I try to spend about $30 a month. Though, I suppose that all depends on your income, disposable income, and dependents. I bought Metroplex and I am glad that I got him. It is a good buy. I still have toys that I played with from 1984. I have some sealed Beast Wars. But what makes me the most happy are current Generations toys.
MISB works well for Marvel and Anime, it keeps the dust off of them, they are easy to dust, and they act as a nice display. If I had lots of money and space I would buy two Transformers, one to keep in the box and one to open. Most of us on the site collect for the love of Transformers and not to retain the monetary value, meaning we open the boxes. It is hard, but for Transformers it is the thing to do. They are part action figure, part alt mode, and part puzzle. You aren’t experiencing the whole toy unless you transform it. Additionally, being able to display it in robot mode or alt mode is a lot of fun. And you can change it through out the year, you really do get two toys in one. I can have a flight squadron for six months and then I have eight infantry units with jetpacks for the next six months. You don’t need too many vintage figures because the new ones look great. I stick with Hasbro, an occasional Takara when Hasbro doesn’t deliver, and I don’t buy 3rd party toys.
• Lots of Generations like you are doing. Springer and Sandstorm are incredible figures if you don’t already have them.
• MP Grimlock (I don’t have money or space for a lot of MPs and most of them will be out of scale, but Grimlock fits well with deluxes)
• Jetfire Classics and or G1 Jetfire
• Beast Wars Transmetal (I love this line, great toys, many look as good as current Generations)
• Seekers Generations
• Scourge Cybertron – (the best dragon Transformer ever made, simple transformation but awesome figure)
• Big Convoy – Beast Wars Neo – He is being licensed in Korea or somewhere and is 100% legitimate, and at a very reasonable price since they are producing him now. Yes he is a shell former (you have to have at least one) but he is a wooly mammoth in beast mode, and he is Prime in robot mode, and looks awesome, he has a good Matrix that can come out, a ton of weapons, and is overall awesome!