Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak, Seibertron, Counterpunch

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby shamone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:Atary77, I agree with your original post 100%.

SlyTF1 wrote:Would people shut the hell up about Bay? All he did was freaking make a movie! I read comments all the time saying "Damn you Michael Bay" or "Michael bay you ass!" when all he did was make a movie. Is it really that important for people to damn someone to hell who simply made a movie? Just the sheet amount of hatred directed to him for putting pictures on a projector is freaking ridiculous.


Where this is concerned, it's not the fact that he made a movie that pisses me off, it's that me made incredibly bad movies, and in the process turned a franchise I loved into a franchise I'm ashamed to be a fan of. He made movies that made me hate the idea of any live-action Transformers movies ever being made again, even if they were to reboot the series. These worthless piles of shit are what Transformers is now known to be, and if you admit ti being a fan to anyone who isn't a fan, this is what they think you like. That is why I am pissed off about these movies.


Well get over it. Because the majority of the people like the movies.



yeh man, its popular so its doesnt matter uf you dont like it, its what other people think
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
shamone wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:Atary77, I agree with your original post 100%.

SlyTF1 wrote:Would people shut the hell up about Bay? All he did was freaking make a movie! I read comments all the time saying "Damn you Michael Bay" or "Michael bay you ass!" when all he did was make a movie. Is it really that important for people to damn someone to hell who simply made a movie? Just the sheet amount of hatred directed to him for putting pictures on a projector is freaking ridiculous.


Where this is concerned, it's not the fact that he made a movie that pisses me off, it's that me made incredibly bad movies, and in the process turned a franchise I loved into a franchise I'm ashamed to be a fan of. He made movies that made me hate the idea of any live-action Transformers movies ever being made again, even if they were to reboot the series. These worthless piles of shit are what Transformers is now known to be, and if you admit ti being a fan to anyone who isn't a fan, this is what they think you like. That is why I am pissed off about these movies.


Well get over it. Because the majority of the people like the movies.



yeh man, its popular so its doesnt matter uf you dont like it, its what other people think


Pretty much.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3723
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 am

SlyTF1 wrote:Well get over it. Because the majority of the people like the movies.


No, because in my experience, the majority is usually wrong.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby shamone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:35 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
shamone wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Master Renegade wrote:Atary77, I agree with your original post 100%.

SlyTF1 wrote:Would people shut the hell up about Bay? All he did was freaking make a movie! I read comments all the time saying "Damn you Michael Bay" or "Michael bay you ass!" when all he did was make a movie. Is it really that important for people to damn someone to hell who simply made a movie? Just the sheet amount of hatred directed to him for putting pictures on a projector is freaking ridiculous.


Where this is concerned, it's not the fact that he made a movie that pisses me off, it's that me made incredibly bad movies, and in the process turned a franchise I loved into a franchise I'm ashamed to be a fan of. He made movies that made me hate the idea of any live-action Transformers movies ever being made again, even if they were to reboot the series. These worthless piles of shit are what Transformers is now known to be, and if you admit ti being a fan to anyone who isn't a fan, this is what they think you like. That is why I am pissed off about these movies.


Well get over it. Because the majority of the people like the movies.



yeh man, its popular so its doesnt matter uf you dont like it, its what other people think


Pretty much.


yeh personal choice and critical judgment should always be trumped by popularity
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Motto: "The price for peace is war."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
"It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one's head and succumb."
-Gabriel Angelos, Captain of the Blood Ravens 3rd Company

It helps people when they have someone to blame when something terrible happens to them, I don't blame them, though it helps to point fingers at the whole problem rather than one facet. Bay may have been the linchpin of this whole debacle, however there are many more people who's at fault, even or especially Hasbro. Despite this, it is still more constructive to give a well written and well thought review of the films rather than personal attacks.

Same goes for the other end of the spectrum, you only hurt your cause by sucking Bay's metaphorical ****. Trying to make someone else's opinion sound wrong rather than different makes you sound pretentious. Give your reasons why you liked the movies and leave it there, be the better man by not fighting a pointless argument.

As for me, I didn't like the movies. I enjoyed watching the TFs duking it out when it was reasonable (OP cutting a swathe of ultimate destruction does not count) and when they actually got dialogue to themselves, but nothing else. They did not focus on the whole "Transformers" aspect of Transformers and that's why it failed in my eyes. Oh well, at least I still have you, Aligned Continuity.
User avatar
Firebrand
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby OptiMagnus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Motto: ""Close your mouth and open your mind.""
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Master Renegade wrote:Atary77, I agree with your original post 100%.

