Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby dinogeist » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Megatron had a starring role in the 2007 movie & had a glorious death.

Hasbro chose to cheapen movie verses megatron's deathy by bringing megatron back in ROTF & DOTM. because Hasbro views megatron & optimus Prime as their flag ship captains on each faction side in the media/toys/comics/cartoons.

the main reasons why megatron wasn't the main bad guy in both ROTF & Dotm. was because he wasn't suspose to be their,he was suspose to be dead. hasbro forced him back in.

most action movies that have heroes fighting a bunch of villians. kills of one main bad guy in a movie. then moves on to the next bad guy in the next movie & so forth. examples: the various different batman movies,spiderman movies,etc...
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 pm

deathy wrote:Megatron had a starring role in the 2007 movie & had a glorious death.

Hasbro chose to cheapen movie verses megatron's deathy by bringing megatron back in ROTF & DOTM. because Hasbro views megatron & optimus Prime as their flag ship captains on each faction side in the media/toys/comics/cartoons.

the main reasons why megatron wasn't the main bad guy in both ROTF & Dotm. was because he wasn't suspose to be their,he was suspose to be dead. hasbro forced him back in.

most action movies that have heroes fighting a bunch of villians. kills of one main bad guy in a movie. then moves on to the next bad guy in the next movie & so forth. examples: the various different batman movies,spiderman movies,etc...


Hasbro has a bad habit of doing that. Just look at the '85 film, where characters only died to facilitate the debut of new toys.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby dinogeist » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:Going only by the novel (which we can assume to have been the original story), Megs does hold true to his word, and leaves Earth with the remaining Decepticons.
And even if you choose to ignore the novel, the point still stands that Megatron went out of his way to save Optimus; something he would not have done if he genuinely wanted to keep slaughtering humans.


Ah, no we can't assume it. It says it's based off of the screenplay, written by Ehren Kruger. That doesn't mean the author of the novel didn't make creative changes. The screenplay/script that Bay keeps on his person, is and always has been THE official story. It's not a matter of ignoring the novel, it's a matter of fact. The novel is based on, but not verbatim.

Even you can't argue that.

Megatron only saved Optimus for a reason. A reason that would further his agenda, not out of mercy. And he would've ended up slaughtering humans. Where would he get the resources to rebuild, other than Earth? I mean, Cybertron's sitting in our orbit (although, considering it's size, technically we were orbiting it...), what's to stop him from killing humans at that point? Can you honestly tell me, or anyone that? I don't think so.

Cheesinator wrote:Like I said, the whole thing with him saving Optimus doesn't really make sense in any context (if he's still evil, it's downright stupid, and if he's genuinely 'good' now...it's a bit sudden and groundless).


Of course it makes sense.

On the one hand, he and Optimus could team up to take out Sentinel, which they pretty much did.
On the other hand, he could use Optimus to help rebuild and then once he's outlived his usefulness, BAM, Autobots go bye bye.

Plus, if Prime had been stupid enough to take the offer, Megatron would be leader once more. His way, his rule, no questions. He would be a God among mortals, basically. Prime wants peace, so if his enemy offers a truce, he must be willing to take it, right? Problem is, Megatron was wrong. Prime wants peace, but not through tyranny.

Cheesinator wrote:The fact that Optimus is a big fan of freedom and peace should be enough for him to...oh, I don't know, NOT decapitate someone who'd saved his life and was trying to peacefully end a war. That's the precise kind of ruthless, bloodthirsty attitude that the Deceptions generally possess, and that the Autobots are supposed to be fighting against.


Megatron didn't save his life for a good reason. It could even be argued that he was so blinded by his rage after the humiliation that Sentinel publicly gave him, that he temporarily lost his sense.

There was no peaceful resolution to the war. When someone who's just killed nearly a million human beings offers you a truce in which HE rules all of you, while holding a shotgun, that ain't peace. That's just a way to win, and he wasn't expecting Optimus to say "Screw it, and screw you."

