Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon (but now it's not!)

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon (but now it's not!)

Postby Calabask » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am

This I got from TFW2005. All in all, I'm kind of speechless at this. What does Hasbro really hope to gain by crushing the enthusiasm of the conventions put on for fans by systematically going to war with various parts of the fandom. This makes me want to throw together a convention here on the East Coast, or try something out, something where people can go to and enjoy themselves rather than have to deal with the gradual escalation of force that Hasbro is doing here. But I think this, in particular, is worse than the ban on the Third Party stuff being sold. This is just a giant **** you.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... rt-174729/
Calabask
Mini-Con
Posts: 12
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 am

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby El Duque » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
It appears that the restrictions at this year's BotCon will be extending beyond the dealer room and into Artist Alley. Word is starting to spread through the community that sales of "fan art" using Hasbro trademarks and IP will not be permitted. They can provide "fan art", they just can't offer it for purchase. Artists officially employed by Hasbro may be exempt, we await further details and expect an official statement soon. We'll keep you updated as this situation develops.
User avatar
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9913
News Credits: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Bullycon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Motto: "That's not in the Rule Book."
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
I am not a lawyer, but my guess is that this is the legal strategy that Hasbro has been forced into. They have to take a zero-tolerance approach to all infringing works now, just to be able to effectively fight the third-party products. Even things which are effectively harmless, or may even benefit their bottom line, now have to be fought just so Hasbro has a documented history of fighting infringing works. You must protect your trademarks or lose them, in the legal world.

Third-party toys have brought this hammer down from Hasbro. Now, the rest of the fandom gets to suffer, as a result. Thanks, guys. Thanks a whole heap.
For the love of Primus, why must I be a Mississippi State fan?
Bullycon
Minibot
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:28 pm
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Delicon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am

Motto: "Seibertron.com: Other sites lack the meat!"
Weapon: Battle Blades
While it may be the "legal" thing to do, it doesn't sit well with me at all.
datguy86 wrote:This is the second TFCC toy named after a vibrator, yes?
Delicon
Gestalt
Posts: 2392
News Credits: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 pm
Location: Harleysville, PA (Philly Burbs)
Buy from Delicon on eBay
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby korisifu » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

Motto: "Wreck-n-Rule!!"
Weapon: Double Slagmaker Laser
Really glad I didn't join the fan club now. Now I have the benifit of: not having my credit card info hacked, not having to pay full price for 1/3 of a botcon, and can still have my transformers my way. I have a colossus Devastator now thanks to third parties and have just watched quality control at hasbro decline in the prime series.
Image
User avatar
korisifu
Minibot
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Watch korisifu on YouTube
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Rank: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby metaphorge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 am

Motto: "Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!"
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
So I wonder how long it will take Hasbro to come after all the :BOT: "infringement" :CON: going on here at seibertron.com?

Way to shoot yourselves in the feet, guys. Are you going to keep this up until I have to boycott buying anything from you at retail?
Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!
metaphorge
Pretender
Posts: 774
News Credits: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:22 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Uncommon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 am

I would have thought the best way to fight the third-party toys is to actually compete with them.
Uncommon
Mini-Con
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Mindmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:51 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Looks like Hasbro's ban-hammer just got bigger...
Image
Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

craggy wrote:When Hero Mashers are the nicest looking toys in a news post, you know something's wrong.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.

In case of really bad and/or corny puns made by Va'al, click and hit play.
User avatar
Mindmaster
News Staff
Posts: 5665
News Credits: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby FracturedKoi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
I can understand wanting to protect your property, IP, or whatnot, but to restrict fans enjoyment, creativity, enthusiasm, and fun at a convention for the fans is going a bit too far.

I can honestly say that this is one year that I'm glad not to be attending BotCon! My convention of choice this year is Savcon, at least they don't have a ginormous banhammer to thwart my fun!
User avatar
FracturedKoi
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 866
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Anniston, AL
Buy from FracturedKoi on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby metaphorge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am

Motto: "Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!"
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
FracturedKoi wrote:I can understand wanting to protect your property, IP, or whatnot, but to restrict fans enjoyment, creativity, enthusiasm, and fun at a convention for the fans is going a bit too far.
Why should Hasbro care if they don't get paid for said "fun"?
Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!
metaphorge
Pretender
Posts: 774
News Credits: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:22 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Requiem Prime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 am

Motto: "You take care of your team and stay out of my way, so I can take care of mine."
Weapon: Hypersonic Concussion Blasters
Uncommon wrote:I would have thought the best way to fight the third-party toys is to actually compete with them.

