Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Post your reviews of Transformers toys in this topic. Please keep each topic dedicated to one specific toy (i.e. DOTM Deluxe Class Optimus Prime"). Videos can be posted in a topic as well as text reviews and images.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak, Seibertron

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Burn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:18 pm

GetRightRobot wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
GetRightRobot wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:Still, there were a lot of new molds that barely saw release anywhere. I don't know how many figures I had to Ebay just because I couldn't find them in stores or in online stores. If that carried through for all their toy lines, that had to be money invested with hardly any return.


Agreed. Certainly poor distribution, and I don't think any collector would ATTEMPT to argue that. But, considering this is Hasbro, I doubt VERY much we won't see those toys reused or re-purposed. Also, remember that DOTM hit $1.125 BILLION in box office sales. I'm certain the toys and related merch added greatly to that. One thing in Hasbro's portfolio of products that IS making money, is Transformers.


Okay, so then why were they handled so badly in 2011 and the beginning of this year? My guess is they are slowly trying to move away from toys. We've heard more about shows, movies, multimedia anything, rather than toys.

Apparently Prime is costing them a lot more to produce than they first thought.

Whoever's in charge of planning, needs their head checked and a reeducation in business. I know next to nothing about business, but I know this:

1.) Don't start down one path (First Edition), spend loads of money firing up molds, and then change lanes and go with another that's delivering less quality and less of what people want (PRID).

2.) Don't make a network for your core audience (kids) that's utilized to sell your products, when it's largely inaccessible to the core audience.

3.) Don't align yourself with people who could damage your reputation. (FunPub)

4.) Don't make products you've promised to countries, only to say "Oh, these were never meant for you." (First Edition and Movie Trilogy)

1a.) The costs of producing those molds, firing up the production line and then switching to another set of molds seems wasteful and quite frankly, STUPID. If you had no intention of going with product A, why even produce it? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have them, but why start something you never intended to finish? Ridiculous.

And before anyone says "Well, the First Editions are aimed toward catering to adult collectors and show accuracy enthusiasts", that doesn't fly for me. Why would an American company produce items for their collector base that have to be imported from a foreign country (or countries)? That seems ridiculous and senseless to me. Regardless if it's Hasbro China or Hasbro Australia, or whatever...it all ends up being the debts of, and resting on the shoulders of, Hasbro America. Simply put: Bad planning that makes not a lick of sense.

2a.) The Hub is on the most expensive tier of cable and satellite systems. Most adults, especially those with families, can't afford such an expenditure. Hell, most adults simply WON'T pay for such a thing. Kids? Impossible.

So, why make a network aimed at kids and familes...that most will never see? I'm sure some haven't even heard of it! I'd bet money that some of The Hub's audience comes from people who are on special packages that have a reduced rate for the first year, to entice you to become a consumer.

When that reduced rate ends after the first year and prices skyrocket back to their original, expensive rates...how many customers jump ship on that tier and head back to (medium) digital cable or basic? I'll bet you the number's a lot higher than we're led to believe.

The ratings for Prime sound pretty good at .5 million, especially for a premium cable channel. But they could be ridiculously better if they were on a tier that EVERYONE has access to. I mean, seriously, how much money would they lose if they put it at a lower price? I mean, Discovery's kickin' in some of the dough, so the burden isn't all on Hasbro's shoulders.

I can't figure out which is more ridiculous to me...First Edition flub up, or making a channel for kids...that most will never see. How can you sell a product that no one knows about? How can you sell kids on the idea of their favorite characters if they can't see what they're doing in their latest adventure?

3a.) FunPub's continual flub ups are widely known among the fandom, but now that we know that FunPub's inaction led to fraud and identity theft and will make waves and ripples elsewhere, which could make it to the general public...I'd imagine that could be damaging for Hasbro.

"So...let me get this straight. They had no protection for their customers and the people got ripped off and had their personal information stolen?"

Yep.

"They make special runs of your toys, aimed at collectors with premium pricing and it works out to be substandard product with no premiums given?"

Yep.

"And you advertise these people on EVERY TransFormers toy you produce??"

Yep.

"WHY?!?"

Um. It's good business? Like...man, it's worked for years? Um...they pay for a license and we like, make money off of it?

"But you tell us that collectors are rather unimportant to your bottom line numbers, that children are your main focus."