Optimus was fighting a war. He was defending us. If it wasn't for Megatron screwing around, the Autobots may have never found Sentinel Prime. If he hadn't been revived, Ironhide and the twins wouldn't have been murdered in cold blood. They might've bit the bullet in the war at some point, but they wouldn't have been murdered. They didn't really get a chance to fight, it was a sneak attack. And it's all Megatron's doing.

Prime's response was reasonable. To both Megatron and Sentinel.

This ain't G1. No one's going to be holding hands, singing songs, and figuring out who's the next Brony Of The Year. This was war and someone had to win. Win, the Autobots did.


I agree with Autobot032 in this reply he wrote.

The same exact scenario happened with the DBZ/DBGT fans. when various fans was wondering why the main hero GOKU was so cruel in killing the villians in DBZ/DBGT. And why did he not show them mercy & let them live like GOKU did in the DB series.

My answer & various other Fans answer is as follows. Sometimes the main villian isn't worth showing mercy nor saving. due to him being overly obsessed with his evil plans & dark heart he possess. sometimes letting someone live would do more harm than good. as the main villian would still kill lives,still plot evil schemes. theirs also the chance the main villian becomes stronger than the main hero as time goes on. if their is no hope for good in the main bad guy,then he might as well die when the hero has a chance to kill him. why delay in inevitable & let the bad guy keep repeating his evil cycle over & over.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby alternator77 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Motto: "we choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them"
Weapon: Electron-Scimitars
after millions of years of war no one knows megatrons mind like optimus and he knew the only reason he helpped prime is because sentinel wouldnt hesitate to wipe the floor with him.
sentinel was ordering around the ships while megatron was slumped next to a building on the ground.HE was running the show and megs as well as prime knew it.

and megan seriously? has anyone been in a relationship here (sarcasm) who gives a damn :roll: i mean seriously they dated they broke up he moved on end of story i dont go see a TRANSFORMERS movie to hear about how he and some chick he dated in the first 2 movies broke up. i want to see action not 20 minutes devoted to explaining what happens in real life all the time.

ok rant over :D
alternator77
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:10 pm
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Cheesinator » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:Going only by the novel (which we can assume to have been the original story), Megs does hold true to his word, and leaves Earth with the remaining Decepticons.
And even if you choose to ignore the novel, the point still stands that Megatron went out of his way to save Optimus; something he would not have done if he genuinely wanted to keep slaughtering humans.


Ah, no we can't assume it. It says it's based off of the screenplay, written by Ehren Kruger. That doesn't mean the author of the novel didn't make creative changes. The screenplay/script that Bay keeps on his person, is and always has been THE official story. It's not a matter of ignoring the novel, it's a matter of fact. The novel is based on, but not verbatim.

Even you can't argue that.

Megatron only saved Optimus for a reason. A reason that would further his agenda, not out of mercy. And he would've ended up slaughtering humans. Where would he get the resources to rebuild, other than Earth? I mean, Cybertron's sitting in our orbit (although, considering it's size, technically we were orbiting it...), what's to stop him from killing humans at that point? Can you honestly tell me, or anyone that? I don't think so.


True. Novels are ignored then. By your own logic though, we can make no assumptions at all regarding Megatron’s motives and what he would have done post-DOTM.

And if you’d seen the movie, you’d know that Cybertron is now destroyed. He has no reason to enslave the humans. Even if he did want to enslave humans, it would make even less sense that he actively prevented Optimus’ death. Optimus is his biggest obstacle in that regard, so why save him?

Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:Like I said, the whole thing with him saving Optimus doesn't really make sense in any context (if he's still evil, it's downright stupid, and if he's genuinely 'good' now...it's a bit sudden and groundless).


Of course it makes sense.

On the one hand, he and Optimus could team up to take out Sentinel, which they pretty much did.
On the other hand, he could use Optimus to help rebuild and then once he's outlived his usefulness, BAM, Autobots go bye bye.

Plus, if Prime had been stupid enough to take the offer, Megatron would be leader once more. His way, his rule, no questions. He would be a God among mortals, basically. Prime wants peace, so if his enemy offers a truce, he must be willing to take it, right? Problem is, Megatron was wrong. Prime wants peace, but not through tyranny.


