QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Postby shajaki » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
after aquiring this years botcon hunter/shockaract, it made me want to find the original. im pretty much always on the lookout of all things botcon, and ive noticed more than a couple of the '00 shockaracts having major chrome problems (cracking, flaking, falling off) which ive experienced before on other toys. even on MISB toys.

so i guess im asking, is the 2000 shocky known to have rampant issues? should i even trust buying an pricey MISB one? any info or insight would be appreciated.
Image
Currently Seeking:

-Botcon BW Megatron, Waspinator, Buzzsaw, Laserbeak
-Beast Wars Returns Strika BR-13
-MP10A Bape Convoy
User avatar
shajaki
News Staff
Posts: 4896
News Credits: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Re: QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Postby JelZe GoldRabbit » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
shajaki wrote:after aquiring this years botcon hunter/shockaract, it made me want to find the original. im pretty much always on the lookout of all things botcon, and ive noticed more than a couple of the '00 shockaracts having major chrome problems (cracking, flaking, falling off) which ive experienced before on other toys. even on MISB toys.

so i guess im asking, is the 2000 shocky known to have rampant issues? should i even trust buying an pricey MISB one? any info or insight would be appreciated.


That's a problem common to every single Transmetal and Beast Machines toy out there. Every. Single. One. That includes 2000 Shokaract and 2002 Cyclonus. Aside from that, Shokaract has no real issues.
"I have Autism and I'm proud of it!" - Myself

Top 5 Priorities:

1) BW Neo X-7 Elphaorpha
2) RiD Grimlock, Hightower & Wedge
3) Energon Sledge, Duststorm, Bonecrusher & Wideload
4) Universe 2003 Night Slash Cheetor
5) BW Convobat (red) & Megalligator (purple)

The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3
User avatar
JelZe GoldRabbit
God Of Transformers
Posts: 16530
News Credits: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands; McKinney, Texas, USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 1
Courage: 6
Skill: 5

Re: QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Postby shajaki » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 am

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
i knew transmetals in general were somewhat problematic. but theres some that i fould to be exceptionally bad, like BM ultra jetstorm. my original fell apart, and i recently got a MISB one thats cracking and ready to fall apart. but the transmetals i had as a kid (which were heavily played with) are still fine. even with lots of scratches, the chrome isnt spider-cracking on them. i read somewhere thats the main cause, once theres a scratch that breaks the chrome "seal" it will most likely lead to spider-cracking and eventual flaking off.

and like i said , i was just wondering if the 2000 shockaract was particularly bad, cause i have seen enough cracked up loose ones on ebay to be wary. so i guess this is a call-out to any shocky owners out there. how are yours holding up?
Image
Currently Seeking:

-Botcon BW Megatron, Waspinator, Buzzsaw, Laserbeak
-Beast Wars Returns Strika BR-13
-MP10A Bape Convoy
User avatar
shajaki
News Staff
Posts: 4896
News Credits: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Re: QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Postby ScottyP » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:45 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
shajaki wrote:i knew transmetals in general were somewhat problematic. but theres some that i fould to be exceptionally bad, like BM ultra jetstorm. my original fell apart, and i recently got a MISB one thats cracking and ready to fall apart. but the transmetals i had as a kid (which were heavily played with) are still fine. even with lots of scratches, the chrome isnt spider-cracking on them. i read somewhere thats the main cause, once theres a scratch that breaks the chrome "seal" it will most likely lead to spider-cracking and eventual flaking off.

and like i said , i was just wondering if the 2000 shockaract was particularly bad, cause i have seen enough cracked up loose ones on ebay to be wary. so i guess this is a call-out to any shocky owners out there. how are yours holding up?


Mine is doing that marbling thing on the vac metal, but nothing's flaked yet. Worth noting that I don't handle my Transmetals much in general due to the vac metal issues of that era. Supposedly a clear coat will fix things, I just haven't gotten around to testing that theory.
SW's SilverHammer wrote:I-I trusted you Scotty! Now Scottie Pippen is my favorite Scotty :sad:


Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast.
Looking for Micromaster Spinner, rare Minicons and Star Saber's Rifle. PM me if you have these for sale!
User avatar
ScottyP
Gestalt
Posts: 2444
News Credits: 101
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: QC on Botcon 2000 Shockaract

Postby shajaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
ScottyP wrote:Mine is doing that marbling thing on the vac metal, but nothing's flaked yet. Worth noting that I don't handle my Transmetals much in general due to the vac metal issues of that era. Supposedly a clear coat will fix things, I just haven't gotten around to testing that theory.
huh. would it be prudent to do that before theres even signs of problems? i wonder if that would prevent the damage all together. how do they actually look with a clear coat on? is it noticeable?
Image
Currently Seeking:

-Botcon BW Megatron, Waspinator, Buzzsaw, Laserbeak
-Beast Wars Returns Strika BR-13
-MP10A Bape Convoy
User avatar
shajaki
News Staff
Posts: 4896
News Credits: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Buy from shajaki on eBay


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #123 - Vroom Vroom Vroom
Twincast / Podcast #123:
"Vroom Vroom Vroom"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, August 18th, 2015