Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby RhA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:53 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
Sabrblade wrote:
RhA wrote:I'm holding out for 'Breastmaster'.
To bad there are no "Breastmasters". ;)


:roll: Really?

Sabrblade wrote:
RhA wrote:Why should this frighten anyone? It's not like there's never going to be another movie with a decent story again. TF just didn't really have a deep and rich story. Loads of other movies do and are still being made. It frightens me to think that there are people out there that assess intelligence as something which is based on what someone is looking at for two and a half hours. It's not like people will stop reading, learning or intelligently discuss stuff, just because they sometimes look at something stupid. I personally love it when I an sit down and do it. Puts my mind at easy for a while. Turns out Bay really appeals to that part of me.

No. A story is not always needed. You may prefer it, that's your opinion and I'm fine with that, just don't state it as either a fact or something we should all adhere to.
But why should these movies cater to just that group? Why should these films be deprived of a good story and characters in favor of explosions and fanservice? Why must those of us who actually WANT nutritional value in the movies based on the franchise we love and adore be rejected this? There's nothing wrong with implementing elegance and intelligence into films, and it only helps that these are what add to critical acclaim. The more praise a film gets, the more successful in becomes in more regards than just the box office. Why wouldn't anyone want these films to be even more recommended than they are? A good story and characters can only make these films an even greater success, and make us care about its components much more than we already do. What is so inhumanly taboo about enhancing the quality of these movies?


Once again, you talk personal prefence and opinion. Why is this movie not to Sabreblades liking? Well, quite simply put, personal taste. You keep putting stuff like 'elegance' and 'intelligence' in arguments. What is it about that that makes you want it as a criteria for what you think is good? What do you want with 'intelligence' all the time? Sometimes it just isn't there, big deal.

There's nothing wrong with a different spin on it, but it just did not happen. You can want it untill the cow come home, though.

-edit-

I don't want to attack you personally, Sabreblade. It's just that I see these arguments all the time and am very much surprised that you make the same argument as everyone else who keeps repeating 'my tastes should have been honered, Bay'.
Image
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4387
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Banana stand
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby TulioDude » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Prankmeister wrote:was twice the mindless toy commercial the Bayverse films ever were. At least Micheal Bay never had Seaspray hook up with a mermaid or have everybody go back in time and fight dragons or have a fricking entire planet full of opera singers.
Yep. Instead, we get fart jokes, potty humor, dog humping, robot humping, masturbation jokes, sex jokes, wrecking testicles, stereotyping, meaningless deaths, mooning, pants jokes, and more of all of the above. Real civilized stuff there.

Remind me again how this is all for children?


The movies isnt 2 hours straight of that and you know it.

Prankmeister wrote:That being said, I count Revenge of the Fallen as "Not the worst film ever made" and thought Spider-Man 3 was really good, so to say that I have weird taste is like saying the sky is blue.
And you are one of the few people who will sincerely admit that. :APPLAUSE: [/quote]
I dont understand,you're saying how hard it is to adimt when you are weird or one must have a weird taste to like the movies?

What is so inhumanly taboo about enhancing the quality of these movies?

Quality can change to person to person,if quality should be enhanced also is subjective to opinion.
Image
TulioDude is back!Now more social than ever!Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
User avatar
TulioDude
Brainmaster
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby cotss2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 am

Bayformers summed up in two words:

DEEP WANG

TulioDude wrote:The movies isnt 2 hours straight of that and you know it.


Correct. They're two and a half hours each, for a total of seven and a half hours.





DEEP WANG
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby ReDPATH » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 am

I just don't get why people think removing Bay will change anything regarding the franchise.

If you want to blame anyone. Blame Spielberg. He is the guy who ultimately keeps this going. If you want real change, you have to hope Spielberg loses interest in the franchise.

In which case, you have to hope TF4 bombs and bombs badly.

