Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby fenrir72 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
This must have been discussed many times. What with the recent hit Prime series, the latest iteration of the Optimus Prime mold..........why no trailer? I'm assuming that the main bruiser (A voyager right? So please correct me if I'm wrong) severely lacks a trailer.

If Hasbro can actually drop the MP-10 version to $ 99.00 and re-issue the short stacked G1 version (again with a trailer). Why not give the "Prime" Prime a decent frickin' trailer?

That being the case, How much would you fellow collectors suggest should it be priced at?
Current collection status

Number of TFs: 350 +
Rarest TF: Fortmax,Pretenders Metalhawk,KissPlayers Sparkbots,Tomy FE Optimus Prime, custom E-hobby Orion Pax, MP-01 2004, Classics Ultra Magnus, henkei Convoy + FP Trailer, e-hobby Roadrage,iPod G1 colors Convoy
Latest TF:MP-10 Optimus Prime,Optimus Maximus
Wanted TFs:Abominus, Computron, Road Caesar, Leo Kaizer, G1 Scorponok, G1 dinobots, Grandus
Impossible Dream TFs:Overlord,Galaxyshuttle,Black Zarak, Monstructor or Dinoking
User avatar
fenrir72
City Commander
Posts: 3632
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 am
Location: SEA
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Arctorro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:07 am

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby PrymeStriker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 am

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Because he only used it twice?

It's like asking why DotM Voyager Prime didn't get a trailer. :-|

I don't care if he gets a toy with a trailer or not. Hardly something to demand.
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5383
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Duo_r » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:16 am

Basically, the toys follow the show.

While TF Prime OP does use his trailer from time to time (only two episodes or so), he's usually seen without it, unless certain missions require it. And for good reason, as it'll be hard to explain why his trailer magically appears whenever he transforms into a truck. Sure, it happened in the G1 cartoons, but then we didn't ask so many questions back in the day. ;)

Also, Hasbro's all about keeping prices down even at the cost of simpler designs, less moving parts, and less plastic. MP-10 got a trailer most likely because it was geared towards adult collectors who didn't mind the extra cost of the plastic, and G1 OP just isn't G1 OP without his trailer. For all I know, maybe Hasbro was just feeling generous.

With these two factors combines, we probably won't be seeing a TF Prime OP fig with a trailer any time soon.
Duo_r
Mini-Con
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm
Buy from Duo_r on eBay

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby robotmel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 am

Motto: "I once pooped an Energon Cube!"
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
PrymeStriker wrote:Because he only used it twice?

It's like asking why DotM Voyager Prime didn't get a trailer. :-|

I don't care if he gets a toy with a trailer or not. Hardly something to demand.

:-?
I would go out on a limb here and suggest that fans would be all over a TFP Prime trailer more so that those crappy Arms Microns which no one asked for and dont appear in the show.

If Hasbro fail to release a trailer, should Prime haul it around with him again, then perhaps a 3rd Party will step up such as Dr Wu and give us something to easy our wanton desires! :lol:
ROBOTMEL'S WANTS LIST! :BOT: PM ME PLEASE!
RID - Ultra Magnus (God Magnus) (COMPLETE)
Perfect Effect - Rumble & Frenzy, Ejector & Rewinder (COMPLETE)
Alternity - Cliffjumper, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp (COMPLETE)
Fansproject - Assaulter (Broadside) (COMPLETE)
Masterpiece - Starscream (Hasbro G1 colour) (COMPLETE)
IDW Transformers (2009 Ongoing) - #22b (VF/NM)
MARVEL Generation 2 - Halloween Special (VF/NM)
User avatar
robotmel
Godmaster
Posts: 1783
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:22 am
Location: Great Britain
Buy from robotmel on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Duo_r » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 am

robotmel wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Because he only used it twice?

It's like asking why DotM Voyager Prime didn't get a trailer. :-|

I don't care if he gets a toy with a trailer or not. Hardly something to demand.

:-?
I would go out on a limb here and suggest that fans would be all over a TFP Prime trailer more so that those crappy Arms Microns which no one asked for and dont appear in the show.

If Hasbro fail to release a trailer, should Prime haul it around with him again, then perhaps a 3rd Party will step up such as Dr Wu and give us something to easy our wanton desires! :lol:


Well, technically, it was Takara's Japan-exclusive versions that have the arms microns, and they do "sort of" appear in their own comedy segment after the Japanese version of the show.

Either way, the trailer doesn't matter that much to me, TBH. I'd much rather Hasbro just quit it with the cost-cutting and give us better figs in the same vein as the FE versions (Vehicon is the only exception, in that the PRID version actually surpassed its FE predecessor).
Duo_r
Mini-Con
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm
Buy from Duo_r on eBay

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Yotsuyasan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 am

Motto: "No matter where you go, there you are."
PrymeStriker wrote:It's like asking why DotM Voyager Prime didn't get a trailer. :-|


Mine did.

