Bonecrusher27 wrote:Not being American or in America, some references escape me so I hope you can enlighten me.
I don't really understand some of these accusations of political correctness/ incorrectness when there are traits seen in shows of these sort.
1. Skids and Mudflap - the furore due to the gold tooth, the language "e.g. capping yo ass") etc brings up slave past? Would Megatron's/ Starscream's "Come here, boy" also evoke this?
2. Wreckers and Rednecks - I know nothing much about Rednecks beyond the racist stereotypes. But it started confusing me when some toy reviewers mentioned the connection, especially the mullets. Are mullets associated with rednecks exclusively? Because I know of friends who are coloured be they black or Asian, who also wear that style.
3. The Dreads - I thought it was obvious that they were given a Jamaican feel. Does that make it a racist slur? To me I thought they were super cool, especially on the highway...reminded me of some clips of really good Jamaican Parkour practioners I've seen in action: somersaulting, vaulting, handspringing etc with dreads blowing in the air.
When you watch a movie, you'll see good guys, you'll see bad guys. If a bad guy is black, is that racism? And hence translated to the Transformers setting, where certain robots take on certain traits, it becomes a direct attack?
For example, in the Star Wars prequels, the Nemoidians were given Asian accents. Being Asian myself, while I may not have liked the decision, it was a long way towards feeling the film makers were deliberately casting racial slurs. After all why would they think to alienate at least half the paying movie going world?
Even more ridiculous to me have been claims like
- Jet Li as a villain in Lethal Weapon 4 = racist against Chinese
- Cyril Raffaeli in Die Hard 4 = racist against French
Perhaps someone can explain more because it confuses me when these discussions come up. Some seem like total non sequuntur to me.
No, It's no that I think any of it's "Racist" It's the fact that some others do. They think the twins were a racial steriotype. No they were not! I know pelenty of people who talk the same way they do! And they're white, black, hispanic, asian, and others I don't even recognize! It's Ebonic Ghetto talk, An up and coming thing for almost everone in maerica nowadays, but if two giant robots talk all "gangsta" people of a certain color may get offended. No one bitched about jazz! Even barricade is portrayed as "Black" In more than color, and no one points it out.
the twins were just durogatory, and thats what people noticed.
As for the Wreackers, they wernt rednecks, they were Irish, actually. Sure Irish nascars can be connected racially with drinking and all that, but no one will call that, because it's not a purposely made connection. even if it is, so what? I HATE living in a world were your favorite things can be ruined by political correctness.
as for the dreads,
Twitchythe3rd wrote:Jamacian wasn't the first thought when I saw the Dreads. Mine was "holy ****, it's a robot Predator."
That just about sums it up nicely.
as for those weird movements they made on the freeway, that was because it was recycled footage from the movie "The Island", and if you don't beleive me, here: