Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby Noideaforaname » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:44 pm

https://corporate.target.com/discover/a ... payment-ca
Specifically, this applies to U.S. shoppers who used a Red, credit, or debit card between Nov 27th - Dec 15th in an actual, physical store (not online).



Unbelievable.
Image
"If you accidentally eat the prize that comes inside your cereal, does that make you a specially marked box?"
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
User avatar
Noideaforaname
City Commander
Posts: 3156
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby njb902 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:21 pm

It doesn't seem to affect any of the companies who's data gets stolen, profit wise anyways. So why would any of them spend a great deal of money on improving security?
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby It Is Him » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:46 pm

njb902 wrote:It doesn't seem to affect any of the companies who's data gets stolen, profit wise anyways. So why would any of them spend a great deal of money on improving security?


It directly effects profitability, because when consumer confidence drops, people will stop shopping there.
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

Image
BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
User avatar
It Is Him
City Commander
Posts: 3766
News Credits: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Omicron Persei 8

Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby njb902 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:38 pm

It Is Him wrote:
njb902 wrote:It doesn't seem to affect any of the companies who's data gets stolen, profit wise anyways. So why would any of them spend a great deal of money on improving security?


It directly effects profitability, because when consumer confidence drops, people will stop shopping there.


Oh you're right it could. However like I said earlier that just hasn't happened to other companies that have had a similar issue. So if I was Target, or any other company, and I saw that why would I spend any money? Why I'd probably just run a 10 percent off gimmick to take people's mind off of it. Besides there will be relatively few people who will actually be affected by this, and it will be the credit card companies issue anyways, so I'll just say how deeply sorry I am.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby It Is Him » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm

njb902 wrote:
It Is Him wrote:
njb902 wrote:It doesn't seem to affect any of the companies who's data gets stolen, profit wise anyways. So why would any of them spend a great deal of money on improving security?


It directly effects profitability, because when consumer confidence drops, people will stop shopping there.


Oh you're right it could. However like I said earlier that just hasn't happened to other companies that have had a similar issue. So if I was Target, or any other company, and I saw that why would I spend any money? Why I'd probably just run a 10 percent off gimmick to take people's mind off of it. Besides there will be relatively few people who will actually be affected by this, and it will be the credit card companies issue anyways, so I'll just say how deeply sorry I am.


Target likely spends millions on security, and here's why they do: The credit card companies and banks are also their customers, too. Why spend money on security? To protect one of their biggest clients
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

Image
BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
User avatar
It Is Him
City Commander
Posts: 3766
News Credits: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Omicron Persei 8

Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby njb902 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 pm

It Is Him wrote:
njb902 wrote:
It Is Him wrote:
njb902 wrote:It doesn't seem to affect any of the companies who's data gets stolen, profit wise anyways. So why would any of them spend a great deal of money on improving security?


It directly effects profitability, because when consumer confidence drops, people will stop shopping there.


Oh you're right it could. However like I said earlier that just hasn't happened to other companies that have had a similar issue. So if I was Target, or any other company, and I saw that why would I spend any money? Why I'd probably just run a 10 percent off gimmick to take people's mind off of it. Besides there will be relatively few people who will actually be affected by this, and it will be the credit card companies issue anyways, so I'll just say how deeply sorry I am.


Target likely spends millions on security, and here's why they do: The credit card companies and banks are also their customers, too. Why spend money on security? To protect one of their biggest clients


I never said they didn't, I'm just saying they don't spend enough. Nor do I see that changing.
njb902
Gestalt
Posts: 2563
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 am


Re: Target Says Data for 40 Million Shoppers Was Stolen

Postby Ratbat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Motto: "The road is my dinner plate."
Weapon: Shoulder-Mounted Mega-Blast Missile Cannons
Lucky me: I don't shop at Target. I shop at Walmart. :D
Ratbat
Headmaster
Posts: 1136
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:32 pm
Location: BRANDON, Mississippi
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Rank: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 2
Skill: 9


Return to General Discussion

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Beast Wars Megatron Ultra Class INCOMPLETE BUT NICE G2 90s Hasbro - Time Remaining: 3 days 13 hours 18 minutes 34 seconds
TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS COMPUTRON BOX SET TECHNOBOTS - Time Remaining: 20 days 2 hours 33 minutes 47 seconds
Kre-O Transformers - Starscream - NEW - Time Remaining: 5 days 9 hours 41 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Reissue G1 Technobots『Computron』Giftbox Set MISB - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 26 minutes 55 seconds
Transformers Generations SKYWARP 30th Anniversary IDW Thrilling 30 Deluxe Class - Time Remaining: 5 days 1 hour 7 minutes 37 seconds
Transformers G1 METROPLEX PARTS lot KNEES - SLAMMER - MISSILES - TOWER - ANTENNA - Time Remaining: 4 days 13 hours 39 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers Cybertron BLURR New RARE w DVD Planet Key - Time Remaining: 5 days 55 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers Beast Wars Neo Cybertron C-38 BUMP (Armordillo) Takara Japan - Time Remaining: 3 days 14 hours 12 minutes 59 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #155 - Pillarboxed
Twincast / Podcast #155:
"Pillarboxed"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, September 10th, 2016