Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby vegetacron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:36 am

Weapon: Spinning Augers
karellan wrote:I love what Bay did with the series. It's not the same as the Transformers I grew up with, but that's OK. It's cool in its own way. The second movie was a bit incomprehensible, but the first and third are are fine. Could a Transformers movie be made that deals with important issues and has a deep plot with great acting? Probably. It could have been District 9 with Transformers instead of prawn. But the world needs lighthearted fun too, so I'm perfectly OK with what we got.


Oddly enough, after spending some time doing some photoshoping some of the pics from all three movies, i'm starting to give and have this point of view of the whole thing, rather than the nerd-ragin G1 fanboy I have been these last couple of days.

The fact is, there is alot, ALOT of Transformer media out there for various audiences, so it is what it is. I just want to enjoy all the perks of being a long time TF fan while its in the spotlight and there is Transformer posters all over the place and tons of Transformer toys at my local Walmart.

Karellan, thank you. I love your point of view.
Image
User avatar
vegetacron
Vehicon
Posts: 356
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby shamone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am

G1 Smoketreader wrote:Respectfully, the Transformers were going to come to life as soon as it was decided that a live action TF film would be made.It doesn't matter who the director would have been, their coming to life for us was a fact set in stone as soon as the decision was made-and it was a decision that would inevitably have been made.Look at the ones who didn't come to life, tho.Look at the ones who were erased from existence, or worse,brought to life and then defaced.Anywhere else, Michael Bay could have been fired for either incapability to use the subject matter properly or refusal to cooperate.Would you hire someone who spits on your product and laughs at your customers to run your show?

Michael Bay brought things into the storyline that we may have never considered anything other than sacrilege, with a good result.For example, Wheelie, who was an embarassment and the cringe factor of the original 86 movie, got a total revamp for the better.Others, such as Soundwave and Megatron HAD to get revamps, once again regardless of the director.It was simply agreed that the size difference between modes had to be addressed.Even we felt that way.

But Bay contributed at what cost? Ignore the Transformation of Bumblebee into Silver/Bluestreak and Trailbreaker into Ironhide,Brawl into Devastator,Sideswipe into Mirage and then Dino,Frenzy into Soundwave and so on.Where are Skywarp and Thundercracker? Ignore the multiple living dead Decepticons and dead once, gone forever Autobots.Why is Starscream a Dorito?Furthermore, why was he allowed to be a Dorito? How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?
Bay decided to get petty and take pot shots at Megan Fox now in this latest film.Excuse me? Why should he be allowed to do that? It's not HIS film to use that way or any other way.He was HIRED to do something for someone else that he both can't and doesn't want to do.

Contributions aside,he is NOT the man for this job.I will always love these 3 films and I'm grateful for the absolutely brilliant call center joke in the first movie and Sideswipes wheel feet, which Bay says are his ideas and which I applaud, but it's appropriate that he leave now and that TFs stay. They have yet to be represented as THE cult storyline and brilliant TechSpecs from the 80s.As such, they have only been brought to life for us one dimensionally.


a truly reasoned and sensible post

i applaud thee, very eloquent
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby shamone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:44 am

Capt.Failure wrote:
G1 Smoketreader wrote: How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?


Because Transformers being for children is a limit you arbitrarily impose on it.


yes imagine arbitrarily imposing that mantle on a movie based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline for children

and then a movie that is marketed towards children, how dare you suggest that its a movie for children.

It may not be exclusively for children, but it is their target market.
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
shamone wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:
G1 Smoketreader wrote: How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?


Because Transformers being for children is a limit you arbitrarily impose on it.


yes imagine arbitrarily imposing that mantle on a movie based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline for children

and then a movie that is marketed towards children, how dare you suggest that its a movie for children.

It may not be exclusively for children, but it is their target market.

Robocop, Aliens, and Terminator all had toylines and those were certainly not kid movies. The Transformers movies are marketed for general audiences, not a specific age group. That's why we have a rating system, so people will know beforehand what kind of content a movie has.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Evil_the_Nub wrote:
shamone wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:
G1 Smoketreader wrote: How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?


Because Transformers being for children is a limit you arbitrarily impose on it.


yes imagine arbitrarily imposing that mantle on a movie based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline for children

and then a movie that is marketed towards children, how dare you suggest that its a movie for children.

It may not be exclusively for children, but it is their target market.

Robocop, Aliens, and Terminator all had toylines and those were certainly not kid movies. The Transformers movies are marketed for general audiences, not a specific age group. That's why we have a rating system, so people will know beforehand what kind of content a movie has.


In short: the arguement that Transformers is soley for children and films/series should be developed around that doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Screamfleet » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
RhA wrote:
G1 Smoketreader wrote: How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?


To be honest, that scene made pot a LOT less appealing.


Yea, but that's also fairly inaccurate too. She just went all nutty. I'm' not saying we needed a marijuana to represented fairly in a movie about alien robots, but why do it if you're not going to make it based on anything real?

Anyway, say what I will about Michael Bay? Sure!
I've never really liked Michael Bay. His films often midly entertaining, but mostly insult the audience. Armageddon had it's moments, but the most of it was OTT and just too out there. Why wouldn't NASA train its astronauts to use drills, instead of teaching drillers to use spaceships? Affleck even said something like this to Bay and he was told to shut up.
The Island, omg...that movie is just so stupid. I felt dumber for having watched every second of that uninteresting contrived piece of trash.
Con Air, this is actually a really good movie. It uses exaggerated characters and situations very well. It made me care about the heroes, and even a couple of the villains. I like this movie alot, but Michael Bay had nothing to do with it. Seems like he could have though, huh?
So, I was expecting Michael Bay to do anything different with Transformers. He was going to make a Michael Bay movie with Transformers in it, and that's exactly what he did. I dont like Michael Bay movies, I do like Transformers, these movies result in a major conflict.
User avatar
Screamfleet
Pretender
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Iamwarhorse » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:44 am

Chaoslock wrote:
Iamwarhorse wrote:People who think kids are going to think that the pot brownies are confusing..... Gee, I'm pretty sure it was a joke that went clear over the kids heads. If you ever watched the G1 series, you actually had Transformers getting drunk off of energon, and having a good ole time doing it. But it's OK for G1 to have drunk Transformers, but not Ok for the live action film to have a tippy mom. Whatever.


Alcohol = legal
Pot = Illegal


And it should be the reverse. Pot is illegal because of the dumb ass politicians. The fact that we had the DADT policy for so long speaks volumes about the United States corrupted law views. But in the end, both instances were wrong for children, but it was more appropriate in the live action film than in the cartoon series because of the main target audience. The 80's was for the kids, and the movies was aimed at an overall teens to 30ish crowd.

With that said, like others here, a movie can be of adult material and still be marketed at kids. Terminator, Robocop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Predator, Aliens and the such are just a few examples. How many of us kids remember watching the Friday the 13th and Freddy films, and we all turned out alright despite the gruesome violence and OTT themes?
Image
Iamwarhorse
Minibot
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Blackstreak » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:50 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
I'm super excited about Michael Bay's take on the TFs. I think he hit them spot-on in regards to the slaughter the Decepticons would give to the human race. His approach regarding the use of drugs and sex is nothing short of reality. The tragic loss of loved characters and the thrill of the death of the antagonists was heart stopping.

People slam Michael Bay for totally ruining their dreams of real-life TFs but who pays attention to critics? I know people who are so critical about every stinking detail that I can't stand being around them. You can't please critics because there is no pleasing them.

Michael Bay made me believe TFs can be real even if you can't explain their technology. You're not suppose to understand their technology because it's not of this earth. Governments will try to cover up their existance and lie to the public. This is what they do in real life (even if there are things the general public shouldn't know).