SlyTF1 wrote:Would people shut the hell up about Bay? All he did was freaking make a movie! I read comments all the time saying "Damn you Michael Bay" or "Michael bay you ass!" when all he did was make a movie. Is it really that important for people to damn someone to hell who simply made a movie? Just the sheet amount of hatred directed to him for putting pictures on a projector is freaking ridiculous.


Where this is concerned, it's not the fact that he made a movie that pisses me off, it's that me made incredibly bad movies, and in the process turned a franchise I loved into a franchise I'm ashamed to be a fan of. He made movies that made me hate the idea of any live-action Transformers movies ever being made again, even if they were to reboot the series. These worthless piles of shit are what Transformers is now known to be, and if you admit ti being a fan to anyone who isn't a fan, this is what they think you like. That is why I am pissed off about these movies.

So, are you saying that I should go beat myself up for being a fan of worthless piles of s**t, then go yelling to my family and friends that they're fans of worthless s**t and should be ashamed of themsleves and that people have negative impressions of them because they told them they like the Transformers movies? So basically, if I tell someone I'm a Transformers fan, they'll think: "Oh my, he likes those incredibly bad movies. He must have bad moral values."
Please note: If you think I may be joking, I probably am.
User avatar
OptiMagnus
Gestalt
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Watch OptiMagnus on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 6

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Marcdachamp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Decepticon_Vandal wrote:"It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one's head and succumb."
-Gabriel Angelos, Captain of the Blood Ravens 3rd Company

It helps people when they have someone to blame when something terrible happens to them, I don't blame them, though it helps to point fingers at the whole problem rather than one facet. Bay may have been the linchpin of this whole debacle, however there are many more people who's at fault, even or especially Hasbro. Despite this, it is still more constructive to give a well written and well thought review of the films rather than personal attacks.

Same goes for the other end of the spectrum, you only hurt your cause by sucking Bay's metaphorical ****. Trying to make someone else's opinion sound wrong rather than different makes you sound pretentious. Give your reasons why you liked the movies and leave it there, be the better man by not fighting a pointless argument.

As for me, I didn't like the movies. I enjoyed watching the TFs duking it out when it was reasonable (OP cutting a swathe of ultimate destruction does not count) and when they actually got dialogue to themselves, but nothing else. They did not focus on the whole "Transformers" aspect of Transformers and that's why it failed in my eyes. Oh well, at least I still have you, Aligned Continuity.


The issue here is that, rather than bash the films, a lot of people bash the fans of them.
Check out my webcomic, Kid Robo, every Monday at http://www.grayhavencomics.comImage
Marcdachamp
Pretender
Posts: 734
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby JeffX » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.
JeffX
Micromaster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:48 pm

OptiMagnus wrote:So, are you saying that I should go beat myself up for being a fan of worthless piles of s**t, then go yelling to my family and friends that they're fans of worthless s**t and should be ashamed of themsleves and that people have negative impressions of them because they told them they like the Transformers movies? So basically, if I tell someone I'm a Transformers fan, they'll think: "Oh my, he likes those incredibly bad movies. He must have bad moral values."


If that's what you're reading into my comments, then you either need to brush up on your reading skills and look again, or see if your defective brain is under warranty and able to be replaced. I never said nor implied anything about morality.

What I said, and what I meant, are EXACTLY what the words themselves say. Nothing more, nothing less.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby paul053 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:00 pm

This thread still open? Nice. :APPLAUSE:

I've been trying to think how Mikaely could fit in with Carly. Sure, she moved to DC and lived with Sam after ROTF. Then turned out her career is going better than Sam's. Then dumped Sam to mate with Mr. Appropriate and then rescued by Sam in Chicago and then talked to Megatron to make him shoot at Sentinel. Then Bee's gear rings dropped. Only a little tweak these female characters are easily re-writable. So they are really NOT important. Rosie does make people feel a little bit of loosing chemistry between She and Shia but again, this all doesn't matter IMO.

If the critics or any body never brought up the racist thing, would people ever think of it when watching the movies? Even up until now I've watched the previous two movies numerous times, I always think they are just bad jokes. I'm in different color than white myself and I don't feel offend when Keiko asking "which bag?" and Ken jerking his tongue and head. Think about this, you all know who the two major big stars in one of Bay's hit Bad Boys are.