Megatron beat Sentinel with no assistance from Optimus whatsoever. Again, if you’d seen the movie you’d know that. And if he wants to keep making evil schemes, Optimus would obviously keep opposing him, so there’s no reason to keep him alive unless Megatron was being sincere. The only real motivation he gives in-canon is that he wants to be in charge. If he wanted to be tyrannical and in charge, he'd have let Optimus die and then kill Sentinel. The fact that he saved Optimus means he is clearly willing to make compromises on pretty much everything else (given that “rule everything” and “kill Optimus” have been his two biggest key goals for the entire series so far).

Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:The fact that Optimus is a big fan of freedom and peace should be enough for him to...oh, I don't know, NOT decapitate someone who'd saved his life and was trying to peacefully end a war. That's the precise kind of ruthless, bloodthirsty attitude that the Deceptions generally possess, and that the Autobots are supposed to be fighting against.


Megatron didn't save his life for a good reason. It could even be argued that he was so blinded by his rage after the humiliation that Sentinel publicly gave him, that he temporarily lost his sense.

There was no peaceful resolution to the war. When someone who's just killed nearly a million human beings offers you a truce in which HE rules all of you, while holding a shotgun, that ain't peace. That's just a way to win, and he wasn't expecting Optimus to say "Screw it, and screw you."

Optimus was fighting a war. He was defending us. If it wasn't for Megatron screwing around, the Autobots may have never found Sentinel Prime. If he hadn't been revived, Ironhide and the twins wouldn't have been murdered in cold blood. They might've bit the bullet in the war at some point, but they wouldn't have been murdered. They didn't really get a chance to fight, it was a sneak attack. And it's all Megatron's doing.

Prime's response was reasonable. To both Megatron and Sentinel.

This ain't G1. No one's going to be holding hands, singing songs, and figuring out who's the next Brony Of The Year. This was war and someone had to win. Win, the Autobots did.


You’re contradicting yourself. You just said Megatron had reason to save Optimus, and now you’re saying he doesn’t. You also said the novel is to be ignored, and the Twins’ death is a novel-only occurrence. They’re not in the movie.

Anyway, the movie ends almost immediately after Optimus kills Sentinel. Evidently, the war is won, regardless of the status of Megatron. He should CERTAINLY be held accountable for his actions, but in light of his recent turn, his execution at Optimus’ hand seemed a little excessive.
Image
User avatar
Cheesinator
Micromaster
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Starscream GaGa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Motto: ""I'm a free Decepti-bitch, baby!""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I don't think the novels can be ignored because it seems, based on how rushed the scene was and considering the previous scene with Carly, the original intent was to go with the novel's ending. It think Optimus killing Megatron was a last minute change in order to save time.
Starscream GaGa
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 504
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 am
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Cheesinator » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
I only referred to the novel in regards to the 'what if' scenario of Optimus accepting Megatron's truce. The point being that, people are saying with certainty that Megatron would have just kept killing if Optimus had agreed in the movie, but the only official media exploring that scenario depicts him sticking to his word and leaving peacefully (hell, one could even say he's leaving on friendly terms with Optimus; promising to send for the Autobots when Cybertron is habitable).

Not saying that the novel ending is any more realistic, or has any bearing on the movie ending. It's just a good counterpoint for those calling bullsh*t on Megatron's truce in the movie.
Image
User avatar
Cheesinator
Micromaster
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby dinogeist » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Cheesinator wrote:I only referred to the novel in regards to the 'what if' scenario of Optimus accepting Megatron's truce. The point being that, people are saying with certainty that Megatron would have just kept killing if Optimus had agreed in the movie, but the only official media exploring that scenario depicts him sticking to his word and leaving peacefully (hell, one could even say he's leaving on friendly terms with Optimus; promising to send for the Autobots when Cybertron is habitable).

Not saying that the novel ending is any more realistic, or has any bearing on the movie ending. It's just a good counterpoint for those calling bullsh*t on Megatron's truce in the movie.


My personal take on this is. I view the TF movies & TF cartoons as the ultimate canon that is more canon that the novels/comics/books.

This is how I personally view this situation mentioned in this reply,I don't care if it's wrong or right.

my reasons are as follows: (1) the TF Movies/Cartoon make more money/profit. than the TF Comics/books/novels can ever dream of making money/profit. (2) The TF movies/Cartoons get a much bigger audience & are more out their to see by more people.

