Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

FoC Shockwave "to small"

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby leakin' lubricant » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Bearing in mind that FoC Shocky recived a lot of criticism regarding his stature, I thought I should make the following observation.

Image

As you can see he is well in line with other deluxe figures, figures that are generally considered to be amongst the best molds of the CHUG line, so why is it that Shocky received so much criticism?
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 513
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:07 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Just my personal opinion, but I think it's because the figures you compared FOC Shockwave to were from lines where the majority of the figs were larger, so the odd shorty or midget is easily overlooked.

In any case, G1 Hound is supposed to be one of the shorter characters in the cartoon, and the other taller characters' figs from the same Classics line are also appropriately taller. As for Wheeljack, he was retooled to be shorter to make him different from RTS Tracks with whom he shares the mold.

Just my two cents' worth.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Shadowstream » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 am

Weapon: No Weapon
You realize you're comparing him to some of the shorter deluxes from previous lines. Even if he did stand alright as a deluxe, Shockwave is a big name con deserving of a larger size class in my opinion.
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Nothing Hasbro does surprises me anymore, their ineptitude is legendary!

Burn wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:It's quite clear they dun dropped the ball, but did they have to drop it so far and so hard?

It's FunPub. It's their specialty.

I'm a killjoy, and proud of it!
don't take that to mean I'm a killjoy just because I can be, though...
User avatar
Shadowstream
Headmaster
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 am

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby leakin' lubricant » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I think it's because the figures you compared FOC Shockwave to were from lines where the majority of the figs were larger, so the odd shorty or midget is easily overlooked.

In any case, G1 Hound is supposed to be one of the shorter characters in the cartoon, and the other taller characters' figs from the same Classics line are also appropriately taller. As for Wheeljack, he was retooled to be shorter to make him different from RTS Tracks with whom he shares the mold.

Just my two cents' worth.


If were talking about matching there size from the cartoon then surely Starscream should be much bigger.
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 513
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Blurrz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 am

Motto: "The Wreckers. Weird brain bullets. Impossible odds... It doesn't get much better than this."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
The context of the toy is the FoC video game. If you compare him to Generations Megatron and Deluxe Soundwave - the Shockwave toy just isn't at the same caliber. I could care less about the height, but the quality of the toy just isn't the same compared to the characters who are suppose to be his peers. Ultimately he's not bad, I'm not going to complain about his height, but not going to say he's great either.
dA/twitter/tumblr
Image
MTMTE customs - Click the picture to see my progress
User avatar
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
Posts: 11577
News Credits: 102
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:31 am
Location: Oil Country
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:00 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
leakin' lubricant wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:Just my personal opinion, but I think it's because the figures you compared FOC Shockwave to were from lines where the majority of the figs were larger, so the odd shorty or midget is easily overlooked.

In any case, G1 Hound is supposed to be one of the shorter characters in the cartoon, and the other taller characters' figs from the same Classics line are also appropriately taller. As for Wheeljack, he was retooled to be shorter to make him different from RTS Tracks with whom he shares the mold.

Just my two cents' worth.


If were talking about matching there size from the cartoon then surely Starscream should be much bigger.


Which is why I didn't mention him in the G1 comparison. He (and his seeker repaints) happens to be an "anomaly" height-wise, like ROTF Lockdown, who's almost as tall as a voyager class fig.

If anything, Starscream should have a voyager mold, since he's more in line with Megatron's size than any of the Classics deluxes like Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Noideaforaname » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 am

"Too small" depends on context.

Shockwave's size is an alright size for my purposes. I think he scales well with WfC Soundwave and repurposed Movie-Starcream-as-some-FoC-guy, despite noticeably having less mass.
Image

Now compared to, say, RotF Dead End/Sideways, then Shockwave looks way small. But I don't really plan on having the two together, so the size doesn't matter that much to me. Tailwhip, Armorhide, Air Raid (the green one) size up decently, but again Shockwave isn't going to hang out with them.
*note I'm just grabbing random Deluxes that are in robot mode for this*
Image
Krazy 'bout Kreons: Customs ~ Photos ~ Art
My deviantART
User avatar
Noideaforaname
Gestalt
Posts: 2299
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby warzon3 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm

I think the original G1 toy is what throws people off because it was so big.

People think he was huge on the cartoon too, but I think there was an episode in the 2nd season where he is the exact same size as Starscream, maybe half a head smaller, but just chunkier. So if you go by that he isn't even as tall as Megatron or Soundwave on the Show....

I gave FOC Shockwave Cyclonus' legs and his height is pretty good, but he is just missing the chunky beefiness G1 Shockwave had....
warzon3
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby RAcast » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
It's been said already, but it hasn't quite sunk in I think. Scale-wise, Shockwave does just fine, he looks great, as a matter of fact.