Well, this is easier. Trying to one-up against 3rd parties would be a losing battle. They got Hasbro's budget limits and QC beat with higher pricing and limited runs.

It's a little sad Hasbro/Fun Pub decided to stop being cool about it. Outside the MP line, (which Hasbro doesn't tap half as often as Takara) 3rd parties pretty much are the adult collector's line. Moreso really, because most stuff is tailored to join Classics shelves.

I can't say I see why they have to take an all or nothing approach.
User avatar
Requiem Prime
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 544
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 am
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Requiem Prime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 am

Motto: "You take care of your team and stay out of my way, so I can take care of mine."
Weapon: Hypersonic Concussion Blasters
Requiem Prime wrote:It's a little sad Hasbro/Fun Pub decided to stop being cool about it. Outside the MP line, (which Hasbro doesn't tap half as often as Takara) 3rd parties pretty much are the adult collector's line. Moreso really, because most stuff is tailored to join Classics shelves.

Unless they announce they're creating a TF Elite line or something to do just that.
User avatar
Requiem Prime
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 544
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:39 am
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Mindmaster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Requiem Prime wrote:
Requiem Prime wrote:It's a little sad Hasbro/Fun Pub decided to stop being cool about it. Outside the MP line, (which Hasbro doesn't tap half as often as Takara) 3rd parties pretty much are the adult collector's line. Moreso really, because most stuff is tailored to join Classics shelves.

Unless they announce they're creating a TF Elite line or something to do just that.


I'd go for that.
Image
Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

craggy wrote:When Hero Mashers are the nicest looking toys in a news post, you know something's wrong.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.

In case of really bad and/or corny puns made by Va'al, click and hit play.
User avatar
Mindmaster
News Staff
Posts: 5665
News Credits: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Strength: 8
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby metaphorge » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 am

Motto: "Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!"
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
Requiem Prime wrote:I can't say I see why they have to take an all or nothing approach.
Because many large corporations are run by inherently unimaginative people?

Just look at the recording industry.

I imagine Hasbro is particularly susceptible since they seem to want to transform themselves from being a toy company to being an intellectual property company since the manufacture of mass-market (see also: inexpensive) toys is rapidly becoming unsustainable due to labor and transportation costs continuing to spiral out of control.
Control the media, control their minds, control the battlefield!
metaphorge
Pretender
Posts: 774
News Credits: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:22 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Almagnus1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am

I hope we can get a good, indepth explanation for this at BotCon.

Also, someone needs to ask Hasbro why they don't have an line aimed at the adult collector.
Almagnus1
Mini-Con
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
FracturedKoi wrote:I can understand wanting to protect your property, IP, or whatnot, but to restrict fans enjoyment, creativity, enthusiasm, and fun at a convention for the fans is going a bit too far.


You're not totally getting it. It's not the fan art itself that's banned, it's selling it. Giving it away should be perfectly fine, as long as the artist don't earn money from Hasbro's IP without a license. That includes paid commissions.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower & Wedge
3) Energon Sledge, Duststorm, Bonecrusher & Wideload
4) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15021
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby AdamPrime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 am

You know what bugs me?

Hasbro stomp on 3rd party, unlicensed or unofficial works because they receive no benefit (read: money) from the sale of such things. The other party is profiting from Hasbro's characters and established efforts.

So, how is selling second-hand toys any better? Hasbro don't see a cent from the thousands of dollars that changes hands for old toys - be it Armada, Beast Wars, a MISB Fort Max or Galaxy Shuttle. What is happening is the same, dealers are making money (sometimes, a LOT of money) from Hasbro's intellectual property.

So why allow it? What's the difference between a box of G1 figures, and a handpainted picture of a G1 character, say. Both will change hands for money. Hasbro will not receive any profit. Should toy dealers apply for licenses now, or be banned from selling?
AdamPrime
Minibot
Posts: 148
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 am

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
AdamPrime wrote:You know what bugs me?

