Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Is there a particular reason why Ratchet is bile-green?

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Is there a particular reason why Ratchet is bile-green?

Postby Basketball Jones » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:21 pm

The design is palatable (most likely a result of the atrocious original Ratchet lowering standards), but the color scheme is a bit odd.

In addition to not keeping with the original figure, bile-green ambulances are rather rare in reality as well.

I could always repaint him, but the detail on the figure would be an impediment to it.
Basketball Jones
Combiner
Posts: 417
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Is there a particular reason why Ratchet is bile-green?

Postby AbsumZer0 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Basketball Jones wrote:The design is palatable (most likely a result of the atrocious original Ratchet lowering standards), but the color scheme is a bit odd.

In addition to not keeping with the original figure, bile-green ambulances are rather rare in reality as well.

I could always repaint him, but the detail on the figure would be an impediment to it.


The listings we've seen have an Autobot Ratchet and Autbot Ratchet Ambulance both listed as Voyagers so my guess is we'll get at least a repaint, if not perhaps a remould or entirely new mould.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Because he isn't an ambulance. He's a fire rescue vehicle. Which are now being produced in that neon yellow green color so they're more visable on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making fire engines and ambulances in this color as well.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:31 am

TheMuffin wrote:Because he isn't an ambulance. He's a fire rescue vehicle. Which are now being produced in that neon yellow green color so they're more visable on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making fire engines and ambulances in this color as well.

MORE THINGS PUKE GREEN? SAY IT AIN'T SO! :shock:

It's because Bay is GM's booty-buddy, and the closest thing GM had to an ambulance was a puke-green hummer.
Bluebullet

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Bluebullet wrote:
TheMuffin wrote:Because he isn't an ambulance. He's a fire rescue vehicle. Which are now being produced in that neon yellow green color so they're more visable on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making fire engines and ambulances in this color as well.

MORE THINGS PUKE GREEN? SAY IT AIN'T SO! :shock:

It's because Bay is GM's booty-buddy, and the closest thing GM had to an ambulance was a puke-green hummer.


This is really getting old. I'd just like to throw that out there. Once again this is how new emergency vehicles are being produced. Hummer doesn't normally produce this color for the normal market. Only for emergency vehicles.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Neko » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 am

Sorry Bluebullet, but there's no conspiracy surrounding Ratchet's color. He's a rescue vehicle. And modern Rescue vehicles (particularly in cities) are bright colors such as the neon green and red. They're rescue vehicles and they're far from rare nowadays. Depending upon where you live dictacts whether or not you've seen them. I lived in California for a long time and saw them on a daily basis, but now I live in Alabama and haven't seen one since moving here.
Image
Neko
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9739
News Credits: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 pm

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:57 am

But he didn't have to be an emergency vehicle. He was only an emergency vehicle because Bay is buddies with GM. He could've been an ambulance, but GM doesn't make ambulances. I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. Just that Bay is GM's slave/drone, and that's why Ratchet is puke green.
Bluebullet

Postby TheMuffin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:16 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Bluebullet wrote:But he didn't have to be an emergency vehicle. He was only an emergency vehicle because Bay is buddies with GM. He could've been an ambulance, but GM doesn't make ambulances. I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. Just that Bay is GM's slave/drone, and that's why Ratchet is puke green.


Or because they paid to have their cars as the Autobots. If anything GM is being the **** of Bay. Not the other way around. And if Bay had wanted he could have given ratchet an ambulance mode. Ford makes ambulances' and there are Ford's in this movie. He did it for a reason. Not because he's some lackey of an automotive company.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Neko » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:24 am

Bluebullet wrote:But he didn't have to be an emergency vehicle. He was only an emergency vehicle because Bay is buddies with GM. He could've been an ambulance, but GM doesn't make ambulances. I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. Just that Bay is GM's slave/drone, and that's why Ratchet is puke green.


Like Cyber Bishop said. If you pay attention well enough in moives (particularly CGI cartoon movies) there's loads of advertising. Watch Ant Bully and Antz and tell me how much advertisement you can pick up. There are huge meetings compainies of products go to when people are making films to see where they can seek in their products.

