Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread *potential spoilers*

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

MagnusPrimal wrote:Some people like River Song...
And she's married to The Doctor. Were people really thinking we wouldn't see her again?


Big difference between thinking we wouldn't, and hoping we'd get some much more interesting characters.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

Burn wrote:
MagnusPrimal wrote:Some people like River Song...
And she's married to The Doctor. Were people really thinking we wouldn't see her again?


Big difference between thinking we wouldn't, and hoping we'd get some much more interesting characters.

Eh, I find her interesting. I like the character, and I'm glad she'll be back.
What I'd really like though, is the restoration of Gallifrey and the return of the Time Lords! The "Last of the..." is wearing thin for me. Especially when new Daleks pop up every few episodes.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Motto: "Roll out!"
Image


Thanks for BeastProwl fixing the link!
User avatar
Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander
Posts: 4251
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Monster island
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Cyber Bishop » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon



:shock:

Holy crap...
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop

501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison GWL
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18640
News Credits: 11
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Motto: "Whatever happened to Saturday night, When you dressed up sharp and you felt alright?"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword



oh my that's boss. I believe, I could be wrong, that Dalek is based on the failed "The Dark Dimension" story. The Fourth Doctor would not have died and regenerated after falling from the Pharos Project (as see in Logopolis). However his future incarnations did survive (some how), but, in doing so, the creature created a 'Dark Dimension'.

Image
Image
User avatar
SW's SilverHammer
Brainmaster
Posts: 1384
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Portland
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby waaaaghlord » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:56 pm

When they decide to retire the Power Ranger Daleks can we have these as the next generation please?
Image
waaaaghlord
City Commander
Posts: 3357
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Motto: "Whatever happened to Saturday night, When you dressed up sharp and you felt alright?"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
waaaaghlord wrote:When they decide to retire the Power Ranger Daleks can we have these as the next generation please?


This ^

And a new Cyberman, like the Dark Dimension cybers Image
Image
User avatar
SW's SilverHammer
Brainmaster
Posts: 1384
News Credits: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Portland
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:53 pm

pfffffft. Sylvester McCoy Special Weapons Dalek is cooler and nastier looking.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Darth Bombshell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
MagnusPrimal wrote:Some people like River Song...


Who are these people? I'd really like to know.

MagnusPrimal wrote:Were people really thinking we wouldn't see her again?


Not really, but I, for one, was really, really, REALLY hoping we wouldn't. Then again, since her parents are leaving next series, we can only hope and pray it's the last time.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
MagnusPrimal wrote:Some people like River Song...


Who are these people? I'd really like to know.

MagnusPrimal wrote:Were people really thinking we wouldn't see her again?


Not really, but I, for one, was really, really, REALLY hoping we wouldn't. Then again, since her parents are leaving next series, we can only hope and pray it's the last time.

Myself, my wife, and my daughter are three of them. Many of the other online reviewers that I follow enjoy her as well. Actually, there's just a vocal few here that seem to dislike her. This thread is the only place I see someone consistently dumping on her.
Well no, there's one guy at tfw2005 as well. But he dislikes everything about DW since the revival, so I'm not sure it's fair to count him.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 pm

Here's the thing, the majority of those people who are in favour of her?

Never saw the original series and don't know any better about how great DW use to be.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Burn wrote:Here's the thing, the majority of those people who are in favour of her?

Never saw the original series and don't know any better about how great DW use to be.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be insulting or not, but you're doing a good job.
Basically, those of us that like River do so because we don't know any better?
My classic DW dvd collection is growing almost daily, plus I've watched some online, and I'm dipping my toe into the audios. I agree that classic Who was better, but I still like River Song. I consider myself intelligent enough to make that decision, and I suspect many others are as well.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:43 am

MagnusPrimal wrote:Basically, those of us that like River do so because we don't know any better?


Frankly ... yes.

And it's got nothing at all to do with intelligence. It's a simple case of a lot of people not having the "complete story".

If they'd seen some more of the classic series, they'd realise how crap and repetitive the new version has gotten.

Because seriously, every year ... the Daleks ... or the Cybermen ... and now every year it's going to be River bloody Song.

