Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Moderators: Cryhavok, Supreme Convoy, robofreak

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Damani_d » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 am

As a kid Voltron was not as popular with me and my friends..I remember watching it and possibly having a few toys but there were so many other cartoons that came first its like I didn't bother most of the time..

I find it funny though, that all these cartoons from yesteryear are being remade because they execs know cartoons now a days are not cutting it..I guess parents are complaining? Or simply that execs are cashing in on the retro buzz that's been in the air for some time now..
Damani_d
Mini-Con
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 am

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Episode 4 aired last night (episodes 1-3 were that 90-minute premiere I discussed before), and I gotta say, I really like Ron Halder as Coran. His voice is very evocative of Peter Cullen's own take on Coran and also adds his own air of sagacity to the character.

Why do I bring up someone as seemingly insignificant as Coran? Well, becuase this episode centered around him. In this episode, as Pidge is demonstrating some of the new weapon upgrades to the Voltron lion tails, an unidentified ship approaches the Castle of Lions. An injured Coran is identified as its pilot, and has come to warn the Voltron Force of Sky Marshall Wade's latest activity. Wade has taken over the Galaxy Alliance and is moving to create an army far greater than even Voltron could handle. Unless Wade's secret moonbase is destroyed, they're all doomed.

Lance want to take the cadets with them on the mission, so as to help them gain more experience in the field. Pidge however sees this as a better opportunity to test the lions' new weapons. Keith agrees and dismisses Lance's suggestion, opting to go with original Voltron Force members only. Coran is put in charge of the cadets until the others get back.

During the mission, the team attempts to rebond after having been divided for years. They immediately form Voltron and engage Wade's moonbase's automated defenses. All the while, Keith, having grown accustomed to working alone, starts to show that he's better at giving commands rather than taking them.

Back at the castle, having been confine to their quarters, Daniel and Vince talk about having their own base, which they call "the Lair". As Vince works on his Voltcom, a mysterious voice speaks to him and puts him in a trance. As he leaves his room, he and Daniel run into coran, who asks them to keep it down and return to their quarters so he can rest and recuperate from his former injuries. They agree and, after Coran leaves, Larmina, who was eaves-dropping on them, agrees to their Lair idea.

Meanwhile, the battle with the lions and the moonbase escalates to the point at which the planetary core of the planetoid the base resides on becomes unstable enough that it will eventually explode and take the base with it, leaving Voltron plenty of time to evacuate to safety. However, Wade contacts the lions from Earth, revealing that this was all a set up. He wanted them to destroy his base, as he had captured Coran and now holds his captive within the exploding base. The five now have no choice but to disengage Voltron and enter the base individually to rescue coran before the base explodes. Amid this chaos, Hunk wonders, "If that's the real Coran, then who'd we leave back at the castle with the kids?"

In the catacombs of the castle, the cadets earch for a place where they could set up their secret Lair. They run into Coran again, who asks them again to return to their quarters. Daniel, however, questions how and why Coran is wandering the catacombs if he still needed to recover from his wounds. In response, Coran attacks them.
There's more to this story, but I figured it'd be better if I stopped right here rather than spoil the ending.

Overall, I'm digging this series. It is the most competently written Voltron series yet, and with great animation to boot.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14834
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby iamangel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Voltron was like Transformers back in the day. I can't believe it is back. I can't wait to watch some episodes.
iamangel
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 pm
Buy from iamangel on eBay

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Damani_d » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 am

I will need to watch this online some where..

On a side note does anyone collect the Voltron DVD series..the original that is..
Damani_d
Mini-Con
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:00 am

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby dinogeist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I saw a few minutes of the new voltron cartoon series. I didn't like it. it seemed rather stale,booring & un-interesting.

It seemed like a re-hash of the awful voltron CGI cartoon they did years ago.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Fortress Rodimus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Man i had no idea they were making a new voltron i will have to watch it. it is like being a kid again transformers gi joe, voltron, and thunder cats. the 80's rocked that is why they keep coming back. 8)
Fortress Rodimus
Fuzor
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:54 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
deathy wrote:I saw a few minutes of the new voltron cartoon series. I didn't like it. it seemed rather stale,booring & un-interesting.

It seemed like a re-hash of the awful voltron CGI cartoon they did years ago.
No offense but that's just pitiful. A few minutes doesn't do squat.

And while the CGI of Voltron: The Third Dimesnion may have been awful, it was still produced at a time during which CGI for television was still in its infancy. It was the very first American-made (read: "United States") CGI cartoon, and so they were still testing the waters with it back then. cut them a little slack.