Transformers is no different. GM, furbies, and other products I'm sure, will appear in the movie as advertisements the companies paid Bay to put in there.
Image
Neko
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9739
News Credits: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 pm

Postby Barricade » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:58 am

Motto: ""to punish and enslave...""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
Neko wrote: GM, furbies, and other products I'm sure, will appear in the movie as advertisements the companies paid Bay to put in there.
yal just look at ratchet's face ;;)
Image
User avatar
Barricade
Gestalt
Posts: 2257
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: Ramstein AB, Germany
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 3
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 am

Cujo wrote:
Neko wrote: GM, furbies, and other products I'm sure, will appear in the movie as advertisements the companies paid Bay to put in there.
yal just look at ratchet's face ;;)

*high-fives Cujo* My thoughts exactly. 8)
Bluebullet

Postby Ironhidensh » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:50 am

TheMuffin wrote:Because he isn't an ambulance. He's a fire rescue vehicle. Which are now being produced in that neon yellow green color so they're more visable on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making fire engines and ambulances in this color as well.


South Bend just got two new engines in that color.
Image
Ironhidensh
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6731
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm

Postby Sunstar » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:24 am

Motto: "All hail Lord Starscream"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P
Image
"We, Decepticons, are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun." - Starscream
| Starscream's Shrine | Fan Art
User avatar
Sunstar
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5015
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:40 pm
Location: Cybertron

Postby Fender Bender » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:06 pm

Motto: "Whatever doesn't kill me will pay for it's failure."
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....
Image
Fender Bender
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6442
News Credits: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Spencer, WI
Buy from Fender Bender on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 pm

Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.
Bluebullet

Postby Hotrod » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:27 pm

TheMuffin wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
TheMuffin wrote:Because he isn't an ambulance. He's a fire rescue vehicle. Which are now being produced in that neon yellow green color so they're more visable on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making fire engines and ambulances in this color as well.

MORE THINGS PUKE GREEN? SAY IT AIN'T SO! :shock:

It's because Bay is GM's booty-buddy, and the closest thing GM had to an ambulance was a puke-green hummer.


This is really getting old. I'd just like to throw that out there. Once again this is how new emergency vehicles are being produced. Hummer doesn't normally produce this color for the normal market. Only for emergency vehicles.


Also that is the color of militry emergency vehicles now. The Navy base I live near has a small rescue truck and 3 fire trucks that color.
Hotrod
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8944
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 4:12 pm

Postby Ironhidensh » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.
Image
Ironhidensh
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6731
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm

Postby Fender Bender » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Motto: "Whatever doesn't kill me will pay for it's failure."
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
Ironhidensh wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.


Exactly what I was thinking. It's like apples to oranges.
Image
Fender Bender
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6442
News Credits: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Spencer, WI
Buy from Fender Bender on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:53 pm

Ironhidensh wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.

What I'm trying to say is that almost nothing in Transformers is realistic. Same with LOTR. On that key point, it applies. Mass shifting and humanoid robots are as believable as hobbits and wizards. Realism shouldn't be stressed on something so unrealistic. It's like making a lightsaber into a plain, old, actual metal sword in a new Star Wars because it's "realistic". As stated in my first post, some things shouldn't be made realistic. They belong unaltered to give the "No way! Cool!" factor.
Last edited by Bluebullet on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluebullet

Postby Fender Bender » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 pm

Motto: "Whatever doesn't kill me will pay for it's failure."
Weapon: Dual Heat-Seeking Missile Launcher
Bluebullet wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.

What I'm trying to say is that almost nothing in Transformers is realistic. Same with LOTR. On that key point, it applies. Mass shifting and humanoid robots are as believable as hobbits and wizards. Realism shouldn't be stressed on something so unrealistic. It's like making a lightsaber an plain, old, actual metal sword.


I'd say the vehicle modes are realistic (minus Megatron of course). That's not nothing. Having human actors interact with them is realistic. Having the military react to the Transformers is realistic.

Would you rather cut ALL the realism and go with 100% fantasy?

I know I wouldn't.

BTW, with you bringing up lightsabres, one has to wonder how hypocritical that is considering your sig picture...
Image
Fender Bender
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6442
News Credits: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Spencer, WI
Buy from Fender Bender on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:07 pm

Fender Bender wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.

