Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

ILM Versus Weta, who do you think does it better?

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
kjeevah wrote:
Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:to be fair though, maya is a hideous disaster of a train-wreck when it comes to usability and interface design!


Only if you're new to using it. The same can be said for any 3D modeling program though.


no, i'm a professional user-experience designer so i know all about interfaces and usability, and also i've used a variety of 3d programs, just trust me on this one


Huh. Me as well. Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Rhino3D, 3DSMax, Blender, Lightwave, Maya, SoftImage. etc etc etc. Granted I'm not insanely experience with many of those but I found Maya to at least be easier than 3DSMax. Granted it's interface still sucks compared to the first three or four I put on that list.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11044
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Dark Zarak wrote:No I'm not kidding. This is the depth of pop-culture hatred in universities and my age group in general. This is the depth of groupthink and low IQ of the masses that can happen when a group of normally intelligent people get together.

These people think that anything made for monetary gain is less artistic and therefore less interesting. Everything has to be deep and profound and challenging, and anything made for the masses is not worth their time.

Since CGI can accomplish so much more than a model or puppet, they feel it cheapens the production by lowering the artistic standards. The thrill is gone because it was just "whipped up on a computer" whereas a model or a puppet is actually the result of physical labor and effort, which is more meaningful than looking real.

But these people don't realize the amount of brain-numbing effort that goes into the construction of these things. Staring at Maya 8.0 for the first time is like staring at God.

Yes you can ruin a production by overdoing the CGI. It is much easier to create BIG things with it, and there are a lot of movies out there that are just fat and nothing else. Yes you can rush something and have it look dumb.

Some people just need something to hate.

...including me. :-P


While I don't share the sentiment, I think the anti-CGI backlash is to be expected considering the drift towards full greenscreen films and the way some directors have been sticking CGI everywhere like a blind man in an orgy. There are benefits and drawbacks to all special-effects techniques including CGI. CGI may look more real in some aspects than puppetry, animatronics, or suits, but in others it doesn't. When you need your human characters to make direct physical contact with it, for example.

I've seen Star Wars episodes 1-3 3 or 4 times each and, while admittedly impressive, they still look like Who Framed Roger Rabbit to me but in reverse, with humans in a high-tech ToonTown. There's this pop-out effect that never seems to go away. I think, if Lucas had integrated actual set pieces, models, animatronics, and costumes into the films they would have made the film more believable by helping to bridge the gap between the subtly unrealistic, over-polished green-screen effects. The first Jurassic Park used a mix of animatronics and puppetry along with CGI and even Pirates of the Caribbean uses real set pieces with CGI overlays for the Flying Dutchman.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby Nightracer GT » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
AbsumZer0 wrote:I think the anti-CGI backlash is to be expected considering the drift towards full greenscreen films and the way some directors have been sticking CGI everywhere like a blind man in an orgy. There are benefits and drawbacks to all special-effects techniques including CGI. CGI may look more real in some aspects than puppetry, animatronics, or suits, but in others it doesn't. When you need your human characters to make direct physical contact with it, for example.

I've seen Star Wars episodes 1-3 3 or 4 times each and, while admittedly impressive, they still look like Who Framed Roger Rabbit to me but in reverse, with humans in a high-tech ToonTown. There's this pop-out effect that never seems to go away. I think, if Lucas had integrated actual set pieces, models, animatronics, and costumes into the films they would have made the film more believable by helping to bridge the gap between the subtly unrealistic, over-polished green-screen effects. The first Jurassic Park used a mix of animatronics and puppetry along with CGI and even Pirates of the Caribbean uses real set pieces with CGI overlays for the Flying Dutchman.


The best stuff uses everything at its disposal, whatever works the best for what it's doing. Everyone loves the Mos Eisley Cantina scene. But nobody loves the aliens in the newer films.

The Spiderman movies spring readily to mind as excellent use of CG. At least the second one, but the first had it's moments.

Whenever it's an all green screen flick, I just sit back and soak in the artistic visuals they managed to create. Is there a better way of doing it? Maybe. Sin City needed them. Will 300 need them? Or could everything in that movie be accomplished just by editing real photo plates? At least it will look cool. It's a stylistic choice.


kjeevah wrote:
Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:to be fair though, maya is a hideous disaster of a train-wreck when it comes to usability and interface design!