Spielberg moves on, Bay goes for Bad Boys 3. Robert Zemeckis takes over.
ReDPATH
Mini-Con
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 am

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
RhA wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
RhA wrote:I'm holding out for 'Breastmaster'.
To bad there are no "Breastmasters". ;)


:roll: Really?
Yes. Or, were you referring to the Breastforce? Cuz, that subgroup isn't in these ranks. ;)

RhA wrote:Once again, you talk personal prefence and opinion. Why is this movie not to Sabreblades liking? Well, quite simply put, personal taste. You keep putting stuff like 'elegance' and 'intelligence' in arguments. What is it about that that makes you want it as a criteria for what you think is good? What do you want with 'intelligence' all the time? Sometimes it just isn't there, big deal.

There's nothing wrong with a different spin on it, but it just did not happen. You can want it untill the cow come home, though.

-edit-

I don't want to attack you personally, Sabreblade. It's just that I see these arguments all the time and am very much surprised that you make the same argument as everyone else who keeps repeating 'my tastes should have been honered, Bay'.
Well, look at the new Captain America movie. It wasn't trying to be anything as deep as, say, Inception, nor as humongously explosive as these movies. Yet, it was still almost unanimously well received (not just by critics, but moviegoers as well). It didn't try too hard to be anything special, yet it still turned out to be. Why is it that these movies, however, feel the need to try way too hard to be good when they don't? What's wrong with movies having a little sincerity?

I really, REALLY wanted to like these movies, and at first I did. But I was merely caught up in the awe of it all and wasn't looking at them with a fair, non-fanboy view. Upon watching all three of them again and again, I realized that these movies gave me no reason to care its contents. If the movies don't want me to get enthralled, then why should I?

TulioDude wrote:
Yep. Instead, we get fart jokes, potty humor, dog humping, robot humping, masturbation jokes, sex jokes, wrecking testicles, stereotyping, meaningless deaths, mooning, pants jokes, and more of all of the above. Real civilized stuff there.

Remind me again how this is all for children?
The movies isnt 2 hours straight of that and you know it.
The point is that none of that stuff was necessary and really crippled these movies from being the best that they could be. None of it added in anything except facepalming.

TulioDude wrote:I dont understand,you're saying how hard it is to adimt when you are weird or one must have a weird taste to like the movies?
The former.

TulioDude wrote:
What is so inhumanly taboo about enhancing the quality of these movies?

Quality can change to person to person,if quality should be enhanced also is subjective to opinion.
But why settle for less when it is known that something can be made better?

ReDPATH wrote:Spielberg moves on, Bay goes for Bad Boys 3. Robert Zemeckis takes over.
Please, no. :(
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18017
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby RhA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
Sabrblade wrote:
RhA wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
RhA wrote:I'm holding out for 'Breastmaster'.
To bad there are no "Breastmasters". ;)


:roll: Really?
Yes. Or, were you referring to the Breastforce? Cuz, that subgroup isn't in these ranks. ;)

RhA wrote:Once again, you talk personal prefence and opinion. Why is this movie not to Sabreblades liking? Well, quite simply put, personal taste. You keep putting stuff like 'elegance' and 'intelligence' in arguments. What is it about that that makes you want it as a criteria for what you think is good? What do you want with 'intelligence' all the time? Sometimes it just isn't there, big deal.

There's nothing wrong with a different spin on it, but it just did not happen. You can want it untill the cow come home, though.

-edit-

I don't want to attack you personally, Sabreblade. It's just that I see these arguments all the time and am very much surprised that you make the same argument as everyone else who keeps repeating 'my tastes should have been honered, Bay'.
Well, look at the new Captain America movie. It wasn't trying to be anything as deep as, say, Inception, nor as humongously explosive as these movies. Yet, it was still almost unanimously well received (not just by critics, but moviegoers as well). It didn't try too hard to be anything special, yet it still turned out to be. Why is it that these movies, however, feel the need to try way too hard to be good when they don't? What's wrong with movies having a little sincerity?

I really, REALLY wanted to like these movies, and at first I did. But I was merely caught up in the awe of it all and wasn't looking at them with a fair, non-fanboy view. Upon watching all three of them again and again, I realized that these movies gave me no reason to care its contents. If the movies don't want me to get enthralled, then why should I?


