Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

G1 Style Unicron

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

Moderators: Seibertron, Dead Metal

G1 Style Unicron

Postby Big Grim » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Motto: "Among the Winners, there is no room for the weak!"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Not sure if this is strickly the right forum but what the heck.

I was looking at Armada Unicron and thought that no matter how ya cut it, he looks wrong. I decided to attack the translucent plastic and all the purple to make him look more like his G1 namesake.
I painted him up and looked at the Movie again and saw that he needed some paint on the helmet too. Also put together a fairly basic mouth plate but I think it does the job. Looks more like I think Unicron should.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I found that using the ink washes has really brought out all the detail on the planet mode shell and all the other parts that have been altered.

In any event, I hope you guys like him.
Last edited by Big Grim on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Big Grim
Faction Commander
Posts: 4178
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:00 am
Location: Darkest Scotland
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby GlauG » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:16 pm

I've seen a few Inkwashed Unicrons, but this one looks nice. The mouthpiece is a good touch. :)
GlauG
Micromaster
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:00 am

G1 Style Unicron

Postby Dark_Fool » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Looking sharp!
"...and then I rode off.... on the grass!"
Image
Dark_Fool
Headmaster
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby TM Devastator » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:03 am

I like the robot mode, but the appearance of the planet mode is awesome.
Image
TM Devastator
Site Owner
Posts: 2567
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:31 pm
Location: Western NY

Postby Soundwarp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:44 am

Hot damm, thats awesome!
Soundwarp
Mini-Con
Posts: 0
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:23 pm

Postby Big Grim » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:36 am

Motto: "Among the Winners, there is no room for the weak!"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
I'm glad you guys like him!

I am very pleased with him to be honest. I particularly like the planet mode. Thinking of painting the minicon ports and the wee nubs yellow, like he had just fed. Not sure.
Image
Big Grim
Faction Commander
Posts: 4178
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:00 am
Location: Darkest Scotland
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby GlauG » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:05 am

Big Grim wrote:I'm glad you guys like him!

I am very pleased with him to be honest. I particularly like the planet mode. Thinking of painting the minicon ports and the wee nubs yellow, like he had just fed. Not sure.


If you can find cheap UV paint (like UV nail polish or something) and have a blacklight handy, you could have a beautiful looking display going on if you washed the ring parts or even just painted the fine details...
GlauG
Micromaster
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:00 am

Postby Skullgrin140 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:11 am

Just Beautiful!
Image
Skullgrin140
Brainmaster
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:18 am
Location: Chelmsford, United Kingdom

Postby RavageX-9 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:26 am

I wouldn't use yellow paint for the glowing. it doesn't look right. it just looks like yellow.

someone needs to recast the wings in clear plastic and then paint over them, leaving small holes here and there for light to come out, and then stick a few LEDs in them.

that new mouth looks nice, but kind of crooked.

it's too bad no one has tired to put those spikey arms of his in the back.
master of the arbitrary and figurative
RavageX-9
Pretender
Posts: 776
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:21 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Tramp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:03 pm

Another option for those Minicon ports is to paint them silver then apply a yellow clearcoat, not opaque yellow.
Tramp
Godmaster
Posts: 1638
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Postby Big Grim » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Motto: "Among the Winners, there is no room for the weak!"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
I was just thinking on that actually Tramp.

You see, that is what I did for the abdominal Reactor he has. Painted it in a bright Mithril silver and gave it a few coats of Tamiya Clear Red. Means the reactor still shines rather nicely.

And yeah. The planet mouth is somewhat crooked. I think I'll redo that.
Image
Big Grim
Faction Commander
Posts: 4178
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:00 am
Location: Darkest Scotland
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby tentagil » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm

That rocks so much.
tentagil
Pretender
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 pm

Postby @l3x » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:14 pm

i like it but i would paint the right hand to match
@l3x
Micromaster
Posts: 75
News Credits: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:36 pm

Postby Tramp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:19 pm

@l3x wrote:i like it but i would paint the right hand to match


I wouldn?t. I would leave the hand as it is. The glowing hand is a great effect.
Tramp
Godmaster
Posts: 1638
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Postby Primus_feather » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:43 pm

I really think you should paint the feet to match to planet shell, i mean they just stick out in panet mode and the grey shade doesnt really matter in bot mode.
Primus_feather
Micromaster
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:52 am

Postby tentagil » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

I'm still trying to figure out different painting techniquies. Could you explain exactly how you got that look on the shell?

You said Ink Wash but not sure how you do that exactly.
tentagil
Pretender
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 pm

G1 Style Unicron

Postby Dark_Fool » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:22 am

I don't know what was used here, but in the Citadel range an ink ir wash is essentially a really watery paint. you just slap it on over normal paint and it brings out detail and gives the base paint a tinge in that colour.

dry brushing is a good trick too. all you do is get the paint off your brush by painting until there's no paint left, then you run the brsuh over areas and it leaves a faint amount of that paint on the surface. It's good for details, look at Decepticon Inferno and you'll see what I mean
"...and then I rode off.... on the grass!"
Image
Dark_Fool
Headmaster
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Anthony-aggro » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:45 am

That looks really cool. I like it. I wish that you had less blurry pics though.
Later there will be something better here.
Anthony-aggro
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:42 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: G1 Style Unicron

Postby Big Grim » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:46 pm

Motto: "Among the Winners, there is no room for the weak!"
Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
As do I mate. I have never really been that great with cameras.

Dark_Fool wrote:I don't know what was used here, but in the Citadel range an ink ir wash is essentially a really watery paint. you just slap it on over normal paint and it brings out detail and gives the base paint a tinge in that colour.

dry brushing is a good trick too. all you do is get the paint off your brush by painting until there's no paint left, then you run the brsuh over areas and it leaves a faint amount of that paint on the surface. It's good for details, look at Decepticon Inferno and you'll see what I mean


And those are what I used. Base coat, ink wash and dry brush. Pulls all the detail out beautifully.
Image
Big Grim
Faction Commander
Posts: 4178
News Credits: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:00 am
Location: Darkest Scotland
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3
Endurance: 10
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: G1 Style Unicron

Postby Dark_Fool » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:13 pm

Big Grim wrote:As do I mate. I have never really been that great with cameras.

Dark_Fool wrote:I don't know what was used here, but in the Citadel range an ink ir wash is essentially a really watery paint. you just slap it on over normal paint and it brings out detail and gives the base paint a tinge in that colour.

dry brushing is a good trick too. all you do is get the paint off your brush by painting until there's no paint left, then you run the brsuh over areas and it leaves a faint amount of that paint on the surface. It's good for details, look at Decepticon Inferno and you'll see what I mean


And those are what I used. Base coat, ink wash and dry brush. Pulls all the detail out beautifully.


certainly does. I always liked using inks on the base coat for that purpose. It's a somewhat lazier approach than dry brushing :wink:
"...and then I rode off.... on the grass!"
Image
Dark_Fool
Headmaster
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Tramp » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:38 pm

The real trick is to combine washes and Drybrushing together. Washes seep into the crevases darkening them while Drybrushing brings out the highlights. When both techniques are used together, they bring out all the details more sharply. Colored clearcoats can sometimes be used as substitutes for washes when used on metallics
Tramp
Godmaster
Posts: 1638
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm


Return to Customizations

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014