What I'm trying to say is that almost nothing in Transformers is realistic. Same with LOTR. On that key point, it applies. Mass shifting and humanoid robots are as believable as hobbits and wizards. Realism shouldn't be stressed on something so unrealistic. It's like making a lightsaber an plain, old, actual metal sword.


I'd say the vehicle modes are realistic (minus Megatron of course). That's not nothing. Having human actors interact with them is realistic. Having the military react to the Transformers is realistic.

Would you rather cut ALL the realism and go with 100% fantasy?

I know I wouldn't.

BTW, with you bringing up lightsabres, one has to wonder how hypocritical that is considering your sig picture...

I said almost. I ment "almost nothing" as in mass shifting, object alts, cyber keys, Unicron, etc...; I never said 100% would be good. I said that Bay is overkilling realism.

I never gave the Screamer in my sig a lightsaber. That is an actual scene from "Cramp". The lightsaber comparison was to show the Star Wars equivilent of how drastic the changes Bay made are. There is nothing hypocritical in that.
Bluebullet

Postby Down_Shift » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
The "puke" color of green is whats know as "emergency" green nowadays. I have the joy and privilege of living across the road from a Hospital. (it took a while to learn how to sleep again once I had moved in) I often look out my bedroom window when I hear the sirens go off. From my count, the hospital has 3 ambulances and one of them has the reflective paint job.

It seems to be the way all emerge vehicles are going to be painted in the future. It may not look good on the toy, because they can't use the same type of paint on the toy as they use on the real deal. Besides, would you want a toy that blinds you if you look at it in the light? :P From what I've seen of the CGI render, I think Ratchet looks good in that color scheme.
Image

Cheer me on at - TeamDrinkFest.com

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
User avatar
Down_Shift
News Moderator
Posts: 6288
News Credits: 31
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:45 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 6

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:24 am

Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


Bad, bad, very bad, comparaison. LOTR took place in a fantasy realm. Transformers is supposed to be happening on our world. Realism is not only important, its key, if not crucial, to getting the mainstream audience to accept it.

What I'm trying to say is that almost nothing in Transformers is realistic. Same with LOTR. On that key point, it applies. Mass shifting and humanoid robots are as believable as hobbits and wizards. Realism shouldn't be stressed on something so unrealistic. It's like making a lightsaber an plain, old, actual metal sword.


I'd say the vehicle modes are realistic (minus Megatron of course). That's not nothing. Having human actors interact with them is realistic. Having the military react to the Transformers is realistic.

Would you rather cut ALL the realism and go with 100% fantasy?

I know I wouldn't.

BTW, with you bringing up lightsabres, one has to wonder how hypocritical that is considering your sig picture...

I said almost. I ment "almost nothing" as in mass shifting, object alts, cyber keys, Unicron, etc...; I never said 100% would be good. I said that Bay is overkilling realism.

I never gave the Screamer in my sig a lightsaber. That is an actual scene from "Cramp". The lightsaber comparison was to show the Star Wars equivilent of how drastic the changes Bay made are. There is nothing hypocritical in that.


But the changes aren't that drastic. Hell, they are only cosmetic, with a few story twinks. Once again, the SW comparison doesn't work. It to is set in a fantasy realm. Transformers have to fit in a contemporary world.
Image
Ironhidensh
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6731
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:14 pm

Postby Leonardo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 am

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by Leonardo on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7012
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 am

Postby Leonardo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 am

Bluebullet wrote:
Fender Bender wrote:
Sunstar wrote:up my mother's way the fire engines are bright green-yellow, so its not overly odd. I just dislike the hummer and well...the hummer :P


QFT. 8) I dislike the Hummer. The colors are realistic, however, and if I remember correctly, that was what they were aiming for....

Extreme realism shouldn't be applied to everything. Transformers is one of those things. Realism in a movie is fine, but making realism one of the number one goals is taking it too far. Can you imagine if LOTR went by that idea? If Michael Bay is as obsessed with realism as he appears, he was the last person Hasbro should've considered.


A minor niggle, but "realism" and "being realistic" are not synonymous. There are differences between the two concepts.

LOTR was grounded in realism, yet it was not realistic. Star Wars is rife with realism, it works because of its realism, but it is not realistic.
Leonardo
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7012
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:08 am

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014