You shouldn't if you don't want to. What you like or don't like should never be based on what other people say you should like. I loved all three movies, that doesn't make them good movies. It just makes them movies I really like.
Image
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4387
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Banana stand
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby SlyTF1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:
amtm wrote:It's pretty sad when a half hour cartoon can tell a story better than a 2.5 hour film.
Quoted for truth.

These movies treat the audience like dimwits, which we are not. We are smarter than that and deserve more respectable movies that don't insult our IQs.


The way I see it; if your IQ is insulted by a freaking movie, then you have some personal issues with your own IQ.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4143
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby MINDVVIPE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
The movies feel cheap. They feel like long trailers, as I said before. They feel like an extended version of a that new theme park ride, and even that looks better for how short it is (guess thats full-movie length without the human scenes :lol: )
As Saberblade said, I don't care for any of the characters. Visuals, sound effects, peter cullen; none of it matters when I don't care about the Transformers. Hell, I cared more for freakin Woody and the gang in toy story 3... I can see how some people like it, coz some people just like what they see, but as a TF Fan, I want a TF movie where I care about the Transformers that populate the screen. I'm still waiting for someone to add up the minutes of TFs on screen (speaking or in action) and compare it to the time the humans are on screen. I bet its less than 40/60. Sorry for beating a dead horse, haha.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 am

Transformers 4: Return of Deep Wang (a Michael Bay film)

No thanks.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 am

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
MINDVVIPE wrote:The movies feel cheap. They feel like long trailers, as I said before. They feel like an extended version of a that new theme park ride, and even that looks better for how short it is (guess thats full-movie length without the human scenes :lol: )
As Saberblade said, I don't care for any of the characters. Visuals, sound effects, peter cullen; none of it matters when I don't care about the Transformers. Hell, I cared more for freakin Woody and the gang in toy story 3... I can see how some people like it, coz some people just like what they see, but as a TF Fan, I want a TF movie where I care about the Transformers that populate the screen. I'm still waiting for someone to add up the minutes of TFs on screen (speaking or in action) and compare it to the time the humans are on screen. I bet its less than 40/60. Sorry for beating a dead horse, haha.


As you probabaly know, i liked the movies. Especialy DOTM. :P But i do understand your what your saying. I think we all would have loved to see more robot time, but the truth of the mater is, that costs more money. Alot more. The cost to put the TF on screen for the time they were on, cost more than the intire budget of Toy Story 3. This is why personally, i would have much preffered the more complicated animations such as the driller and decepicon war ships be left out and use that budget money the bots and cons. BUt to be fair i get why they were used. Each movie visually, needs to out due the other.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1188
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:30 am

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Here's a thought. Why do the movies have to be in live action? Why not make a completely CGI movie (with motion capture CGI)? No, I don't mean at the same uber-expensive level of super realistic CGI quality as these movies have right now. That would be outrageous. What I do mean is a CGI movie done in a similar art style to those of Beowulf and The Polar Express. Yes, it wouldn't look as realistic as real life, but the diminished animation quality would enable the bots to have more screentime and more character interactions/development than "We must fight to save the world," "We will conquer and destroy," and "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! BANG! BANG! BANG! KABOOM! FIGHT!" Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters. :)
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18017
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby crystalwidow » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled Assault Missile Launcher
Transformers to date has never had a movie that I can call "good." Not in 1986, not in 2011. I enjoyed what I could but it's a lot like getting Diet Coke when you were expecting regular. It gives you a hollow feeling and a bad taste in your mouth. It's pretty sad when a half hour cartoon can tell a story better than a 2.5 hour film.


