Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

The Dr Who (and spin-offs) Thread *potential spoilers*

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Postby Darth Bombshell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:39 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Exulted Unicron wrote:according to the BBC who website (UK) the next two classic releases are Timelash and Robot


Yeah, I read that, too. Can't wait to get my hands on "Robot". "Timelash", on the other hand...
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Cyber Bishop » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:24 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Darth Bombshell wrote:Yeah, I read that, too. Can't wait to get my hands on "Robot"


Me either.. Tom's first episode! :grin:

Oh DB I love your sig pix!
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop

501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison GWL
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18638
News Credits: 11
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay

Postby Darth Bombshell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Cyber Bishop wrote:Oh DB I love your sig pix!


Yeah, isn't it cool? I saw it posted on another board, and the second I did, I just had to have it as a sig.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Special Features for the "Robot" and "Timelash" DVD's:

Robot:

* Commentary by Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen, producer Barry Letts and writer Terrance Dicks
* Are Friends Electric? (dur. 38' 58"). A documentary, which looks at Tom Baker's introduction as the Doctor and the making of his first story. It features interviews with actors Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen, Alec Linstead, Patricia Maynard, Michael Kilgarriff and Edward Burnham, producers Barry Letts and Philip Hinchcliffe, script editor Terrance Dicks, director Christopher Barry and production unit manager George Gallacio.
* The Tunnel Effect (dur. 13' 47"), a look at the creation of the Tom Baker Slit Scan title sequence
* A clip from Blue Peter, recorded on the Robot sets
* Photo gallery, production subtitle notes and Radio Times listings in pdf format

Timelash

* Commentary by Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant and Paul Darrow
* The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (dur. 25' 01"). documentary which looks at the making of the story. It features actors Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Paul Darrow, David Chandler, Robert Ashby, script editor Eric Saward, writer Glen McCoy and journalist Paul Lang, and is narrated by Terry Molloy
* The release will be the first to feature a Coming Soon trail which will act as a tester for the next DVD
* Photo gallery, production subtitle notes and Radio Times listings in pdf format

Robot is due for release on 28 May 2007, followed by Timelash on 25 June.


Also, has anyone managed to find "The Invasion" and "The Sontaran Experiment" anywhere?
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Rogue. » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:27 am

I am so glad that the DW DVDs are treated so well. I love getting heaps of bonus materials that I will actually enjoy... it's almost half the excitement of getting another DW DVD :) I loved the features on the Genesis of the Daleks set.

Darth Bombshell wrote:Also, has anyone managed to find "The Invasion" and "The Sontaran Experiment" anywhere?


I'm not sure if you have them in Canada, but I would check Best Buy. That's the only "physical" store in my area that I know of that carries Doctor Who DVDs. I had to drive half an hour just to pick up Series 1 & 2 when S2 was released, because they were on sale -- and the only place I could get them right away.

I usually order from DeepDiscount. Formerly called DeepDiscountDVD and DeepDiscountCD, they merged their two sites into one and added books to their store. I love the free shipping, though it can take a week or more to show up. And my wishlists are messed up since I forgot to update my DDCD log in email address, and now I have two accounts there. Argh.
User avatar
Rogue.
Godmaster
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:37 am
Location: FL, Earth
Buy from Rogue. on eBay

Postby Cyber Bishop » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Darth Bombshell wrote:Also, has anyone managed to find "The Invasion" and "The Sontaran Experiment" anywhere?


I have not looked at Best Buy or Circuit City yet BUT they are available on Whona

The Sontaran Experiment

The Invasion
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop

501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison GWL
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18638
News Credits: 11
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Spike wrote:I'm not sure if you have them in Canada, but I would check Best Buy. That's the only "physical" store in my area that I know of that carries Doctor Who DVDs. I had to drive half an hour just to pick up Series 1 & 2 when S2 was released, because they were on sale -- and the only place I could get them right away.


I did go to Best Buy, and Future Shop, and HMV. And I wasn't able to find them at any of those places. Then again, my area seems to be notorious in getting DVD sets late (for example, even though it was released on Boxing Day, I have yet to find any store that carries the Volume 1 New Adventures of He-Man set), so I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't see it till around June or something.