It's sad to see him move on to bigger and better things but I'm expectantly waiting to see who jumps in the seat and what they will do on the reboot movie series. Michael Bay gets 2 thumbs up from me and a cherished spot in my movie and TF collections.
Image

# of Transformers in collection: 241TFs 4 sale
1985 Action Cards for sale
WTB/T for...
Blackstreak
Gestalt
Posts: 2043
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: West Chester, OH
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Starscream GaGa » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:57 am

Motto: ""I'm a free Decepti-bitch, baby!""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Iamwarhorse wrote:And it should be the reverse. Pot is illegal because of the dumb ass politicians. The fact that we had the DADT policy for so long speaks volumes about the United States corrupted law views.


Wut?

Iamwarhorse wrote:With that said, like others here, a movie can be of adult material and still be marketed at kids. Terminator, Robocop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Predator, Aliens and the such are just a few examples. How many of us kids remember watching the Friday the 13th and Freddy films, and we all turned out alright despite the gruesome violence and OTT themes?


TMNT cartoons and movies were never not marketted for kids. Comics on the otherhand...

But really, what kid wathces Aliens and Predator? Also keep in mind that Alien toys were pulled off shelves.
Starscream GaGa
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 504
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Screamfleet » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:28 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
People slam Michael Bay for totally ruining their dreams of real-life TFs but who pays attention to critics? I know people who are so critical about every stinking detail that I can't stand being around them. You can't please critics because there is no pleasing them.


Most critics, actually, are not TF fans, and are slamming Michael Bay for unbiased reasons. Critics, actually can be pleased. I dont understand why you say this? You've never heard of a movie getting rave reviews? They're not coming against it because they didn't want flames on optimus, or whatever, but for entirely different, and legitimate reasons.
User avatar
Screamfleet
Pretender
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby vegetacron » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Weapon: Spinning Augers
Theres just stuff wrong with the Bayformer setup. Like Brawl being named Devastator and Dino, and that whole craptastic spasm of theatrical crap that was ROTF...but theres more.

It is what it is. RIDE THE LIGHTNING! Enjoy the show. Its dumb stupid fun and its probably inspired alot of people to create better movies and etc, etc. For as much **** as MB **** up about the TFers, he did good by ten fold.

So like it, love it, hate it...whatever.
Image
User avatar
vegetacron
Vehicon
Posts: 356
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby No Death for Prowl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Chaoslock wrote:
Iamwarhorse wrote:People who think kids are going to think that the pot brownies are confusing..... Gee, I'm pretty sure it was a joke that went clear over the kids heads. If you ever watched the G1 series, you actually had Transformers getting drunk off of energon, and having a good ole time doing it. But it's OK for G1 to have drunk Transformers, but not Ok for the live action film to have a tippy mom. Whatever.


Alcohol = legal
Pot = Illegal


Plus, that G1 scene was hilarious whereas the pot brownies? Not so much....

I'll give this to Michael Bay: he made 1 good movie before Matrix-itis set in and a surprise hit was stretched out to 2 just awful, overlong sequels which managed to be worse than the originals despite bigger budgets and flashier F/X.

However, that hit-or-miss ratio still places him above a more ballyhooed director like what George Lucas churned out between 1999-2005.
Image
User avatar
No Death for Prowl
Combiner
Posts: 433
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Prankmeister » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:21 am

Just thought I'd remind everybody here about A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court and Carnage in C Minor. Devastator balls and dick jokes are a godsend in comparison to some of the crap G1 pumped out. It had its moments, to be sure, but to claim that G1 was better as a whole is silly given the sheer amount of stupidity that happened during the course of the cartoon. At least in Revenge of the Fallen we never had Seaspray falling in love with mermaids.

SPOILERS FOR DOTM AHEAD!

That being said, I also enjoyed the human interactions a whole lot in Dark of the Moon so maybe I'm a bit biased. I thought the exploration of Sam's character was excellent, and his yearning for his glory days to be sympathetic and well done. I even didn't mind Jerry Wang; in fact, I found his quirkiness to be terriying once it was revealed that Laserbeak was controlling him. This effect was doubled when we get to see how Sam reacts to the same treatment. To realize that all of that awkwardness with Jerry and Sam was pretty much just Laserbeak playing with his food before he throws it down the garbage disposal was quite unnerving, to say the least. But then, I found every single thing Laserbeak said and did to be unnerving. Probably my favorite incarnation of the character so far(yes, that's including Animated guitar Laserbeak). Anybody who still wants to call him goofy looking is either, to quote Megatron, 'lying or stupid'. Granted his toy form does look a little goofier than onscreen, but knowing what kind of character he is certainly helps to make his toy look more menacing.

