Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Convotron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I saw the movie tonight and I am pleasantly surprised by the experience. It is by no means a perfect movie, it has a few weaknesses, but the strengths far outnumber them.

Retaliation isn't a reboot but it might as well be. While it is a sequel in that it carries over story elements from Rise of Cobra, it is a vastly different experience with respect to tone of the story. Gone are the super fantastic tech of RoC. There are still uses of advanced technology but nothing in the realm of what was seen in RoC(ie. Delta 6 suits).

Retaliation feels more like Batman Begins in that it grounds the larger than life concept of the source material in realistic elements. This is compared to Rise of Cobra, which was trying too hard to bring the 80s cartoon, laser guns and all, to the live action medium.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.


Image

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
User avatar
Convotron
City Commander
Posts: 3397
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Canadia
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Rodimus Prime » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

Motto: "...and hell followed with him."
Weapon: Twin Photon Blasters
I'm probably gonna see it on Thursday.

My only question is how long is Sgt. Slaughter in it? Cameo or actual role?
............Image
User avatar
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15692
News Credits: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Convotron » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Slaughter does make a very brief cameo in the movie.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.


Image

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
User avatar
Convotron
City Commander
Posts: 3397
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Canadia
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Convotron wrote:Retaliation feels more like Batman Begins in that it grounds the larger than life concept of the source material in realistic elements. This is compared to Rise of Cobra, which was trying too hard to bring the 80s cartoon, laser guns and all, to the live action medium.


That itself is worth the price of admission. I didn't really enjoy ROC precisely because of those elements you mentioned; tried too hard to bring the feel of the cartoons into the movie.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2271
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Motto: "Zounds! A sarsparilla swimming hole! Last one in's a freemason!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Saw the movie myself. Totally awesome. Now, I felt that because they ended up killing off 90% of G.I. joe, only The Rock and Snake-Eyes were cool. And even then, the Cobra heavy hitters were cooler than the Joes. Just my opinion though. And i was so happy that they didn't have any delta suits.

Convotron wrote:Slaughter does make a very brief cameo in the movie.

Where was this? I thought I would've caught that, nut obviously...
Check out my customs:
>Classics Prowl, Soundwave, and Starscream
>IDW Whirl
User avatar
Nemesis Maximo
Brainmaster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Northern MI
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Mkall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
I enjoyed it. It moved at a good pace and the story was much better than the first one. However, I do not feel like it was the same GI Joe experience that I've grown up with.

Most of the characters could have been given different IDs and the movie could have easily have been any number of generic action movies.

It was a good flick, but overall it wasn't all that memorable IMO.

Cobra Commander was pretty awesome though.
Image

My Collection! Updated April 21, 2013
User avatar
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14119
News Credits: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby El Duque » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:14 am

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
As a casual Joe fan I enjoyed it, but I have feeling hardcore Joe fans probably didn't. I agree with Mkall, outside of Cobra Commander they could have gave most of the rest generic names and it could have been any other action flick.

Where was the Sgt. Slaughter cameo?
User avatar
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9913
News Credits: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Convotron » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I thought I spotted Slaughter during the last scene of the movie. I may be mistaken. I saw that Robert Remus(Sgt. Slaughter) in the cast list. Maybe he is in a deleted scene.

I agree that for the most part, characters in Retaliation and their namesakes from A Real American Hero(ARAH) don't match up that well but at the same time, I think it was for the best. If we had a Roadblock that was derived too faithfully from ARAH or subsequent continuity lines, the character wouldn't have served well as the CO of the remaining Joes.

I think that the main weakness of Retaliation is that Paramount wanted to continue on from Rise of Cobra. The baggage of carrying over elements from RoC made the first 3rd of Retaliation a matter of story catch-up, trying to explain what's going on with the main Joe forces, Snake Eyes, and the remaining senior members of Cobra. We saw a few attempts at character establishment but Flint got a bit part while Roadblock and Lady Jaye were given more to work with in the script.

Apparently Paramount has greenlit a third GI Joe movie so we'll see how things go from here. I think that if the third GI Joe movie continues on from what Retaliation established, it should allow for more and better character development.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.