How many new fans has these three movies created than loosing the old? If the new is greater, Bay already did what Hasbro want.
User avatar
paul053
Brainmaster
Posts: 1430
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:02 am
Location: Plymouth, MN
Buy from paul053 on eBay

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Motto: "The price for peace is war."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.
User avatar
Firebrand
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3723
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Burn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Master Renegade wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:Well get over it. Because the majority of the people like the movies.


No, because in my experience, the majority is usually wrong.


No, they just have an opinion different to yours. That doesn't make them wrong, nor does it make your opinion wrong.

Master Renegade wrote:If that's what you're reading into my comments, then you either need to brush up on your reading skills and look again, or see if your defective brain is under warranty and able to be replaced. I never said nor implied anything about morality.


Un-necessary comment. I've already asked people in this thread to keep it civil because i'm sick and tired of this same old "discussion" degenerating into personal insults.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37720
News Credits: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby OptiMagnus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Motto: ""Close your mouth and open your mind.""
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Master Renegade wrote:
OptiMagnus wrote:So, are you saying that I should go beat myself up for being a fan of worthless piles of s**t, then go yelling to my family and friends that they're fans of worthless s**t and should be ashamed of themsleves and that people have negative impressions of them because they told them they like the Transformers movies? So basically, if I tell someone I'm a Transformers fan, they'll think: "Oh my, he likes those incredibly bad movies. He must have bad moral values."


If that's what you're reading into my comments, then you either need to brush up on your reading skills and look again, or see if your defective brain is under warranty and able to be replaced. I never said nor implied anything about morality.

What I said, and what I meant, are EXACTLY what the words themselves say. Nothing more, nothing less.

You imply that since these movies are bad, they define the franchise now and define what I enjoy as a Transformers fan, which you say is a bad thing. You say it's a franchise you're ashamed of now because you think people define you as a fan of these movies, which according to you, are bad, and all people who aren't "fans" think they're bad.
What I'm asking YOU is do you honestly think people will define me (and other TF fans) as a fan of incredibly bad worthless s**t because of these movies, and do you think I should be ashamed of myself for enjoying them? (The morality thing was just an exaggeration, I apologise.)
And yeah, the warranty expired on my defective brain. I called Brain Mart but they're out of the model I need. :P
Please note: If you think I may be joking, I probably am.
User avatar
OptiMagnus
Gestalt
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Watch OptiMagnus on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 6

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Master Renegade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 pm

OptiMagnus wrote:You imply that since these movies are bad, they define the franchise now and define what I enjoy as a Transformers fan, which you say is a bad thing. You say it's a franchise you're ashamed of now because you think people define you as a fan of these movies, which according to you, are bad, and all people who aren't "fans" think they're bad.
What I'm asking YOU is do you honestly think people will define me (and other TF fans) as a fan of incredibly bad worthless s**t because of these movies, and do you think I should be ashamed of myself for enjoying them?


To unnecessarily clarify, all anyone who's not a TF fan knows of Transformers anymore is these movies. I am ashamed to be considered a fan of Transformers now because of that. These movies would need a ton of improvement for me to consider them as simply bad, and I do not want to be associated with anything like that. Their opinion is of the movies irrelevant in that equation, only that they mistake me to be a fan of them simply because I several other incarnations of the franchise.

As for whether I believe you should be ashamed to like them: Yes, I do. I think everyone involved with them should be ashamed of making them, I think Hasbro should be ashamed of capitalizing on them, and theaters should be ashamed to show them. I think EVERYONE should be ashamed of having standards so low that they think these movies are good.

Don't, however, mistake that to mean that I expect you, or anyone else, will be ashamed. I've long ago quit expecting anyone to be ashamed of anything.
Master Renegade
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby JeffX » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


No, because people aren't going to see them that way. They will see them as giant robots or machines which they are. And while us Transformers fans have a connection most people will not feel the same way.
JeffX
Micromaster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Motto: "The price for peace is war."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
SlyTF1 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?


