Okay, waaaaaay sooner than I had thought, I've been able to put together this nice little gallery of my latest project, a Micromaster version of the G1 Stunticon, Breakdown.
Basically, I took a G1 MM Freewheeler, chopped him up, gave him a spoiler and a new head, and painted him accordingly; you can see my "Work In Progress" thread for him here
This is what it was all about for me: Making a vehicle mode that looked good (if I may say so myself).
The red stripe on the roof is not present on the original toy, no, but was seen originally on the prototype, and since I love the red on the hood, I figured I might as well give him that on the roof as well. Makes him look sleeker IMO.
My absolute favourite picture; gotta love this angle. Sure, some of the surfaces are a bit rough, but keep in mind that this is on a very small scale. The lower front bumber is done in putty, BTW.
Comparison with the original (1990 Classic release). The hood on mine has faded a bit, but other than that, the colors are a perfect match. The repaint has a bit sharper angles than the original, though, but that doesn't really bother me.
Top view. There's a small gap in the hind section which I suspect is because of the paint coats messing with the clearance between the leg halves.
Underside. Nothing fancy here, just generic Micromaster engineering.
Robot mode. Note that the head is not original, but from a decepticon MM plane of sorts. Fitted Breakdown better than Freewheeler's own, IMHO, so I cut off the original and fused this one on instead.
Back view. The backside of his head is a bit messy, I know (can't really remember why anymore, come to think of it...), but this shot is mainly to show that the MM version has the same backpack kibble as the original.
When you get as close as this, you can see all the messiness. The white sections of the torso are molded in putty and came out nicely, I think. The face's mold detailing is a bit obscured, because I initially used both paint thinner and ethanol to remove the old paint from it, which softened the plastics. Sadly, it was the only head I had, so I kinda had to go on anyways. Again, you aren't supposed to look *that* closely...
Another comparison pic. The chest is sculpted and painted after his cartoon/Marvel comic appearance (reference pic here
), and the legs inevitably had to look like this. So maybe robot mode isn't as spot on as it could have been, but I initially set out on this project with 2 basic rules in mind:
1) Authentic looking vehicle mode, and
2) Basic G1 MM engineering (no fancy balljoints, etc.).
Keep watching the above mentioned thread for the development of the remaining Stunticons!...