Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Roadbuster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:07 am

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/lucasfilm-brings-order-star-wars-galaxy-movies-comic-191429476.html

Despite what some will argue, this was a long time in coming and we have a few odd-ball stories in there that pissed off a bunch of fans that can be trashed. Nonetheless, I predict that regardless what gets cut, there will be plenty of fan rage.

I think it can be assumed that anything pre-dating TOR and TOR itself, is safe as those titles don't conflict with the films. Question is, what will be left of the post ROTJ era since Episode 2 pretty much thew a wrench in the Jedi Academy trilogy to throw everyhting post-dating it out of whack.

I think anything form ROTJ to the end of the Thrawn Trilogy should be safe.
Roadbuster
Faction Commander
Posts: 4476
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:23 pm

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Burn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:44 am

What annoys me personally is that I started reading EU back in 1995 and from then on I was hooked, bought all the post-ROTJ books and after nearly 20 years I'm basically being told they should be disregarded.

Don't want to, there's some damn good stories in there!
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!

Did I win the bet? Vote now!
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38119
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 am

George Lucas has said for years that the EU doesn't really happen in his star wars universe. There was a really bad rift a few years ago between Lucas and Karen Traviss over the Mandalorians.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Roadbuster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:51 am

You know Burn, that was right about the time I started reading them as well.

Wasn't Travis the one who started offing characters left and right because she could so long as it wasn't a main char?

If so, she deserved it.

And Burn, not everything will be scrapped. I imagine a few of the titles between films that don't involve reunions that aren't supposed to take place until film, or non-film first encounters will eb fine. Truce at Bakura, the X-Wing series, Courtship of Princess leia, and Thrawn Trilogy should okay. Shadows of the Empire had a fricken game to go along with it and it did a pretty good job being a setup for Return of the Jedi without stepping on any toes.

Splinters of the Minds Eye is one that will be dropped. It involves an encounter and fight between Luke and Vader where Luke cuts off his arm. Definitely will be scrapped given A. In ESB, Vader could ward off Luke with just one hand holding the lightsaber and B. Luke doesn't discover Vader has a robotic arm until Return of the Jedi, which is what got him to put the lightsaber down.

Dark Empire is one to debate since Palpatine is slated to appear as a Force ghost in the enw films.
Roadbuster
Faction Commander
Posts: 4476
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:23 pm

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 am

Roadbuster wrote:You know Burn, that was right about the time I started reading them as well.

Wasn't Travis the one who started offing characters left and right because she could so long as it wasn't a main char?

If so, she deserved it.

And Burn, not everything will be scrapped. I imagine a few of the titles between films that don't involve reunions that aren't supposed to take place until film, or non-film first encounters will eb fine. Truce at Bakura, the X-Wing series, Courtship of Princess leia, and Thrawn Trilogy should okay. Shadows of the Empire had a fricken game to go along with it and it did a pretty good job being a setup for Return of the Jedi without stepping on any toes.

Splinters of the Minds Eye is one that will be dropped. It involves an encounter and fight between Luke and Vader where Luke cuts off his arm. Definitely will be scrapped given A. In ESB, Vader could ward off Luke with just one hand holding the lightsaber and B. Luke doesn't discover Vader has a robotic arm until Return of the Jedi, which is what got him to put the lightsaber down.

Dark Empire is one to debate since Palpatine is slated to appear as a Force ghost in the enw films.


I don't know who you're thinking off, but it wasn't Travis. In ROTJ Luke puts his lightsaber down because he realizes what he is doing is wrong, it's why he gives the I'm a jedi like my father before me speech.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Roadbuster wrote:You know Burn, that was right about the time I started reading them as well.

Wasn't Travis the one who started offing characters left and right because she could so long as it wasn't a main char?

If so, she deserved it.


