Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Postby Optimist_Prime » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:32 pm

Well... I'm a little thing I like to call S.O.L
Image

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - G. Stanley Hall, Unsourced variant
User avatar
Optimist_Prime
Pretender
Posts: 754
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: The town you drove through, NH

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:37 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
For those of you with laptops or PCs that you want to be regionless, it's fairly easy to make your DVD player on your computer region free as well. Of course, that might depend on the DVD player that came with your system, but I was able to get mine on my Dell laptop to become region free fairly easy.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Optimist_Prime wrote:Well... I'm a little thing I like to call S.O.L


A $48 investment gets you the same player I have that used to be $70 2 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... lectronics
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Optimist_Prime » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:43 pm

http://www.world-import.com/dvd.htm?OVRAW=region%20free%20player&OVKEY=region%20free%20player&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=6618804511&OVKWID=38549816511
For those of you who want an easy, and fairly inexpensive way, here are some Region-Free DVD Players
Last edited by Optimist_Prime on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - G. Stanley Hall, Unsourced variant
User avatar
Optimist_Prime
Pretender
Posts: 754
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: The town you drove through, NH

Postby Jedi Kermit » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:43 pm

I've bought the same player as Ryan did last year so I could watch my Transformers DVDs from other countries. It does a good job of playback on a CRT but not on a HDTV. I ended up getting a Sony upconvert DVD player to watch all of my region 1 NTSC DVDs on my HDTV and on the Phillips just the Transformers DVDs I got from Europe.
User avatar
Jedi Kermit
News Staff
Posts: 2671
News Credits: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:56 pm

Postby Optimist_Prime » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Optimist_Prime wrote:Well... I'm a little thing I like to call S.O.L


A $48 investment gets you the same player I have that used to be $70 2 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... lectronics

Well... that would just be to easy. :BLACKEYE:
Image

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - G. Stanley Hall, Unsourced variant
User avatar
Optimist_Prime
Pretender
Posts: 754
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: The town you drove through, NH

Re: Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Postby Gutsman Heavy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:52 pm

Seibertron wrote:It certainly beats the alternative of not owning sets like Headmasters (which Madman will be releasing later this year)


WHOA!! How'd get get that juicy nugget of info!?
Gutsman Heavy
Combiner
Posts: 450
News Credits: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Gutsman Heavy wrote:
Seibertron wrote:It certainly beats the alternative of not owning sets like Headmasters (which Madman will be releasing later this year)


WHOA!! How'd get get that juicy nugget of info!?


Whoops! I forgot to post about it back on the 17th. :oops:

Here's the official news story about it: http://seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=11283
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Postby Azrael Prime » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Seibertron wrote:I can even download videos from the Internet, burn them directly to a DVD-R as their native format (i.e. AVI, MPEG, etc) and watch the actual raw videos on my home TV without ever havign to convert the video to a DVD format.


Anything special that needs to be done to said DVD-R?
I hit crazy old men with brooms...
Azrael Prime
Combiner
Posts: 427
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Hollow Bastion

Postby shortround » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Hey ryan can put of link to the headmasters dvds on madman site I couldn't find them I'm thinking about buying them and trying your trick.
Image
Serpentor "I am the one born to rule and destined to conquer. Let those who fear me, follow me. Let those who oppose me, die."
User avatar
shortround
City Commander
Posts: 3065
News Credits: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:35 am

Postby Noisemaze » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Okay, now all I need to know is where can I buy the dvd's? Who sells them? Where can I buy the UK RID set that I've heard so much about?
Noisemaze
Fuzor
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Postby ZoneDaiatlas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:41 pm

Motto: ""Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.""
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
Seibertron wrote:For those of you with laptops or PCs that you want to be regionless, it's fairly easy to make your DVD player on your computer region free as well. Of course, that might depend on the DVD player that came with your system, but I was able to get mine on my Dell laptop to become region free fairly easy.

The best solution is downloading "VLC Media Player" and it will play any region on your computer...
User avatar
ZoneDaiatlas
Vehicon
Posts: 329
News Credits: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN USA
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:41 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
shortround wrote:Hey ryan can put of link to the headmasters dvds on madman site I couldn't find them I'm thinking about buying them and trying your trick.


Headmasters will be available in November from Madman. You can buy Metrodome's version from Amazon.co.uk at the following link:

Headmasters: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Ta ... 557&sr=8-1

Amazon.co.uk will deliver to the U.S.

Masteforce: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Ta ... 557&sr=8-1

Victory: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformers-Ta ... 557&sr=8-1
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Noisemaze » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:42 pm

And what about Beast Wars II & Beast Wars NEO?
Noisemaze
Fuzor
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
ZoneDaiatlas wrote:
Seibertron wrote:For those of you with laptops or PCs that you want to be regionless, it's fairly easy to make your DVD player on your computer region free as well. Of course, that might depend on the DVD player that came with your system, but I was able to get mine on my Dell laptop to become region free fairly easy.

The best solution is downloading "VLC Media Player" and it will play any region on your computer...