Right.

"So...you're collecting the money, throwing the fans a bone or two when you can and go on about your business not giving a damn?"

BINGO!

"Piss off."

Word of mouth is a powerful tool. Hasbro needs to remember that when things like this happen. Plus, parents have far more control on their spending than their numbers and statistics would have them believe. I can see plenty of soapbox parents standing on principle and boycotting Hasbro. Toys are made for both the movieverse and Prime, neither of which are exactly family friendly. They're more for certain ages and differently developed kids, rather than for all. Yet, parents are expected to buy these things and they're aimed at kids, when they shouldn't be, because it could expose them to questionable content.

Kids don't need to see Sam running around with a stripper girlfriend. Kids don't need to hear their heroes swear. Kids don't need to see people vaporized and broken and grieving families laying in the streets crying because their city and their loved ones died right before their eyes.

That's scary stuff. That's for a different audience. That's for US. Yet it's all marketed towards kids. That ain't right for them, or for us, and I can see parents putting their foot down and saying "No. No more."

You throw in identity theft, false credit charges, and some upright citizen's going to BITCH. And it'll hit one person's ear, then another, and so on. Is that the likely outcome? Probably not, no. They probably won't feel the effects of this. However, it is possible, and it might surprise you to see it happen.

2011 was one of Hasbro's worst years, it's affecting their 2012 year. 2012 has already had a rocky start on it's own. Because of 2011, people are losing their jobs, they're redirecting their focus, and they're making promises they aren't keeping.

If I had stock in Hasbro right now, I'd get rid of it. I'd want nothing to do with them, with all that's going on. They need to remember that there are people out there who will stand up and say "No more".

Firing people to save money because Hasbro, as a whole, screwed up...just isn't right. If you can't stay afloat after a billion dollar movie, plus toy sales, then you just aren't doing something right. And then the fiasco with FunPub and before that, toy cancellations... Yet more missteps in a really bad economy.

Toys shouldn't be costing people their jobs. Hasbro needs restructuring. It needs people with common sense, not greed. Greed will only make you so much money for so much time. Common sense goes a long way. It pays off small in the beginning, but reaps huge rewards later on.


I just wanted to have the longest post in this thread! :lol:


Whislt you are the newest member to the staff, you must learn young padawan that size, does not matter. :wink:
P.S. Mine's longer ner ner ner
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37703
News Credits: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Rated X » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
bvzxa wrote:
Rated X wrote:Get rid of the guy behind the desk that insists Bumblebee is the answer to life...


:APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:




In G1, Bumblebee only got one toy and we never saw him in the stores again until he became Goldbug. Why couldn’t they keep it that way ???

Some might argue that it’s the mystique of a young boy and his car. I disagree.

4 years of this:

Image

And we got one Bumblebee and one Goldbug which was plenty.

Image

5 years of this:

Image

Plus 1 years of this:

Image

And then we get this:

Image

Is there something I am missing about Bumblebee that the younger generation finds so intriguing ???
Image

"I guess being replaced by Mania King isn't so bad after all"

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5112
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby combiner711 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 am

Motto: ""I have gone through the past, have planned the future and living the present""
GetRightRobot wrote:
omega666 wrote:Hopefully they cut the guy that said "MORE Bumblebees!" and "We should cancel the DOTM and the FE's".



:lol: I'm not laughing at Americans (or our Canadian Cousins) losing their jobs, but that was funny! :lol:


Right on the button!.. With that number of job cuts, those guys who fail to deliver their suggestions like the ones posted above are surely out of hasbro's door! :lol:
Image
combiner711
Minibot
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:06 pm
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby tyranus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 am

what frustrates me so much, is the endless cycle, these big companies are creating.
.
sales not as high as they would like.
cut jobs.
cut jobs, mean people who lost their jobs, now don't have money TO spend.
less money moving around=weak economy
weak economy, means companies don't make the sales they would like.
rinse and repeat
every time, people get laid off, the economy gets worse.
these mega companies are just making things even worse, by cutting back, the wrong way.
eliminate all those fancy company cars, private jets, expensive dinners and parties.
that will cut cost, yet not effect your buisness.
ground level workers, like those companies lay off first, buy toys the bulk of your toys, braniacs :BANG_HEAD:
tyranus
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Autobot032 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
freetouch wrote:lol... you just don't get it.


lol... I do get it.
lol... Don't post unless you have something of worth to offer to the conversation. (You don't.)
lol... Don't troll.
lol...
lol...
lol...
lol...
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8459
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Burn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 am

Rated X wrote:Is there something I am missing about Bumblebee that the younger generation finds so intriguing ???