I found the 'humans working with Decepticons' bit to be very well done as well. The concept has been tossed about before in the mythos, but never to quite this extent. It was a really interesting twist and helped make the entire thing feel like an actual war; a war the Autobots were clearly losing. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't see more of the public ridiculing the Autobots and telling them to leave, but what we got was enough to get the point across. I actually really liked how the military was handled, and was happy to see them capable of fighting the Decepticons up close and personal again. Like it or not, the Transformers are on Earth, and as long as the Autobots are the good guys then humans will always be considered an ally to them. To see the military so active and willing to help fight despite the odds was almost inspiring, and it was wonderful seeing them snipe out the Decepticon's eyes and then bomb them.

As for the Transformers themselves? I do wish we'd gotten a bit more dialogue from some of them. Wheeljack, Sideswipe and Dino just seemed to sort of be there most of the time, but this time they all at least got a few excellent scenes (the Mexican standoff was outstanding). I do feel that they were much more three dimensional this time, and felt that while we might not have gotten quite as much of some of them as we'd like, there was enough to make us care whether they lived or died. And this time, the human interactions actually make sense for the most part and flow well with the story, so it doesn't feel quite as much like filler whenever the humans are on-screen. Again, I realize some folks disliked the first half with Sam job-hunting, but I enjoyed this part very much as it expanded his character and showed us what kind of effect the war has had on him. He's having difficulty adapting to the repetition and plainness of every day life. This is a subject that movies very rarely bring up past a few throw away lines, so to see it as a focal point for Sam's character was refreshing. I am definitely biased here, so to each his own. In fact, to each his own with the whole subject, actually.

Except Carnage in C-Minor. That can go die in a fire except for Blaster and Soundwave's being hilarious.

Personally I think Micheal Bay should be given a medal for making Wheelie likable. My 2-cents.
Prankmeister
Micromaster
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:10 pm

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Powermaster Jazz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:24 am

I agree Blades! Well said!
Image
Powermaster Jazz
City Commander
Posts: 3256
News Credits: 8
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 12:07 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Iamwarhorse » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 am

No Death for Prowl wrote:
Chaoslock wrote:
Iamwarhorse wrote:People who think kids are going to think that the pot brownies are confusing..... Gee, I'm pretty sure it was a joke that went clear over the kids heads. If you ever watched the G1 series, you actually had Transformers getting drunk off of energon, and having a good ole time doing it. But it's OK for G1 to have drunk Transformers, but not Ok for the live action film to have a tippy mom. Whatever.


Alcohol = legal
Pot = Illegal


Plus, that G1 scene was hilarious whereas the pot brownies? Not so much....

I'll give this to Michael Bay: he made 1 good movie before Matrix-itis set in and a surprise hit was stretched out to 2 just awful, overlong sequels which managed to be worse than the originals despite bigger budgets and flashier F/X.

However, that hit-or-miss ratio still places him above a more ballyhooed director like what George Lucas churned out between 1999-2005.


Eh, pot brownies was over kill. So, what did you all think about Brains and the smokin? But, with all of the buzz that went on in these movies, Ratchet's walking into the powerlines was the best! "Wow, that was tingly" Ironhide "yeah, that looks like fun!" :D
Image
Iamwarhorse
Minibot
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby G1 Smoketreader » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 am

Motto: "Continue building from within,attack your designated target,defend everyone."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Capt.Failure wrote:
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
shamone wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:
G1 Smoketreader wrote: How could someone making a childrens movie allow Marijuana to be taken by the main characters Mother?


Because Transformers being for children is a limit you arbitrarily impose on it.


yes imagine arbitrarily imposing that mantle on a movie based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline, based on a cartoon, based on a toyline for children

and then a movie that is marketed towards children, how dare you suggest that its a movie for children.

