The Zelda games are Linked?!

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 am

I'm watching those right now....pretty iunteresting stuff.

One thing that keeps bugging me about the Zelda franchise, though, is why do people keep insisting that the games are RPGs? Nintendo themselves have always clearly labeled them as adventure games, yet every time I ever see a review or hear some know-it-all fan say anything about them, they're called RPGs.
Image
Nemesis Cyberplex
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:20 am

Postby UltraPrimal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 am

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
Nemesis Cyberplex wrote:I'm watching those right now....pretty iunteresting stuff.

One thing that keeps bugging me about the Zelda franchise, though, is why do people keep insisting that the games are RPGs? Nintendo themselves have always clearly labeled them as adventure games, yet every time I ever see a review or hear some know-it-all fan say anything about them, they're called RPGs.

I guess b/c you're so heavily and deeply into the story when you play it's like you are Link. Which is really what RPGs are about, feeling directly connected to the character. And not to mention Zelda games have always been living worlds like those you'ld find in an RPG.
Image
User avatar
UltraPrimal
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6014
News Credits: 34
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:21 am
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:18 am

UltraPrimal wrote:
Nemesis Cyberplex wrote:I'm watching those right now....pretty iunteresting stuff.

One thing that keeps bugging me about the Zelda franchise, though, is why do people keep insisting that the games are RPGs? Nintendo themselves have always clearly labeled them as adventure games, yet every time I ever see a review or hear some know-it-all fan say anything about them, they're called RPGs.

I guess b/c you're so heavily and deeply into the story when you play it's like you are Link. Which is really what RPGs are about, feeling directly connected to the character. And not to mention Zelda games have always been living worlds like those you'ld find in an RPG.
It's just kinda odd because aside from what you mentioned they really have no features that would consider it to be related to an RPG. Hell, in most cases anymore they'd probably be more related to platform games what with all the puzzle-solving & item-collecting you did.....could you actually do more platform jumping that you can.


Edit: I finally saw all of those.....took long enough to load.... & I have to say, I don't think their split timeline theory works. One of the things that stands out as not matching up is the maidens from LTTP being decendants of the Sages in OOT....which took place in their "Hyrule B"....yet LTTP follows A's timeline, where the sages were never assembled. I may be wrong, & possibly missing something, but it did stand out to me.
Image
Nemesis Cyberplex
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:20 am

Postby Hotrod » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:21 pm

I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.
Hotrod
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8944
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 5:12 pm

Postby Shadowman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:23 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29972
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Postby Autobobby1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Shadowman wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.


Yeah, you never know where in the timeline a new game will end up and what it will affect. Just look at OoT. Before that, we all thought that Hyrule was a generic medieval kingdom (dragons, imps, elves, monsters, princesses, treasure, magic, the usual), but now we know that it was created by three goddesses.

It would be best to make a book after the series is officially over, in maybe another 20 years or so. :P
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Hotrod » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.


Good point.
Hotrod
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8944
News Credits: 37
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 5:12 pm

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Autobobby1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.


Yeah, you never know where in the timeline a new game will end up and what it will affect. Just look at OoT. Before that, we all thought that Hyrule was a generic medieval kingdom (dragons, imps, elves, monsters, princesses, treasure, magic, the usual), but now we know that it was created by three goddesses.

It would be best to make a book after the series is officially over, in maybe another 20 years or so. :P
If I were to guess, I'd say that Nintendo possibly dosen't want these games to be connected by a distinct timeline. From a creative POV, this makes sense, because then if you want to try something new or look at the series from a different angle, as Miyamoto(sp?) tends to do, fans would be going nuts about how certain parts of the backstory don't mesh up well when put in with the continuities of the other games.
Image
Nemesis Cyberplex
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:20 am

Postby Autobobby1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
Nemesis Cyberplex wrote:
Autobobby1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.


Yeah, you never know where in the timeline a new game will end up and what it will affect. Just look at OoT. Before that, we all thought that Hyrule was a generic medieval kingdom (dragons, imps, elves, monsters, princesses, treasure, magic, the usual), but now we know that it was created by three goddesses.

