The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Rodimus Prime wrote:I've never seen this show, but as soon as I'm done with The Walking Dead, I'm gonna start watching. Is it really gonna make me want to choose between the 2 Houses? Or should I just prepare for all-around carnage?

Actually the series makes you root for multiple people from multiple different houses with different causes. And yes, prepare for allaround carnage.

Also, in most cases, the books are better than the movies/shows made of them, which is why I didn't want to read the books 1st. Is this a good idea?

It's a mixed bag with Game of Thrones/ Song of Ice and Fire, there are some things that are done much better in the books than the show, while there are things that are done much better in the show than the books.
It's also a bit schinzofrenic at times. The show has much more sex and female nudity than the books (as in scenes) it even invents a whole new female character with the sole purpose of showing more sex scenes involving her and well, more interior shots of the bordello, making it almost a major location of the story.
But at the same time the show handles a good deal of the female characters much better, some of them are literally just two or even one dimensional accessories in the books, but in the show they're upgraded to actual three dimensional characters.

It doesn't really matter which you start first, since the show deviates a lot from the books starting with the second season. I would say watch the show first, then start the books. Since the series will be done earlier than the books. The series will soon branch off and go it's own way with own conclusion due to the fact that it will take years before the final two installations come out - that is if the author doesn't die before he's done.
Image


Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
User avatar
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14429
News Credits: 35
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 6:18 am

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Blast Cannon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:47 am

Motto: ""Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one lives forever.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
The last episode, Hardhome,was spectacular. Certainly the best episode of the current series, possibly of the entire show. It also proves my theory that fans of the books aren't annoyed by events that don't happen in the books, they're simply annoyed by bad episodes.
Image

It's safe to assume that I'm just taking the piss.
User avatar
Blast Cannon
God Of Transformers
Posts: 10008
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:51 am
Location: Manchester, UK
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Blast Cannon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:57 am

Motto: ""Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one lives forever.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.
Image

It's safe to assume that I'm just taking the piss.
User avatar
Blast Cannon
God Of Transformers
Posts: 10008
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:51 am
Location: Manchester, UK
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:31 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.


Good point. The only characters that are guaranteed to die or meet a cruel fate are almost always male Starks, and sometimes female Starks, Stark-bred dire wolves, Starks with potential to become heroes, Starks that become fan favorites, and Starks in general.

Except Tony Stark.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Blast Cannon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:05 am

Motto: ""Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one lives forever.""
Weapon: Dual Lasers
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.


Good point. The only characters that are guaranteed to die or meet a cruel fate are almost always male Starks, and sometimes female Starks, Stark-bred dire wolves, Starks with potential to become heroes, Starks that become fan favorites, and Starks in general.

Except Tony Stark.


The Avengers: The Tony Stark show. It's sad that I'm starting to resent how much attention one character is getting, however well-rounded and interesting.



I'm really, really, really hoping that Stannis brutalises Ramsey Bolton.
Image

It's safe to assume that I'm just taking the piss.
User avatar
Blast Cannon
God Of Transformers
Posts: 10008
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:51 am
Location: Manchester, UK
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Ironhidensh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
I'm hoping at some point theon attempts to redeem himself and kills Ramsey, or at least dies trying.
Image

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7550
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:14 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.


Good point. The only characters that are guaranteed to die or meet a cruel fate are almost always male Starks, and sometimes female Starks, Stark-bred dire wolves, Starks with potential to become heroes, Starks that become fan favorites, and Starks in general.

Except Tony Stark.


The Avengers: The Tony Stark show. It's sad that I'm starting to resent how much attention one character is getting, however well-rounded and interesting.



I'm really, really, really hoping that Stannis brutalises Ramsey Bolton.


Well, everybody loves Tony these days. Hot Toys, in particular. They seem to be making bucketloads of money from 1/6 scale figure collector with their Iron Man figures.

As for Ramsay, I'm going to have so much fun watching just what Stannis has in store for him. I mean, the man cut off his most trusted advisor's fingers "because it's the law." Imagine what Ramsay's crimes will entail.

Ironhidensh wrote:I'm hoping at some point theon attempts to redeem himself and kills Ramsey, or at least dies trying.


Reek! There is no Theon, only Reek!

Book spoiler: He does kind of do something to redeem himself in the book, but it's probably not going to carry over to the show, since the only dissenter in Winterfell is already dead.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Ironhidensh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.


Good point. The only characters that are guaranteed to die or meet a cruel fate are almost always male Starks, and sometimes female Starks, Stark-bred dire wolves, Starks with potential to become heroes, Starks that become fan favorites, and Starks in general.