It may not be exclusively for children, but it is their target market.

Robocop, Aliens, and Terminator all had toylines and those were certainly not kid movies. The Transformers movies are marketed for general audiences, not a specific age group. That's why we have a rating system, so people will know beforehand what kind of content a movie has.


In short: the arguement that Transformers is soley for children and films/series should be developed around that doesn't have a leg to stand on.


(Just read the bold to keep it short)
If the leg is taken away, Yes.
I do wish to argue that Teenagers are still Kids. Altho laws begin providing rights to folks at age 18, the true coming of age is not and has not been observed to happen until age 21 in plenty of cultures and traditions.Do what you like with that but even the brain is not fully developed until age 21.


I don't know the English word to help me express myself. There is a Greek slang word, Provlepe,(pro-vle-PEH) meaning to foresee foreseeably, or to be foreseeably foreseeable.I believe M.Bay should have been Provlepe about the nature of the final cut of that scene.The scene itself should also have been Provlepe to him.On what grounds? On the grounds of context.On the grounds of looking after someone elses kid or at least helping them to do it on their own.On the grounds of common moral courtesy and decency.It depicts a mother ignoring everything around her as soon as she comes into contact with drugs, and being observed at her happiest in 3 films when she takes them.There is what explanation for a parent to explain? Desire. Escape. Otherwise boredom.

People have argued about the ratings of these films and what good parents should know.What about what a good director should know and think?What about what a proper toymaker should DO?.It's okay for them or is it neglect?

Governments all around the world are either making commercials themselves which educate the whole family on which rating means what, or demanding that TV stations do it to be considered worthy of their social position.Everyone walks into the cinema knowing what to expect from the rating.Even 'bad' Parents.They are expected to be provlepe on an issue.They are expected to be ready to discuss an issue.

The depiction of Sams Ma taking drugs, IMO is Ambush.It not only has no business in this film or in the story, but is inserted out of context with what else is going on.The resignation to the fact that a parent has to be confronted with it and then handle it alone is nothing other than the excercising of sociopolitical immunity.There should have at least been a provided physical (for lack of better term) handhold for the parents to start talking from.An event to SHOW to the kid saying "it stems from here", a reason for her to do that which was appropriate to the movie, justifiable to/of the thought patterns of the character and considerate of the sensory intake of the audience: a degree of cooperation in the finality of the explanation of the event from the depicters quarter.I do not feel one was provided.They (we) were just left with the depicted event on a whim to include it.

Robocop (toy line later) showed Drug use, unavoiodably (because it's part of the Mythos and therefore should not be taken out of it), as did Batman (Toyline first)(Scarecrow) and Spiderman (Toyline first)(the Venom suit).Ratchet (Toyline first) also walks into power lines, which IMO is a drug reference and depiction of drug use, albeit veiled.

Note that I am not complaining about Ratchet.

Why?
In my view, which of course is one view amongst many,Robocop (contemporary for its' Era, outdated now) simply gave Punks Nuke.At the time of filming, generic Punks, just like Zeds crew from Police Academy 2(?) had no reason to explain their motivation.They were Punks and behaved that way.There was a reason for the depiction of drug use in the story-from everything relying ultimately on Robocop to a reflection of how dangerous a (proper Human) Cops' job can be to the depiction of corporate and syndicate corruption in the upper social echelons. There is something there to tell a Kid or an adult.In short, a consequence is depicted.

Batmans Scarecrow? I am not confident that he is depicted to suffer a consequence specifically for drug use.Drug use itself, is, however, depicted here as something that causes horror, dementia, suffering, torture.There is something there for a kid to see for itself, and a handle/foothold (the suffering aspect) is provided for parents to start working/talking from.

Spiderman is depicted as very happy (but not his happiest) when he and the Venom suit adopt each other.(I personally treat it all as a vague reference to the overall issue of Drugs, like Ratchets Powerline event-it's there permanently as soon you see it, it's not if you don't).Spiderman is arguably the most powerful when in the Venom suit.I wouldn't say there is a depicted consequence in the graspable, material package, but he goes on to lose things all over the place, from the adherence to the last advice of his Uncle (basically treasure) to Mary Jane to whetever anyone else would list.

Ratchet walks into Power lines accidentally.That's a good enough motivation for me to be happy with it.In actuality the observation that a TF would do that is more realistic than not (tho sensors should have detected the lines).His (and also "our" good friend, Ironhide, provides some degree of consequence through his unenthused response).Furthermore it is established that standard electricity doesn't really have the effect of a weapon on TFs.Absolutely fine for me.It gives more than one result than furthers the story and Ironhides attitude is a good enough consequence to move along with.

Why I brought up Sams Mum is this: Sam Witwicky is the Vessel for each TF viewer to bring himself into the story.He is there to be identified with.His family could have been a broken one-this has been done before (but usually with consolidation at the end).Some would say it is a breaking one.
Sams' Parents are a depiction of contemporary parents.No argument.The film had to somehow be tweaked away from just small child Audiences.No Argument.Even Disney films have DISGUISED adult dialogue or dialect here and there.Therefore, it is both appropriate to accept adult references in a Kids film and a contemporary art both to insert and to notice adult entertainment in a kids' flick.As such, it should be appreciated as any other Art will be.No argument.
In the specific case of Sams Mum, she is depicted as being her happiest (IMO) when on the stuff.Others have the right to disagree, but I feel she is not even happier when her own son is 'ressurected' (tho in all fairness, she wisens up as a character when she has to let go of Sam-I see and acknowledge that story arc).She defends that stuff against the Father figure,(and I'm not importing chauvanism here but family unity,please acknowledge) has no character motivation to take it in order to help herself complete the adventure in some boosted way and leaves the Parent (of the kid watching the show), In my Opinion, Ambushed.Why should the parent have walked in expecting to have to deal with the specific portrayal as it stands?

Going beyond the 'little' kid to the teenager: The whole event just reminds the highschooler what to look for in Uni.This was the second most watched movie in the world when it was released, I believe.


In short: The rating is a flimsy excuse for the decision to leave everyone out on a branch when justifying Sams Ma.She didn't NEED the cookies.She WANTED them.NOBODY forced her but she took them basically in front of her family.The moviegoers training (to know ratings)is a flimsy excuse for the context, content and message of said event to be left uncriticized.It is OUTSIDE of provlepe expectations for the rating to be left unable to explain Sams Mas actions in a positive way without being derogatory towards either her character profile or else the moviemakers,which is unfair to actual mothers in her position. One man refused to (bother) adjust(ing) a situation exposed to billions (after DVD watching also) just because.Nobody stopped him.He didn't try to stop himself.He didn't give a.
Within context of my first post: He didn't want to tone it down.He doesn't know how and, doesn't care how, and he knows it's no skin off his back anyway so he won't search how, because he never did this for YOU.Next to what he contributed, he caused a lot of damage. Therefore, altho TFs were going to be brought to life for us anyway, they were brought to life at a great cost.The fandom alone is in partisan war over how to justify a man who does not justify himself.Was it worth it? Hasbro had a list of 20-odd Autobots and 12-odd Deceps from G1 alone, ready to go,of which 5 vs 6 were originally marketed in TF1.Was that worth it? The Kids could have had a toy who was a theoretician (Skids) who instead became a written off no-show.Was that worth it?
Furthermore, there IS a consequence to everything we do-we just pay less attention to the good consequences and the invisible ones.


DISCLAIMER: I have been away and will be away again for a long while.I will not be present to continue contributing to this conversation so i'm basically out of whatever direction it takes and what new points will be raised.After discussing all this with my wife and some friends, we decided it would be a good deed to leave this counter-opinion posted anyway for younguns to see both sides.Point being I'm not trying to ride a High horse at other posters expense or stand on their shoulders.Everyone is right.We figured if we honestly care about this issue then leaving behind some visibly guarded advice on our take would be a good deed.I repeat that this doesn't mean the rest of the opinions are wrong.That's all.Keep having fun, Gang.
"Everyone has a hobby.Even people who say they don't still have one under another name.If we're sick,injured, we still go to it and get down to see how it is.If it needs something, we bring it,make sure the attention is perfect.It exercises our care and protection and gives us back philosophies.It's a living thing to us,and is the most perfect way to teach a young person how to be towards a living thing. It's something that should never be taken away."
-my Wife
G1 Smoketreader
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:54 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Rank: 10+
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby TylerDante69 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 am

So the U.S. Government found a giant robot on the moon and yet Sector 7, the organization that founded Megatron decades ago and reverse engineered him to make all the tech we use today, HAD NO IDEA about the moon secrets!! Agent Simmons had no clue!!

It's a secret that a few people in the government wants NO ONE TO KNOW....EVEN the experts of Tranformers...Sector 7.


Well if Bay can force the audience to believe that the Government can cover up the LA Giant Robot Battle with thousands of witnesses then I guess he can force this one too.
TylerDante69
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Burn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 am

TylerDante69 wrote:Well if Bay can force the audience to believe that the Government can cover up the LA Giant Robot Battle with thousands of witnesses then I guess he can force this one too.


Bay didn't write the script.

Not sure why people keep thinking he did ...
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38391
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby TylerDante69 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 am

Well i know Orci wrote it....but Bay and Spielberg were equally responsible for overseeing it.

They read the script and story and still approved it.


Since this is a Michael Bay film....he will be the poster boy and figurehead taking the blame even though it was Orci who was the one who did not do his homework.
TylerDante69
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 am

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I'll say, I liked Michael Bay's movies.

Haters gonna' hate but I make wine from tears.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15239
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby vegetacron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 am

Weapon: Spinning Augers
At least in Revenge of the Fallen we never had Seaspray falling in love with mermaids.


^ This. Hey, Mermaids are hawt!
Image
User avatar
vegetacron
Vehicon
Posts: 356
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Screamfleet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:14 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Burn wrote:
TylerDante69 wrote:Well if Bay can force the audience to believe that the Government can cover up the LA Giant Robot Battle with thousands of witnesses then I guess he can force this one too.


Bay didn't write the script.

Not sure why people keep thinking he did ...


If he had an issue with the script, he could have demanded a rewrite.
Thing is, he couldn't during certain points of ROTF, cause of the strike. It's rumored, he had a hand in story elements of ROTF. As they filmed without a script, and have said so several times. So, he had to invent something for himself to film. He's not credited as such, as it would in a way mean he was a scab.
User avatar
Screamfleet
Pretender
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:49 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Say what you will about Michael Bay!!!

Postby Phategod1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 pm

vegetacron wrote:Yes, Micheal Bay is an absolute badass for creating a set of movies for the '2000s generation' that has brought in uber amounts of money to the franchise and has made all sorts of good G1 stuff happen in the background. For that, i would like to dry hump his leg. The man has revitalized the franchise and opened the doors with opportunities for us older G1 fans, inadvertently. He is a master, like no other.

-BUT- (Please do not read past this point if you are a bayformer fan)

I hate the man for how crappy the movies were and believe me, they could have been done without the 80s "camp" that you are describing up there and still 'smoked' MB's crapfest. The art style is about a 50/50 for me. I like it some days and others i absolutely hate it. I think the art style could have been easily forgiven if he would have created an epic story telling adventure here, that made sense. But he sold a "Transformers meets Bad Boys meets Pearl Harbor" and for that, i hope he "diaf", even tho im not mean enough to light the match. But ya know what really jumps in my god damn jimmies and just **** launches me into a near frenzy of hatred that i can't bear to unleash on any nearby bayformer fan? Is that all these **** morons, like Spielberg keep saying what a great sotryteller Micheal Bay is. This guy couldn't tell a story if his life depended on it and here he is, shittin up my god damn hobby with his piss poor skill at makin movies.


Amen on the inviso text
My gamer tag is PHATEGODPRIME Im too lazy to put the little fancy one here.
Phategod1
Godmaster
Posts: 1599
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 am

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #101 - Talkin' 'Bout My Generations
Twincast / Podcast #101:
"Talkin' 'Bout My Generations"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 21st, 2014