Image

But un this case, yes, it was very expensive. :P
Buy me a toy, and see it reviewed!
Earn mediocre fun rewards with your support!
Image
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/505914011/buy-me-a-toy

Project runs through Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:20 PM EDT.

User avatar
Yotsuyasan
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 pm
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 7

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:41 am

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
Arctorro wrote:It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.


I agree completely. We pay up to $30 for a figure which may cost the US Market $17. Considering the Australian dollar is worth 1.05 US and that the same product is getting shipped from China a shorter distance, we truly are getting the rough end of the deal
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Arctorro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 am

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.


I agree completely. We pay up to $30 for a figure which may cost the US Market $17. Considering the Australian dollar is worth 1.05 US and that the same product is getting shipped from China a shorter distance, we truly are getting the rough end of the deal


Too true! Voyagers on the shelf are around $50!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread :grin:
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby fenrir72 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
robotmel wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Because he only used it twice?

It's like asking why DotM Voyager Prime didn't get a trailer. :-|

I don't care if he gets a toy with a trailer or not. Hardly something to demand.

:-?
I would go out on a limb here and suggest that fans would be all over a TFP Prime trailer more so that those crappy Arms Microns which no one asked for and don't appear in the show.

If Hasbro fail to release a trailer, should Prime haul it around with him again, then perhaps a 3rd Party will step up such as Dr Wu and give us something to easy our wanton desires! :lol:


My point exactly. There were no Arms Microns in the show and yet? But I only used Prime as an example. Waaaaaaaay back with Classics/henkei(no trailer) or even WWI(excellent mold btw if it were not for the die-cast) he also had a trailer in the comic.

Again, they can cut down costs for MP and yet the more mass produced line nada? This lack of trailers after GF, well, its like its been forgotten. But the cost seems more like the same price range of a figure with a trailer. In TFA he had a trailer similar to the GF version, what happened to that?

And in the original show, sure he hauled the trailer almost like 90% of the time he appeared in the show though its features (the trailer) were only highlighted like maybe 3x but still...........
Current collection status

Number of TFs: 350 +
Rarest TF: Fortmax,Pretenders Metalhawk,KissPlayers Sparkbots,Tomy FE Optimus Prime, custom E-hobby Orion Pax, MP-01 2004, Classics Ultra Magnus, henkei Convoy + FP Trailer, e-hobby Roadrage,iPod G1 colors Convoy
Latest TF:MP-10 Optimus Prime,Optimus Maximus
Wanted TFs:Abominus, Computron, Road Caesar, Leo Kaizer, G1 Scorponok, G1 dinobots, Grandus
Impossible Dream TFs:Overlord,Galaxyshuttle,Black Zarak, Monstructor or Dinoking
User avatar
fenrir72
City Commander
Posts: 3632
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 am
Location: SEA
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
I think Hasbro not only looks at the possible retail price, but also looks at possible shelf space. Items like Movie Trilogy Prime or Ultimate Prime have really large or long boxes, and every store has a section exactly measured out for the line. More bigger figures -> Less space for the rest -> less possible sales. That's why we have endcaps :lol:
Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) BW II VS-18 Powerhug vs. Autocrusher
3) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
4) Arms Micron Terrorcon Bumblebee
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

Preparing to move to the US!

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14299
News Credits: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby GuyIncognito » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 am

I would think that when you consider design costs, manufacturing, packaging, and shipping, the trailer probably costs AT LEAST as much to make as the main figure, probably more. And it takes up more shelf space, as JelZe mentioned above. So a Prime that comes with a trailer should cost at least double the price of Prime without a trailer. $30 for Deluxe DOTM OP with trailer was a fair price, but the trailer sucked. If they made a Voyager OP with trailer, I would expect it to sell for $49.99 - $59.99. If the trailer is good, I'm willing to pay that much.

I happily paid $50 for a BTS-01 trailer for Classics OP, plus another $10 or so for Reprolabels, and it was worth every penny.
Last edited by GuyIncognito on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
Posts: 4603
News Credits: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 am
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby FortMacs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:15 am

Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Id be willing to pay an extra 10 or 15 without complaint for a prime with a trailer. prime without a trailer just doesnt look or feel complete to me.
Image
User avatar
FortMacs
City Commander
Posts: 3208
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:17 am
Location: charlotte, nc
Buy from FortMacs on eBay

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
Arctorro wrote:
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.


I agree completely. We pay up to $30 for a figure which may cost the US Market $17. Considering the Australian dollar is worth 1.05 US and that the same product is getting shipped from China a shorter distance, we truly are getting the rough end of the deal


Too true! Voyagers on the shelf are around $50!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread :grin:


Don't worry about sidetracking, they're all big boys. Can you imagine how many transformers we'd have if we payed US prices? Two-for-One, can't get better than that
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Arctorro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.