And, despite its lousy animation, the writing and voice directing of Voltron: The Third Dimension was worlds better than those of the original Voltron: Defender of the Universe cartoon. I mean, I get that it was for kids but kids aren't as stupid as the writing and voice acting of that show (Defender of the Universe) was. It was mind-numbingly bad. Whereas Voltron: The Third Dimension actully attempted to tell a good story with engaging plots and interesting characters.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14834
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Fortress Rodimus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 am

Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
has anyone seen the original japaness voltron? I heared it was a lot better than ours.
Fortress Rodimus
Fuzor
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:54 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Wheeljack35 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 am

Fortress Rodimus wrote:has anyone seen the original japaness voltron? I heared it was a lot better than ours.



Hell if your refering to the one that was shown on american TV back starting in 1984 then yes.I was around 17 when it first aired I giot the series all on DVD
Image
User avatar
Wheeljack35
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8637
News Credits: 26
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Watch Wheeljack35 on YouTube

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby dinogeist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 am

Sabrblade wrote:
deathy wrote:I saw a few minutes of the new voltron cartoon series. I didn't like it. it seemed rather stale,booring & un-interesting.

It seemed like a re-hash of the awful voltron CGI cartoon they did years ago.
No offense but that's just pitiful. A few minutes doesn't do squat.

And while the CGI of Voltron: The Third Dimesnion may have been awful, it was still produced at a time during which CGI for television was still in its infancy. It was the very first American-made (read: "United States") CGI cartoon, and so they were still testing the waters with it back then. cut them a little slack.

And, despite its lousy animation, the writing and voice directing of Voltron: The Third Dimension was worlds better than those of the original Voltron: Defender of the Universe cartoon. I mean, I get that it was for kids but kids aren't as stupid as the writing and voice acting of that show (Defender of the Universe) was. It was mind-numbingly bad. Whereas Voltron: The Third Dimension actully attempted to tell a good story with engaging plots and interesting characters.


the 3rd dimension voltron CGI series suffered because it attempted to continue off a cartoon that ended nearly 15+years ago. expecting viewers to play catch up & being lost as most had no clue nor didn't see the original 1980's voltron series was a bad movie on the 3rd dimension voltron writters/creaters part.

This newer 2011 Voltron sries seems to follow in the 3rd dimension footsteps as the original bad guy king is gone & the kings son is leading the bad guys. again expecting viewers to do research,catch up & watch the older series eisodes is just is just bad writting & bad everything. trying to continue the main story from 25+years ago makes even less sense.

It would have made sense to do a reboot & start a fresh slate.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:24 am

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
deathy wrote:the 3rd dimension voltron CGI series suffered because it attempted to continue off a cartoon that ended nearly 15+years ago. expecting viewers to play catch up & being lost as most had no clue nor didn't see the original 1980's voltron series was a bad movie on the 3rd dimension voltron writters/creaters part.

This newer 2011 Voltron sries seems to follow in the 3rd dimension footsteps as the original bad guy king is gone & the kings son is leading the bad guys. again expecting viewers to do research,catch up & watch the older series eisodes is just is just bad writting & bad everything. trying to continue the main story from 25+years ago makes even less sense.

It would have made sense to do a reboot & start a fresh slate.
Both shows gave enough backstory in their first episodes to introduce new viewers to the story of Voltron and to help get them caught up with all that they needed to know.

Plus, The Third Dimension actually had it better than this series, since Defender of the Universe reruns were still playing in the early 90s under the name "The New Adventures of Voltron", complete with a new opening sequence (with even more disgusting-looking CGI than what The Third Dimension used). Your claim that it came on as a follow-up to an old show is voided when the old show it was following was still on the air only a few short years before it.

With this new series, all any new viewers need to know about the old show is told in the first episode: Voltron was a mighty robot savior formed by five piloted robot lions. He defeated the evil King Lotor (no mention of Zarkon because he's not important at this time) and his forces of Doom some years ago, but then was decommissioned due to the unpredictability of the lions. What more does one need to know that isn't covered later on in the episodes?
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14834
News Credits: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Is anyone looking forward to watch Voltron force?

Postby Sustain » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 am

Motto: ""It is not enough to win, you must maintain control.""
Weapon: High-Amplification Directional Radiowave Sensor
I really need to watch this. *Runs off to find it*
User avatar
Sustain
HMW Moderator
Posts: 4899
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Daraknus Decepticon Outpost.
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 2
Rank: 3
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6


Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014