Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Only GM cars in the movie?

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Only GM cars in the movie?

Postby Excellion » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:01 pm

I've been researching the new alternate modes for both the Autobots and Decepticons from the new film (I'm a big car fan) and have just realised something. Were we not told that only cars from General Motors car lines were going to be used? For the most part this seems correct, with Ratchet (Hummer), Ironhide (GMC), Jazz (Pontiac) and Bumblebee (Chevrolet) all being GM vehicles. But what about Barricade? He transforms into a Ford Mustang (a very cool one at that!) and last I heard Ford wasn't part of the GM group, although I could be mistaken! Can anyone shed some light on all this?

This also got me thinking about sequels (I know far too soon!) but if GM continue to corner the market so to speak, will this not cause problems with new Autobot characters? I want to see bots like Wheeljack and Tracks with cool car modes, yet I don't think Chevrolet or Pontiac have enough modern cool-looking sports cars to use (again I could be wrong!) They could always use the latest Corvette (of Alternator Tracks and Swerve fame!) and if that new Pontiac GTO ever sees the light of day it would be suitable too, but where to go from there?
Excellion

Postby Gierling » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:55 pm

All protagonists are GM because GM was very quick on the ball when VW denied the use of their cars (which also includes Porsche)

They sealed up a deal for all the protagonists they could.

As far as Barricade goes, no one really pays money to have the bad guy endorse your product...
Gierling
Minibot
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:08 pm

Postby DUDEATRICE » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:00 pm

Barricade is a Saleen Mustang. Not Ford.
DUDEATRICE
Micromaster
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Postby Barricade » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Motto: ""to punish and enslave...""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
DUDEATRICE wrote:Barricade is a Saleen Mustang. Not Ford.
it is a ford mustang its just saleen edition mustang....... like a rouche focus...... or a shelby mustang....or like the dodge's srt line.... oh and bumblebee is a saleen edition camero.... they basically are souped up and have bodykits
Image
User avatar
Barricade
Gestalt
Posts: 2257
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: Ramstein AB, Germany
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 3
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Whisper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Cujo wrote:
DUDEATRICE wrote:Barricade is a Saleen Mustang. Not Ford.
it is a ford mustang its just saleen edition mustang....... like a rouche focus...... or a shelby mustang....or like the dodge's srt line.... oh and bumblebee is a saleen edition camero.... they basically are souped up and have bodykits

IIRC, Saleen Mustangs are scratchbuilt on their own production line (Saleen is officially an OEM), not modified stockers, hence no Ford badges or Mustang horses...
Image
User avatar
Whisper
Gestalt
Posts: 2612
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 7:09 pm

Postby AbsumZer0 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Are there a lot of police departments in the U.S. that issue Saleen Mustangs as cruisers? Police officers usually don't take law enforcement impersonation lightly. I mean, I'm sure the decorations would be a dead-giveaway anyhow but if you're trying to blend in it would seem about as sensible as painting flames on your big-rig.
AbsumZer0
Pretender
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Postby GrimlockZ28 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 am

Cujo wrote:
DUDEATRICE wrote:Barricade is a Saleen Mustang. Not Ford.
it is a ford mustang its just saleen edition mustang....... like a rouche focus...... or a shelby mustang....or like the dodge's srt line.... oh and bumblebee is a saleen edition camero.... they basically are souped up and have bodykits


Bumblebee in the movie isn't a Saleen Camaro, there is no such animal. Bumblebee is just a straight 2009 Camaro (although technically they only exist as prototypes, so Bumblebee is actually a Camaro body on a GTO).
GrimlockZ28
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Postby Phategod1 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 am

on topic Bay used to do commercials for GM in that last POS he had a cadillac concept car the Cien. I dont know if Bay even approached any other manufacturers for the Autobots. Interesting note there are other exotic cars in one scene I.E. lamborghini and such but the Autobots except for prime's peterbuilt are all GM.
My gamer tag is PHATEGODPRIME Im too lazy to put the little fancy one here.
Phategod1
Godmaster
Posts: 1599
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 am

Postby Excellion » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:26 pm

GrimlockZ28 wrote:
Cujo wrote:
DUDEATRICE wrote:Barricade is a Saleen Mustang. Not Ford.
it is a ford mustang its just saleen edition mustang....... like a rouche focus...... or a shelby mustang....or like the dodge's srt line.... oh and bumblebee is a saleen edition camero.... they basically are souped up and have bodykits


Bumblebee in the movie isn't a Saleen Camaro, there is no such animal. Bumblebee is just a straight 2009 Camaro (although technically they only exist as prototypes, so Bumblebee is actually a Camaro body on a GTO).