She killed off Mara Jade in a way that shouldn't have even worked on a Jedi, even though Timothy Zahn still wanted to use Mara. And she left because the Clone Wars didn't mesh with the EU the way she wanted to.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 am

George Lucas is an asshole, because it was Zahn who brought back Star Wars interest-which Lucas copied from-while at the same time disregarding. I think cutting out what is considered not-cannon, IE, inconsistent & low quality-is required.

Example; Lucas didn't delegate responsibilities in the prequels, but because he wasn't 25 years younger-wasn't able nor motivated-to* kill himself like he did with 'New Hope. Thus was a lazy effort.

Lucas should have hired Zahn to help him write, Spielberg to help him direct, found any number of awesome editors available then, ETC, ETC. In other words just been more careful and willing to admit that at 60+ he didn't have the energy to give to this, nor desired to give it.

This also shows in the novels-the expanded universe. There is so much crap there BECAUSE Lucas stopped caring at some point after the Special Edition. [I loved the SE, but yes, HAN SHOT 1ST!-hahaha! :lol: ]He wanted to make other things & really, he should have. Lucas should have just produced the prequels & given it to capable people, he knew he could've trusted, freeing him to make his other films. It's rather ironic that he will be making other things now & that he is free from this burden/trap of his opus.

The following is all many care about. [Abrams feels the same if you read his comments through the years about his favorite things-SW]. Really, these would make for good movies.

Image
The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton *1994


Timothy Zahn's-Thrawn Trilogy

Image
Heir to the Empire *1991

Image
Dark Force Rising *1992

Image

The Last Command *1993

Image
Image
Image




Image
Children of the Jedi by Barbara Hambly *1995
The two "Callista trilogy" sequels were terrible, sadly.



Timothy Zahn's-Hand of Thrawn Duology

Image

Specter of the Past *1997

Image

Vision of the Future *1998

Sadly, the Hand of Thrawn character, was never really revealed/tied-up. Zahn made other good SW stories. He came away more than a little disappointed, especially over Mara Jade, but hopefully Disney will bring him back. Choosing JJ is good, killing Lucas Arts is just stupid, & we will see what happens in the "correction". Disney did handle Marvel well, so, there are grounds to be positive/hopeful! :-?

Post script edit: "-wasn't able nor motivated-to*"
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 am

As much as I like the novels you have mentioned Tronus_Rex, I think I'd be more excited if they made movies out of the x wing series.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:25 pm

I would prefer X-Wings to any more-ridiculous & overdone-lightsaber fights, njb902.

Lightsabe Fightsaber Ep.V by Egoraptor

Lucas forgot that, lightsabers, used to be big & heavy pieces of tech. that projected a laser. More important that the fights were meant to further the plot instead of being a mindless piece of action-fat.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:41 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:Lucas forgot that, lightsabers, used to be big & heavy pieces of tech. that projected a laser.


Actually it's a fairly lightweight piece of tech that projects a stream of plasma suspended in a force field. The blade itself is weightless, which, with proper training, (Especially the enhanced reflexes and dexterity Jedi and Sith have) allows for extremely rapid attacks.

:-B
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Lucas forgot that, lightsabers, used to be big & heavy pieces of tech. that projected a laser.


Actually it's a fairly lightweight piece of tech that projects a stream of plasma suspended in a force field. The blade itself is weightless, which, with proper training, (Especially the enhanced reflexes and dexterity Jedi and Sith have) allows for extremely rapid attacks.

:-B


Image

If you go by Bob Anderson who helped Lucas create the lighstaber, before Georgie-poo rethought the icon in the 90's, you'd be wrong. Buuuuuut, we are talking about a very updated/corrected/tweaked/retconned, Star Wars, so you're correct and also Greedo shot first-not Han-hahaha! :lol:

Image

Greedo Shot First by samtung @ Deviantart

I jest, but seriously, Lucas's revision is based on Hollywood/movie fantasy, & not tried/tested sword physics.