I so agree,I somewhat thought the movies needed more classic Transformers fighting and story line.I find it sort of sad to have to explain backgrounds and meanings of the movies because the explanation isn't there or its not clear :oops:
:BOT:
Sandstorm: "It's time we fought for what we believe in --
our planet, our freedom, our lives!"
User avatar
crystalwidow
Mini-Con
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 am
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby crystalwidow » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Weapon: Double-Barreled Assault Missile Launcher
Here's a thought. Why do the movies have to be in live action? Why not make a completely CGI movie (with motion capture CGI)? No, I don't mean at the same uber-expensive level of super realistic CGI quality as these movies have right now. That would be outrageous. What I do mean is a CGI movie done in a similar art style to those of Beowulf and The Polar Express. Yes, it wouldn't look as realistic as real life, but the diminished animation quality would enable the bots to have more screentime and more character interactions/development than "We must fight to save the world," "We will conquer and destroy," and "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! BANG! BANG! BANG! KABOOM! FIGHT!" Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters.


I would so see something like that! :BOT: :D ;) :BOT:
Sandstorm: "It's time we fought for what we believe in --
our planet, our freedom, our lives!"
User avatar
crystalwidow
Mini-Con
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 am
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Rank: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
Sabrblade wrote:Here's a thought. Why do the movies have to be in live action? Why not make a completely CGI movie (with motion capture CGI)? No, I don't mean at the same uber-expensive level of super realistic CGI quality as these movies have right now. That would be outrageous. What I do mean is a CGI movie done in a similar art style to those of Beowulf and The Polar Express. Yes, it wouldn't look as realistic as real life, but the diminished animation quality would enable the bots to have more screentime and more character interactions/development than "We must fight to save the world," "We will conquer and destroy," and "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! BANG! BANG! BANG! KABOOM! FIGHT!" Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters. :)

:APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:
Sabrblade por el presidente
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby Noideaforaname » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Live-action, CGI, stop motion, traditional animation, whatever the medium is will NOT change anything but how it looks.
Krazy 'bout Kreons: Customs ~ Photos ~ Art
My deviantART
User avatar
Noideaforaname
Gestalt
Posts: 2403
News Credits: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Sabrblade wrote:Here's a thought. Why do the movies have to be in live action? Why not make a completely CGI movie (with motion capture CGI)? No, I don't mean at the same uber-expensive level of super realistic CGI quality as these movies have right now. That would be outrageous. What I do mean is a CGI movie done in a similar art style to those of Beowulf and The Polar Express. Yes, it wouldn't look as realistic as real life, but the diminished animation quality would enable the bots to have more screentime and more character interactions/development than "We must fight to save the world," "We will conquer and destroy," and "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! BANG! BANG! BANG! KABOOM! FIGHT!" Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters. :)


Because I hate fully CGI movies!
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4143
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Sabrblade wrote:Here's a thought. Why do the movies have to be in live action? Why not make a completely CGI movie (with motion capture CGI)? No, I don't mean at the same uber-expensive level of super realistic CGI quality as these movies have right now. That would be outrageous. What I do mean is a CGI movie done in a similar art style to those of Beowulf and The Polar Express. Yes, it wouldn't look as realistic as real life, but the diminished animation quality would enable the bots to have more screentime and more character interactions/development than "We must fight to save the world," "We will conquer and destroy," and "ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! BANG! BANG! BANG! KABOOM! FIGHT!" Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters. :)


I'd see it, but to most it would see as just another cartoon. Half the reason these stories are as successfull as they were were due to visulas. Meaning CGI against live action.
Now that its been done, a fully animated type movie would probbably do ok.

Noideaforaname wrote:Live-action, CGI, stop motion, traditional animation, whatever the medium is will NOT change anything but how it looks.


Very ture. Even if bay doesn't direct it, its all going to depend on whom ever gets the helm's "Vision".
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1188
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Instead of degrading the quality of CGI used, why not just... I don't know... rely less on CGI, and more on stuff that's actually there? Animatronics and "guy in a suit" effects have served us pretty well in the past. Also, reducing the complexity of the transformations would take a chunk out of the CGI budget AND produce better-looking robots as a result.

Sabrblade wrote:Less money for the visuals (and potty humor) = more money for the story and characters. :)


Protip: good stories and good characters don't cost a cent more than crappy ones do.
Last edited by cotss2012 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
cotss2012 wrote:Protip: good stories and good characters don't cost a cent more than crappy ones do.


