Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:19 pm

I just finished an article for this on my website. I'd appreciate if you could all check it out and tell me what you think:
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/20 ... ool-or-ne/

Title says it all. Both have their strong points, G1 primarily with the more well rounded characters and nostalgia factor and the new Bay movies with the amazing visuals... but which do you find yourself liking?
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby MightyMagnus78 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Motto: ""Consistency is victory.""
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
As a child of the eighties, I am genetically programmed to love G1! :BOT:
Image
User avatar
MightyMagnus78
Brainmaster
Posts: 1416
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire, England
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby Chaoslock » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Amazing visuals? Well, if you like sharp edges.
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Image

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
User avatar
Chaoslock
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5246
News Credits: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:31 am
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby UltraSteel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Motto: "Just Win."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
I'm actually trying to find the episodes of the old shows on YouTube so I can compare the two. Probably aren't too comparable though.
Image
(Formerly known as Groove)
User avatar
UltraSteel
Minibot
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Cybertron
Watch UltraSteel on YouTube
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Chaoslock wrote:Amazing visuals? Well, if you like sharp edges.


Whether you liked the new designs or not (which admittedly I was not too fond of at first)... you have to admit that they are impressively animated on screen and of course, if Michael Bay is good for one (albeit the only) thing, it's making things go boom on screen.
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby dinogeist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 am

I'd safely say the generation one 1986 movie was far superior than the micheal bay TF Movies.

Personally,I felt the 1986 TF Movie had better written dialogue,better story arcs,better robot designs. more 3-d personas. less annoying humans. most important the 1986 movie was from a robots point of view & not from a humans point of view. the intended viewer age level for the 1986 TF Movie felt like it was for older teenagers & adults. the back ground music was awesome. for the most part they had a talented cast of writters,voice actors & animators.

I think the micheal bay TF movies were awful. because #1,the dialogue was horrible,it felt like something spoken from 6o years ago. another failure was the all ages theme,it's never a good thing to mix toddler comedy with serious violence,the end result is always cheesy. i felt like 90%+ of the human cast was the most talentless & annoying i've ever had the dis-pleasure of seeing. having the humans get more screen time & more speaking lines than the robots was another failure in my book. shia le bouf didn't deserve to be in these TF movies,he ruined all the scenes he was in because he can't act out emotions properly,he either under acts or over acts in the wrong scenes. 90% of the robots didn't even receive 1D persona's. while the CGI Robots designs were cutting edge advanced they were still ugly. at the very least the 1986 TF Movies had better robots designs that were more beautiful to see.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Part 2 of the Debate is up:

6 Reasons Why the Original Transformers Cartoon is Better than the Movies.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/20 ... ew-part-2/
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby Eclipsica » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Motto: "Here to enjoy my "mental illness" of TF fandom."
I like G1 better. I don't hate the TF movies, though I wasn't impressed either.
User avatar
Eclipsica
Micromaster
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Location: Southern VT
Buy from Eclipsica on eBay

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby RhA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
MightyMagnus78 wrote:As a child of the eighties, I am genetically programmed to love G1! :BOT:


This. The reason why this forum is here in the first place.

I live the movies, Bay did some awesome work (IMO!), but Galvatron calmly blasting Screamer to ashes is just, wel... Everything 1986 should be.
Image
Latest TF: AOE Leader Optimus Prime, AOE Crosshairs & G1 Siren
User avatar
RhA
City Commander
Posts: 3926
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Underwhere
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby Jaw Crusher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Eh, I find both versions to be about the same in overall quality, even if in different regards. It's hard for me to decide.
I got yer new Captain America right here!
Image

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jaw Crusher
Brainmaster
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 1:14 pm
Location: Shelby, IA USA

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
Overall, G1 is better. The 2007 movie is far superior to the 1986 movie. The 1986 movie is a series of barely-connected scenes that make little sense, with some parts downright mystifying, bizarre and just plain stupid. Not to mention half the running time was, "Autobots run away!"

The 2007 movie was more coherent, with Autobots who actually fought back against the Decepticons! Seriously, Bumblebee probably kicked more aft by himself than the entire 1986 cast barring Prime's charge!
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 pm

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Overall, G1 is better. The 2007 movie is far superior to the 1986 movie. The 1986 movie is a series of barely-connected scenes that make little sense, with some parts downright mystifying, bizarre and just plain stupid. Not to mention half the running time was, "Autobots run away!"

The 2007 movie was more coherent, with Autobots who actually fought back against the Decepticons! Seriously, Bumblebee probably kicked more aft by himself than the entire 1986 cast barring Prime's charge!


I agree with your little quip about the Autobots seeming to be in a perpetual state of retreating. It didn't always make the most sense in the tactical sense; I suppose you have to look at it like this: It being a movie, the premise is trying to stray away from the "same old places, same old faces" found in the regular series. i.e. Unicron is a galaxy spanning threat, the Autobots are retreating so we can be introduced to the Quintessons, the Junkions, etc.

What parts did you find mystifying, bizarre, or just plain stupid though? And you can't say Wheelie! ;)
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby goldwreck » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Weapon: Photon Pistol
I grew up with the cartoon so I enjoy it, but I also enjoy the live action movies. both incarnations have their flaws. As long as it transformers I love it.!
User avatar
goldwreck
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 8

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
plates wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Overall, G1 is better. The 2007 movie is far superior to the 1986 movie. The 1986 movie is a series of barely-connected scenes that make little sense, with some parts downright mystifying, bizarre and just plain stupid. Not to mention half the running time was, "Autobots run away!"

The 2007 movie was more coherent, with Autobots who actually fought back against the Decepticons! Seriously, Bumblebee probably kicked more aft by himself than the entire 1986 cast barring Prime's charge!