Lucas's idea and execution for the lightsaber in the 90's and since completely changed the original he made. In the 70's & 80's, you can see he had different ideas & thinking. When you review much of his thoughts/comments from the 70's & 80's to the 90's & today, you see the contrast. IE, Lucas is beyond inconsistent.

A feather weight-ultimate cutting weapon has a flaw. Without the heft or gravity behind your strike or slash you can't do much but parry & thrust in defense & your ability to cut is diminished.

Image

Samurai Sugar by kassarts @ Deviantart

The first lightsabers from IV, V, & VI weren't treated as rapiers, but instead as night's swords or samurai katanas, equivalent as a laser sword. Longswords, broadswords, bastard swords, claymores, ETC, very in weight from 2 LBS to 4 & 5 LBS. Japanese katanas are VERY similar in weight. If you think of a lightsaber, from from the 1st films, they were deliberately equated as hand-and-a-half swords or two handers. Katanas had a similar feel. You can one hand either, or use both hands.

Lucas revised the lightsaber in to something more like a rapier after the first 3 movies.

There's a misconception that, cutting power alone, would make up for everything, HOWEVER, without weight to back up such a weapon, the wielder would not be able to block as well.

Image

I was inspired by the likes of Bob Anderson. Bob, who helped make the lightsaber, & I picked up medieval martial arts, about 5 years ago, thanks in great deal to him. I've talked with my friends about this topic.

You can treat the 1st trilogy as heavier blades, & almost get away in the new trilogy-as rapiers.

Image

Lucas's revision, is based in fantasy, and not physics. If the lightsaber is like a rapier or an estoc, than it would be best for thrusting/stabbing & not much slashing. Also, another tool in the off-hand is essential as two handing a rapier doesn't do much good. A small shield [or force-field], or dagger [laser-dagger], is good for this. But using two hands for a featherweight rapier? It does almost no good, especially when the ability to slash is, theoretically, coming from the light/laser.

Katanas can stab & pierce too but they still have the required weight to be stable for slashing, BUT a lightsaber has a fraction of that & thus lacks a needed stability to be used, as such. I'm sure it's ability to slash could be helped by it's impossible blade. Still, much of the moves done in the prequels are just ridiculous for something so light.

A solution for the lightsaber is to not treat it as simple plasma, for you'd be burn to death just by proximity. Instead the light blade would need to be a type of energy, with properties of both matter & energy, similar to plasma, HOWEVER, with actual weight/gravity/mass in the blade. This would solve MANY issues of stability & balance * solve much of Lucas's tech/physics delenmas in explaining the icon. It would have the ability to be a rapier, or, more like a heavier blade.

[If you want me to back up everything I've said with ref. I will ask that you, instead, watch "The People VS George Lucas". In regards to the Bob Anderson lighstaber thing, I could reference it by searching online, it would just take time, because you see, what I already have is in ancient magazines & books IE hard-copy :sad: ...However, :D I can gladly reference my sword physics online, if you request.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:I jest, but seriously, Lucas's revision is based on Hollywood/movie fantasy, & not tried/tested sword physics.


Probably because he realized how weird it would be if a sword made of plasma weighed the same as a sword made of metal.

Tronus_Rex wrote:A feather weight-ultimate cutting weapon has a flaw. Without the heft or gravity behind your strike or slash you can't do much but parry & thrust in defense & your ability to cut is diminished.



Unless it was a high-heat plasma weapon, like, I don't know, a lightsaber maybe? There's a reason turning it on is refereed to as "igniting."

Tronus_Rex wrote:A solution for the lightsaber is to not treat it as simple plasma, for you'd be burn to death just by proximity.


Did I not tell you it was contained in a force field? Preeeeeeeetty sure I did.


Tronus_Rex wrote:Lucas's revision, is based in fantasy, and not physics.


Revision? That implies it was ever based on realism. Did Obi-Wan talking about the Force not clue you in that physics don't actually apply here? Or did you simply delude yourself into believing that Star Wars wasn't actually a swords-and-sorcery fantasy set in space?
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Lucas's revision, is based in fantasy, and not physics.


