Here are my thoughts on the kit's components, in order of how I rate each components' awesomeness:
1. Gun: is awesome. The problem with the original combined gun is just that - the combination, though very, very good, looks a little gimmicky. This remedies that. Verdict: Want it.
2. Shoulder Extensions: are awesome. Hercules has decent shoulder articulation, but as anyone who owns it can attest to, there is much to be desired in that arena. This remedies that. Verdict: Want it.
3. Rage Face: pretty cool. I honestly like the Dr. Wu design better, since it has the wide open mouth versus and allows for light piping to show through the mouth. But Dr. Wu "borrowed" the design, and I'm wary of them. TFC's design is one of more controlled rage, and I though I like Wu's design better overall, the subtlety of TFC's design is growing on me. I wouldn't buy it outright, but as part of a kit, I'll take it. Verdict: Want it.
4. Head/Visor: 'Meh'. The thing TFC did very well with Hercules was walk the tightrope between the blocky, retro design that is a G1 transformer and the smoothly integrated modern styling that collectors have come to expect. The new head is therefore a backwards step. It's blockier, less elegant, and though styled right, I don't think it fits with the overall aesthetic as well as the original head does. And the visor? No thanks. I like my Hercules without it. Verdict: Don't want them.
5. Forearms: NOOOO!!! Again, it's the tightrope (see 4). I love the Hercules arms because the whole toy is perfectly integrated, with the treads as forearms. One reason I bash MakeToys' Giant is because I hate the look of just sticking the vehicles on as shoulders and adding separate mechanisms for the forearms. I know it's more G1 accurate, but I feel it's too clunky. On the flip side, there are peg holes that might allow for Exgraver's shovel to be used as a melee weapon, and the design may give better arm articulation. But those positives don't outweigh the negatives to me. Verdict: Don't want it.
Overall: I would get this at a decent price point. The overall package is nice, and I might change my mind on a few of my more negative assessments. Plus, I totally respect the fact that TFC is preempting efforts to '3rd Party' their own 3rd Party product. Honestly, it's what Hasbro/Takara should have been doing all along.
That said, TFC, you're breaking my heart. Stop stealin' my money!