The Weeping Angels were voted as the scariest monsters, they were new, they were original, let's see more of that, let's see more of the old show that lead the way in the sci-fi genre and left other shows *cough*startrek*cough* to play catch up copycats.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Darth Bombshell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:04 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
MagnusPrimal wrote:Actually, there's just a vocal few here that seem to dislike her.


To be fair, I used to find her, at best, mildly irritating to start off with. If all we knew about the character was what we saw in "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead", "The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone" and "The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang", I wouldn't be harping on her as much. But then, in short order, Moffat...

1). Revealed her backstory, the quickest way to douse the flame of an interesting character.

2). Made said backstory the oldest of old cliches in the history of the written word.

3). Spent a good chunk of last series' running plot revolving around her.

I've never even seen "The Wedding of River Song." The title alone is enough to convince me it's crap.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:40 am

Burn, you're wrong. I "know better," and I still like River. The rest of your post I mostly agree with though.
And I'm not saying I like all of River's story, or every episode she's in. I like the character, and I think her portrayal by Alex Kingston has a lot to do with that. She's fun. And to mainly to the out-of-chronological-order in which a lot of their meetings occur, I like seeing a character know something the Doctor doesn't.
I do disagree with Moffat that the Doctor should not be the focus of the series though.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 am

MagnusPrimal wrote:Burn, you're wrong.


No i'm not.

I said a lot of people, I never said you.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:49 am

Burn wrote:
MagnusPrimal wrote:Burn, you're wrong.


No i'm not.

I said a lot of people, I never said you.

I'm still not sure how you can make a generalized statement like that and still expect it to be right most of the time. Do you have anything to back it up, other than the fact that you like classic DW and you don't like River Song?
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:22 am

I've been around the DW fandom for a while to see how things have changed in the last five years.

Can I cite any specific source? No. Because there's an entire internet out there full of DW forums from which to pick and choose some new-Who fanboy/girl comment about how awesome such and such character is, or how scary such and such monster of the week is, when you can have companions and guest characters and one story villains from thirty years ago that were much better fleshed out and didn't need to be trotted out every year. But do they know about them? No. Because while they may know there's the old series of DW, a lot have probably never made the effort to watch it.

You have. So stop taking it personally. I don't like River Song. Deal with it.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 am

I'm not taking it personally. Even if it's directed at me it doesn't matter. You still can't make a broad, sweeping statement like that and expect someone to take it seriously. It's like someone in the TF Forums telling someone the only reason they like movie Optimus is because they don't know any better. People around here would dogpile on that poster, because that's entirely subjective. Just like your, or my, opinion of River Song.
Deal with it.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Do I strike you as someone who gives a toss?

I can make any statement I want. Just like you can make any statement I want. Hooray for the internet and "freedom of speech"!
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Burn wrote:Do I strike you as someone who gives a toss?

I can make any statement I want. Just like you can make any statement I want. Hooray for the internet and "freedom of speech"!

If you "didn't give a toss" we wouldn't be having this... discussion. So yeah, you do.
And you can certainly make any statement you want. That doesn't make it an accurate statement, but you can make it.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Burn » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I find it funny how you keep prolonging the argument in a vain attempt to make me admit i'm wrong.

Which ain't gonna happen, so you might just wanna give up now. >:oP
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38832
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Burn wrote:I find it funny how you keep prolonging the argument in a vain attempt to make me admit i'm wrong.


Wrong again! :lol:
At this point, I don't think you'd concede if Tom Baker agreed with me.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby Godzillabot Primal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Motto: "Roll out!"
MagnusPrimal wrote:
Burn wrote:I find it funny how you keep prolonging the argument in a vain attempt to make me admit i'm wrong.


Wrong again! :lol:
At this point, I don't think you'd concede if Tom Baker agreed with me.


I agree with MagnusPrimal. Would you care for a jelly baby?
Image


Thanks for BeastProwl fixing the link!
User avatar
Godzillabot Primal
Faction Commander
Posts: 4251
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Monster island
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Rank: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread

Postby MagnusPrimal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Ok, to get back down to it...
I just finished watching Series 5 again. Now, is it just me, or in The Big Bang, is the whole escape from the Pandorica scenario just a big paradox? The Doctor gets out when Rory frees him with the sonic screwdriver, but the Doctor can't give him the screwdriver until he's out of the Pandorica. Am I missing something?
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Godmaster
Posts: 1669
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014