Revision? That implies it was ever based on realism. Did Obi-Wan talking about the Force not clue you in that physics don't actually apply here? Or did you simply delude yourself into believing that Star Wars wasn't actually a swords-and-sorcery fantasy set in space?


Image

Maybe not realism, but as character archetypes for a fantasy story; the Jedi were Knights-KNIGHTS!!! You really fail to catch that fact? There was a reason Lucas AND Anderson chose a heavier sword movement & action, in the original trilogies duels. The Jedi were not muskateers - they were knights influenced by samurai. Knights used swords with weight & gravity. Musketeers used stabbing-featherweight rapiers. The action was deliberately chosen to reflect the heavy sword a knight would wield.

As a story, Lucas HAS revised a significant amount of the first films. In that regard - Lucas revised more than just the lightsaber.

Come-on Shadman, do I need to say-DUH!-to you? Then again, how old are you Shad'? This might be a generation thing. If so, then don't believe everything Lucas has been saying after the Special Edition, because it does not reflect his production of the original films.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:Maybe not realism, but as character archetypes for a fantasy story; the Jedi were Knights-KNIGHTS!!! You really fail to catch that fact? There was a reason Lucas AND Anderson chose a heavier sword movement & action, in the original trilogies duels. The Jedi were not muskateers - they were knights influenced by samurai. Knights used swords with weight & gravity. Musketeers used stabbing-featherweight rapiers. The action was deliberately chosen to reflect the heavy sword a knight would wield.


And Jedi and Sith use weightless blades made out of plasma. The fact that you think the same rules apply here are astounding.

Also, do you know what the Jedi and Sith were aside from knights? Psychics. Crazy psychic powers, all around. Telekinesis, precognition, mind-reading, mind control, shooting lightning from their hands, astral projection, the works. They were not, nor were they ever, traditional knights. They're psychic-powered monks using weightless energy blades.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Maybe not realism, but as character archetypes for a fantasy story; the Jedi were Knights-KNIGHTS!!! You really fail to catch that fact? There was a reason Lucas AND Anderson chose a heavier sword movement & action, in the original trilogies duels. The Jedi were not muskateers - they were knights influenced by samurai. Knights used swords with weight & gravity. Musketeers used stabbing-featherweight rapiers. The action was deliberately chosen to reflect the heavy sword a knight would wield.


And Jedi and Sith use weightless blades made out of plasma. The fact that you think the same rules apply here are astounding.

Also, do you know what the Jedi and Sith were aside from knights? Psychics. Crazy psychic powers, all around. Telekinesis, precognition, mind-reading, mind control, shooting lightning from their hands, astral projection, the works. They were not, nor were they ever, traditional knights. They're psychic-powered monks using weightless energy blades.


Okay, Shad', pick a direction to argue this from, either as a story or as realism.

As a story, when viewing the direction & blocking of the duels, IE, choreography in the first films, it's slow and deliberate. Lucas's own words along with Anderson's reflect-heavy pieces of tech that were treated as knight/samurai swords. The sorcery is just another part of it. It's another fantasy element, very common in that type of film. It fits with knights & princesses, wizards & evil armies. Doesn't matter what you call it. Jedi were also wizards. The emperor an evil sorcerer. Vader a black knight. By the way, Vader wasn't as important until Lucas realized how much money he was worth & retconned that as well. >:oP

I was coming at the lightsaber argument, to illustrate how Lucas let LS fighting become a distraction, & that he thought of them as heavy weapons from '77 to '83. I was calling his BS as I literally train with swords thanks to Bob Anderson. Bob influenced countless others in the last 20 years to do the same. So I know what I'm talking about :roll:

Lucas changed his mind, he did with Vader, with Han, & countless other things, including changing/altering a film to begin. The points about realism was just me bringing together countless other discussions, from TV and websites, about the lightsaber in general. So, as for realism, it cannot work as a plasma weapon, nor as a laser, [I know that's the same thing] this is has already been stated by real physicists. I even offered a better solution than plasma, but you didn't want to acknowledge it.