I agree with your little quip about the Autobots seeming to be in a perpetual state of retreating. It didn't always make the most sense in the tactical sense; I suppose you have to look at it like this: It being a movie, the premise is trying to stray away from the "same old places, same old faces" found in the regular series. i.e. Unicron is a galaxy spanning threat, the Autobots are retreating so we can be introduced to the Quintessons, the Junkions, etc.

What parts did you find mystifying, bizarre, or just plain stupid though? And you can't say Wheelie! ;)


Oh, I don't need to say Wheelie. I can say him, but I don't need to.

Basically, everything from the Autobots leaving the City to Unicron-hell, Unicron himself is bizarre and mystifying, as he suddenly appears with no explanation or foreshadowing in the show and BAM! He eats a planet. Then goes to threaten Cybertron. While being afraid of the Matrix... for some reason. Which also shows up out of the blue.

Also, the Planet of Junk, that stupid musical number and Quintessa.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
The new movies because they look cooler. Oh, and the score sounds cooler too.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3939
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 am

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
plates wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Overall, G1 is better. The 2007 movie is far superior to the 1986 movie. The 1986 movie is a series of barely-connected scenes that make little sense, with some parts downright mystifying, bizarre and just plain stupid. Not to mention half the running time was, "Autobots run away!"

The 2007 movie was more coherent, with Autobots who actually fought back against the Decepticons! Seriously, Bumblebee probably kicked more aft by himself than the entire 1986 cast barring Prime's charge!


I agree with your little quip about the Autobots seeming to be in a perpetual state of retreating. It didn't always make the most sense in the tactical sense; I suppose you have to look at it like this: It being a movie, the premise is trying to stray away from the "same old places, same old faces" found in the regular series. i.e. Unicron is a galaxy spanning threat, the Autobots are retreating so we can be introduced to the Quintessons, the Junkions, etc.

What parts did you find mystifying, bizarre, or just plain stupid though? And you can't say Wheelie! ;)


Oh, I don't need to say Wheelie. I can say him, but I don't need to.

Basically, everything from the Autobots leaving the City to Unicron-hell, Unicron himself is bizarre and mystifying, as he suddenly appears with no explanation or foreshadowing in the show and BAM! He eats a planet. Then goes to threaten Cybertron. While being afraid of the Matrix... for some reason. Which also shows up out of the blue.

Also, the Planet of Junk, that stupid musical number and Quintessa.


Oh the Matrix is definitely a MacGuffin. But at least they explain that it is passed down from leader to leader. Unicron, although a very imposing and visually intimidating villain could have used a bit more backstory in the movie, I agree. Like when Galvatron first tried to open the Matrix against him... that would have been a perfect time for some exposition. "You dare try to open the Matrix against me... I sent your God into hiding!"
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby Cyber Bishop » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
I liked the Bay movies but will always prefer the 86 movie.

Two of my reasons
The 86 movie was about the ROBOTS.. Very little human involvement other than Daniel and Spike's small part.
80's nostalgia (it has been mentioned before.. nuff said)
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop

501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison GWL
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18557
News Credits: 11
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 am

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
Well, I don't mind humans in Transformers. Actually, some of my favorite scenes/moments are the Transformers interacting with humans. And the 2007 humans, for the most part, I loved. I really did.

As for nostalgia, I saw the '86 movie in theaters. I remember it fondly. But I won't let nostalgia filters blind me to its flaws.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby plates » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:27 am

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, I don't mind humans in Transformers. Actually, some of my favorite scenes/moments are the Transformers interacting with humans. And the 2007 humans, for the most part, I loved. I really did.

As for nostalgia, I saw the '86 movie in theaters. I remember it fondly. But I won't let nostalgia filters blind me to its flaws.


It's cool to see the Transformers interacting with the humans but the problem manifests itself through the egregious amounts of exposure to the human cast, especially when it's just used for cheap toilet humor or [insert latest military official here] bickering with Optimus Prime and not much else.
In this edition of Adventures in Poor Taste: The Great Transformers Debate Parts 1-3! Click the picture to begin.

Image
plates
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby zenosaurus_x » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Weapon: Electron-Scimitars
Hm, well I have to say the movies because they are what got me into TransFormers in the first place.
Though I was always a little bit of a fan (literally, as I was what...2? When Beast Wars came out), and throughout my growing up, the Unicron Trilogy Toys always interested me. The movies were what got me to actually research and get into the franchise though.

Plus at the time (and still) my favorite series was Bionicle, and what with the argument that Movie guys look like Bionicles, I preferred the Movie look to G1 as well.
User avatar
zenosaurus_x
Headmaster
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:21 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 4
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10+

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby StarSaber2000 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Just like Zenosaurus I got into Transformers from the movie. I don't know if I would say it's better though. Thats a hard question. The movies are better then the 86 movie that's for sure. I mean I like the 86 movie but the middle half of the movie isn't that great IMO. The G1 characters are better but I prefer he movie designs.
User avatar
StarSaber2000
Mini-Con
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am
Watch StarSaber2000 on YouTube

Re: G1 Transformers vs Movie: Which Do You Like Better?

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
plates wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, I don't mind humans in Transformers. Actually, some of my favorite scenes/moments are the Transformers interacting with humans. And the 2007 humans, for the most part, I loved. I really did.

As for nostalgia, I saw the '86 movie in theaters. I remember it fondly. But I won't let nostalgia filters blind me to its flaws.


It's cool to see the Transformers interacting with the humans but the problem manifests itself through the egregious amounts of exposure to the human cast, especially when it's just used for cheap toilet humor or [insert latest military official here] bickering with Optimus Prime and not much else.

Well, for the 2007 movie it simply wasn't possible to include more Transformers. Budget, and the fact this was a huge gamble. The movie could've tanked.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3242
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6


Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014