Well yeah, they love him. He's the central character. Got any young kids of your own or even nephews/nieces? Have some, you may not understand what it is, but you'll see it in action.

Autobot032 wrote:
freetouch wrote:lol... you just don't get it.


lol... I do get it.
lol... Don't post unless you have something of worth to offer to the conversation. (You don't.)
lol... Don't troll.
lol...
lol...
lol...
lol...


And this is where i'm knocking things on the head before they spiral out of control.

Knock it off now.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37703
News Credits: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Kegor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 am

Bumblebee and OP are always going to be over-produced because of the focus group studies generally consist of only the intended age groups, (who seemingly prefer BB, probably because he goes "beep-boop") or their parents/guardians, (who aren't generally collectors and have no clue which one is which, they just remember which one their kids kept yammering on about).

Collectors and fans get no say about it; which is kinda dumb, considering the shear amount money people like Fansproject and TFC are currently rolling around naked in. :lol:
Kegor
Mini-Con
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 am

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby alldarker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:49 am

Motto: "Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
Weapon: Vibro-Force Gun
Seems logical: all those bonuses for the Hasbro Board of Directors aren't paying for themselves, people!
:HEADHURTS:
But seriously, although most toy producers will suffer in a time of economic uncertainty (unless you are Lego), Hasbro have themselves to blame. Although Transformers seem to still be one of the strongest sellers for Hasbro, the lack of new products / frankly TERRIBLE distribution of products will probably be comparable for all the other brands and products Hasbro are pushing.

It's been said before, but here in Europe, Hasbro seems fast to be losing ground as far as their product availability is concerned: very few of their brands can be found in toys stores here in any large amounts. Here in Europe, besides the 'single brand products' like Lego and Playmobile, Mattel has a much stronger multi-brand presence, as do Disney Consumer Products and lots of cheap Chinese produced no-name toys.

If I ran Hasbro, I'd most definitely be very disturbed at Hasbro's problematic distribution. It's all fine and good to focus on the US market, but when that market currently isn't very strong in the first place AND terrible mistakes are made on that single market (many of which have been mentioned in the previous posts in this topic), then Hasbro is just heading for disaster with their eyes wide open...

BTW... what is this topic doing in the Transformers Toy Review Forum?
I'm so meta, even this acronym...
User avatar
alldarker
Brainmaster
Posts: 1412
News Credits: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: Headquarters
Buy from alldarker on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Rated X » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Burn wrote:
Rated X wrote:Is there something I am missing about Bumblebee that the younger generation finds so intriguing ???


And this is where i'm knWell yeah, they love him. He's the central character. Got any young kids of your own or even nephews/nieces? Have some, you may not understand what it is, but you'll see it in action.

In my opinion that’s Michael Bays take on Bumblebee. His role has not changed in 28 years. Spike, Buster, Sam, Raf, etc. It really doesn’t matter who they pair him up with. It’s always been the same image for Bumblebee. But in the 80’s they didn’t promote the crap out of that image or his bond with a human boy. Bumblebee wasn’t even cool back in 1984, he was one step away from being Wheelie. Kids favorites were Optimus, Megatron, and Jazz.
Image

"I guess being replaced by Mania King isn't so bad after all"

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5112
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Vicalliose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
Hasbro sells more Bumblebees because that's all they put on the shelf. :lol:

I don't know, I can only assume that if it is true that BB sells the best no matter what, that children have to be pretty ****** if they like army building their Bumblebees. Again, I was a kid once, yeah I was different, but back then I would have considered this stupid.

The problem is it just keeps getting worse. Three Bumblebees to a case of eight deluxes? They are going to shelf warm, we know this, and it shows that Hasbro is doing something wrong regardless of what their data says.
Image
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
User avatar
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: You already know that.
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby GetRightRobot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Motto: "Surf in the Summer, Collect in the Winter."
Weapon: Neptune Sword
Vicalliose wrote:Hasbro sells more Bumblebees because that's all they put on the shelf. :lol:

I don't know, I can only assume that if it is true that BB sells the best no matter what, that children have to be pretty ****** if they like army building their Bumblebees. Again, I was a kid once, yeah I was different, but back then I would have considered this stupid.