My point is as a story, how the lightsaber is executed on screen, and it's intent. Realism, yeah, as I said many times now, it's an impossible blade. Otherwise my problems with the prequels are that the duels are just action, candy, no longer used to drive the story. And for myself and others influenced by films like SW and Anderson, I see the difference. Lucas should have chosen a Musketeer style of blocking/choreography, which he didn't, instead he used things like tennis [no joke] & CG.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:Okay, Shad', pick a direction to argue this from, either as a story or as realism.


Well, seeing as realism shouldn't be spoken of in this regard, let's go with story.

Tronus_Rex wrote:it cannot work as a plasma weapon, nor as a laser, [I know that's the same thing]


They're not the same thing.

Tronus_Rex wrote:My point is as a story, how the lightsaber is executed on screen, and it's intent. Realism, yeah, as I said many times now, it's an impossible blade. Otherwise my problems with the prequels are that the duels are just action, candy, no longer used to drive the story.


The duels were always just action and fluff. It's just with the prequels, Lucas decided to stop pretending there's realism and just go for what looks coolest.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Okay, Shad', pick a direction to argue this from, either as a story or as realism.


Well, seeing as realism shouldn't be spoken of in this regard, let's go with story.

Tronus_Rex wrote:it cannot work as a plasma weapon, nor as a laser, [I know that's the same thing]


They're not the same thing.


Yes they are Shad', a laser is a short for electrolaser which is a type of plasma, not just "hot" light. I'm sure you can check an encyclopedia to see for yourself.

Tronus_Rex wrote:My point is as a story, how the lightsaber is executed on screen, and it's intent. Realism, yeah, as I said many times now, it's an impossible blade. Otherwise my problems with the prequels are that the duels are just action, candy, no longer used to drive the story.


The duels were always just action and fluff. It's just with the prequels, Lucas decided to stop pretending there's realism and just go for what looks coolest.


I don't agree given Lucas's own comments from the 80's, as well as other directors from SW, and what other people have said. As for Lucas's for the shift, well that has to do with other things I mentioned. You may be right in that he literally thought his laser sword duels were not appreciated, so he just made them as crazy as he could.
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:Yes they are Shad', a laser is a short for electrolaser which is a type of plasma, not just "hot" light. I'm sure you can check an encyclopedia to see for yourself.


It's short for "Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation." Way to fail. Again. you probably should have checked an encyclopedia yourself.

Tronus_Rex wrote:You may be right in that he literally thought his laser sword duels were not appreciated, so he just made them as crazy as he could.


I am. Good fundamentals aren't as fun to watch as stylized action.

As for revisions, it was Lucas's universe, after all. he was free to make changes and revisions as he saw fit. In fact, that's why he left, all the fans who had too much self-entitlement that who thought it wasn't his story and he had no right to tell it how he wanted.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Tronus_Rex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Yes they are Shad', a laser is a short for electrolaser which is a type of plasma, not just "hot" light. I'm sure you can check an encyclopedia to see for yourself.


It's short for "Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation." Way to fail. Again. you probably should have checked an encyclopedia yourself.


Fail nothing Shad'-haha!-in the context of a weapons, or weaponized lasers, proper term is electrolaser, electron coming before l.a.s.e.r. & also being the full term. You read the cleaned up version of l.a.s.e.r., which most people don't know. Electron light amplification stimulation emission radiation & it's twin photon light amplification stimulation emission radiation, or ;) phaser.