Its still feasible. Hell, if James Cameron can make all that CG in Avatar why can't another studio do an all Transformers movie?
User avatar
Firebrand
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby JetOptimus23 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Motto: "Dare to be Stupid"
Weapon: Torque Rifle
...Why are we still fighting? Look, these movies exist, they made Hasbro more money than in their wildest dreams, they kept making them. They weren't the best movies, but they are what they are; explosive action movies with mixed up stories. Some people like them, some people don't. Trust me when I say i've seen MUCH worse action movies. So lets all agree to hate Twilight... :D
Image
PSN Name Kezilla. I PWN U N00BS! I mean, have a nice day

Currently on a quest to collect as many Unicron Trilogy toys as possible...maybe even complete the collection...
User avatar
JetOptimus23
Godmaster
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:30 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Strength: 3
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Rank: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?


Its still feasible. Hell, if James Cameron can make all that CG in Avatar why can't another studio do an all Transformers movie?


It's partly due to how Spielberg operates these days as a producer. I remember either reading it in an interview or the TF1 DVD commentary where Bay recounts that Spielberg likes to limit the budget of the movies he produces to generate creativity in the directors, which is a very foolish thing to do for a movie that centers on CG robots, if you ask me.

Bay had all these ginormous ideas of transforming aircraft carriers and stuff [if I recall correctly], but the budget given by Spielberg was just not enough to realize even a fraction of his ideas.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2116
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Firebrand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Motto: "The price for peace is war."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?


Its still feasible. Hell, if James Cameron can make all that CG in Avatar why can't another studio do an all Transformers movie?


It's partly due to how Spielberg operates these days as a producer. I remember either reading it in an interview or the TF1 DVD commentary where Bay recounts that Spielberg likes to limit the budget of the movies he produces to generate creativity in the directors, which is a very foolish thing to do for a movie that centers on CG robots, if you ask me.

Bay had all these ginormous ideas of transforming aircraft carriers and stuff [if I recall correctly], but the budget given by Spielberg was just not enough to realize even a fraction of his ideas.


"Well that sounds like it sucks!"
-Ironhide (Heavy Metal Fight)
User avatar
Firebrand
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:09 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby twiztid_soundwave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Motto: ""Why do I keep seeing you in my dreams Optimus? Are you trying to tell me I'm not the leader you were? I already know that."---Rodimus"
Weapon: Rapid-Fire Energy Pulse Cannon
Well, I hope that I can give my opinion on here, and be respected for it. I do not dislike the movies, per se, I am a purist in most of the adaptations I see of properties I like, If you want an anal perspective, see my thoughts on Comic movies (As Im a bigger Comic fan than TF, which does NOT mean I don't know my TF)

I saw the 1986 movie when I was three, I own 3 different dvd versions of it, I own the entire G1 series on dvd, a bunch of TF toys, and pretty much feel that the 96 movie is my favorite movie of all time, since it was the first I ever saw, at 3 years old.

About the Bay films:

The obvious complaints:
Blatant sexism, lack of robots, too much emphasis on humans. And, a small detail, I hated that they didn't call Sam, Spike.

Could those movies be better, yes, and honestly, I had ALOT of venom until DOTM. But, much like the comic movies that Hollywood butchers, you have to take them as version in of of themselves, rather than a straight adaptation.

Im a G1'er, barely liking anything about the shows post G2, but I have learned to take from the shows/movies, that they are NOT g1, AND aren't trying to be. So you can enjoy them, or not. Its entirely up to you.

I refuse to care about the majority, They are NOT, the ones I converse with about properties, they to me, are just wallets spending money, allowing franchises to exist longer than the REAL fans can bankroll.

I take from the movies, what I like, and ignore the rest, even cringe at the horrid obvious bay-isms, BUT its hard to deny the coolness of seeing our childhood heroes in motion, Transforming without instructions, or our hands.

86 IS my movie, its the G1 movie, and I couldn't ask for a better one.
Image
twiztid_soundwave
Mini-Con
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am
Watch twiztid_soundwave on YouTube
Buy from twiztid_soundwave on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Atary77 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

I've been doing some thinking looking back on what I wrote and unlike when I was angry and wrote this in my original blog before I posted it here I took an honest look at what I wrote and also took in the opinions of all others here that posted and I came to a few conclusions that I think I can learn from all this.

1. I may have been harsh on these films and some of the reasons I cited. Most notably the racist stuff. I think even I must admit I was wrong about Skids and Mudflap. Just because they have gold teeth and talk the way they do dosen't make them racially insensitive however they are still very very annoying. As for Burnie Mack's character and the hacker guy I should give them a pass since not every african american has to be a positive male role model. As for mister Bay himself ,I went too far making some of the claims I did make of his personal character. I do still think he's rather arrogant and even childish with his sense of toilet humor. But he wasn't the only one responsible for that one as the two writers mentioned by others here are responsible as well. There's a place in other movies for that I just don't feel these movies were it.