Image

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
User avatar
Convotron
City Commander
Posts: 3397
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Canadia
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Motto: "Zounds! A sarsparilla swimming hole! Last one in's a freemason!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Convotron wrote:I thought I spotted Slaughter during the last scene of the movie. I may be mistaken. I saw that Robert Remus(Sgt. Slaughter) in the cast list. Maybe he is in a deleted scene.

I agree that for the most part, characters in Retaliation and their namesakes from A Real American Hero(ARAH) don't match up that well but at the same time, I think it was for the best. If we had a Roadblock that was derived too faithfully from ARAH or subsequent continuity lines, the character wouldn't have served well as the CO of the remaining Joes.

I think that the main weakness of Retaliation is that Paramount wanted to continue on from Rise of Cobra. The baggage of carrying over elements from RoC made the first 3rd of Retaliation a matter of story catch-up, trying to explain what's going on with the main Joe forces, Snake Eyes, and the remaining senior members of Cobra. We saw a few attempts at character establishment but Flint got a bit part while Roadblock and Lady Jaye were given more to work with in the script.

Apparently Paramount has greenlit a third GI Joe movie so we'll see how things go from here. I think that if the third GI Joe movie continues on from what Retaliation established, it should allow for more and better character development.

I do agree that the stories from the dirst film had a somewhat adverse effect on the Joes as far as characterization. But I also thought they did a pretty good job with the villains in both movies. I really loved all of he core of Cobra other than the Commander and Baroness. She was just stupid.
Check out my customs:
>Classics Prowl, Soundwave, and Starscream
>IDW Whirl
User avatar
Nemesis Maximo
Brainmaster
Posts: 1261
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Northern MI
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 am

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Well i guess i'll start it off on the bad note..

I didn't like it. I found myself questioning weather or not i was even watching a G.I. Joe movie. It felt like it was a completely generic action movie and like others have said, had the names of the characters not been mentioned, i wouldn't have even considered this to be Joe related material. It did have heavy influences from G.I. Joe Resolute, which was good, but that story line had already been done.

I also didn't like the fact that there was very little vehicles. Part of G.I. Joe was the kick ass vehicles. Yes, there were some good shots and few cool vehicles. But for the most part they were just a few seconds of coverage.

Cobra Commander's look was far better than the first movie which was good, but what's up with his voice?? Not saying he needed to have his star scream voice over like in the cartoon, but it sounded like the voice of a lion coming out of the butt of a chiwaawa. Also, what's up with Leaving Destro to die in the prison??? What a complete waste of a character.

I now can see why they postponed it for a year to re-film in 3D. Cause if it had any saving grace, that would have been it. (though to be honest, i didn't think the 3D added anything redeeming. Oh well. Life will go on.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1188
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby BeastProwl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
I just think the whole sequel thing got in the way. None of the other joes were even mentioned, and they killed off the rest, leaving us with very little to work with. Also, why kill Duke? I mean, he was the most developed character and his dynamic with Roadblock was great. Just kill him off and forget about his brainwashed girlfriend and Ripcord. Just seems like alot of ilogical thinking there.

The movie's saving grace, for me at least, was the dynamic between Stormshadow and Snakeyes. From beginning to end, the two continued to impress me. They even had a little heart to heart moment, which felt like it fit. Even if Stormshadow surviving made no sense.

Lastly, the Nuclear Launch sequence scene. That deserves all the praise. It was ingenuous, and a ton of bonechilling fun. Well, up until london was destroyed anyway.

I think its a good movie, it just has holes and inconsistencies. What will happen to Destro? And where was Sgt. Slaughter?
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6077
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 am

Motto: "...and hell followed with him."
Weapon: Twin Photon Blasters
Hopefully the 3rd film will answer the questions about Cobra Commander, Destro, and Stormshadow.

I saw it last night and liked it. I went in expecting it to be a stand alone film, and it worked. I knew, because of the cast, that it couldn't and wouldn't be a sequel.

As for killing Duke, I also thought it was a bad idea, but it occurred to me that Hasbro did a reverse 1986. Back then, Prime died and Duke lived. In the live-action movies, Prime lived in RoTF and Duke died in this film.