I disagree. The best solution is just to make your player region free, which mine is, then you can use Windows Media Player or whatever other program you normally use to watch DVDs on your computer.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Elita One » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:43 pm

Motto: "I will chop your head off!- Axe Cop"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Gees Im sick and tired of reading that Yanks don't like the idea of importing dvds and the whole multi region players thing as a forgien concept. The rest of us have done it for yonks and don't ****. You can't have everything you want.
DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.
http://www.****.tumblr.com
User avatar
Elita One
Pretender
Posts: 716
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:07 am
Location: Australia
Watch Elita One on YouTube
Buy from Elita One on eBay

Re: Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Postby ZoneDaiatlas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Motto: ""Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.""
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
Azrael Prime wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I can even download videos from the Internet, burn them directly to a DVD-R as their native format (i.e. AVI, MPEG, etc) and watch the actual raw videos on my home TV without ever havign to convert the video to a DVD format.


Anything special that needs to be done to said DVD-R?

I think what Ryan is talking about is that his DVD player can play DIVX straight from a CD or DVD, so you don't need Nero to convert and burn into a DVD format... I use Nero to convert to a DVD format my Transformer's Victory and plays fine on the PS2 or my HDMI Phillips DVD player...
User avatar
ZoneDaiatlas
Vehicon
Posts: 329
News Credits: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN USA
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Let's talk about how easy it is play DVDs from anywhere in the world

Postby Seibertron » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
ZoneDaiatlas wrote:
Azrael Prime wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I can even download videos from the Internet, burn them directly to a DVD-R as their native format (i.e. AVI, MPEG, etc) and watch the actual raw videos on my home TV without ever havign to convert the video to a DVD format.


Anything special that needs to be done to said DVD-R?

I think what Ryan is talking about is that his DVD player can play DIVX straight from a CD or DVD, so you don't need Nero to convert and burn into a DVD format... I use Nero to convert to a DVD format my Transformer's Victory and plays fine on the PS2 or my HDMI Phillips DVD player...



Yes, that's what I'm saving. I burn the media files to a DVD-R, just like you would if you were making a backup of files on your computer. I pop the disk into my DVD player and it will play the files on the DVD. I don't have to do anything special at all with the files and they don't have to be DIVX format either.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Hotrod » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Elita One wrote:Gees Im sick and tired of reading that Yanks don't like the idea of importing dvds and the whole multi region players thing as a forgien concept. The rest of us have done it for yonks and don't ****. You can't have everything you want.


I don't see that anywhere in this thread.
Hotrod
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8944
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 4:12 pm

Postby PrimulArchangel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:55 pm

COBY makes a region free dvd player that is sold at CVS for 30$ and it plays VCDS which was a first for me cause i could never find a player that would play my VCDS lol.. And aren't all dvd players in computers region free as well ?
Check Out My Site , www.PrimulArchangelboxes.com for cool custom WST boxes and some full size G1 repro boxes and more :)
PrimulArchangel
Targetmaster
Posts: 691
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:16 am

Postby Seibertron » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 am

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
PrimulArchangel wrote:COBY makes a region free dvd player that is sold at CVS for 30$ and it plays VCDS which was a first for me cause i could never find a player that would play my VCDS lol.. And aren't all dvd players in computers region free as well ?


No, they are definitely not. You can switch the region of your computer a few times. But after 5 times on Windows XP, you can't switch back any more.

I'm also not talking about players that play VCDs (though mine will do that as well). We're talking about players that will actually play DVDs from other countries.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23351
News Credits: 751
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Entire Series Boxed Set

Postby chcoppoc » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:29 am

Here is a link to the entire G1 series plus the movie boxed set. It is the Chinese distribution but I have watched every episode perfectly on my Wal-Mart $25 Magnavox DVD player. The one downside is that by default the audio is not in english so you must select English on your DVD remote, but it works fine after that. Very affordable too!

http://www.amazon.com/TRANSFORMERS-Gene ... 028&sr=8-1

Not sure if anyone else mentioned that.
chcoppoc
Micromaster
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:00 pm

Postby Exdominus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
there a way to do this with a xbox 1?
HMW: Once Again Proving How Many People Have NO LIFE
Exdominus
Combiner
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Rex Sox Nation
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Xion » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:24 am

As all i know in Luxembourg it's legal to sell Multyregional DVD player I got mine in a HiFi from Pioneer and I will wait also when we get Multyregional Bluray player and when they are much cheaper.
I know that it's illegal in Germany and in Belgium so I just say viva Luxembourg. 8)
Xion
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:49 pm

Postby Black Bumblebee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:39 am

Hmmm... looks like I'll have to get a new DVD player... my cheapy Magnavox MDS115 doesn't seem to have a hack :(

I'm happy with the TF eps I've got... but I would like to get some of the UK Doctor Who DVDs to work :-)
Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/Pepsimus to see the latest episodes of The War Within animated, adapted from the comic of the same name. Episodes 1 & 2 complete!
User avatar
Black Bumblebee
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 521
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm
Buy from Black Bumblebee on eBay

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum