Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Sonic burger joint suing SEGA

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

Sonic burger joint suing SEGA

Postby Psycho Warrior » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Motto: "Treachery keeps everyone on their toes."
Weapon: Corrosive Slime Shooter
Sonic the fairly big sized Burger joint wants to sue Sega for the name SONIC.

http://www.thegamerag.com/archive...._se.php
---
Famous Hamburger Chain Sues Sega

Sonic Drive-In, the nationwide hamburger fast food restaurant founded in 1953 and located in more than 33 states, is suing Japanese video game publisher Sega over trademark confusion regarding the character "Sonic the Hedgehog."

"Customers looking to purchase a delicious value menu meal, one of many affordable options at Sonic, may instead accidentally spend $50 on a video game," the Sonic Corporation released in a statement. "This is trickery and deception at its most vile."

"No one would seek to play a Sonic video game in this day and age, and even if they did, they could tell the difference between a large order of french fries and a pixelated fictional character," explained analyst Kim Nijiyakama of Squidge & Ord. "This is the most assinine lawsuit since the time Sega tried to sue the YTMND website."

The Sonic franchise disagrees, and the company is seeking $3 billion dollars in damages, as well as an injunction barring Sega from ever using the name of Sonic. "Sega has been profiting on the Sonic name, and we want it to stop," said Burt Wonters, Sonic's Executive Vice President of Publice Affairs. "It's like our slogan says: Sonic's got it, other's don't. Sega wants to have it, but it can't. We won't let them."

The Sega Corporation did not return calls, emails, faxes, telegrams and morse code messages seeking comment.
Image
The Happy Locust wrote:Effort is not power, knowledge is not power, even money is not power. True power is not caring that you f*ck up all the time.
User avatar
Psycho Warrior
God Of Transformers
Posts: 36800
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 pm
Location: Antarctica, enjoying summer.
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 2
Courage: 5
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Autobobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
This is the most ****** thing I have ever heard. Everybody knows the difference between Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the fast food joint. There's no way that they can win.

Plus, the fast food Sonic didn't even invent the word. So, the can't claim to own the name.

Not only that, but Sonic the fast food went out of business, StH came out, and THEN Sonic the fast food went back into business.
Last edited by Autobobby1 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Roadbuster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't think this is even real. I can't find another source to back it up. And that link is dead. Plus you would think they would have done something about this over a decade ago.
Roadbuster
Faction Commander
Posts: 4478
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:23 pm

Postby Autobobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Want more proof, Roadbuster? I found fixed links.

http://www.thegamerag.com/archives/2007/02/famous_hamburger_chain_sues_se.php

http://www.seganerds.com/2007/02/01/sonic-sues-sega/

I still think that this is ridiculous.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Philcom » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 pm

*coughs*Publicity*coughs*

And I think I need more sources then just theamerag.com and a site stating thegamerag as their source.
Last edited by Philcom on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Philcom
Faction Commander
Posts: 4397
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:17 am

Postby Autobobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
I know. This is a bad joke. Like that Pokemon namesake lawsuit a while back...
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Roadbuster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 pm

Autobobby1 wrote:Want more proof, Roadbuster? I found fixed links.

http://www.thegamerag.com/archives/2007/02/famous_hamburger_chain_sues_se.php

http://www.seganerds.com/2007/02/01/sonic-sues-sega/

I still think that this is ridiculous.


I have nothing form the bigger news sites and they usuaully have have one article pertaining to something like this. Yahoo has nothing, IGN has nothing, G4 has nothing (last two would've had something by now), MSN has nothing, Fox has nothing.

seganerds could have probably gotten the news from thegamerag and posted it without checking to make sure it's legit.

Even if it is real and for publicity, pretty dumb way to do it just to make up for crappy commercials.
Roadbuster
Faction Commander
Posts: 4478
News Credits: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:23 pm

Postby Autobobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
One more reason why this is completely impossible:

Sonic is a word. It was not invented by either of them, therefore the word "sonic" alone cannot be copyrighted. "Sonic the Hedgehog" probably can, and "Sonic Drive-In" possibly can. But the word "sonic" is not owned by anybody at all.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Spoon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 pm

LoL.
American stupidity at it's best.
Spoon

Postby Autobobby1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Spoon wrote:LoL.
American stupidity at it's best.


Damn straight. There's no way that this coul even get to court, if it was real.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby The Happy Locust » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Motto: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools- Douglas Adams"
Weapon: Black Magic
I doubt the validity of this report.
Next up on Pimp My Jeager.
Image


LocustManX2: New Episodes now showing!
Famous Characters, Locustized! now taking requests.

Psycho Warrior wrote:for this reason, that is why I like to be around Locust. fun stuff happens.
User avatar
The Happy Locust
God Of Transformers
Posts: 35282
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:46 pm
Location: In dreams, in nightmares, in embarrassing fantasies.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Rank: 1
Courage: 2
Firepower: 3
Skill: 10

Postby ChrisR291 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:36 pm

I think Sonic has some ground to stand on however. I'll give sworn testimony because yesterday.... I was hungry and Brought Sonic for my 360 and then brought a Sonic Burger.
Image

GET READY FOR IT.....
ChrisR291
Targetmaster
Posts: 653
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:04 pm

Postby Autobot032 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:58 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
1.) This article is not real.
2.) There is no case at all.
3.) Sonic The Hedgehog was created by Sonic Team in Japan And released their games through Sega. (Sonic Drive-Ins do not exist outside of the United States, plus I doubt the team had ever heard of them. I know several people who live in the US who've never heard of the Drive-In.)

This is all bull, and you're being pulled into the ploy. Threads like this need a lockdown, and the poster needs a beatdown. I don't care which way you choose to go, but get it done soon, and make sure the beatdown is bloody and full of gore please.

....we really like to punish idiots.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8952
News Credits: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Venomous Prime » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:50 am

Motto: "You don't know peace until you've had suffering"
Weapon: Double Venom Lasers
Autobobby1 wrote:
Spoon wrote:LoL.
American stupidity at it's best.


Damn straight. There's no way that this coul even get to court, if it was real.


Evidently you never watch the news...There are rediculus lawsuits that make it to court and even win.

Like the woman who spilled McDonalds coffee on herself and then sued McDonald's for it being hot?

The kids suing McDonald's for "making them fat"

The thief who got his hand ran over when he was trying to steal a hubcap

The thief that broke into a house, got attacked by a dog, then sued the owners dog for the injuries received from the dog.

All these cases made it to court and WON.

the American way..SUE SUE SUE.
Image
User avatar
Venomous Prime
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7428
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:14 am
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Duke of Luns » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:22 am

It's dumb, and I hope it's fake. Honestly, how could anyone mistake a restaurant for a video games store? And this is fishy to me:

"No one would seek to play a Sonic video game in this day and age, and even if they did, they could tell the difference between a large order of french fries and a pixelated fictional character," explained analyst Kim Nijiyakama of Squidge & Ord. "This is the most assinine lawsuit since the time Sega tried to sue the YTMND website."


What is this "Squidge & Ord", and how does he know no one wants to play Sonic games? It's not like he's a dead character, there's still Sonic games coming out every year. And what is this "YTMND" website?
Image
Duke of Luns
Faction Commander
Posts: 4204
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:19 pm
Location: North Central West Virginia

Postby Shadowman » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:33 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Duke of Luns wrote:And what is this "YTMND" website?


There was a movie called "Finding Forrester" where Sean Connery taught a young kid to be a good writer. At some point, Connery shouts out, "You're the man now, dawg!" (Which is hilarious only when he says it)

They took that name, and put in into a website that features a single picture making up the background (In tiles, usually) with a phrase in 3D text. It even fuels a lot of internet memes. (All your base are belong to us)

It's very hard to explain properly.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28991
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Postby Autobobby1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 am

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Shadowman wrote:
Duke of Luns wrote:And what is this "YTMND" website?


There was a movie called "Finding Forrester" where Sean Connery taught a young kid to be a good writer. At some point, Connery shouts out, "You're the man now, dawg!" (Which is hilarious only when he says it)

They took that name, and put in into a website that features a single picture making up the background (In tiles, usually) with a phrase in 3D text. It even fuels a lot of internet memes. (All your base are belong to us)

It's very hard to explain properly.


They were sued because they spliced together sound bytes from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to make Sonic swear. Sega's never heard of fan movies, I guess. All over the internet, there are movies with Sonic swearing.

I think that it's fishy that nobody plays Sonic games. That makes it fake, since there are hordes of Sonic fans, and tons of Sonic games.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Psycho Warrior » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Motto: "Treachery keeps everyone on their toes."
Weapon: Corrosive Slime Shooter
Autobobby1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Duke of Luns wrote:And what is this "YTMND" website?


There was a movie called "Finding Forrester" where Sean Connery taught a young kid to be a good writer. At some point, Connery shouts out, "You're the man now, dawg!" (Which is hilarious only when he says it)

They took that name, and put in into a website that features a single picture making up the background (In tiles, usually) with a phrase in 3D text. It even fuels a lot of internet memes. (All your base are belong to us)

It's very hard to explain properly.


They were sued because they spliced together sound bytes from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to make Sonic swear. Sega's never heard of fan movies, I guess. All over the internet, there are movies with Sonic swearing.

I think that it's fishy that nobody plays Sonic games. That makes it fake, since there are hordes of Sonic fans, and tons of Sonic games.

Not just swear, but talk to the kids about anal rape. it was hilarious. XD
Image
The Happy Locust wrote:Effort is not power, knowledge is not power, even money is not power. True power is not caring that you f*ck up all the time.
User avatar
Psycho Warrior
God Of Transformers
Posts: 36800
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 pm
Location: Antarctica, enjoying summer.
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Rank: 2
Courage: 5
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby LT.Zerge » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:23 pm

Weapon: Air-To-Ground Missiles
Psycho Warrior wrote:
Autobobby1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Duke of Luns wrote:And what is this "YTMND" website?


There was a movie called "Finding Forrester" where Sean Connery taught a young kid to be a good writer. At some point, Connery shouts out, "You're the man now, dawg!" (Which is hilarious only when he says it)

They took that name, and put in into a website that features a single picture making up the background (In tiles, usually) with a phrase in 3D text. It even fuels a lot of internet memes. (All your base are belong to us)

It's very hard to explain properly.


They were sued because they spliced together sound bytes from the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to make Sonic swear. Sega's never heard of fan movies, I guess. All over the internet, there are movies with Sonic swearing.

I think that it's fishy that nobody plays Sonic games. That makes it fake, since there are hordes of Sonic fans, and tons of Sonic games.

Not just swear, but talk to the kids about anal rape. it was hilarious. XD


lol. I had that on a a YTMND album I got from a friend. #5 of album 9 I think. XD
LT.Zerge
Micromaster
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Junkion
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby E107_Theta » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:41 pm

I hope this is true, and the Sonic video game series ceases to exist. Doubt it will happen, but one can always dream.

Sonic hasn't been doing well lately. The poor guy is in pain, he's suffering. He really needs to be put down.

I've been hoping SEGA would go backrupt and a decent developer like Nintendo would grab the copyright for Sonic, so he can, you know, actually be in some good games again, but I've come to realize that Sonic is past his prime, even his creator has given up on him, and there aren't going to be good Sonic games anymore.

I've been hopefully waiting for a new 2.5D, ala Paper Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for a next gen console... but I'm not holding my breath.

Like Final Fantasy and Mega Man... the Hedgehog is just dead to me now. If they can't make good Sonic games, I wish they'd stop making them, period. It only hurts our brains having to look at them and know they exist.

Well, at least Mario, Zelda and Castlevania are still cool. They're the only prominent video games from my youth that have yet to be raped...
E107_Theta
Minibot
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:08 pm

Postby Autobot032 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:28 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
E107_Theta wrote:I hope this is true, and the Sonic video game series ceases to exist. Doubt it will happen, but one can always dream.

Sonic hasn't been doing well lately. The poor guy is in pain, he's suffering. He really needs to be put down.

I've been hoping SEGA would go backrupt and a decent developer like Nintendo would grab the copyright for Sonic, so he can, you know, actually be in some good games again, but I've come to realize that Sonic is past his prime, even his creator has given up on him, and there aren't going to be good Sonic games anymore.

I've been hopefully waiting for a new 2.5D, ala Paper Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for a next gen console... but I'm not holding my breath.

Like Final Fantasy and Mega Man... the Hedgehog is just dead to me now. If they can't make good Sonic games, I wish they'd stop making them, period. It only hurts our brains having to look at them and know they exist.

Well, at least Mario, Zelda and Castlevania are still cool. They're the only prominent video games from my youth that have yet to be raped...
8-| :HEADHURTS: :BANG_HEAD: :SICK:
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8952
News Credits: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby UltraPrimal » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
APRIL FOOLS EVERYONE!

BTW Venomous Prime, your avatar gave me a stroke and now I am going to sue you for 2.5 trillion dollars.
Image
User avatar
UltraPrimal
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5983
News Credits: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:21 am
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity


Return to Video Games Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014