Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Lawsuit ended with Sony and Immersion...Is rumble back?!

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

Lawsuit ended with Sony and Immersion...Is rumble back?!

Postby FracturedKoi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
IGN network recently reported that Immersion and Sony have ended their long going bout over the force feedback technology!

Check out the following link for details and pray that we see a new SixAxis controller in the works!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769390p1.html
User avatar
FracturedKoi
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 863
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:56 pm
Location: Anniston, AL
Buy from FracturedKoi on eBay
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby The Happy Locust » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:40 pm

Motto: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools- Douglas Adams"
Weapon: Black Magic
for the record, companies like immersion and the company that's suing Nintendo over the wiimote's functions are what we call "patent-squatters". They come up with an idea, patent the idea without a working design, prototype, or production, and then sue the first company to actually make it.
Next up on Pimp My Jeager.
Image


LocustManX2: New Episodes now showing!
Famous Characters, Locustized! now taking requests.

Psycho Warrior wrote:for this reason, that is why I like to be around Locust. fun stuff happens.
User avatar
The Happy Locust
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35282
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:46 pm
Location: In dreams, in nightmares, in embarrassing fantasies.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 3
Skill: 10

Postby TheMuffin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
The Happy Locust wrote:for the record, companies like immersion and the company that's suing Nintendo over the wiimote's functions are what we call "patent-squatters". They come up with an idea, patent the idea without a working design, prototype, or production, and then sue the first company to actually make it.


Yeah. But some companies like Microsoft are smart enough to just pay them the royalties to avoid spending many more millions in court.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Tweezy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:10 am

Motto: "There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point"
TheMuffin wrote:
The Happy Locust wrote:for the record, companies like immersion and the company that's suing Nintendo over the wiimote's functions are what we call "patent-squatters". They come up with an idea, patent the idea without a working design, prototype, or production, and then sue the first company to actually make it.


Yeah. But some companies like Microsoft are smart enough to just pay them the royalties to avoid spending many more millions in court.

It's still essentially the same thing as fat people suing McDonalds because they let themselves become fat from eating their food. These "patent squatters" are suing companies because they produced the same product. only that same product produced wasn't just a good idea written down on paper and left to rot in the throughs of patent hell!
Posting and You!
Image
Click my sig for fun times
User avatar
Tweezy
Gestalt
Posts: 2166
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Somewhere in time and space.

Postby TheMuffin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Tha Tweezrrr wrote:
TheMuffin wrote:
The Happy Locust wrote:for the record, companies like immersion and the company that's suing Nintendo over the wiimote's functions are what we call "patent-squatters". They come up with an idea, patent the idea without a working design, prototype, or production, and then sue the first company to actually make it.


Yeah. But some companies like Microsoft are smart enough to just pay them the royalties to avoid spending many more millions in court.

It's still essentially the same thing as fat people suing McDonalds because they let themselves become fat from eating their food. These "patent squatters" are suing companies because they produced the same product. only that same product produced wasn't just a good idea written down on paper and left to rot in the throughs of patent hell!


But. If you had created something (we'll use the rumble technology) and paid the money to have it patented, would you not be pissed if some giant company like Sony decided to steal your exact design and not pay for it?
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Tweezy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:39 am

Motto: "There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point"
TheMuffin wrote:
Tha Tweezrrr wrote:
TheMuffin wrote:
The Happy Locust wrote:for the record, companies like immersion and the company that's suing Nintendo over the wiimote's functions are what we call "patent-squatters". They come up with an idea, patent the idea without a working design, prototype, or production, and then sue the first company to actually make it.


Yeah. But some companies like Microsoft are smart enough to just pay them the royalties to avoid spending many more millions in court.

It's still essentially the same thing as fat people suing McDonalds because they let themselves become fat from eating their food. These "patent squatters" are suing companies because they produced the same product. only that same product produced wasn't just a good idea written down on paper and left to rot in the throughs of patent hell!


But. If you had created something (we'll use the rumble technology) and paid the money to have it patented, would you not be pissed if some giant company like Sony decided to steal your exact design and not pay for it?

Unless I had a working model and was marketing it for profit, I would actually be quite honored that sony thought my idea was good enough to steal. but that's just me personally!
Posting and You!
Image
Click my sig for fun times
User avatar
Tweezy
Gestalt
Posts: 2166
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Somewhere in time and space.

Postby TheMuffin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:42 am

Motto: "I still function!"
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
So...You would want your idea stolen by a billion dollar company because they didn't want to spend a few thousand to come up with it for themselves...You'd be honored if someone else made millions of dollars off of your idea while you make nothing on it.

Just because there was no working prototype of the tech means nothing. All it says to me is they hadn't found a product to include it in yet.
Image
User avatar
TheMuffin
Site Moderator
Posts: 11040
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:12 am
Location: Ohiooooooo
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Tweezy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:58 am

Motto: "There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point"
TheMuffin wrote:So...You would want your idea stolen by a billion dollar company because they didn't want to spend a few thousand to come up with it for themselves...You'd be honored if someone else made millions of dollars off of your idea while you make nothing on it.

Just because there was no working prototype of the tech means nothing. All it says to me is they hadn't found a product to include it in yet.

You raise a very good point. Touche. But I only said I would be honored if they THOUGHT the idea was good enough to steal. stealing the idea would still make me pissed though!
Posting and You!
Image
Click my sig for fun times
User avatar
Tweezy
Gestalt
Posts: 2166
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Somewhere in time and space.

Postby The Happy Locust » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Motto: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools- Douglas Adams"
Weapon: Black Magic
TheMuffin wrote:Just because there was no working prototype of the tech means nothing. All it says to me is they hadn't found a product to include it in yet.


Definition of patent troll

Here's what i was referring to.
Next up on Pimp My Jeager.
Image


LocustManX2: New Episodes now showing!
Famous Characters, Locustized! now taking requests.

Psycho Warrior wrote:for this reason, that is why I like to be around Locust. fun stuff happens.
User avatar
The Happy Locust
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35282
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:46 pm
Location: In dreams, in nightmares, in embarrassing fantasies.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 3
Skill: 10

Postby Handels-Messerschmitt » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:31 pm

It'd be funny if they put rumble back since they've said that it wasn't part of their future anymore. It's a good feature, though.
Handels-Messerschmitt
Godmaster
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:11 pm


Return to Video Games Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014