Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 pm

When news recently broke here about Masterpiece Soundwave, this forum, along with others, immediately dismissed it as a mere rumor. Critics of this, whom I completely agree with implied in no uncertain terms that this fairly universal response, was pettiness and if the roles were reversed, the news would have been given more credence - even though it was Hasbro themselves who were the source.

When I challenged such an approach, I was told that it was purely being done because people were erring on the side of caution until confirmation came. Which I accepted as reasonable.

Well Toyfair is here and with it, official confirmation by Hasbro at Toyfair that the initial scoop was completely legitimate.

I pointed this out over an hour ago and since then the News Admin has been covering other aspects of Toyfair reveals, but has been rather silent where the Masterpiece news has been concerned. For someone so quick to dismiss something as rumour, you would think that in the interests of professionalism, they would be equally quick to either add addendums to the initial news article, or retract entire portions of it.

It's upto the staff here as to when or even if they correct their classification of the initial news about the Hasbro release of Soundwave and Acidstorm. However just be aware that the longer you leave it, the less it looks like professional caution and the more it looks like unprofessional pettiness.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby fenrir72 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
@ Bowspearer

Pardon my ignorance but, could you please link me to the post where MP Soundwave international was confirmed by Hasbro?
Current collection status

Number of TFs: 350 +
Rarest TF: Fortmax,Pretenders Metalhawk,KissPlayers Sparkbots,Tomy FE Optimus Prime, custom E-hobby Orion Pax, MP-01 2004, Classics Ultra Magnus, henkei Convoy + FP Trailer, e-hobby Roadrage,iPod G1 colors Convoy
Latest TF:MP-10 Optimus Prime,Optimus Maximus
Wanted TFs:Abominus, Computron, Road Caesar, Leo Kaizer, G1 Scorponok, G1 dinobots, Grandus
Impossible Dream TFs:Overlord,Galaxyshuttle,Black Zarak, Monstructor or Dinoking
User avatar
fenrir72
City Commander
Posts: 3618
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 am
Location: SEA
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 am

There's at least 2 sources that have reported it from Hasbro.

From tformers

Transformers Masterpiece

- New Japanese logo!

- First up is Acid Storm who is a green seeker

- Soundwave with all 5 cassettes and Frenzy and Rumble will have ground pounders.

- Acid Storm and Soundwave will be Toys R Us exclusives.

- It was mentioned Soundwave may sell for around $100 USD, but this is not final.

- Titan Class will include a BIG Metroplex coming!!!

- Inspired by Fall of Cybertron game. This toy will be 24 inches tall.

- Features, Scamper who is a legend scale.

- Figure has light up eyes, flip down visor. articulated pupils, independent cannons, head converts to gunner turret.

- Metroplex will have sounds and phrases.

- Metroplex will have a fashionable and functional helmet.

- Firing projectile blaster, articulated hands/fingers, autobot repair bays, take-off/landing strips, weapon turrets, helipad landing zone in vehicle mode

- Release planned for Fall 2013

- Expected price is $125 USD


From TFW2005

Generations
• Transformers 30th Anniversary packaging and logo for 2014
• Partnering with IDW for story
• Deluxe Class with comic pack-ins include - Bumblebee, Megatron Jet, G1 Trailcutter and Orion Pax.
• Legends Class G1 Optimus Prime with Roller and Bumblebee with Blaster
• Voyager Class G1 Triple Changers Springer and Blitzwing
• Transformers Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus with Forge of Solus
• Transformers Platinum Edition Grimlock vs Bruticus
• Transformers Masterpiece Acid Storm (green Seeker)
• Transformers Masterpiece Soundwave - Includes all 5 Cassettes (Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Buzzsaw, and Laserbeak)
• New logo for Masterpiece toys from Japan
• Titan Class Fall of Cybertron Metroplex
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Burn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:53 am

Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!

Did I win the bet? Vote now!
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38113
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 am

Burn wrote:Oh look, Seibertron.com reported it too.


Right, so why is the initial scoop on OTCA, still classed as "a rumour" on here, when to quote El Duque, who was online here after I raised this in the thread in question:

El Duque wrote:I have little doubt that these are accurate, but until we have physical proof (in-package images of the figures) or official conformation this will be considered a rumor.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Burn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:32 am

I'm not part of the News Crew so I'm not going to speak for them. When they've caught up on things (they've been going for a few hours straight after all) I'm sure they'll be rushing in here to address your concerns. >:oP
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!

Did I win the bet? Vote now!
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38113
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Mkall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 am

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Bowspearer wrote:
Burn wrote:Oh look, Seibertron.com reported it too.


Right, so why is the initial scoop on OTCA, still classed as "a rumour" on here, when to quote El Duque, who was online here after I raised this in the thread in question:

El Duque wrote:I have little doubt that these are accurate, but until we have physical proof (in-package images of the figures) or official conformation this will be considered a rumor.