2. Again the opinions I expressed were just that. Opinions that should be taken with a grain of salt. But even I can see that I took this too seriously than I should have at the time I wrote that original blog which wasn't long after the third film came out. No my childhood memories were not raped they were simply not represented properly. I still feel Bay and Spielberg both did not care enough about the Robot characters and that both of them shouldn't have worked on this. The same could possibly be said about Don Murphy but I could be wrong.

3. There are in fact good qualities to these films such as the effects of the robots and the fights between them. However I'm still disappointed there couldn't be more of them as I still feel the robots should've had priority over the human characters. However there was still a positive impact to these films. It got people talking about the characters again. I admit I smile knowing there are little kids who think of Optimus Prime as their hero now as I did when I was a kid.

4. The reason I let this get to me so much is because over the years I was hoping for what I had as my vision for these films and with the input given from you members here I can see that my vision probably wouldn't have appealed to a main stream audiance (that vision being a cross between Gen 1 and the recent comics). And this movie wasn't made for me, it was made for the general public that don't know anything about the characters or mythos. But as I mentioned above it still had a positive impact getting those who never heard of Transformers before to look into it all and become fans themselves.

In conclusion I can admit when I'm wrong and when I went overboard. Which I did. But I am glad to get the opinions and input that everyone contributed here even if some of them sounded insulting because honestly I can't blame anyone for wanting to accuse me of trolling or being ignorant etc. And perhaps I was ignorant. Made ignorant by strong emotions over reading too much into something that quite honestly, I shouldn't have let get to me.

I still don't think the movies are that great though as I still find myself bored whenever the robots are not on screen. Because that's what I want to see. That's who's dialog I wanna hear. That's who I wanna see fighting. Unfortunatly they got the back seat cause of the people in charge. I don't hate these movies, I just don't like them. But I won't judge those who do like them, infact more power to them. But that was opinion though, nothing more.

I will apologize to the moderators on this fine site though. You guys put up with a lot of ignorance and foolishness and you strive to make the community here civil. But like I said I wanted my opinions challenged. I wanted to see what those who had different opinions thought. And if people agreed with me that's still cool. But I realize now that I was hastey in my actions and the way I went about things.

Still that's my opinions though folks and honestly I enjoyed reading what others had to say here. Well the constructive stuff anyway.
Atary77
Mini-Con
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?


Its still feasible. Hell, if James Cameron can make all that CG in Avatar why can't another studio do an all Transformers movie?


It's partly due to how Spielberg operates these days as a producer. I remember either reading it in an interview or the TF1 DVD commentary where Bay recounts that Spielberg likes to limit the budget of the movies he produces to generate creativity in the directors, which is a very foolish thing to do for a movie that centers on CG robots, if you ask me.

Bay had all these ginormous ideas of transforming aircraft carriers and stuff [if I recall correctly], but the budget given by Spielberg was just not enough to realize even a fraction of his ideas.


So what? Spielberg's responsible? Damn.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3723
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby Atary77 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Decepticon_Vandal wrote:
JeffX wrote:Here's the thing. People want to watch a movie with some human involvement in it. As a Transformer fan I want to see more Transformers but I realize that they would not make a successful movie by doing that. Most of us love the original animated movie, but it didn't fare well in the theater. Nor would that same movie do well again in 2007.


But are the Cybertronians not anthropomorphic enough to be relatable? Honestly, with a good script it could have been successful with much less human involvement.


And you think all that CG would be cheap?


Its still feasible. Hell, if James Cameron can make all that CG in Avatar why can't another studio do an all Transformers movie?


It's partly due to how Spielberg operates these days as a producer. I remember either reading it in an interview or the TF1 DVD commentary where Bay recounts that Spielberg likes to limit the budget of the movies he produces to generate creativity in the directors, which is a very foolish thing to do for a movie that centers on CG robots, if you ask me.

Bay had all these ginormous ideas of transforming aircraft carriers and stuff [if I recall correctly], but the budget given by Spielberg was just not enough to realize even a fraction of his ideas.


So what? Spielberg's responsible? Damn.