Hardly anyone reads comics like they use to 26+years ago. not that many read nor buy movie/cartoon adaption novels/books.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby FortMacs » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Weapon: Gatling Cannon
i was very unhappy with megatron, i was hoping for an epic battle and i get some bs where for some reason he and prime switch roles. megatron wouldnt offer a peace, and prime wouldnt respond with ripping his head off. other way around and it woulda made sense. then on top of that prime has to be near death, where megatron hasnt been touched and still does it. just didnt make sense to me.

I was disapointed with most of the deaths in the movie. shockwave went down without much of a fight, especially considering the way everyone seemed to fear him. starscreams death was the worse for me though, sam?? really?? and because he grabbed one eye with a claw.... seemed silly to me. i oculd go on with the other deaths...
Image
User avatar
FortMacs
City Commander
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:17 am
Location: charlotte, nc
Buy from FortMacs on eBay

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Autobot032 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Cheesinator wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:Going only by the novel (which we can assume to have been the original story), Megs does hold true to his word, and leaves Earth with the remaining Decepticons.
And even if you choose to ignore the novel, the point still stands that Megatron went out of his way to save Optimus; something he would not have done if he genuinely wanted to keep slaughtering humans.


Ah, no we can't assume it. It says it's based off of the screenplay, written by Ehren Kruger. That doesn't mean the author of the novel didn't make creative changes. The screenplay/script that Bay keeps on his person, is and always has been THE official story. It's not a matter of ignoring the novel, it's a matter of fact. The novel is based on, but not verbatim.

Even you can't argue that.

Megatron only saved Optimus for a reason. A reason that would further his agenda, not out of mercy. And he would've ended up slaughtering humans. Where would he get the resources to rebuild, other than Earth? I mean, Cybertron's sitting in our orbit (although, considering it's size, technically we were orbiting it...), what's to stop him from killing humans at that point? Can you honestly tell me, or anyone that? I don't think so.


True. Novels are ignored then. By your own logic though, we can make no assumptions at all regarding Megatron’s motives and what he would have done post-DOTM.

And if you’d seen the movie, you’d know that Cybertron is now destroyed. He has no reason to enslave the humans. Even if he did want to enslave humans, it would make even less sense that he actively prevented Optimus’ death. Optimus is his biggest obstacle in that regard, so why save him?


I did see the movie. Opening day. Why would I discuss a movie in great detail, details I couldn't possibly know, if I haven't seen the film? What on Earth ever gave you the idea that I hadn't? *shakes head*

I never said Cybertron survived... I used present tense in terms of Cybertron when talking about the scene. I didn't say it was still there. I was addressing the scene in the moment.

And no, my logic isn't flawed. After seeing all three movies, after seeing what Megatron is capable of, we have every reason to make assumptions about his motives and what he would've done. He himself even said a truce where he remains leader.

Cheesinator wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:Like I said, the whole thing with him saving Optimus doesn't really make sense in any context (if he's still evil, it's downright stupid, and if he's genuinely 'good' now...it's a bit sudden and groundless).


Of course it makes sense.

On the one hand, he and Optimus could team up to take out Sentinel, which they pretty much did.
On the other hand, he could use Optimus to help rebuild and then once he's outlived his usefulness, BAM, Autobots go bye bye.

Plus, if Prime had been stupid enough to take the offer, Megatron would be leader once more. His way, his rule, no questions. He would be a God among mortals, basically. Prime wants peace, so if his enemy offers a truce, he must be willing to take it, right? Problem is, Megatron was wrong. Prime wants peace, but not through tyranny.


Megatron beat Sentinel with no assistance from Optimus whatsoever. Again, if you’d seen the movie you’d know that. And if he wants to keep making evil schemes, Optimus would obviously keep opposing him, so there’s no reason to keep him alive unless Megatron was being sincere. The only real motivation he gives in-canon is that he wants to be in charge. If he wanted to be tyrannical and in charge, he'd have let Optimus die and then kill Sentinel. The fact that he saved Optimus means he is clearly willing to make compromises on pretty much everything else (given that “rule everything” and “kill Optimus” have been his two biggest key goals for the entire series so far).