And point of fact, I've been able to find the new series sets at all three of those locations. I've also seen "The Beginning" set and "City of Death".
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Cyberstrike » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:05 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
I know Borders and Barns and Nobles also sell Dr. Who DVDs but they're expensisve as hell though.
You can also try FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody/Media Play stores as well.
Image
The X-WCW is the best e-fed in the world today!
Cyberstrike
Gestalt
Posts: 2544
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:33 pm
Location: Indiana
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Cyberstrike wrote:I know Borders and Barns and Nobles also sell Dr. Who DVDs but they're expensisve as hell though.
You can also try FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody/Media Play stores as well.


Um...I live in Canada. There are none of those stores up here.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Cyber Bishop » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Darth Bombshell wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:I know Borders and Barns and Nobles also sell Dr. Who DVDs but they're expensisve as hell though.
You can also try FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody/Media Play stores as well.


Um...I live in Canada. There are none of those stores up here.


WhoNA

http://www.whona.com/
Image

http://www.facebook.com/cyberbishop

501st Legion Deputy Forum Admin
Bast Alpha Garrison GWL
TK/ID/SL: 2926
User avatar
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
Posts: 18638
News Credits: 11
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:04 am
Location: New Orleans
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:27 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Cyber Bishop wrote:WhoNA

http://www.whona.com/


I don't do online shopping, either...which sucks because that's about the only way it appears that I'm going to be able to get certain titles (I mean, aside from those I've already mentioned, the only other one I've been able to find hereabouts are "The Five Doctors" and "Time and the Rani.")
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Rogue. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Cyber Bishop wrote:WhoNA

http://www.whona.com/


I don't do online shopping, either...which sucks because that's about the only way it appears that I'm going to be able to get certain titles (I mean, aside from those I've already mentioned, the only other one I've been able to find hereabouts are "The Five Doctors" and "Time and the Rani.")


"Mark of the Rani?" I just ordered that from DeepDiscount... I haven't seen it in ages. I'm trying to get at least one story per Doctor before concentrating on the 4th Doctor stories (my favorite Doctor). Now I just need to pick a 2nd Doctor story before I end up getting the "New Beginnings" set or "The Leisure Hive." I'm thinking "The Mind Robber" will be my next buy.
User avatar
Rogue.
Godmaster
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:37 am
Location: FL, Earth
Buy from Rogue. on eBay

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Good news for Canucks fans like me, from the Doctor Who Information Network by way of Outpost Gallifrey:

1) SERIES III will be airing in the summer of 2007. June to be exact. An official start date and time was not provided, but we assume that it will continue along in the Monday night 8pm time slot.

2) THE RUNAWAY BRIDE "may air" this summer also. Again, I assume it would precede the SERIES III premiere.

and finally

3) TORCHWOOD will air in the FALL of 2007. Once again the assumption is that it will air AFTER Series III's run has concluded.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Burn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 pm

You know, for 40 odd years Australia was like the 2nd biggest fan base for DW outside of England.

And yet those idiots at the ABC are still twiddling their thumbs over whether to pick up DW or not, while markets like Canada and the US, markets which didn't have as much exposure to original Who, have already had rights to this year's season secured.

AND THEY WONDER WHY TV FANS LIKE ME DOWNLOAD FROM THE INTERNET! :-x
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38816
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:38 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Burn wrote:You know, for 40 odd years Australia was like the 2nd biggest fan base for DW outside of England.

And yet those idiots at the ABC are still twiddling their thumbs over whether to pick up DW or not, while markets like Canada and the US, markets which didn't have as much exposure to original Who, have already had rights to this year's season secured.


Well, I can't speak for the US, but the fact that Canada gets it before you guys may have something to do with the fact that the CBC helps finance it...
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:29 pm

When they say Runaway Bride "may air" the CBC sounds as bad as the ABC. Even worse if they help to finance production.

The ABC has never been a high ratings station, because all the commercial networks snap up the good shows. But for the last two years Dr Who on a Saturday night has consistantly been a ratings winner for them.

So for them to turn around and say "oh we'll see how it goes in the UK first before deciding" is just ... dumb. Not to mention Dr Who is synonymous with the ABC. Bad enough Torchwood has gone to a commercial network which will probably shaft it to a late night time slot and have it disappear mid-season for a few months.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38816
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:00 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Burn wrote: Bad enough Torchwood has gone to a commercial network which will probably shaft it to a late night time slot and have it disappear mid-season for a few months.


I assume you're still talking about the CBC when you say that.