I agree completely. We pay up to $30 for a figure which may cost the US Market $17. Considering the Australian dollar is worth 1.05 US and that the same product is getting shipped from China a shorter distance, we truly are getting the rough end of the deal


Too true! Voyagers on the shelf are around $50!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread :grin:


Don't worry about sidetracking, they're all big boys. Can you imagine how many transformers we'd have if we payed US prices? Two-for-One, can't get better than that


I can do more than imagine! I take full advantage of BBTS's PoL feature, leaving toys there for months at a time and shipping in one big batch. In the end, with the shipping costs, it still works out cheaper than buying em in store.

I've run out of space and still I keep the damn things :grin: Unfortunately that means most of my collection is packed up in the wardrobe.
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Motto: "Bragging is the right of all awesome beings!"
Weapon: Sawed-Off C02 Shotgun
Arctorro wrote:
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It would be nice if he had a trailer, for maybe $10 - $15 extra. That's based on the U.S. Voyager prices on BBTS. I'm in Australia, so prices are a little (craploads really) more expensive here.


I agree completely. We pay up to $30 for a figure which may cost the US Market $17. Considering the Australian dollar is worth 1.05 US and that the same product is getting shipped from China a shorter distance, we truly are getting the rough end of the deal


Too true! Voyagers on the shelf are around $50!

Sorry to sidetrack the thread :grin:


Don't worry about sidetracking, they're all big boys. Can you imagine how many transformers we'd have if we payed US prices? Two-for-One, can't get better than that


I can do more than imagine! I take full advantage of BBTS's PoL feature, leaving toys there for months at a time and shipping in one big batch. In the end, with the shipping costs, it still works out cheaper than buying em in store.

I've run out of space and still I keep the damn things :grin: Unfortunately that means most of my collection is packed up in the wardrobe.


It's quite sad when you think about it, we can order off BBTS, pay international shipping and still get it cheaper than walking into ourl local toys r us. and it's not just Transformers either, a 3 and 3/4 inch Star Wars figure for $17? Come on..
Wanted:
Both of the McDonalds Prime Breakdown Happy Meal Toys (sealed only)
Breakdown 2099
Combiner
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Arctorro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 am

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
breakdown99 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:
I can do more than imagine! I take full advantage of BBTS's PoL feature, leaving toys there for months at a time and shipping in one big batch. In the end, with the shipping costs, it still works out cheaper than buying em in store.

I've run out of space and still I keep the damn things :grin: Unfortunately that means most of my collection is packed up in the wardrobe.


It's quite sad when you think about it, we can order off BBTS, pay international shipping and still get it cheaper than walking into ourl local toys r us. and it's not just Transformers either, a 3 and 3/4 inch Star Wars figure for $17? Come on..


It is sad, made worse by the fact that it is only Australia that suffers the mark-ups...

Ah well, at least we have the internet ;)
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Arctorro wrote:It is sad, made worse by the fact that it is only Australia that suffers the mark-ups...

Ah well, at least we have the internet ;)


I don't know about other Asian countries, but Malaysia also suffers from serious price mark-ups. Take ROTF deluxe figs for instance--what would have only cost 12 USD in the US, costs 20 dollars here. You read that right; nearly double the price.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2198
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby Arctorro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:21 am

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It is sad, made worse by the fact that it is only Australia that suffers the mark-ups...

Ah well, at least we have the internet ;)


I don't know about other Asian countries, but Malaysia also suffers from serious price mark-ups. Take ROTF deluxe figs for instance--what would have only cost 12 USD in the US, costs 20 dollars here. You read that right; nearly double the price.


That sucks :-(

I should've been a bit clearer before, meant that NZ doesn't get the mark-ups. Was watching a news report a while back about it.
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime and his trailer, is it really that expensive to include one?

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:10 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Arctorro wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Arctorro wrote:It is sad, made worse by the fact that it is only Australia that suffers the mark-ups...

Ah well, at least we have the internet ;)


I don't know about other Asian countries, but Malaysia also suffers from serious price mark-ups. Take ROTF deluxe figs for instance--what would have only cost 12 USD in the US, costs 20 dollars here. You read that right; nearly double the price.


That sucks :-(

I should've been a bit clearer before, meant that NZ doesn't get the mark-ups. Was watching a news report a while back about it.


Well, I guess it's a small consolation that we pay relatively less than the US when it comes to Takara products. Shipping from Japan to here is definitely cheaper and closer than from Japan to the US. Also, there's plenty of hobby stores to choose from (since the 2007 "Bay-boom" that created a massive demand for TF's and other toys and collectibles, anyways).
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2198
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014