Again, I DID SEE THE FILM! You certainly do like to condescend, don't you? You're surely getting riled up over this and it's all for a piece of fiction.

Cheesinator wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
Cheesinator wrote:The fact that Optimus is a big fan of freedom and peace should be enough for him to...oh, I don't know, NOT decapitate someone who'd saved his life and was trying to peacefully end a war. That's the precise kind of ruthless, bloodthirsty attitude that the Deceptions generally possess, and that the Autobots are supposed to be fighting against.


Megatron didn't save his life for a good reason. It could even be argued that he was so blinded by his rage after the humiliation that Sentinel publicly gave him, that he temporarily lost his sense.

There was no peaceful resolution to the war. When someone who's just killed nearly a million human beings offers you a truce in which HE rules all of you, while holding a shotgun, that ain't peace. That's just a way to win, and he wasn't expecting Optimus to say "Screw it, and screw you."

Optimus was fighting a war. He was defending us. If it wasn't for Megatron screwing around, the Autobots may have never found Sentinel Prime. If he hadn't been revived, Ironhide and the twins wouldn't have been murdered in cold blood. They might've bit the bullet in the war at some point, but they wouldn't have been murdered. They didn't really get a chance to fight, it was a sneak attack. And it's all Megatron's doing.

Prime's response was reasonable. To both Megatron and Sentinel.

This ain't G1. No one's going to be holding hands, singing songs, and figuring out who's the next Brony Of The Year. This was war and someone had to win. Win, the Autobots did.


You’re contradicting yourself. You just said Megatron had reason to save Optimus, and now you’re saying he doesn’t. You also said the novel is to be ignored, and the Twins’ death is a novel-only occurrence. They’re not in the movie.


I'm not contradicting myself. I'm trying to cover all the bases with reasons for and against. In the end, this is all moot, because it ended how it ended and we have no way to change it. Prime offed Megatron and Sentinel, whether or not you agree with it, that's how it is.

As for the twins, they are in the film. In vehicle mode, and you can see a piece of one of their limbs while Bumblebee is jumping around trying to avoid Sentinel's weapon fire. They were cut out at the last minute, and the rough editing is the end result.

Cheesinator wrote:Anyway, the movie ends almost immediately after Optimus kills Sentinel. Evidently, the war is won, regardless of the status of Megatron. He should CERTAINLY be held accountable for his actions, but in light of his recent turn, his execution at Optimus’ hand seemed a little excessive.


.....AGAIN, I DID SEE THE FILM! I HAVE THE TICKET STUB TO PROVE IT!

I know how it ends, I watched the whole thing. The entire thing. His execution was well deserved.

*sighs* Movie discussion is just insanity inducing, it really is. I definitely see why people are starting to avoid the topic where and when necessary. It's a movie, it's a toyline, nothing more, nothing less. It just isn't worth this kind of frustration, it really isn't. >_<
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8996
News Credits: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby dinogeist » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 pm

I also saw the DOTM movie.

Lets get one fact straight. Megatron Didn't beat/defeat Sentinel prime in a fair fight.

Megatron attacked sentinel prime from the back when he was looking/expecting it. to make matters worse sentinel prime was a bit exausted due to him fighting optimus prime.

this is called cheating or/and a dis-honable defeat of one's opponent.

had megatron taken on sentinel prime face to face,he would have lost the fight. because DOTM megatron was in a weakened/battle damaged state. due to his injuries he substained in the ROTF movie.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
deathy wrote:I also saw the DOTM movie.

Lets get one fact straight. Megatron Didn't beat/defeat Sentinel prime in a fair fight.

Megatron attacked sentinel prime from the back when he was looking/expecting it. to make matters worse sentinel prime was a bit exausted due to him fighting optimus prime.

this is called cheating or/and a dis-honable defeat of one's opponent.

had megatron taken on sentinel prime face to face,he would have lost the fight. because DOTM megatron was in a weakened/battle damaged state. due to his injuries he substained in the ROTF movie.


Lets also take another point into concideration...

For the most part, all the decepticon generals (by generals i mean main characters) such as shockwave, Starscream, Soundwave etc;.. Basicly anyone worth a damn capable of defeating the remaining surviving autobots) were dead. Most of the autobots were still alive. If Megatron lets Sentinel kill Optimus, then he offs Sentinel, the remaining Autobots are going to do everything they can to stop Megatron. Megatron needed Optimus so the remaining Autobots would go along with the plan, as well as the to call off the remaing human attack.

And becides, bottom line is it really doesn't matter if Megs was sencere about his truce. He killed Optimus in the past, slaughtered thousands of humans, and is responsible for Autobot deaths. These actions can not go un-punished. You can not just turn a blind shoulder at the past because your enemy all of a sudden offers it. Especialy when that truce comes with conditions.
For the life of me, i just don't see why people are getting upset atthe way Optimus terminated his life! :BANG_HEAD: I mean it
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1188
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Capt.Failure » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:42 am

5150 Cruiser wrote:
deathy wrote:I also saw the DOTM movie.

Lets get one fact straight. Megatron Didn't beat/defeat Sentinel prime in a fair fight.

Megatron attacked sentinel prime from the back when he was looking/expecting it. to make matters worse sentinel prime was a bit exausted due to him fighting optimus prime.

this is called cheating or/and a dis-honable defeat of one's opponent.

had megatron taken on sentinel prime face to face,he would have lost the fight. because DOTM megatron was in a weakened/battle damaged state. due to his injuries he substained in the ROTF movie.


Lets also take another point into concideration...

For the most part, all the decepticon generals (by generals i mean main characters) such as shockwave, Starscream, Soundwave etc;.. Basicly anyone worth a damn capable of defeating the remaining surviving autobots) were dead. Most of the autobots were still alive. If Megatron lets Sentinel kill Optimus, then he offs Sentinel, the remaining Autobots are going to do everything they can to stop Megatron. Megatron needed Optimus so the remaining Autobots would go along with the plan, as well as the to call off the remaing human attack.

And becides, bottom line is it really doesn't matter if Megs was sencere about his truce. He killed Optimus in the past, slaughtered thousands of humans, and is responsible for Autobot deaths. These actions can not go un-punished. You can not just turn a blind shoulder at the past because your enemy all of a sudden offers it. Especialy when that truce comes with conditions.
For the life of me, i just don't see why people are getting upset atthe way Optimus terminated his life! :BANG_HEAD: I mean it


I do believe it's people still unwilling to realize that these are movies, not kids shows, and thus are gonna have more room to show just how violent a war is going to be. Quite simply the black and white morality of the cartoons will not fit in a theatrical film. Mature storytellers realize that sometimes the heroes are gonna need to do ugly things to ensure the safety of those they hold dear. You know, like killing the mass murdering psychopath who's responsible for three attempts at destroying all life on a planet.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby insanity 22 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 am

I really don't know how I feel about Prime killing Megatron that fast. But if you think about it
TF 1 prequel: Megatron ripped out BB's voicebox
TF 1 Megatron ripped, Jazz his 1st lieutenant, in two
ROTF: Megatron killed Optimus
DOTM:Optimus was betrayed, Sentinel killed Ironhide with cosmic rust which IMO is worse than murder and also, Sentinel took his arm offSo if I was Optimus I would be a little bitter too.
insanity 22
Mini-Con
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Pot Bot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 am

Weapon: Electro-Sword
I think i need to watch again, or maybe because i havent read the novel i looked at it differently, i saw it as Carly infuriating megs to the point he saw red and wanted to rip sentinal to pieces no matter what, then with sentinal dead, optimus slaughted a weakened and now calmed down megs. Its also how everyone else i went with looked at it.

I also think Mikela wouldve done that lil chat 100% better.
User avatar
Pot Bot
Godmaster
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Telford: UK

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby moritron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:52 am

Motto: "don't let the turkey's get you down, you gotta fly like an eagle, not be like a turkey..."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
I thought megatron only attacked sentinel because he saw him as a threat to his leadership, which he was. I don't think he intended to save prime, only attack sentinel. also i thought the "truce" megatron was offering was for the autobots to join with the decepticons, with megatron in command, i might have misunderstood, but that's what i got from it. seems like megatron deserved what he got, a truce seems much less likely, and to me would have been less likely of an ending.
User avatar
moritron
Mini-Con
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: maine
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Pot Bot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 am

Weapon: Electro-Sword
moritron wrote:I thought megatron only attacked sentinel because he saw him as a threat to his leadership, which he was. I don't think he intended to save prime, only attack sentinel. also i thought the "truce" megatron was offering was for the autobots to join with the decepticons, with megatron in command, i might have misunderstood, but that's what i got from it. seems like megatron deserved what he got, a truce seems much less likely, and to me would have been less likely of an ending.


As i stated above, thats pretty much what i got from it
User avatar
Pot Bot
Godmaster
Posts: 1931
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Telford: UK

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Cheesinator » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 am

Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
Capt.Failure wrote:I do believe it's people still unwilling to realize that these are movies, not kids shows, and thus are gonna have more room to show just how violent a war is going to be. Quite simply the black and white morality of the cartoons will not fit in a theatrical film. Mature storytellers realize that sometimes the heroes are gonna need to do ugly things to ensure the safety of those they hold dear. You know, like killing the mass murdering psychopath who's responsible for three attempts at destroying all life on a planet.


Amusing you say that, given how most of Optimus' lines seem to be lifted straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon (with his occasional quips about killing things being the exceptions), and display the black and white morality of the cartoons.

Optimus is constantly preaching freedom, peace and the value of life, yet the choices he makes and actions he takes are as harsh and cruel as any of Megatron's (such as deeming the extinction of one race and planet acceptable in order to secure the survival of another race and planet that he finds acceptable).

Of course, that's only if you read into it. The way Optimus takes out his enemies isn't to show how ugly war is, it's to make him look awesome and provide cool looking scenes for a mindless action movie. I sincerely doubt that Bay or any of the production team read into these actions like we are doing.
Image
User avatar
Cheesinator
Micromaster
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby sten whik » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:12 am

It seems to me that Linkin Park's song Iridescent fits more with the truce ending...

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
you build up hope, but failure's all you've known
remember all the sadness and frustration
and let it go.

The song appears to be telling Megatron and Optimus Prime to forget the war and be friends.
I'm not sure if this is a useful point for this topic but I thought I would mention it all the same.
sten whik
Mini-Con
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby JeffX » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 am

I just saw the movie last night. The whole thing about Megan Fox was kind of a low blow, but she brought it on herself. But atleast she was mentioned and not just brought up. We found out what happened to a point and that was it. Couples breakup and I don't see why it can't be any different in a movie.

Megatron was definitely toned down this movie. I'm figuring this was due to his injuries from ROTF. Him turning on Sentinel was a classic Megatron move. He had no intention on starting a truce with Optimus. He wanted Cybertron there and he wanted Sentinel out of the way. In his shape, he wouldn't have been able to beat him. So he took him out, only to have Optimus take him out. It makes sense to me.
JeffX
Micromaster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby dinogeist » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 am

insanity 22 wrote:I really don't know how I feel about Prime killing Megatron that fast. But if you think about it
TF 1 prequel: Megatron ripped out BB's voicebox
TF 1 Megatron ripped, Jazz his 1st lieutenant, in two
ROTF: Megatron killed Optimus
DOTM:Optimus was betrayed, Sentinel killed Ironhide with cosmic rust which IMO is worse than murder and also, Sentinel took his arm offSo if I was Optimus I would be a little bitter too.


where exactly did you get the "cosmic rust" part from??

I clearly saw Sentinel prime shoot various times at ironhide from the back. then proceed to ripp him apart.

once ironhide was dead,his head fell off & his body began to decompose.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby SlyTF1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
deathy wrote:
insanity 22 wrote:I really don't know how I feel about Prime killing Megatron that fast. But if you think about it
TF 1 prequel: Megatron ripped out BB's voicebox
TF 1 Megatron ripped, Jazz his 1st lieutenant, in two
ROTF: Megatron killed Optimus
DOTM:Optimus was betrayed, Sentinel killed Ironhide with cosmic rust which IMO is worse than murder and also, Sentinel took his arm offSo if I was Optimus I would be a little bitter too.


where exactly did you get the "cosmic rust" part from??

I clearly saw Sentinel prime shoot various times at ironhide from the back. then proceed to ripp him apart.

once ironhide was dead,his head fell off & his body began to decompose.


Why the hell else would he decompose?
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4142
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Bonecrusher27 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:48 am

deathy wrote:
where exactly did you get the "cosmic rust" part from??

I clearly saw Sentinel prime shoot various times at ironhide from the back. then proceed to ripp him apart.

once ironhide was dead,his head fell off & his body began to decompose.


I believe some people mentioned that the novel describes a special cannon Sentinel Prime has.

Unfortunately it was the only spoiler that managed to slip past my defences, lessening the impact of that moment for me. But it sure looked like exactly what happened to Ironhide. He just got eaten alive by rust and disintegrated. What a shitty moment for me, since Ironhide was my favourite Autobot, and immediately after he and Sideswipe looked so damn cool finishing off the Dreads.

That scene incidentally really decided me that Sentinel Prime wasn't a torn and troubled soul. There seemed to be a real wicked glee since Ironhide was already stunned, but the fact he continued pumping shots into him means he really wanted him dead. Plus his snide "You're discharged from duty" or something like that really makes what happened in the end where Prime executes him entirely justified in my opinion.

By the way, I'm not 'spoilerizing' my posts. I assume that anyone who visits this forum already has watched DOTM or doesn't care about spoilers?
Bonecrusher27
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 965
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:09 am

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby Autobot032 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
No cosmic rust, people. An acid rust cannon. Acid. Rust.

Bonecrusher27 wrote:
deathy wrote:
where exactly did you get the "cosmic rust" part from??

I clearly saw Sentinel prime shoot various times at ironhide from the back. then proceed to ripp him apart.

once ironhide was dead,his head fell off & his body began to decompose.


I believe some people mentioned that the novel describes a special cannon Sentinel Prime has.

Unfortunately it was the only spoiler that managed to slip past my defences, lessening the impact of that moment for me. But it sure looked like exactly what happened to Ironhide. He just got eaten alive by rust and disintegrated. What a shitty moment for me, since Ironhide was my favourite Autobot, and immediately after he and Sideswipe looked so damn cool finishing off the Dreads.

That scene incidentally really decided me that Sentinel Prime wasn't a torn and troubled soul. There seemed to be a real wicked glee since Ironhide was already stunned, but the fact he continued pumping shots into him means he really wanted him dead. Plus his snide "You're discharged from duty" or something like that really makes what happened in the end where Prime executes him entirely justified in my opinion.

By the way, I'm not 'spoilerizing' my posts. I assume that anyone who visits this forum already has watched DOTM or doesn't care about spoilers?



No need to worry about spoilers in this here thread, s'all good man.

I agree about Sentinel. He repeatedly said they were Gods. So you know his ego was off the charts.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8996
News Credits: 41
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Spoilers: Unhappy About Megan and Megatron

Postby shamone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 am

I think the issue with the executions is that a lot of us have grown up with the hero myth. They guy who is better than his enemies, better than his peers, better than us. Its an ideal not a realistic portrayal perhaps.

But we dont want obi wan to kill defeated anakin, we dont want luke to kill defeated vader, we dont want wolverine to stab a depowered magneto. Hell even John McClane, the republican wet dream, never summarily executes his vanquished foe. To kill an unarmed or wounded and broken foe is not the standard hollywood has prepared us for.

So for prime to execute twice in the space of seconds, betrays everything we were thought to believe is heroic. What were his options, arrest megs and sentinal, trust megs (bad choice), show mercy. All options with flaws in themselves.

What we wanted was a heroic battle where prime battles the odds, and defeats both in fair combat, where it was kill or be killed. Hell even the trope of the surrendering foe, then sneakily attacking would have been more satisfactory for a lot of us.

Whilst i dont approve nor enjoy the edning, it was better than trusting megatron and letting him rebuild cybertron
shamone
Combiner
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014