I knew about Barricade but I was lead to believe that Saleen was a tuning company that mearly modified cars and thus the Mustang is, at it's core, a Ford vehicle. Quote from Wikipedia: "Most of Saleen's vehicles are modified versions of existing mass produced sports cars such as the Ford Mustang. Saleen has produced over 8,000 modified Mustangs since its inception. It also produces modified versions of the Ford Focus and other Ford models."

I know Bumblebee is the current Camaro concept car due to enter mass production in towards the end of 2008 for sale in 2009.

What I don't know much about is Prime's truck mode. Some sites list him as a Kenworth, while others have (just like Phategod1 has said) listed him as a Peterbilt. Are these trucks the same with different names depending on region? Or is it the same case as with Barricade, where the truck was originally mass produced by one company and then modified by another?
Excellion

Postby DUDEATRICE » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 pm

So you basically resolved the argument.

Ford does not build the Saleen mustang so it's not a Ford.

Saleen modifies the car and makes it it's own. Therefore it's a Saleen mustang. Not Ford.

Just because Mission modifies the original Rollerblade design doesn't make it still a Rollerblade...see where I'm going?
DUDEATRICE
Micromaster
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Postby ganymede2010 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:03 am

Here's another theory. Since GM knew that Bay wanted to use the Concept Camaro really bad. They probably insisted that he used GM vehiciles for the other autobots, if not, then no Camaro. :-?
ganymede2010
Mini-Con
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Postby GetterDragun » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:48 am

DUDEATRICE wrote:So you basically resolved the argument.

Ford does not build the Saleen mustang so it's not a Ford.

Saleen modifies the car and makes it it's own. Therefore it's a Saleen mustang. Not Ford.

Just because Mission modifies the original Rollerblade design doesn't make it still a Rollerblade...see where I'm going?


Correctamundo.

Although we did see a Saleen plate on the Camaro. Could Saleen begin to tune Camaro's? Of course!
Image

Check out my collection thread!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38984
Toyota FT-86 Discussion
GetterDragun
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8850
News Credits: 92
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:15 pm

Postby Barricade » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:12 am

Motto: ""to punish and enslave...""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
GetterDragun wrote:
DUDEATRICE wrote:So you basically resolved the argument.

Ford does not build the Saleen mustang so it's not a Ford.

Saleen modifies the car and makes it it's own. Therefore it's a Saleen mustang. Not Ford.

Just because Mission modifies the original Rollerblade design doesn't make it still a Rollerblade...see where I'm going?


Correctamundo.

Although we did see a Saleen plate on the Camaro. Could Saleen begin to tune Camaro's? Of course!
I FREAKIN SAW THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hence my saleen camaro theory so :P
Image
User avatar
Barricade
Gestalt
Posts: 2257
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: Ramstein AB, Germany
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 3
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby GrimlockZ28 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 am

Cujo wrote:
GetterDragun wrote:
DUDEATRICE wrote:So you basically resolved the argument.

Ford does not build the Saleen mustang so it's not a Ford.

Saleen modifies the car and makes it it's own. Therefore it's a Saleen mustang. Not Ford.

Just because Mission modifies the original Rollerblade design doesn't make it still a Rollerblade...see where I'm going?


Correctamundo.

Although we did see a Saleen plate on the Camaro. Could Saleen begin to tune Camaro's? Of course!
I FREAKIN SAW THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hence my saleen camaro theory so :P


From what I read in car magazines (my other passion), Saleen didn't do anything on the movie Camaros, however, Steve Saleen has said that Saleen will be doing Camaros when the new body style hits.
GrimlockZ28
Mini-Con
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Postby Swerve » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:24 pm

AbsumZer0 wrote:Are there a lot of police departments in the U.S. that issue Saleen Mustangs as cruisers? Police officers usually don't take law enforcement impersonation lightly. I mean, I'm sure the decorations would be a dead-giveaway anyhow but if you're trying to blend in it would seem about as sensible as painting flames on your big-rig.


It all depends on the police department in a given city. Some of the smaller towns allow an officer, especially a traffic officer, the ability to buy their own car, have everything added to it that they need and then the officer is reimbursed the cost. I know an officer that did this with a Camaro a few years back. There is another officer that did this with a Trans Am and it looks great. I doubt you'd ever see a Saleen Mustang, but I have seen some great looking out of the normal cars.

You might also notice that some Police Departments do this with their motorcycles. The officer buys the motorcycle and has the police package put on it and painted. In some towns you will notice different model Harleys and Yamahas among other bikes all being used at the same time.

While these cars aren't necessarily used in actual law enforcement they do a have an orginization that uses muscle cars as a teaching/public relations tool:http://www.beattheheatinc.org/cops.html
Swerve
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 am


Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014