The fiction however, is where things got (to put it politely) disturbing. The two story arcs that lay beneath its creepy exterior were genuinely kinda interesting and intriguing (once you got passed to gross stuff), but it's one of those series that is VERY hard to get into because just how hideous it appears at first glance (particularly the first story arc).
Therefore, suppose it were to be given a complete revamped overhaul to make it more PG-rated. No hentai, no innuendos, no pornographic imagery whatsoever. In order for something like this to work, what sort of specific changes would you see being done to make this less grotesque and more appealing?
Here's some of my thoughts:
- Like I said above, all risqué material would be gone for good. No porn, period.
- The name and gimmick of the series would have to be changed. No human-to-robot kissing, period. Therefore, the name would have to be different from "Kiss Players". But as for how the characters could retain some of the mystical aspects of this gimmick, just make all the girls Powermasters. Not Godmasters, but Powermasters.
- All the girls would be redrawn to look their proper age. Mid-to-late teen looks instead of underage looks.
- The Legion would all be redesigned to look safe for children, while still being scary-looking. No phallic tongues (or even no tongues whatsoever).
- Kiss Players Position would need less editing, but it too would need the same removal of unwanted material.
- Ringo would need a complete character overhaul. She's psycho. Make her into the annoying comic relief butt monkey. That's a much more dignified role than the sick twisted person she already is.
What else could be changed to make it PG-rated?