Hasbro stomp on 3rd party, unlicensed or unofficial works because they receive no benefit (read: money) from the sale of such things. The other party is profiting from Hasbro's characters and established efforts.

So, how is selling second-hand toys any better? Hasbro don't see a cent from the thousands of dollars that changes hands for old toys - be it Armada, Beast Wars, a MISB Fort Max or Galaxy Shuttle. What is happening is the same, dealers are making money (sometimes, a LOT of money) from Hasbro's intellectual property.

So why allow it? What's the difference between a box of G1 figures, and a handpainted picture of a G1 character, say. Both will change hands for money. Hasbro will not receive any profit. Should toy dealers apply for licenses now, or be banned from selling?


Totally different story. Hasbro already has your money (actually, the money from the store buying their stock) from way back when the 2nd hand toys were first bought. Do you see other companies suing stores that deal in 2nd hand items? No. It's basic economics with the supplier not being a company, but an individual, a middleman as it were. Perfectly legal, as the original product was still bought from Hasbro. If it was stolen along the way however, only then you'd have a problem.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower & Wedge
3) Energon Sledge, Duststorm, Bonecrusher & Wideload
4) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15021
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Dorkimus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 am

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
AdamPrime wrote:You know what bugs me?

Hasbro stomp on 3rd party, unlicensed or unofficial works because they receive no benefit (read: money) from the sale of such things. The other party is profiting from Hasbro's characters and established efforts.

So, how is selling second-hand toys any better? Hasbro don't see a cent from the thousands of dollars that changes hands for old toys - be it Armada, Beast Wars, a MISB Fort Max or Galaxy Shuttle. What is happening is the same, dealers are making money (sometimes, a LOT of money) from Hasbro's intellectual property.

So why allow it? What's the difference between a box of G1 figures, and a handpainted picture of a G1 character, say. Both will change hands for money. Hasbro will not receive any profit. Should toy dealers apply for licenses now, or be banned from selling?


Totally different story. Hasbro already has your money (actually, the money from the store buying their stock) from way back when the 2nd hand toys were first bought. Do you see other companies suing stores that deal in 2nd hand items? No. It's basic economics with the supplier not being a company, but an individual, a middleman as it were. Perfectly legal.


Actually some game companies tried to stop people from re-selling their games. Some suggested making the games kind of a console bound. Meaning that once you put the game inside your console it is registered to that particular console only and basically you couldn't sell it forward. But I think that this didn't quite work. Don't remember all the details, but I guess it was against some laws and such.

So you might say that at least some big companies would try to change this thing if they could. Would hastak do the same? Hopefully we'll never know.
User avatar
Dorkimus
Mini-Con
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 am

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Autobot032 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Well, this further proves that Hasbro is TRYING to alienate their fanbase.

This is ridiculous. Can you honestly tell me that fan artists are damaging their bottom line? No. If you try, then you're just drinking the kool aid and won't listen to reason.

Banning 3rd party stuff? Okay. I get it.
Banning the sales of fan art, after it was allowed for ALL these years? No. Sorry, I don't get it.

I think Hasbro's trying to crush Botcon. Make it unappealing, so they can focus on their multimedia and drop the toys and all...altogether.

Mark my words. There will be a day when TFs are a property and nothing else. No toys. Zip.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8996
News Credits: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Dorkimus wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
AdamPrime wrote:You know what bugs me?

Hasbro stomp on 3rd party, unlicensed or unofficial works because they receive no benefit (read: money) from the sale of such things. The other party is profiting from Hasbro's characters and established efforts.

So, how is selling second-hand toys any better? Hasbro don't see a cent from the thousands of dollars that changes hands for old toys - be it Armada, Beast Wars, a MISB Fort Max or Galaxy Shuttle. What is happening is the same, dealers are making money (sometimes, a LOT of money) from Hasbro's intellectual property.

So why allow it? What's the difference between a box of G1 figures, and a handpainted picture of a G1 character, say. Both will change hands for money. Hasbro will not receive any profit. Should toy dealers apply for licenses now, or be banned from selling?