From what you show here I would say yes
Atary77
Mini-Con
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Here's to you Micheal Bay (rant)

Postby twiztid_soundwave » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Motto: ""Why do I keep seeing you in my dreams Optimus? Are you trying to tell me I'm not the leader you were? I already know that."---Rodimus"
Weapon: Rapid-Fire Energy Pulse Cannon
Atary77 wrote:I've been doing some thinking looking back on what I wrote and unlike when I was angry and wrote this in my original blog before I posted it here I took an honest look at what I wrote and also took in the opinions of all others here that posted and I came to a few conclusions that I think I can learn from all this.

1. I may have been harsh on these films and some of the reasons I cited. Most notably the racist stuff. I think even I must admit I was wrong about Skids and Mudflap. Just because they have gold teeth and talk the way they do dosen't make them racially insensitive however they are still very very annoying. As for Burnie Mack's character and the hacker guy I should give them a pass since not every african american has to be a positive male role model. As for mister Bay himself ,I went too far making some of the claims I did make of his personal character. I do still think he's rather arrogant and even childish with his sense of toilet humor. But he wasn't the only one responsible for that one as the two writers mentioned by others here are responsible as well. There's a place in other movies for that I just don't feel these movies were it.

2. Again the opinions I expressed were just that. Opinions that should be taken with a grain of salt. But even I can see that I took this too seriously than I should have at the time I wrote that original blog which wasn't long after the third film came out. No my childhood memories were not raped they were simply not represented properly. I still feel Bay and Spielberg both did not care enough about the Robot characters and that both of them shouldn't have worked on this. The same could possibly be said about Don Murphy but I could be wrong.

3. There are in fact good qualities to these films such as the effects of the robots and the fights between them. However I'm still disappointed there couldn't be more of them as I still feel the robots should've had priority over the human characters. However there was still a positive impact to these films. It got people talking about the characters again. I admit I smile knowing there are little kids who think of Optimus Prime as their hero now as I did when I was a kid.

4. The reason I let this get to me so much is because over the years I was hoping for what I had as my vision for these films and with the input given from you members here I can see that my vision probably wouldn't have appealed to a main stream audiance (that vision being a cross between Gen 1 and the recent comics). And this movie wasn't made for me, it was made for the general public that don't know anything about the characters or mythos. But as I mentioned above it still had a positive impact getting those who never heard of Transformers before to look into it all and become fans themselves.

In conclusion I can admit when I'm wrong and when I went overboard. Which I did. But I am glad to get the opinions and input that everyone contributed here even if some of them sounded insulting because honestly I can't blame anyone for wanting to accuse me of trolling or being ignorant etc. And perhaps I was ignorant. Made ignorant by strong emotions over reading too much into something that quite honestly, I shouldn't have let get to me.

I still don't think the movies are that great though as I still find myself bored whenever the robots are not on screen. Because that's what I want to see. That's who's dialog I wanna hear. That's who I wanna see fighting. Unfortunatly they got the back seat cause of the people in charge. I don't hate these movies, I just don't like them. But I won't judge those who do like them, infact more power to them. But that was opinion though, nothing more.

I will apologize to the moderators on this fine site though. You guys put up with a lot of ignorance and foolishness and you strive to make the community here civil. But like I said I wanted my opinions challenged. I wanted to see what those who had different opinions thought. And if people agreed with me that's still cool. But I realize now that I was hastey in my actions and the way I went about things.

Still that's my opinions though folks and honestly I enjoyed reading what others had to say here. Well the constructive stuff anyway.


In my view, you have full right to complain as you did. And unless you flat out insulted anyone here on the site, you don't need to apologize for your own opinions.

I assume, you, like everyone else here, has spent your lifetime, childhood, and probrably ALOT of money on this franchise, and if anything, that buys you the right to complain, whether others agree, or not, thats NOT your responsibility.

Your being true to YOU, and as a fan, you do NOT have to just sit back and say ''At least we got a TF movie''

I myself share ALOT of the views you posted, and though I am leaning towards acceptance, I STILL dislike ALOT about those films. Period, and I will NOT change that view for acceptance on a forum, but I will, however respect other views to differ mine.

My point is, you don't have to apologize for your opinion, as long as it doesn't insult members.
Image
twiztid_soundwave
Mini-Con
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am
Watch twiztid_soundwave on YouTube
Buy from twiztid_soundwave on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014