And Slaughter was listed in the credits online, but he wasn't in the credits in the film which means he wasn't in there. I was looking for him. He's probably in a deleted scene and it will be on the DVD/BR.
............Image
User avatar
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15692
News Credits: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby BeastProwl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 am

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
Stormshadow surviving and the joe's from the first movie disappearing probably wont even be touched on if they make a part 3. Hasbro isn't there to make good, consistent film. They are there to cash in to make more toys.
I think this one should have started with Roadblock and his team going after cobra separately, as a last ditch effort, black ops sort of deal. Characters from the first film should have never been a part of it, save for Snake-eyes and all of Cobra

It would make more sense than what really happened...
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6077
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Convotron » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
BeastProwl wrote:I think its a good movie, it just has holes and inconsistencies.


This sums up my view of the movie. I thought it was good. Not great but a good movie that, despite the plot issues, was able to shine through the flaws.

Now the third movie has absolutely no excuse for flaws relating to carrying over elements from Retaliation as long as it maintains the tone that has been established.

I do think that we need more named Joes and Cobra characters in GI Joe 3. A common criticism of Retaliation is that only a few characters shine and most others lack personality. There is a ripe opportunity in GI Joe 3 for getting more Joes and Cobra on the screen in a significant capacity.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.


Image

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
User avatar
Convotron
City Commander
Posts: 3397
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Canadia
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Mkall » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 am

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
BeastProwl wrote:Stormshadow surviving and the joe's from the first movie disappearing probably wont even be touched on if they make a part 3.

But it was touched on, or rather it was inferred.

When Stormshadow took that explosion in the prison escape, it looked pretty fatal, or at least near lethal. That's why they took him to that monstary and that crazy old healer lady (and COBRA tech). I suspect that was the same method used to revive him from GI Joe 1.
Image

My Collection! Updated April 21, 2013
User avatar
Mkall
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14119
News Credits: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Just Negare » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 am

Motto: "Who ate all the pies?"
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
I like it based on rule of contrast. Compared to that first mess, it was great, as a standalone its really just another generic action movie - as others have stated.

I'm glad they sorted out Snakeeye's mask, the lips from the first movie were just... odd.

I liked that they made Cobra Commander more inline with his character. Very glad they had Baroness out of it, she was just a walkign disaster in the other one. Destro might be in the 3rd as kind of a revenge play or "yes master, I deserved it" spiel when he does [if he does] get free.

Of course, Hasbro being Hasbro, and with Stormshadow's return from the dead, who's to say none of the other Joes won't pop back to life. Or they'll just introduce an old Joe as a new Joe.
Something memorable here.
Just Negare
City Commander
Posts: 3228
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:11 pm
Location: Not at work is where.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 8
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 9

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby Seibertron » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
So I now have 2 copies of this on Blu-Ray because I couldn't decide which version I wanted. I still haven't seen Retaliation yet. I'd like to watch it on 3D because we don't have many 3D movies for my almost 2 year old 3D TV and because they made such a big deal about converting it to 3D. However, the fanboy in me said "screw 3D you want the Best Buy exclusive that's the extended version with an extra 13 minutes of footage". Unfortunately, the Best Buy version is not in 3D. I like G.I. Joe and I like supporting the brand, but I don't think I need two different versions of Retaliation. Which version should I open???

:michaelbay: :KREMZEEK:
Image

Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, + more!

For Sale: Unreleased G2 Combat Hero Optimus Prime and G2 Combat Hero Megatron
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23398
News Credits: 763
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Postby njb902 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 am

Seibertron wrote:So I now have 2 copies of this on Blu-Ray because I couldn't decide which version I wanted. I still haven't seen Retaliation yet. I'd like to watch it on 3D because we don't have many 3D movies for my almost 2 year old 3D TV and because they made such a big deal about converting it to 3D. However, the fanboy in me said "screw 3D you want the Best Buy exclusive that's the extended version with an extra 13 minutes of footage". Unfortunately, the Best Buy version is not in 3D. I like G.I. Joe and I like supporting the brand, but I don't think I need two different versions of Retaliation. Which version should I open???

:michaelbay: :KREMZEEK:


I don't really care for the 3d gimmick myself, so I'd go for the best buy version.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am


Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014