Well as I threw at Psychout a few weeks back.
• Participation is voluntary.
• There are a number of different categories to vie for (most xp, most kills etc)
• To encourage casual players to enter, those participating will only be allowed to submit a set number of missions (say five?) per bot each day. Casual players will pretty much have to submit all their missions while heavy players will have to pick and choose their best.
PICK YOUR POISON
It really is a simple concept I promise!
• Participation is voluntary
• Players are then paired up.
• Once paired up, you then pick a "poison" for your opponent. A "poison" is a task they must achieve before you achieve the one they've picked for you. It could be to "outscore Tekka" or "perform a 100% strafe" or anything you choose. Within reason of course, players will still have the option of objecting if they feel it's TOO difficult, at which point the contest organiser will step in and decide.
• First person from each pair to achieve their "poison" move onto the next round where the process is repeated.
• Eventually you get down to two players where the winner is eventually decided.
And then there's the other idea which I need to talk to Psychout about privately to see if we can kick it off in the new year ...
(Edit by Psychout: This deserves a topic of its own.)