Well, I'm not sure. They said it'll be in the Fall after Series III has run its course, so I assume it'll inhabit whatever spot Doctor Who was in. But then again, I always figured they'd finish up on Series II before the DVD release, and by the time that came around, "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday" had yet to air, owing to a month long break for Christmas (understandable) and an interruption in January (less understandable).

Anyways, I was on YouTube today, and found some real good Doctor tribute videos.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Fourth Doctor

Fifth Doctor

Sixth Doctor

Seventh Doctor

Eighth Doctor

Ninth Doctor

Tenth Doctor

Companions

And before you ask, yes. He did do a Third Doctor tribute. Unforunately, he seems to have removed it. If/When he puts it back up, I'll link it here.
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Burn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:I assume you're still talking about the CBC when you say that.


ahhh no. ABC actually. They passed over Torchwood and Channel 10 picked it up. There's been nothing else said about when it'll air or anything.

Torchwood however NEEDS to air before this year's Dr Who airs though as the Torchwood finale follows into a DW episode(s) this year.
Image
I use to like Omega Supreme, then I took a duragrip to the brain
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38816
News Credits: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Postby Darth Bombshell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Burn wrote:Torchwood however NEEDS to air before this year's Dr Who airs though as the Torchwood finale follows into a DW episode(s) this year.


Ah. Well, if they do air all of Series III before Torchwood up here, it's going to be a hell of a task trying to come up with an explanation as to why Jack's back on the TARDIS for those unfamiliar with Torchwood. (Though thanks to the internet, I doubt there's very many of those people...)
Darth Bombshell
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13609
News Credits: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby High Command » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:42 am

Cyber Bishop wrote:One of the things I read on OG was Face of Boe meets the Doctor again he will say 4 words that will change his life..


You're a terrible Grandfather?

As you can guess I'd like to see what happened to Susan.

And for my recommendation of a Doctor Who DVD to go out and buy: The Mind Robber
Image
High Command
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8486
News Credits: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:39 am
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Rogue. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:18 pm

High Command wrote:
Cyber Bishop wrote:One of the things I read on OG was Face of Boe meets the Doctor again he will say 4 words that will change his life..


You're a terrible Grandfather?

As you can guess I'd like to see what happened to Susan.

And for my recommendation of a Doctor Who DVD to go out and buy: The Mind Robber


Hahaha :D I also wonder about Susan. What happened to her after the end of The Five Doctors? Did she go back to what I assume was modern-day Earth (in the 80s back then)? Was there anything in the novels or comics?

It's funny you mention The Mind Robber... because that is the next DW DVD I'm buying when I get paid next week ;)^
User avatar
Rogue.
Godmaster
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:37 am
Location: FL, Earth
Buy from Rogue. on eBay

Postby High Command » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:41 am

I know Susan starred in one of the 8th Doctor BBC books. I forget the exact title, but it's one of the ones with "Daleks" in the title. It's set on the future Earth where Susan was abandoned. IIRC she steals the Master's tardis at the end of the story.

As you might gather from my current sig, the 2nd doctor is my favourite. Sad that in the BBC archives only (IIRC) three complete stories of his survive intact, with no missing episodes. The Mind Robber is my favourite of those three, but the other two are quite good too. Thay are Tombs of the Cybermen and The Seeds of Death.
Image
High Command
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8486
News Credits: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:39 am
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Rogue. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:19 am

Is the War Games story intact? I thought I had seen that on PBS a few years ago. Sad that only a handful are complete. I've liked what I've seen of the 2nd Doctor. Now, if the audio survived for some of the other episodes that are only missing a few parts, then we could get them with newly animated parts like "Invasion" :)
User avatar
Rogue.
Godmaster
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:37 am
Location: FL, Earth
Buy from Rogue. on eBay

Postby High Command » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:28 am

Yep you're correct, The War Games is also complete. Altohugh I like the story it does drag a bit in the middle of the (IIRC) massive 10 episode story after a couple of episodes, but does pick up again at the end.
Image
High Command
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8486
News Credits: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:39 am
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Lord Galvatron » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Cyber Bishop wrote:WhoNA

http://www.whona.com/


I don't do online shopping, either...which sucks because that's about the only way it appears that I'm going to be able to get certain titles


I can personally vouch for that site... The warehouse is in my town, and I've been to it a few times when I've ordered from them, to pick up my stuff and save shipping. Good bunch of folk.
Lord Galvatron
Faction Commander
Posts: 4817
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014