Except Tony Stark.


The Avengers: The Tony Stark show. It's sad that I'm starting to resent how much attention one character is getting, however well-rounded and interesting.



I'm really, really, really hoping that Stannis brutalises Ramsey Bolton.


Well, everybody loves Tony these days. Hot Toys, in particular. They seem to be making bucketloads of money from 1/6 scale figure collector with their Iron Man figures.

As for Ramsay, I'm going to have so much fun watching just what Stannis has in store for him. I mean, the man cut off his most trusted advisor's fingers "because it's the law." Imagine what Ramsay's crimes will entail.

Ironhidensh wrote:I'm hoping at some point theon attempts to redeem himself and kills Ramsey, or at least dies trying.


Reek! There is no Theon, only Reek!

Book spoiler: He does kind of do something to redeem himself in the book, but it's probably not going to carry over to the show, since the only dissenter in Winterfell is already dead.
Image

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 7550
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:14 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Ironhidensh wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:
Blast Cannon wrote:
SKYWARPED_128 wrote:I'm glad that the show is starting to overtake the books. I'm getting sick of waiting for Martin to finish the next one.

As for the show itself, I found the changes they made in Sansa's story arc infuriating, but in a good way. It makes you REALLY want to see Ramsay get his just desserts, and it's going to be that much more satisfying when he does.


You mean if he does? This is Game of Thrones after all.


Good point. The only characters that are guaranteed to die or meet a cruel fate are almost always male Starks, and sometimes female Starks, Stark-bred dire wolves, Starks with potential to become heroes, Starks that become fan favorites, and Starks in general.

Except Tony Stark.


The Avengers: The Tony Stark show. It's sad that I'm starting to resent how much attention one character is getting, however well-rounded and interesting.



I'm really, really, really hoping that Stannis brutalises Ramsey Bolton.


Well, everybody loves Tony these days. Hot Toys, in particular. They seem to be making bucketloads of money from 1/6 scale figure collector with their Iron Man figures.

As for Ramsay, I'm going to have so much fun watching just what Stannis has in store for him. I mean, the man cut off his most trusted advisor's fingers "because it's the law." Imagine what Ramsay's crimes will entail.

Ironhidensh wrote:I'm hoping at some point theon attempts to redeem himself and kills Ramsey, or at least dies trying.


Reek! There is no Theon, only Reek!

Book spoiler: He does kind of do something to redeem himself in the book, but it's probably not going to carry over to the show, since the only dissenter in Winterfell is already dead.


(stares at empty reply section and contemplates holding monitor up to a light to see if words will appear :P )
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Burn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Behind the scenes of the Hardhome Massacre.
Image
(He's a little sensitive about it)
Rated X wrote:Right now the best option is to buy 4 alpha bravos.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 40751
News Credits: 72
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:37 am

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Impressive! I like how they cared enough to actually give the white walkers varying states of decomposition.

TWD did that in the initial episodes, but as the show wore on, they stopped bothering. But that's another story for another thread.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Burn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:51 pm

Budget constraints I would imagine. You can already tell this season has more money behind it than previous seasons.
Image
(He's a little sensitive about it)
Rated X wrote:Right now the best option is to buy 4 alpha bravos.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 40751
News Credits: 72
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:37 am

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Burn wrote:Budget constraints I would imagine. You can already tell this season has more money behind it than previous seasons.


Good point. GoT is probably the hottest show on HBO right now, and higher ratings naturally commands a higher budget.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2821
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Wigglez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 am

Motto: "*cough*"
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
The show is f***ing great. I haven't read the books sadly but do deeply enjoy the show. Can't wait till assassin 6
Image
User avatar
Wigglez
Headmaster
Posts: 1176
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm
Location: Everywhere
Watch Wigglez on YouTube
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: N/A
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Burn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:35 am

Wigglez wrote:Can't wait till assassin 6

Given how often people die in this show, and working on the assumption that you meant season, that's a damn good auto-correct. Image
Image
(He's a little sensitive about it)
Rated X wrote:Right now the best option is to buy 4 alpha bravos.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 40751
News Credits: 72
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:37 am

Re: The Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Postby Wigglez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am

Motto: "*cough*"
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
Yeah I'm on here with my iPad and I mistyped season and autocorrect brought up assassin.
Image
User avatar
Wigglez
Headmaster
Posts: 1176
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm
Location: Everywhere
Watch Wigglez on YouTube
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: N/A
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #121 - SDCC 2015
Twincast / Podcast #121:
"SDCC 2015"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Tuesday, July 21st, 2015