Only if you're new to using it. The same can be said for any 3D modeling program though.


no, i'm a professional user-experience designer so i know all about interfaces and usability, and also i've used a variety of 3d programs, just trust me on this one


And I'm about to spend 70 grand to get a degree in it. :(

But it can do soooo much.
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
User avatar
Nightracer GT
Faction Commander
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby skywarp-2 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Glyph wrote:Overall, if we're talking about the entire package, I'd pick WETA. Why? Because their people really work to get inside the things they're designing and making. ILM have a tendency to spin out very similar-looking stuff over and again, presumably because they wrote the book on vehicle and robot FX and seem to rest on their laurels somewhat unless they have a project which really tests them. The recent final renders from the TF stuff, along with Blackout's pulse attack and general digital FX in the trailer, just *scream* ILM.

In pure FX terms, ILM obviously have far more experience with non-organic objects / creatures, while WETA built their reputation on scenery and creature effects. However, when making LotR, WETA had to make the kind of progress and break the kind of boundaries that ILM did when they first started out with Star Wars. Given the opportunity, I would trust WETA to push their capabilities and improve their effects work in order to tackle a huge sci-fi project, more than I would trust ILM to do the same.




Amen!!
Image
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56030
In the interests of keeping it clean, I will now only curse at you in Morse code: ..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- --- ..- that means "F-you!"
User avatar
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
Posts: 4177
News Credits: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 am

Postby kjeevah » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am

Dark Zarak wrote:
And I'm about to spend 70 grand to get a degree in it. :(

But it can do soooo much.


yes you are right its an amazing piece of software, they just need to hire some interface designers to work on it thats all.

also..

70 grand!??!?!!? are you **** kidding me?!?!?! oh my god you need to move out of that rubbish country. in england it costs £1.5k (ie about $2.5k) a year fixed fee, no matter what university you go to, and unless you are rich your local education authority pays that for you! so my interactive media degree (which included some maya) cost me a grand total of...

£0

like i said too that is a fixed fee no matter what university you are at

seriously come over here as a foreign student, even foreign students who get no government funding at all only have to pay £10k/term, whether you are at a shitty 70s block place or oxford or cambridge! so you can do your degree a the best place in the country for $50k and get to take trips all around europe while you are doing it, for $50 for a return flight each time!
kjeevah
Minibot
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Postby Nightracer GT » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:49 am

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
kjeevah wrote:seriously come over here as a foreign student, even foreign students who get no government funding at all only have to pay £10k/term, whether you are at a shitty 70s block place or oxford or cambridge! so you can do your degree a the best place in the country for $50k and get to take trips all around europe while you are doing it, for $50 for a return flight each time!


Wish I knew about that 6 months ago. ****.


It's a done deal. Less than two weeks starting. I'll just be paying loans forever.

And it's a private school. The president worked on Sonic the Hedgehog back in the day. 8)
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
User avatar
Nightracer GT
Faction Commander
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby trence5 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:26 pm

Motto: "I GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE!"
Weapon: Photon Eliminator Rifle
Dark Zarak wrote: Staring at Maya 8.0 for the first time is like staring at God.
:PRAY: :PRAY: Amen to that (though I'm more of a Cinema 4D man myself but that will probably change cause the big "M" of the big 2 is nearly everywhere) ;)^ ;)^
User avatar
trence5
Targetmaster
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: San Antonio
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby trence5 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 pm

Motto: "I GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE!"
Weapon: Photon Eliminator Rifle
Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:
Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:to be fair though, maya is a hideous disaster of a train-wreck when it comes to usability and interface design!


Only if you're new to using it. The same can be said for any 3D modeling program though.


no, i'm a professional user-experience designer so i know all about interfaces and usability, and also i've used a variety of 3d programs, just trust me on this one


Huh. Me as well. Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor, Rhino3D, 3DSMax, Blender, Lightwave, Maya, SoftImage. etc etc etc. Granted I'm not insanely experience with many of those but I found Maya to at least be easier than 3DSMax. Granted it's interface still sucks compared to the first three or four I put on that list.
I hear Zbrush is coming up in the world.
User avatar
trence5
Targetmaster
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:31 pm
Location: San Antonio
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Phategod1 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm

I gotta go with WETA most of the Organic stuff they do is amazing. I'd love to see how they handle Non-organic things like the TF's
My gamer tag is PHATEGODPRIME Im too lazy to put the little fancy one here.
Phategod1
Godmaster
Posts: 1599
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 am