Because it's now old news. It was a rumour at the time, based on how the Seibertron.com New Staff classify such information, and classified as such. Why is there a reason to go back and modify it? On January 30th, Seibertron.com received the information, classified it as a rumour, and posted it with proper credit to the source.

Now on Feb 9th, we've confirmed it, posted it in our Toy Fair coverage where everything else from the event. As it seems there was no publicly available pictures, there isn't much more we can do with them.

At this point, what are you looking for? Us to re-edit the original news post saying it's confirmed? We've never done that with previous rumour posts so why start now? Perhaps a link back to the original news post saying that it's now confirmed? That can probably be done.

You claim unprofessional pettiness, which is simply not the case. If you look through past news articles, you will see that we keep the Rumour (or Rumor) in the titles because that's what it was at the time. Many times when the rumour, whatever it is, is confirmed, most news staff will at least reference the original post, however with the floodgates of Toy Fair, it's most likely that it was missed and I'll correct it as soon as I can.
Image

My Collection! Updated April 21, 2013
User avatar
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13931
News Credits: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 am

Mkall wrote:Perhaps a link back to the original news post saying that it's now confirmed? That can probably be done.


That would be a reasonable step I think.

Mkall wrote:Many times when the rumour, whatever it is, is confirmed, most news staff will at least reference the original post, however with the floodgates of Toy Fair, it's most likely that it was missed and I'll correct it as soon as I can.


Which is precisely why I made this thread. Remember, I didn't accuse Seibertron on engaging in unprofessional pettiness - I simply said that whether and when some form of addendum was made would determine whether it looked like professional caution or unprofessional pettiness. The fact that you have acknowledged a move to confirm it would be possible and reasonable and indicated you'll take steps to do so, suggests the former rather than the later ;).
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Mkall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Bowspearer wrote:
Mkall wrote:Perhaps a link back to the original news post saying that it's now confirmed? That can probably be done.


That would be a reasonable step I think.

I hope this meets with your satisfaction.
Image

My Collection! Updated April 21, 2013
User avatar
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13931
News Credits: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Great job there Mkall, I think that definitely does things justice here :).
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby GuyIncognito » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Bowspearer wrote:When news recently broke here about Masterpiece Soundwave, this forum, along with others, immediately dismissed it as a mere rumor. Critics of this, whom I completely agree with implied in no uncertain terms that this fairly universal response, was pettiness and if the roles were reversed, the news would have been given more credence - even though it was Hasbro themselves who were the source.

When I challenged such an approach, I was told that it was purely being done because people were erring on the side of caution until confirmation came. Which I accepted as reasonable.

Well Toyfair is here and with it, official confirmation by Hasbro at Toyfair that the initial scoop was completely legitimate.

I pointed this out over an hour ago and since then the News Admin has been covering other aspects of Toyfair reveals, but has been rather silent where the Masterpiece news has been concerned. For someone so quick to dismiss something as rumour, you would think that in the interests of professionalism, they would be equally quick to either add addendums to the initial news article, or retract entire portions of it.

It's upto the staff here as to when or even if they correct their classification of the initial news about the Hasbro release of Soundwave and Acidstorm. However just be aware that the longer you leave it, the less it looks like professional caution and the more it looks like unprofessional pettiness.


Honestly? YOU are the one being petty with this complaint.
User avatar
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
Posts: 4599
News Credits: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 am
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Re: Doing the decent thing and not appearing petty

Postby Bowspearer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm

For starters, at this point, as the issue has now been resolved (effectively making this a "dead" topic), your post here counts as needless necromancing - if not necromancing for the sake of flame-baiting.

Secondly though there was nothing petty about it on my end.

When the initial news was broken, the news crew insisted on classing it as a rumour and effectively claimed that they as soon as they had what they regarded as official confirmation from Hasbro, they would give it its proper due. El Duque and others went to great pains to defend this decision by the news crew here as one of extreme caution due to being burned several times in the past.

Furthermore this was in the context of a much larger dismissive reaction that left several people in the Australian fan community disgusted by the behaviour of the fan community in general - when they had accepted scoops in the past with less credibility when they were the soource, as others had pointed out.

When I saw El Duque was posting news threads, I raised the issue of what he had said in the thread in question, calling on him to make good on his word. However as the lack of response, combined with the fact that posts had been made by him a good hour or so after my post had been made indicated, my post had either been missed or worse, ignored.

So I made the post in question and as your own quote proves, I simply pointed out how a lack of action would come across and left it upto them how they responded to it.

Furthermore if I was being petty, then why did I happily accept the solution Mkall put forward instead of demanding they set a precedent and edit the original news article?

The fact is that the staff proved it to be an oversight and Mkall promptly set things right. This thread is done and dusted and at this point should be left to die. Heck at this point the mods may as well lock it.

Considering this- considering the staff have professionally and promptly responded to what has proven to be a genuine oversight and the situation is resolved, what reason could you have for posting here except to flamebait/troll?

Mods, at this point, I'd ask that the thread be locked as keeping it open serves no purpose and based on what I've just responded to, I honestly can't see any good coming from it being left open.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014