The problem is it just keeps getting worse. Three Bumblebees to a case of eight deluxes? They are going to shelf warm, we know this, and it shows that Hasbro is doing something wrong regardless of what their data says.


I know this is getting a little off topic, but the reason I hate multitudes of BB on the shelves, is that the stores are reluctant to order more or put stock on the shelf. A wall of Bumblebees to a Walmart employ = stocked shelf, move on.
User avatar
GetRightRobot
News Staff
Posts: 1701
News Credits: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: MB SC!!!
Watch GetRightRobot on YouTube
Buy from GetRightRobot on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Vicalliose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
GetRightRobot wrote:I know this is getting a little off topic, but the reason I hate multitudes of BB on the shelves, is that the stores are reluctant to order more or put stock on the shelf. A wall of Bumblebees to a Walmart employ = stocked shelf, move on.

Actually pretty logical considering that the cases they order will just be full of more Bumblebees.
Image
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
User avatar
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: You already know that.
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby GetRightRobot » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Motto: "Surf in the Summer, Collect in the Winter."
Weapon: Neptune Sword
Vicalliose wrote:
GetRightRobot wrote:I know this is getting a little off topic, but the reason I hate multitudes of BB on the shelves, is that the stores are reluctant to order more or put stock on the shelf. A wall of Bumblebees to a Walmart employ = stocked shelf, move on.

Actually pretty logical considering that the cases they order will just be full of more Bumblebees.



Well played. :APPLAUSE:
User avatar
GetRightRobot
News Staff
Posts: 1701
News Credits: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:54 pm
Location: MB SC!!!
Watch GetRightRobot on YouTube
Buy from GetRightRobot on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Vicalliose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Motto: "Focus on one thing at a time? Are you crazy!? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM!!!"
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Sonic Boomer Gun
Autobot032 wrote: 2a.) The Hub is on the most expensive tier of cable and satellite systems. Most adults, especially those with families, can't afford such an expenditure. Hell, most adults simply WON'T pay for such a thing. Kids? Impossible.

So, why make a network aimed at kids and familes...that most will never see? I'm sure some haven't even heard of it! I'd bet money that some of The Hub's audience comes from people who are on special packages that have a reduced rate for the first year, to entice you to become a consumer.

When that reduced rate ends after the first year and prices skyrocket back to their original, expensive rates...how many customers jump ship on that tier and head back to (medium) digital cable or basic? I'll bet you the number's a lot higher than we're led to believe.

The ratings for Prime sound pretty good at .5 million, especially for a premium cable channel. But they could be ridiculously better if they were on a tier that EVERYONE has access to. I mean, seriously, how much money would they lose if they put it at a lower price? I mean, Discovery's kickin' in some of the dough, so the burden isn't all on Hasbro's shoulders.
This reminds me. I should probably cancel my Mediacom this year. Any fellow Iowans reading? I'm trying to figure between Dish Network and Direct TV, also which internet/phone provider to go through.

Yes I realize how off topic I'm getting. But who needs to repeat the obvious? The American economy is in the toilet, we need to stop getting into so many wars, we need to stop giving tax breaks to companies for producing in China, etcetera. It's just a big clusterf**k. Also Hasblow sucks.
Image
"Government, even in it's best state, is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state, an intolerable one." -Thomas Paine
User avatar
Vicalliose
Targetmaster
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: You already know that.
Watch Vicalliose on YouTube
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Re: Hasbro Annouces Job Cuts in US and Canada

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Vicalliose wrote:Hasbro sells more Bumblebees because that's all they put on the shelf. :lol:

I don't know, I can only assume that if it is true that BB sells the best no matter what, that children have to be pretty ****** if they like army building their Bumblebees. Again, I was a kid once, yeah I was different, but back then I would have considered this stupid.

The problem is it just keeps getting worse. Three Bumblebees to a case of eight deluxes? They are going to shelf warm, we know this, and it shows that Hasbro is doing something wrong regardless of what their data says.

It's already happening with Prime. I went to TRU today and there were 7 Bumblebees, 1 Wheeljack, and 1 Cliffjumper.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Previous

Return to Transformers Toy Reviews

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014