google it
User avatar
d_sel1
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Suburban Mount Sterling, IL
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 1

Re: daily trivia

Postby d_sel1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Motto: "Where is this global warming that scientists talk about this winter?"
Weapon: Neptune Sword
njb902 wrote:The answer to yesterday's question was D. Cantons, congratulations d_sel1. The name is derived from the French language word canton meaning corner or district.

Today's trivia question.

What type of ship was the original USS Enterprise?

A. Battleship

B. Heavy cruiser

C. Aircraft carrier

D. Sloop-of-war


c. aircraft carrier
User avatar
d_sel1
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Suburban Mount Sterling, IL
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 1

Next

Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014