Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:19 am

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Hello all, may I start of by saying I have been a guest on this forum for quite a while and through it, i was inspired to give this whole "customization and repaint" business a go.
NOTE: im putting "customization and repaint" in quotation marks because i have just started recently and know there may be WORLDS between what im doing and what others here have to offer.


Regarding this work:

- Being a big seekers fan, I preordered myself a first edition deluxe and Voyager Starscream the very day teh internetz said i could. Although Deluxe Starscream only needed little touch-ups here and there, I found the look of Voyager Starscream to be very displeasing... to the point of it looking more like a generic "background" character ala G1 cartoons.

- I tried to capture the look of Starscream from the prime cartoon. Getting rid of the pointless blue areas, highlighting the breastplate with silver and matt gray etc.

I would love to know what you all think.
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0025.jpg
Added light effects to the jet turbine.
IMG_0025.jpg (113.84 KiB) Viewed 210 times
IMG_0024.jpg
The silver on the wings makes the breastplate repaint not look out of place.
IMG_0023.jpg
Breastplate and face detail
IMG_0022.jpg
Dangerous! the rockets were coloured in with a permanent pen.... hay if it works...
IMG_0021.jpg
Scheming...
IMG_0020.jpg
Robocrotch and stomach area
IMG_0019.jpg
The whole package
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Nice work!

I've also been planning on repainting my voyager TF Prime Starscream (AM version), but one of the biggest problems is that it's just impossible to get the colors accurate in both bot and jet mode.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby PrymeStriker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 am

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
You made that ugly Voyager Starscream absolutely beautiful. Brilliant work.
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5382
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
At Skywarped:
Thanks for the good idea. I was wondering how to improve the figure furtherĀ“, I guess I should give the Jet mode some attention. Maybe use poetic license instead of just spraypainting it silver =P~
Any Ideas?

At PrymeStriker:
Thanks for the love! I do not know If you have purchased the figure but "buyers remorse" kicked in within a week. I managed to get it far enough that its sitting with the other Transformers I have out for show instead of the storage box it was in before.
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby PrymeStriker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Robbodymus wrote:At PrymeStriker:
Thanks for the love! I do not know If you have purchased the figure but "buyers remorse" kicked in within a week. I managed to get it far enough that its sitting with the other Transformers I have out for show instead of the storage box it was in before.


'Nah. I stuck with my FE Deluxe 'Screamer; saved myself from the remorse. Regardless, you certainly made this figure shiny. ;)
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5382
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Manterax Prime » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 am

Motto: "You honestly believed that The Leige Maximo was Prima's other half? How foolish of you!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I hought it almost impossible to make him look even more like a fembot, but you have proven me wrong.

Yup, totally a fembot I see here, but it works, and I like it.
Probably not what you were aiming for, but great job!
INFINITY! PLEASE!
Hi-Sui-Fu-Do! Bo-Zaba-Byu-Dogon!
User avatar
Manterax Prime
Pretender
Posts: 758
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm
Watch Manterax Prime on YouTube
Buy from Manterax Prime on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:10 am

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Ha :D
Fembot?
Really?
ok....
I will take that positively, Does it make my repaint sexy in any way?
Guess I could make the Jetmode pink :lol:
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Manterax Prime » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:15 am

Motto: "You honestly believed that The Leige Maximo was Prima's other half? How foolish of you!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Robbodymus wrote:Ha :D
Fembot?
Really?
ok....
I will take that positively, Does it make my repaint sexy in any way?
Guess I could make the Jetmode pink :lol:


Yeah.....This mold, and even the deluxe, make perfect fembot toys, which is why I think the mold works better for Slipstream (who I do plan on preordering from BBTS)

Also, the linework on his face just makes his feminine features even more obvious.

To be honest, Starscream should NEVER have a physique like this.
INFINITY! PLEASE!
Hi-Sui-Fu-Do! Bo-Zaba-Byu-Dogon!
User avatar
Manterax Prime
Pretender
Posts: 758
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm
Watch Manterax Prime on YouTube
Buy from Manterax Prime on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 am

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Manterax Prime wrote:
Robbodymus wrote:Ha :D
Fembot?
Really?
ok....
I will take that positively, Does it make my repaint sexy in any way?
Guess I could make the Jetmode pink :lol:


Yeah.....This mold, and even the deluxe, make perfect fembot toys, which is why I think the mold works better for Slipstream (who I do plan on preordering from BBTS)

Also, the linework on his face just makes his feminine features even more obvious.

To be honest, Starscream should NEVER have a physique like this.



Actually....I could really imagine a slipstream repaint ala War for Cyberton.
Do you know if anyone has already tried this? I cant find any over Google.
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Manterax Prime » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:51 am

Motto: "You honestly believed that The Leige Maximo was Prima's other half? How foolish of you!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Robbodymus wrote:
Manterax Prime wrote:
Robbodymus wrote:Ha :D
Fembot?
Really?
ok....
I will take that positively, Does it make my repaint sexy in any way?
Guess I could make the Jetmode pink :lol:


Yeah.....This mold, and even the deluxe, make perfect fembot toys, which is why I think the mold works better for Slipstream (who I do plan on preordering from BBTS)

Also, the linework on his face just makes his feminine features even more obvious.