[Addition after checking again on: "phaser"] I just looked at a favorite book of mine for sci-fi related tech. Laser, electrolaser, phaser, ETC. aren't the only fun beams of focused death-radiatioin :lol: they're are more :-B

I double checked when I read, phaser, which made me wonder because, it drops the "L" & adds "Ph" for photon. Phaser isn't just simply charged photons, that's something different, anyway-I won't bore you further, but the first idea for lasers used electron, photon, & a few more atoms, when created. Point is we were both right and wrong, just inaccurate.

When talking about something as simple as a laser from a pointer or a targeter, then yes, you're correct, as focused light it's just laser. But in the context of a lightsaber which is a weapon, electrolaser is the correct term as well as the full term. [-PS Edit: because it's a plasma based laser, which fits Lucas's impossible explanation :lol: }
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

Image


http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
User avatar
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Phasers fire a nadion particle beam.


Guys don't forget the technological advances from the mid 1970 's to the mid 2000's. There was just so much Lucas couldn't do in episode 1 that he could do in episode 6.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Phasers fire a nadion particle beam.


Guys don't forget the technological advances from the mid 1970 's to the mid 2000's. There was just so much Lucas couldn't do in episode 1 that he could do in episode 6.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Burn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

njb902 wrote:As much as I like the novels you have mentioned Tronus_Rex, I think I'd be more excited if they made movies out of the x wing series.


Especially Wraith Squadron. I love those guys, the Ewok most of all. :lol:
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!

Did I win the bet? Vote now!
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38119
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:[-PS Edit: because it's a plasma based laser, which fits Lucas's impossible explanation :lol: }


It wouldn't be science fiction if it didn't include impossible explanations, now would it?
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby njb902 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Burn wrote:
njb902 wrote:As much as I like the novels you have mentioned Tronus_Rex, I think I'd be more excited if they made movies out of the x wing series.


Especially Wraith Squadron. I love those guys, the Ewok most of all. :lol:


When Wedge had to wear the ewok into combat it made me giggle.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Lucasfulm/Disney to trim the Star Wars EU tree into more cohesive timeline between films

Postby Shadowman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Tronus_Rex wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Tronus_Rex wrote:Yes they are Shad', a laser is a short for electrolaser which is a type of plasma, not just "hot" light. I'm sure you can check an encyclopedia to see for yourself.


It's short for "Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation." Way to fail. Again. you probably should have checked an encyclopedia yourself.


Fail nothing Shad'-haha!-in the context of a weapons, or weaponized lasers, proper term is electrolaser, electron coming before l.a.s.e.r. & also being the full term. You read the cleaned up version of l.a.s.e.r., which most people don't know. Electron light amplification stimulation emission radiation & it's twin photon light amplification stimulation emission radiation, or ;) phaser.

[Addition after checking again on: "phaser"] I just looked at a favorite book of mine for sci-fi related tech. Laser, electrolaser, phaser, ETC. aren't the only fun beams of focused death-radiatioin :lol: they're are more :-B

I double checked when I read, phaser, which made me wonder because, it drops the "L" & adds "Ph" for photon. Phaser isn't just simply charged photons, that's something different, anyway-I won't bore you further, but the first idea for lasers used electron, photon, & a few more atoms, when created. Point is we were both right and wrong, just inaccurate.

When talking about something as simple as a laser from a pointer or a targeter, then yes, you're correct, as focused light it's just laser. But in the context of a lightsaber which is a weapon, electrolaser is the correct term as well as the full term. [-PS Edit: because it's a plasma based laser, which fits Lucas's impossible explanation :lol: }


A bit of a necrobump, but I actually went and looked up what an electrolaser is.

An electrolaser works by firing a normal laser, heating the surrouonding air into plasma, then firing an electrical current down the plasma channel. Turning into a high-heat, long-range version of a taser gun.

You are, once again, confusing multiple terms for one another.

Oh, and the concept of a stick of plasma in a force field? That's not Lucas's explanation. Probably should have said that sooner, but I kind of liked watching you blame him for stuff he never actually said.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28795
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Next

Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014