Postby derob » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:03 am

Phategod1 wrote:I gotta go with WETA most of the Organic stuff they do is amazing. I'd love to see how they handle Non-organic things like the TF's

you mean u wanted WETA on this for curiosity's sake? not that i dont trust WETA but i wont let them experiment on TF first. But i think WETA could make a better godzilla remake (the classic that is)
derob
Micromaster
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:06 am

Postby Nightracer GT » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:45 am

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
foifoi05 wrote:
Phategod1 wrote:I gotta go with WETA most of the Organic stuff they do is amazing. I'd love to see how they handle Non-organic things like the TF's

you mean u wanted WETA on this for curiosity's sake? not that i dont trust WETA but i wont let them experiment on TF first. But i think WETA could make a better godzilla remake (the classic that is)


No, he's just saying that he would be interested to see, in a hypothetical situation, how WETA would handle the Bayformers.


I think they would be relatively the same. ILM is so awesome when it comes to stuff like this. I'd leave WETA to the organic stuff. They must love to do all that painstaking rendering, lighting dynamic work, and I say let them have it.
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
User avatar
Nightracer GT
Faction Commander
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby derob » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:13 am

sorry if it sounded rude. Anyway, i think it would be great if both could team up for this. While ILM is great doing CGs in a realworld setting,... WETA will do the Cybertron scene werein everything starts from scratch, i can imagine now an epic battle of bots viewed from the top ala LOTR
derob
Micromaster
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:06 am

Postby hot rod 907 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Weta always looks real, but only when set in a real world setting. ILM always looks fake, but can do more things that couldn't have been done before the 21st centuary. They make a good team for a movie like this.
hot rod 907
Micromaster
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Postby Nightracer GT » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
hot rod 907 wrote:Weta always looks real, but only when set in a real world setting.


Real worlds like Middle Earth, crazy jungle islands where dinosaurs are still alive, and future settings with robots taking over?

:-P
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
User avatar
Nightracer GT
Faction Commander
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby derob » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:02 am

Dark Zarak wrote:
hot rod 907 wrote:Weta always looks real, but only when set in a real world setting.


Real worlds like Middle Earth, crazy jungle islands where dinosaurs are still alive, and future settings with robots taking over?

:-P

i also thought of that :D
derob
Micromaster
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:06 am

Postby skywarp-2 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:03 am

Still think I would have like dto see what Weta would have come up with..ILM may have wrote the book on Sci-Fi robotics and ect.. but its not too far out of whack to expect that another effects studio couldn't do the same.. regardless of us not seeing that being done by them yet..Its called having faith in others.. and also beliveing that people are capable of making decisions....or in this case have enough talent to try to tackle the transformers..I think to settle the arguement we need someone who has an inside friend at WETA, and send a Challenge to their design staff to produce some 3-D artwork on their interpretations of what The Transformers in live action would look like had their studio done the job...

Now that would be interesting :-?
Image
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56030
In the interests of keeping it clean, I will now only curse at you in Morse code: ..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- --- ..- that means "F-you!"
User avatar
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
Posts: 4177
News Credits: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 am

Postby dragons » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:41 am

i choose the company that worked on star wars i dont know what the two comapnies work look like so i choose the one ive seen more and liked it might be off topic but who is doing the effects on this film.?

are weta and ilm working togeather or is it differnt company alll togeather.?
dragons
Gestalt
Posts: 2484
News Credits: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:28 pm

Postby TheMuffin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:37 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
It's ILM. The company who worked on the Star Wars films aside from a hundred other films.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11044
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Nightracer GT » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:19 am

Motto: "If it feels so good, it can't be wrong."
Weapon: Whiplash Cutlass
dragons wrote:are weta and ilm working togeather or is it differnt company alll togeather.?


ILM, Industrial Light and Magic. They got started with the original Star Wars in 1977. Ever since they have done most major effects work for movies like Jurassic Park, Terminators, Aliens (I think), Predator (I think), and now Transformers. They did all the Star Wars movies.

WETA is named after a giant New Zealand bug. They did Lord of the Rings, King Kong, and I Robot. I don't know of any others they did.