To be honest, Starscream should NEVER have a physique like this.



Actually....I could really imagine a slipstream repaint ala War for Cyberton.
Do you know if anyone has already tried this? I cant find any over Google.


Yes, I do know of someone....Hasbro, and if you have $100 to spare you can get her at BBTS.
Here's the link to her page: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... icture=out

As for custom repaints, I don't know of anyone.
INFINITY! PLEASE!
Hi-Sui-Fu-Do! Bo-Zaba-Byu-Dogon!
User avatar
Manterax Prime
Pretender
Posts: 758
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm
Watch Manterax Prime on YouTube
Buy from Manterax Prime on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:02 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Robbodymus wrote:At Skywarped:
Thanks for the good idea. I was wondering how to improve the figure furtherĀ“, I guess I should give the Jet mode some attention. Maybe use poetic license instead of just spraypainting it silver =P~
Any Ideas?


You could paint his jet mode in the same scheme as the F-16 Fighting Falcons--light gray in the canopy, and dark grey on the rest of it:

Image

After all, Starscream's alt mode WAS inspired by the F-16 anyways. The only problem would be the chest. It's supposed to be light gray or brushed metal in bot mode, and if you were to paint his jet mode in the F-16's color scheme, he'd have a dark gray chest instead.

Or perhaps you could use a lighter tone of gray on the darker parts, like in this pic:

Image

Personally, the lighter color scheme on the pic above is what I'm planning to go with. It's a good balance between the color-accuracy of bot and jet mode.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Ah right, only deluxe eh?

May only be a matter of time before they release the voyager one. :grin:
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Robbodymus wrote:At Skywarped:
Thanks for the good idea. I was wondering how to improve the figure furtherĀ“, I guess I should give the Jet mode some attention. Maybe use poetic license instead of just spraypainting it silver =P~
Any Ideas?


You could paint his jet mode in the same scheme as the F-16 Fighting Falcons--light gray in the canopy, and dark grey on the rest of it:

After all, Starscream's alt mode WAS inspired by the F-16 anyways. The only problem would be the chest. It's supposed to be light gray or brushed metal in bot mode, and if you were to paint his jet mode in the F-16's color scheme, he'd have a dark gray chest instead.

Or perhaps you could use a lighter tone of gray on the darker parts,

Personally, the lighter color scheme on the pic above is what I'm planning to go with. It's a good balance between the color-accuracy of bot and jet mode.



Thanks, i cant hurt to try. Will post pictures here when its done.
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

a painted plane

Postby Robbodymus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 am

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
So, sorry that the reply took so Long...and partly for what you are about to see. :D

I managed to create a rather nice Jetmode, albeit rather bland.
It is almost as if it is missing Stickers or something... the Pictures are as follows.
Attachments
DSC_0037.JPG
In one final attempt to "add colour" I painted the Jet engine...actually..i like this part the most in Jet mode.
DSC_0036.JPG
Here you can see the Silver base I used on all the parts individually and then sponged over with thinned out matt black. Taking this figure appart and reconstructing it is....arduous at best. the Cockpit worked out well though.
DSC_0035.JPG
Close up of the afformentioned "Pilot hole".
DSC_0034.JPG
Now i think the Cockpit Looks great but it is clear to see that it is missing SOMETHING...
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

and on another note

Postby Robbodymus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:09 am

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I was in "the Zone" and spruced up my Display stand for MP starscream.
Attachments
DSC_0039.JPG
I was aiming for "cybertronian mens bathroom floor"...Think I pulled it off.
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Love what you did with the jet exhaust! Looks like it's actually...what's the word for it, "lit up?"

The metallic paint job looks great! What paints did you use for the silver and the black wash, BTW?

As for something missing, honestly, I think the most you could add are some red accents as seen on Starscream's CGI model. Other than that, this is pretty much a perfect TFP Screamer repaint.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby BeastProwl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
I dont think anything is really missing. Its just, the Voyager mold has a million little added details that really stand out with a coat of paint, and what's more, alot of those details aren't accurate to the show, they were just added on the toy.

I think your repaint is excellent! The mold just makes you feel like you missed something.
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6065
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Prime Starscream repaint I can live with

Postby Robbodymus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Motto: "IIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM SSSSSSTTTTUUUUUUPPPPIIIIDDDDD!!!!"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
HAHAHHAHAHAHA! thought I posted a reply YESTERDAY! Turns out i shouldnot choak my laptop to death with the power button when it freezes...otherwise things like this happen.
Well thank you all for the love and IM IN THE CREATIVE ROUNDUP!!!! this inspires me to do more!!!!!

SKYWARPED_128: I used "Tamaka color PS12 Silver" as a base coat on all those difficult to take appart peices, then mixed Revell matt black with brush cleaner spirit (a clean brush is a happy brush) and buffed the surfaces with a washing up sponge full of the stuff. Googled it and I think its dry brushing...

BeastProwl: When you put it that way it does make sence. It does look like a nice Jet, I think it just looks a little less like a transformer :D oh well clashing neon colours next time. Do you think maybe airfix decals may be over the top?
Robbodymus
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Germany (British)
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 8


Return to Customizations

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014