I don't believe that. You have to spend more time to come up with or refine your story and characters; that time is money. But I agree about the excesive need to make the CGI as complex as possible. Especially when the end result is just a blur of things happening to fast to really notice unless you paused it at every frame.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby SlyTF1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
cotss2012 wrote:Instead of degrading the quality of CGI used, why not just... I don't know... rely less on CGI, and more on stuff that's actually there? Animatronics and "guy in a suit" effects" have served us pretty well in the past. Also, reducing the complexity of the transformations would take a chunk out of the CGI budget AND produce better-looking robots as a result.


Better looking my ass. They'd look like crap!!! A damn guy in a robot costume walking around and pretending to transform into a car does not look good.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4143
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby MINDVVIPE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
SlyTF1 wrote:
cotss2012 wrote:Instead of degrading the quality of CGI used, why not just... I don't know... rely less on CGI, and more on stuff that's actually there? Animatronics and "guy in a suit" effects" have served us pretty well in the past. Also, reducing the complexity of the transformations would take a chunk out of the CGI budget AND produce better-looking robots as a result.


Better looking my ass. They'd look like crap!!! A damn guy in a robot costume walking around and pretending to transform into a car does not look good.

Hahaha. Image

Hey, atleast it looks 100% real... and didn't cost much.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2290
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby LadyBug » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 pm

MINDVVIPE wrote:Hey, atleast it looks 100% real... and didn't cost much.


You have no idea about how much money, time or effort goes into one of those.
User avatar
LadyBug
Vehicon
Posts: 307
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 am

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
MINDVVIPE wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
cotss2012 wrote:Instead of degrading the quality of CGI used, why not just... I don't know... rely less on CGI, and more on stuff that's actually there? Animatronics and "guy in a suit" effects" have served us pretty well in the past. Also, reducing the complexity of the transformations would take a chunk out of the CGI budget AND produce better-looking robots as a result.


Better looking my ass. They'd look like crap!!! A damn guy in a robot costume walking around and pretending to transform into a car does not look good.

Hahaha. Image

Hey, atleast it looks 100% real... and didn't cost much.

Do you really think the same effects they use for Power Rangers and Godzilla movies would work today? People would be rolling on the floor laughing as soon as they showed up on screen.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby cotss2012 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 am

MINDVVIPE wrote:I don't believe that. You have to spend more time to come up with or refine your story and characters; that time is money.


Orci and Kurtzman wrote how many scripts in 2006, exactly?

SlyTF1 wrote:Better looking my ass. They'd look like crap!!! A damn guy in a robot costume walking around and pretending to transform into a car does not look good.


Obviously, costumes wouldn't be used for the transformation sequences. But if you just have the characters standing around and talking, there's no reason why that has to be animated. The actors' movements would have to look right, too. Remember Robocop?

I also think there's a type of animation that has yet to be developed; namely, a hybrid of go-motion and bullet-time (both of which were variations on stop-motion), in which the animation is first done as stop-motion and then computers calculate and add motion blur by comparing consecutive frames.

Bottom line: using CGI for everything is the lazy, expensive way, and we shouldn't assume that every single second of on-screen robots will be cooked up as textures and wireframes.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on TF4

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
SlyTF1 wrote:Because I hate fully CGI movies!
And you are but one out of millions of moviegoers. Besides, while done in full CGI, such movies as Beowulf, The Polar Express, and even that awful Mars Needs Moms movie had such brilliant CGI that at times looked more like live action than not.

cotss2012 wrote:Instead of degrading the quality of CGI used, why not just... I don't know... rely less on CGI, and more on stuff that's actually there? Animatronics and "guy in a suit" effects have served us pretty well in the past.
Erm, I dunno. Maybe if the Japanese did it for a Transformers Tokusatsu*, but I can't seen it done for a Hollywood movie.

* - I once made a thread about how Masterforce might work as a Tokusatsu. ;)


Also, it IS possible to diminish the complexity of the robot designs for live action CGI and have them still look good. Just look at this video. These are the G1 designs, yet these CG models (with some slight modifications to look a tad bit more realistic) would totally fit in a live action production.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18017
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014