System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

Postby #Sideways# » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:33 am

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
Unfortunately, as I get sick with a nasty cold, so does my laptop.

I might have to do a system wipe to fix things, and I have quite the few games on Steam! I was wondering if Steam will recover if I wipe my machine and all of my data will still be there, is this just a fantasy?

Unfortunately, nothing is backed up -- to my knowledge, that is -- on my computer. Isn't Steam a Cloud and thus completely separate from harm?
Image

"I don't stink, but I am silent but deadly!" ~One of the many reasons I like Sideways.
User avatar
#Sideways#
Brainmaster
Posts: 1441
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Planet X
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
You won't lose any games, no, your games list isn't stored locally. You will however, have to reinstall all of them. Also, whatever games don't use Steamcloud for saving, you'll lose those saves. And because I'm pretty sure you're going to ask, no, you will not lose anything in TF2.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29961
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

Postby #Sideways# » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
Shadowman wrote:You won't lose any games, no, your games list isn't stored locally. You will however, have to reinstall all of them. Also, whatever games don't use Steamcloud for saving, you'll lose those saves. And because I'm pretty sure you're going to ask, no, you will not lose anything in TF2.


Thank you for the info. It may be, however, that my laptop's hardrive just p00ped out on me. It just behaves so... Ehh... Oddly.

Thankfully, I think that my STO account (And data) is safe, unfortunately I think my Splinter Cell and Star Wars Battlefront 2 saves are going to be burned in the Pit. Boo.

Anyway, thanks again.
Image

"I don't stink, but I am silent but deadly!" ~One of the many reasons I like Sideways.
User avatar
#Sideways#
Brainmaster
Posts: 1441
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Planet X
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

Postby Shadowman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
#Sideways# wrote:
Shadowman wrote:You won't lose any games, no, your games list isn't stored locally. You will however, have to reinstall all of them. Also, whatever games don't use Steamcloud for saving, you'll lose those saves. And because I'm pretty sure you're going to ask, no, you will not lose anything in TF2.


Thank you for the info. It may be, however, that my laptop's hardrive just p00ped out on me. It just behaves so... Ehh... Oddly.

Thankfully, I think that my STO account (And data) is safe, unfortunately I think my Splinter Cell and Star Wars Battlefront 2 saves are going to be burned in the Pit. Boo.

Anyway, thanks again.


MMOs never store save data locally (Or what amounts to save data, at least) so yes, your STO account will be fine. But yeah, Splinter Cell and Battlefront II don't use cloud saving, you're going to have to replay those.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29961
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: System wipe! Will Steam recover my games?

Postby #Sideways# » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
Shadowman wrote:
#Sideways# wrote:
Shadowman wrote:You won't lose any games, no, your games list isn't stored locally. You will however, have to reinstall all of them. Also, whatever games don't use Steamcloud for saving, you'll lose those saves. And because I'm pretty sure you're going to ask, no, you will not lose anything in TF2.


Thank you for the info. It may be, however, that my laptop's hardrive just p00ped out on me. It just behaves so... Ehh... Oddly.

Thankfully, I think that my STO account (And data) is safe, unfortunately I think my Splinter Cell and Star Wars Battlefront 2 saves are going to be burned in the Pit. Boo.

Anyway, thanks again.


MMOs never store save data locally (Or what amounts to save data, at least) so yes, your STO account will be fine. But yeah, Splinter Cell and Battlefront II don't use cloud saving, you're going to have to replay those.


Eh. Battlefront 2 was fun, I won't have a problem redoing that, but Splinter Cell is just plain hard.

I am actually going to have to return the Computer to Micro Center and see if they can fix it. But hey! Maybe while I am there, perhaps I can upgrade to Windows 8! That'll be... Ehh... Interesting.

Bad news is, I might lose all progress on my Book if they can't recover any data. Which will bite like a Sharkticon.
Image

"I don't stink, but I am silent but deadly!" ~One of the many reasons I like Sideways.
User avatar
#Sideways#
Brainmaster
Posts: 1441
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm
Location: Planet X
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: ???
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7


Return to Video Games and Mobile Apps Forum

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Fall Of Cybertron: OPTIMUS PRIME Action Figure Robots In Disguise - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 36 minutes 58 seconds
SKYLYNX & SKY CLAW - 2 NEW Transformers BEAST HUNTERS Figures SMOKESCREEN Prime - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 52 minutes 59 seconds
New 3 KRE-O TRANSFORMERS Sets MEGATRON Sideswipe MIRAGE - KREO 30688 31771 31145 - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 8 minutes 6 seconds
Kre-O Transformers Autobot Command Center Kreo Bumblebee Kreon Set A5412 **NEW** - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 23 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers Generations Legend Combiner Wars Decepticon Shockwave - Time Remaining: 4 days 21 hours 41 minutes 57 seconds
Vintage G1 TRANSFORMERS Pounce Wingspan Fastlane cloudraker Takara  HASBRO, 1987 - Time Remaining: 3 days 11 hours 27 minutes 52 seconds
TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON DOTM LEADFOOT MOSC MOC MISB SEALED NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 5 hours 30 minutes 17 seconds
VTG 1984 PROWL HASBRO TRANSFORMERS G1 AUTOBOT 100% ORIGINAL WITH BOX TAKARA - Time Remaining: 3 days 8 hours 49 minutes 2 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #151 - SDCC 2016
Twincast / Podcast #151:
"SDCC 2016"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, July 24th, 2016