But the problem is the VERY noticable decrease in mass and quality of the figure. Yes, it looks good; in fact it looks great, but he's very thin and hollow and light.

And TC, you picked other anomalously short deluxes from previous lines, not deluxes who are about average height from their respective lines. Which is particularly bad, because Shockwave is probably arguably the tallest FoC Deluxe from wave one. Many of the combaticons are notably taller, buuut they're very very hollow and lacking in mass.
User avatar
RAcast
Gestalt
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah, that comparison is really no good. You can't take out a whole bunch of small deluxes and say he's fine at his height.

Still, according to the scale guide in the Ark he aught to be slightly taller than Starscream and slightly smaller than Megatron, at least for the G1 show scale. I .... guess that makes him fine? Assuming you're using the tank Megatron mold.

Image

Of course that means Bumblebee and Sideswipe can kick any of their asses at their sizes. And if hes in a WFC display, BB is especially larger.
Gauntlet101010
City Commander
Posts: 3982
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby leakin' lubricant » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Shadowstream wrote:You realize you're comparing him to some of the shorter deluxes from previous lines. Even if he did stand alright as a deluxe, Shockwave is a big name con deserving of a larger size class in my opinion.


Couldn't the same be said about Starscream or Wheeljack, the point I am trying to make is that there are number of molds that are deserving of taller stature yet have received favorable reviews whereas Shockwave got a heap of criticism.
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 513
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Counterpunch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
"Too small" isn't just a comment on Shockwave's height.

Though he IS too small and too short, it should be noted that every aspect of him is diminutive where Shockwave should be a robust character.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby GuyIncognito » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Counterpunch wrote:"Too small" isn't just a comment on Shockwave's height.

Though he IS too small and too short, it should be noted that every aspect of him is diminutive where Shockwave should be a robust character.


G1 Shockwave had skinny legs. I wouldn't call it "robust". His torso was bulky, but that was merely the by-product of it being a toy with electronics from an era when electronic components were bigger, not a product of some intentional design on Has/Tak's part.

I think we all WANT Shockwave to be big because we remember holding that big gun in our little hands when we were kids, but I don't think it's fair to expect every iteration of SW to be big just because that one was.

Image

Image
User avatar
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
Posts: 4646
News Credits: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 am
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Shadowstream » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
leakin' lubricant wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:You realize you're comparing him to some of the shorter deluxes from previous lines. Even if he did stand alright as a deluxe, Shockwave is a big name con deserving of a larger size class in my opinion.


Couldn't the same be said about Starscream or Wheeljack, the point I am trying to make is that there are number of molds that are deserving of taller stature yet have received favorable reviews whereas Shockwave got a heap of criticism.


Agreed, however I think Starscream gets away with it(barely) for the sake of the mass of repaint value you can get out of him. Smaller figure means it's cheaper to put out. Wheeljack... well I can only blame the shorter legs for any height issues he has, otherwise he's a deluxe car mold and really doesn't need to be that tall. Shockwave is a top tier con meant to be right below Megatron in height, and has no(obvious) repaint value. Top all that with the fact that he's amid the figure generation who's plastic content is barely substantial enough for the price point it's being sold at, and I think the disappointment is justifiable. Granted he's not the worst of the lot, I think either Jazz or Optimus have that entitlement, but he is still low tier in my book.
MightyMagnus78 wrote:Nothing Hasbro does surprises me anymore, their ineptitude is legendary!

Burn wrote:
Shadowstream wrote:It's quite clear they dun dropped the ball, but did they have to drop it so far and so hard?

It's FunPub. It's their specialty.

I'm a killjoy, and proud of it!
don't take that to mean I'm a killjoy just because I can be, though...
User avatar
Shadowstream
Headmaster
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 am

Re: FoC Shockwave "to small"

Postby Bonecrusher27 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:23 am

Besides all the other good points already mentioned, what really killed it for me not just FOC Shockwave, is simply the knowledge that Hasbro started making deluxes smaller in order to cheap out on costs. This horrible state of affairs started out with the DOTM, continued with TP, and now FOC and Generations are going to be casualties as well. There's knowing that a figure was made deliberately small (e.g. the excellent Hailstorm)in a line up of 'normal' sized deluxes. Then there's knowing that they're all going to be small to save costs. Thin, hollowed out, flimsy looking.

To add insult to injury - I don't know about the States - but not only are the figures smaller, they have increased prices in my country too. That is a double whammy for me, and indeed I'd lost interest in TF for the longest time because of this, saving me lots of money which isn't really a consolation because I'd gotten spoilt over the years looking out for new lines and choosing great deluxes to add to my collection. When they came out with Terradive I really believe I was at the highest of my happiness and satisfaction, looking ahead to what else would come. Who knew it was the beginning of the end.
Bonecrusher27
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 965
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:09 am


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion