Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby D-340 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Burn wrote:Care to point out exactly where people have said you're wrong?

I don't see it. I sure as heck don't think it. You just have an opinion that's different to mine. Doesn't make you wrong. Doesn't make me wrong either. Makes us human.

People seem to have trouble grasping that concept.


Ain't gotta say "You're wrong for disliking the movies", just everyone who loves the movies rips everything those who don't to shreds. That's what happened here. Hell, I don't care, ain't gotta play nice, but really. Everyone is all like "Those who hate the movies can't see the other side of the argument", yet anyone who voices an opinion other than "I LOVE MICHAEL BAY AND ALL HIS GREAT MOVIES!" gets torn down. That's the thing on both side, no one wants to hear the others opinion. But hey, y'all wanna give ol jack ass Bay Boy your hard earned money so he can keep tea bagging you with wrecking ball sized testicles(what vehicle on Devastator had wrecking balls? Oh that's right, none, Bay told the animators to do it cuz he thought it was funny. This is your director.) I for one refuse. And god forbid me from doing anything but unconditionally loving the drek that Bay continues to crap down the movie going public's throat.

Oh, and to answer your question on what else do we have? How's about nearly 30 years of fiction in cartoon and comic form? Yeah, I'll be watching and reading that, and not just the dreaded GEEWUN(god forbid any Transformers fan likes that, makes us elitist tools).
Image

"Consider the knowledge dropped."
From ToplessRobot.com:• "Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is marginally better than sh***ing your pants, but it takes a lot longer." Very well put.
D-340
Gestalt
Posts: 2096
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 am
Location: Joliet, Il.

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby RhA » Wed May 01, 2013 4:11 pm

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
I just don't see how someone should spend so much time on something they don't like.
Image
Latest TF: Generations Bumblebee and Blazemaster, G1 Dreadwing & G1 Darkwind.
User avatar
RhA
City Commander
Posts: 3955
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Underwhere
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby njb902 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:28 pm

RhA wrote:I just don't see how someone should spend so much time on something they don't like.


I think it goes like this.

1. I don't like something.
2. If i don't like it no one else should.
3. I will find some kind of forum to vent my spleen about it.
4. People disagree with me...... HOW DARE THEY!
5. I will call down lighting from the heavens to inashinate the disbelievers!
6. This is only a test, had this been a real travesty you would be given instructions on how to take the internet seriously, this has been only a test.

People from both sides of this can be rather extreme. Some likes the movies, some don't, and most are ambivalent. I have no fault with anyone not liking the movies, hell I hate ROTF, I do have fault with people telling me my opinion is wrong.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2564
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby Capt.Failure » Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 pm

D-340 wrote:Ain't gotta say "You're wrong for disliking the movies", just everyone who loves the movies rips everything those who don't to shreds. That's what happened here. Hell, I don't care, ain't gotta play nice, but really. Everyone is all like "Those who hate the movies can't see the other side of the argument", yet anyone who voices an opinion other than "I LOVE MICHAEL BAY AND ALL HIS GREAT MOVIES!" gets torn down. That's the thing on both side, no one wants to hear the others opinion. But hey, y'all wanna give ol jack ass Bay Boy your hard earned money so he can keep tea bagging you with wrecking ball sized testicles(what vehicle on Devastator had wrecking balls? Oh that's right, none, Bay told the animators to do it cuz he thought it was funny. This is your director.) I for one refuse. And god forbid me from doing anything but unconditionally loving the drek that Bay continues to crap down the movie going public's throat.


Funny response since the people who hate the films are the first to show up and tell those who enjoyed them that they're stupid and wrong for doing so. Pulling the persecution card for your viewpoint is like Tim Tebow recently getting mad he's not praised for being Christian while Jason Collins got praised for coming out.

Oh, and to answer your question on what else do we have? How's about nearly 30 years of fiction in cartoon and comic form? Yeah, I'll be watching and reading that, and not just the dreaded GEEWUN(god forbid any Transformers fan likes that, makes us elitist tools).


You can't compress 30 years worth of Transformers fiction into one movie, just like you can't compress all of Superman or Batman's fiction into one movie or movie series.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby D-340 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Capt.Failure wrote:
D-340 wrote:Ain't gotta say "You're wrong for disliking the movies", just everyone who loves the movies rips everything those who don't to shreds. That's what happened here. Hell, I don't care, ain't gotta play nice, but really. Everyone is all like "Those who hate the movies can't see the other side of the argument", yet anyone who voices an opinion other than "I LOVE MICHAEL BAY AND ALL HIS GREAT MOVIES!" gets torn down. That's the thing on both side, no one wants to hear the others opinion. But hey, y'all wanna give ol jack ass Bay Boy your hard earned money so he can keep tea bagging you with wrecking ball sized testicles(what vehicle on Devastator had wrecking balls? Oh that's right, none, Bay told the animators to do it cuz he thought it was funny. This is your director.) I for one refuse. And god forbid me from doing anything but unconditionally loving the drek that Bay continues to crap down the movie going public's throat.


Funny response since the people who hate the films are the first to show up and tell those who enjoyed them that they're stupid and wrong for doing so. Pulling the persecution card for your viewpoint is like Tim Tebow recently getting mad he's not praised for being Christian while Jason Collins got praised for coming out.



I never said anyone was wrong for liking the movies, nor did Burn say I was wrong for disliking them(for the record, I did enjoy most of the first one, as well as about an hour of DOTM). Just a typical knee jerk reaction for those who love the movies unconditionally love them to anyone who has a differing opinion. Am I being persecuted? Sweet Jesus, it's an internet forum, I'm not so petty. Whatever. Done here. Continue on, so y'all can have the last word.
Image

"Consider the knowledge dropped."
From ToplessRobot.com:• "Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is marginally better than sh***ing your pants, but it takes a lot longer." Very well put.
D-340
Gestalt
Posts: 2096
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:08 am
Location: Joliet, Il.

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby Capt.Failure » Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 pm

D-340 wrote:I never said anyone was wrong for liking the movies, nor did Burn say I was wrong for disliking them(for the record, I did enjoy most of the first one, as well as about an hour of DOTM). Just a typical knee jerk reaction for those who love the movies unconditionally love them to anyone who has a differing opinion. Am I being persecuted? Sweet Jesus, it's an internet forum, I'm not so petty. Whatever. Done here. Continue on, so y'all can have the last word.


No you didn't call them wrong for enjoying the films, you called them delusional. You insinuated that the only reason they enjoy the films is because they're brainwashed or too stupid to realize they don't really enjoy what they're watching.

With context like that you might as well have called them wrong though.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby Burn » Wed May 01, 2013 6:31 pm

D-340, to say that those who support the movies mock and ridicule and denegrate those who criticise the movies is correct.

HOWEVER ... it works in reverse as well. In fact if anything, it is those that dislike the movies are more vocal about their dislike of the movies.

As a staff member, I can tell you now that we've had to remove more movie haters than movie supporters from this site because of their lack of respect towards the differing opinions of others.

Trust me, it happens both ways. Neither side is innocent or immune.
Image
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38208
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby xyl360 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am

Wow, I haven't been to this thread since I posted my initial comment back on page one, but after reading through some of it I kinda regret saying what I did. It was a total joke and honestly I was NOT trying to inspire some ****** 'Batman Trilogy' vs 'Transformers Trilogy' or 'Bay' vs 'Nolan' debate. It was clearly a joke that many of you just couldn't take for what it was. I mean come on guys, I sarcastically mentioned being in the Shattered Glass universe.

I took a shot at Bay, sure. I don't particularly like his style nor the writing of the TF movies, but I enjoyed them for what they are. I feel they could have been better and likely would have had they not been driven by the desire to be massive summer blockbusters (which drives down the IQ of most films dramatically, which is why a director like Michael Bay was chosen to begin with, as those are the types of films that the guy's good at), but I also know that not all of it was his fault. There were writers, producers and tons of others along the way who made creative decisions about the movies that all impacted how they turned out.

I was just giving the guy (who likely will never read this topic anyway) a hard time.

I'm sorry that my comment inspired so many arguments on here and for the record, I NEVER said that I was stating a fact so I don't know why that was even mentioned. I was clearly just goofing around.

I saw the first 3 films and I'm sure I'll see the 4th (though I did wait until DotM came out on video before seeing it as I was quite disappointed at what I got for paying the $10 to see the second film, but again, I know the writer's strike had a lot to do with that film's issues).

I frankly don't care if they do more or less fanservice in TF4, I just hope that whatever they do, I find it to be entertaining and worth seeing more so than the previous 3. I think that the elements they chose for fanservice were poor choices in the first 3 films for the most part. Characterization would have been a great nod to the fans, instead we got plot nods. I'm sorry, but deriving plots from an old, cheap syndicated TV show which was designed for nothing more than selling toys for a major motion picture was a bad idea. The Ultimate Doom doesn't work for a live action film, especially when you portray what's likely to occur when another planet enters Earth's orbit even LESS realistically than the old cartoon did (gravitational effects, altered weather patterns etc.).

The fan nods could have been (and should be in my opinion) a lot more subtle. Whatever Bay does with this next film, I really hope that he breaks out of the box he's been in with the first 3 and tries something, anything different. The characters don't need to look like 'G1', but it would be nice if they were more distinctive onscreen so that I can easily tell them apart from one another when in bot mode, and I think that will happen anyway since Hasbro's been talking about simplifying the designs of their toys.

I'm also as big a fan of a goofy, off the wall teen comedy as the next guy, and I even love toilet humor and sex jokes, but trying to pull that stuff off in a film that's also trying to be a movie about serious drama and conflict/war, just doesn't work and creates a very jarring, uneven tone for the film in my opinion. I mean hell, the ads for all 3 TF films make them seem like they're these great, dramatic sci-fi action films where the entire world's at stake, but the dialog and characters, even when in the middle of this oh so dramatic plot, acting like they're on South Park or in American Pie just doesn't work well, at least not for me.

But yeah, that's all just my opinion, so please don't start another war over my silly words like you guys did my first post. As many of you have already stated, this stuff is just a matter of opinions, and I've stated mine, and that's all it is. I cannot be proven right, cannot prove myself right, and cannot be proven wrong because it's all a matter of taste.
Image
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
User avatar
xyl360
Gestalt
Posts: 2996
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
xyl360 wrote:I'm also as big a fan of a goofy, off the wall teen comedy as the next guy, and I even love toilet humor and sex jokes, but trying to pull that stuff off in a film that's also trying to be a movie about serious drama and conflict/war, just doesn't work and creates a very jarring, uneven tone for the film in my opinion. I mean hell, the ads for all 3 TF films make them seem like they're these great, dramatic sci-fi action films where the entire world's at stake, but the dialog and characters, even when in the middle of this oh so dramatic plot, acting like they're on South Park or in American Pie just doesn't work well, at least not for me.


My thoughts exactly.

I'm a fan of The Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and South Park myself, but IMO this kind of humor just doesn't gel with the TF movies. Like you said, they're setting up all this super-serious military and alien war stuff, but on the other hand, you've got looney characters like Jerry Wang, Leo and the parents acting like jackasses and government agents trying too hard to be funny.

I'll let Malkovich's character slide since he wasn't that bad, although the kungfu thing was kind of overdoing it.

The only ones I found acceptably were the NEST soldiers. They acted within character, and the humor wasn't overbearing.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2213
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby xyl360 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 am

SKYWARPED_128 wrote:The only ones I found acceptably were the NEST soldiers. They acted within character, and the humor wasn't overbearing.

Agreed, in fact, out of all the human characters in the films, they were the best by far in my opinion. Had the movies just been about the military (those guys) fighting alongside the Autobots to defeat the invading Decepticons, that would have made for some great films in my opinion, and after seeing the first film, I'd hoped that that's exactly what they were going to do with the sequels. Sadly it wasn't meant to be.

Hopefully with an action star like Mark Wahlberg in the mix we'll get something more along those lines this time. He plays the role of soldier well, and can definitely pull off funny one-liners without killing the dramatic tone of a serious film (though he can play a total goof well too, I just hope they don't go that route for TF4).
Image
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
User avatar
xyl360
Gestalt
Posts: 2996
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 am

Re: Michael Bay Talks Transformers 4

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
xyl360 wrote:Agreed, in fact, out of all the human characters in the films, they were the best by far in my opinion. Had the movies just been about the military (those guys) fighting alongside the Autobots to defeat the invading Decepticons, that would have made for some great films in my opinion, and after seeing the first film, I'd hoped that that's exactly what they were going to do with the sequels. Sadly it wasn't meant to be.


I certainly agree. The three TF films would have been so much more palatable for me at least if it just consisted of Lennox, Epps and the rest of their squad.

Unfortunately, Lord Steven of Spielberg wanted the story to be about a boy and his car, so the whole story was "urbanized", but IMO, Bay doesn't do urban too well. He's much better at movies with macho main characters.

xyl360 wrote:Hopefully with an action star like Mark Wahlberg in the mix we'll get something more along those lines this time. He plays the role of soldier well, and can definitely pull off funny one-liners without killing the dramatic tone of a serious film (though he can play a total goof well too, I just hope they don't go that route for TF4).


Yeah, Walhberg is a great choice to star in TF4. He's pretty good playing the action hero role, and is a decent actor overall. Definitely a welcome change from Shia's disgruntled teen comedy schtick.

And yeah, I hope he doesn't go the goof route, too. I've had enough of goofy comedy from those three movies.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2213
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Previous

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014