It would be best to make a book after the series is officially over, in maybe another 20 years or so. :P
If I were to guess, I'd say that Nintendo possibly dosen't want these games to be connected by a distinct timeline. From a creative POV, this makes sense, because then if you want to try something new or look at the series from a different angle, as Miyamoto(sp?) tends to do, fans would be going nuts about how certain parts of the backstory don't mesh up well when put in with the continuities of the other games.


You're backing up your opposition. That's exactly our point. New games would screw with an official history because they are out of order.
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Nemesis Cyberplex » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Autobobby1 wrote:
Nemesis Cyberplex wrote:
Autobobby1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I think Nintendo should release an official history of the Legend of Zelda book. I know I would buy it.


While that is a good idea at first, you have to realize that the whole thing would have to be rewritten every time a new game came out.


Yeah, you never know where in the timeline a new game will end up and what it will affect. Just look at OoT. Before that, we all thought that Hyrule was a generic medieval kingdom (dragons, imps, elves, monsters, princesses, treasure, magic, the usual), but now we know that it was created by three goddesses.

It would be best to make a book after the series is officially over, in maybe another 20 years or so. :P
If I were to guess, I'd say that Nintendo possibly dosen't want these games to be connected by a distinct timeline. From a creative POV, this makes sense, because then if you want to try something new or look at the series from a different angle, as Miyamoto(sp?) tends to do, fans would be going nuts about how certain parts of the backstory don't mesh up well when put in with the continuities of the other games.


You're backing up your opposition. That's exactly our point. New games would screw with an official history because they are out of order.
Didn't know I was opposing anything....but okay, if you say so....
Image
Nemesis Cyberplex
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:20 am

Postby Shadowman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Autobobby1 wrote:You're backing up your opposition. That's exactly our point. New games would screw with an official history because they are out of order.


That's called "Agreeing."

He wasn't opposing us in the first place.

Don't think that everyone is against you.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29972
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Postby DISCHARGE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:17 pm

Motto: "AnTagony IS the PitS. MoVe ALonG WoRMs. THis WarS NOT gOnNa WIN iTSelf!"
Weapon: Front-Mounted Anti-Matter Projector
So where does Zelda's Adventure, Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil belong in the timeline? I have never played these since they were made for the Philips CD-I. Or are they just a different Zelda world all together?
User avatar
DISCHARGE
Gestalt
Posts: 2844
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:41 pm
Firepower: 10+

Postby Shadowman » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:20 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
DISCHARGE wrote:So where does Zelda's Adventure, Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil belong in the timeline? I have never played these since they were made for the Philips CD-I. Or are they just a different Zelda world all together?


They're non-canon. And to be fair, we should just forget they exist.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 29972
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Postby Autobobby1 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Weapon: Gattling Gun
They were not made by Nintendo, so they're just abominations of the name "Zelda."
Mashed potatoes can be your friends!
User avatar
Autobobby1
City Commander
Posts: 3253
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:24 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Next

Return to Video Games and Mobile Apps Forum

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Hasbro G1 Reissue Platinum Edition Trypticon in Stock - Time Remaining: 6 days 13 hours 41 minutes 38 seconds
Transformers Hasbro Movies 4 Age of Extinction AOE Voyager Dinobot SLOG + Drift - Time Remaining: 7 days 20 hours 46 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Scout Class Construct Bots Ironhide & Starscream Action Figures - Time Remaining: 7 days 19 hours 23 minutes 24 seconds
NEW TRANSFORMERS HUNT FOR THE DECEPTICONS  " TOMAHAWK "  Hasbro ages 5+ - Time Remaining: 7 days 7 hours 46 minutes 7 seconds
NEW BB7 YM01 Transformers Masterpiece MP-11SW MP11SW Skywarp G1 figure instock - Time Remaining: 6 days 3 hours 4 minutes 54 seconds
TAKARA TRANSFORMERS TF COLLECTION HOT ROD # 13 MISB - Time Remaining: 12 days 21 hours 40 minutes 57 seconds
Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-28 HOT RODIMUS Action Figure G1+COIN hot rod! - Time Remaining: 6 days 3 hours 39 minutes 5 seconds
Transformers TRU G1 Commemorative Series VII Rodimus Prime NEW factory sealed - Time Remaining: 5 days 21 hours 26 minutes 43 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
Twincast / Podcast #153:
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016