Totally different story. Hasbro already has your money (actually, the money from the store buying their stock) from way back when the 2nd hand toys were first bought. Do you see other companies suing stores that deal in 2nd hand items? No. It's basic economics with the supplier not being a company, but an individual, a middleman as it were. Perfectly legal.


Actually some game companies tried to stop people from re-selling their games. Some suggested making the games kind of a console bound. Meaning that once you put the game inside your console it is registered to that particular console only and basically you couldn't sell it forward. But I think that this didn't quite work. Don't remember all the details, but I guess it was against some laws and such.


Really? Never heard of that story.

My guess is that is to prevent software piracy, as I can imagine it's pretty easy to copy games onto a blank cartridge or disk if you have the right equipment. With us in the Netherlands we're pretty strict on software sales: exchange within 24 hours, or if it has a one-use activation code, no exchange at all.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower & Wedge
3) Energon Sledge, Duststorm, Bonecrusher & Wideload
4) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15021
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Megatron Wolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
well if their goal is to alienate people its working, they're going to lose a fair amount of people because of this and everything else they're pulling these days. Seems hasbros finally found their god complex.
PSN: MegatronWolf
Current TF count: 1540

Image
User avatar
Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
Posts: 4752
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: New York
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 pm

So lame.

Question: how big is artist's alley at Botcon? How big will this affect the con?
Gauntlet101010
Faction Commander
Posts: 4159
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby Torgon02 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:18 pm

Weapon: Electro-Sword
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Dorkimus wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
AdamPrime wrote:You know what bugs me?

Hasbro stomp on 3rd party, unlicensed or unofficial works because they receive no benefit (read: money) from the sale of such things. The other party is profiting from Hasbro's characters and established efforts.

So, how is selling second-hand toys any better? Hasbro don't see a cent from the thousands of dollars that changes hands for old toys - be it Armada, Beast Wars, a MISB Fort Max or Galaxy Shuttle. What is happening is the same, dealers are making money (sometimes, a LOT of money) from Hasbro's intellectual property.

So why allow it? What's the difference between a box of G1 figures, and a handpainted picture of a G1 character, say. Both will change hands for money. Hasbro will not receive any profit. Should toy dealers apply for licenses now, or be banned from selling?


Totally different story. Hasbro already has your money (actually, the money from the store buying their stock) from way back when the 2nd hand toys were first bought. Do you see other companies suing stores that deal in 2nd hand items? No. It's basic economics with the supplier not being a company, but an individual, a middleman as it were. Perfectly legal.


Actually some game companies tried to stop people from re-selling their games. Some suggested making the games kind of a console bound. Meaning that once you put the game inside your console it is registered to that particular console only and basically you couldn't sell it forward. But I think that this didn't quite work. Don't remember all the details, but I guess it was against some laws and such.


Really? Never heard of that story.

My guess is that is to prevent software piracy, as I can imagine it's pretty easy to copy games onto a blank cartridge or disk if you have the right equipment. With us in the Netherlands we're pretty strict on software sales: exchange within 24 hours, or if it has a one-use activation code, no exchange at all.


I actually have a couple of DS games like that. To activate the games online functionality it registered the game/console combination so I can never use that cartridge online in different console or with a different user account.

EA is leading the way for a total ban on all used game sales with the idea that every time someone buys a used game they lose a new copy sale :BANG_HEAD:
And I think it's Warner Bro's who is trying to do the same with movies :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD:
User avatar
Torgon02
Mini-Con
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: B.C. Canada

Re: Fan Art Sales now being banned at Botcon.

Postby GetRightRobot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Motto: "Surf in the Summer, Collect in the Winter."
Weapon: Neptune Sword
As a customizer who has spent roughly $300 on materials and 80+ hours on a Botcon custom entry, F**K You. I won't be bother bringing it. I'll ebay it, the same way I will get all of my future Botcon/Club exclusives. I'm done.

If you plan to protect Intellectual Properties includes chasing off your fanbase, it's working.
User avatar
GetRightRobot
Godmaster
Posts: 1702
News Credits: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: MB SC!!!
Watch GetRightRobot on YouTube
Buy from GetRightRobot on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014