I personally like WETA better because they do such wonderful looking organic creatures, whereas ILM, while awesome, do much better work on mechanical stuff. In the case of Transformers, it's setting up to be awesome. And damn the naysayers to Hell. Okay, a few designs are kind of dumb, but for the most part, awesome.
Buy my RiD toys! They're awesome, I promise!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910929578?ss ... 1555.l2649
User avatar
Nightracer GT
Faction Commander
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby AbsumZer0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:37 am

Dark Zarak wrote:
dragons wrote:are weta and ilm working togeather or is it differnt company alll togeather.?


ILM, Industrial Light and Magic. They got started with the original Star Wars in 1977. Ever since they have done most major effects work for movies like Jurassic Park, Terminators, Aliens (I think), Predator (I think), and now Transformers. They did all the Star Wars movies.

WETA is named after a giant New Zealand bug. They did Lord of the Rings, King Kong, and I Robot. I don't know of any others they did.

I personally like WETA better because they do such wonderful looking organic creatures, whereas ILM, while awesome, do much better work on mechanical stuff. In the case of Transformers, it's setting up to be awesome. And damn the naysayers to Hell. Okay, a few designs are kind of dumb, but for the most part, awesome.


As far as I know Aliens (the second) and Predator 1 and 2 were done by Stan Winston and his studio. I'm not certain who did the other Alien films but I know it wasn't ILM. ILM also didn't do the effects for the original Terminator, though they did the 2nd and 3rd.

foifoi05 wrote:sorry if it sounded rude. Anyway, i think it would be great if both could team up for this. While ILM is great doing CGs in a realworld setting,... WETA will do the Cybertron scene werein everything starts from scratch, i can imagine now an epic battle of bots viewed from the top ala LOTR


Eragon apparently had both companies working on it (though I'm not sure of the specifics).
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby kjeevah » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:50 am

such silliness, come on, how many of you actually know anything about it.. sweeping statements like 'ilm is good at robots weta is good at organic stuff' are just silly
kjeevah
Minibot
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:08 pm

Postby TheMuffin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
kjeevah wrote:such silliness, come on, how many of you actually know anything about it.. sweeping statements like 'ilm is good at robots weta is good at organic stuff' are just silly


Do you have proof otherwise? That's what each group tends to work on so of course they'll be typecast as such.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11044
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby AbsumZer0 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:such silliness, come on, how many of you actually know anything about it.. sweeping statements like 'ilm is good at robots weta is good at organic stuff' are just silly


Do you have proof otherwise? That's what each group tends to work on so of course they'll be typecast as such.


ILM does a ton of organic stuff. Far more than WETA probably, although WETA has only been around since '87 and their digital offshoot since '93. I'm sure WETA will add more robots to their credits in time but you have to remember WETA has only been a major player in the film industry since the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Before that they were pretty much relegated to syndicated television.

Examples of ILM's organic work:

-all Star wars films
-Eragon
-Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3
-The Chronicles of Narnia
-Mars Attacks
-Fire In the Sky
-Van Helsing
-the Hulk
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
-Signs
-Harry Potter films
-Jurassic Park 1-3
-The Mummy, The Mummy Returns
-The Mask, Son of the Mask
-Men in Black 1 and 2
-Jumanji
-Congo
-Spawn

etc.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby TheMuffin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:25 pm

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Good call...Silly me.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11044
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Ironhidensh » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:21 am

AbsumZer0 wrote:
Zuko wrote:
kjeevah wrote:such silliness, come on, how many of you actually know anything about it.. sweeping statements like 'ilm is good at robots weta is good at organic stuff' are just silly


Do you have proof otherwise? That's what each group tends to work on so of course they'll be typecast as such.


ILM does a ton of organic stuff. Far more than WETA probably, although WETA has only been around since '87 and their digital offshoot since '93. I'm sure WETA will add more robots to their credits in time but you have to remember WETA has only been a major player in the film industry since the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Before that they were pretty much relegated to syndicated television.

Examples of ILM's organic work:

-all Star wars films
-Eragon
-Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3
-The Chronicles of Narnia
-Mars Attacks
-Fire In the Sky
-Van Helsing
-the Hulk
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
-Signs
-Harry Potter films
-Jurassic Park 1-3
-The Mummy, The Mummy Returns
-The Mask, Son of the Mask
-Men in Black 1 and 2
-Jumanji
-Congo
-Spawn

etc.


I thought Weta did Narnia?
Image
Ironhidensh
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6731
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014