I just finished watching a couple animes and wanted to share my thoughts on them:King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Simply loved the series, it really deserved its fame. It took the concept of courage to a new level without making it look cheesy (Burning Justice anyone?). It probably helped that they focused on the team behind the mechs as well and that the A.I.'s actually had character to them. And who couldn't love Mic Sounders the 13th?
A couple of highlights:
- Creative use of the Dividing Driver. Seriously, they though outside the box with it in some episodes
- Last ditch efforts, the series had quite a few of them
- The curveball after the main antagonist. Those familiar with the series know what I mean
- And of course: HIKARE NI NARE!King of Braves GaoGaiGar FINAL
Of course, after watching the main series I had to watch the OVA. And it doesn't disappoint. It's true you are thrown into the deep end at the beginning with characters appearing in other media, but all necessary for the story is well explained. Besides, after 2 episodes one can put that behind them. Highlights:
- Flashbacks of Renée. Gruesome
- Politics. Seriously, you're lead to believe they'd throw a wrench into the series (and they actually can), then they all put up an act to not lose face. Well played.
- The individual Braves versus their Sol Master counterparts. Best fights ever, especially Genesic GaoGaiGar vs. Palparepa.
- GaoGaiGar vs. GaoFighGar deserves a mention too.
- And who could forget the ultimate ban-hammer: Goldion Crusher. Could one make a toy of that thing?Brave Exkaiser
Yes, I went all the way to the beginning, and watched it RAW, no subtitles. If you're looking for GaoGaiGar quality in storyline and such, stay well back. It's definitely more geared towards kids with the humor and situations. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just different and it's enjoyable if you're open to it. No real noteworthy highlights here, really.
I may start watching Brave Police J-Decker