Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Thougts on TF for PS2

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

Thougts on TF for PS2

Postby Gauge Lock » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm

From what I have played so far (the first Chapter with Bumblebee) I can easily see the games strengths and weaknesses for the PS2.

Control: Button configuration looks complex at first but when it comes down it, its pretty simple to control. Driving is easy to get used to and comes in handy when you need to get somewhere fast. Flying Transformers like Blackout may be a bit weirder to control at first when in flight, but otherwise isn't too difficult to get the hang of. Overall, controlling your Transformer is not that hard at all.

For some, fighting might feel too hack and slash and too simple. You have a main gun, a powerful gun or launcher, your melee attack, and a ground pound that sends a powerful shock wave. Pressing your melee button more than once results in a combo, but otherwise there isn't too much variety in your fighting.


Graphics: Probably the strongest point of the game. The environment isn't too boring and has a lot of interactive parts that you can either smash to bits or pick up and toss. The terrain itself is pretty well done. The Transformers themselves of course are just incredible. Switching from bot to vehicle is done so well! Its pretty fun to just see it go back and forth.

Also the cut scenes are done very well. Now if only there weren't so many....or at least they could have combined some so that your game play wasn't constantly interrupted.


Difficulty: The game....is pretty easy so far. I dunno how its gonna be like facing off against someone like Megatron, but so far my first boss fight with Barricade was easy once i knew how to get his guard down. Also the drones (if thats what they are called) are pretty easy to take down. Really, its just two classes of enemy Transformers: Boss and Drone with the boss of course being a major movie character. If you ever played Fight for the Allspark on the game's official site, you will defiantly recognize the drone characters like the forklift or the cement truck. Also, whenever you are in robot form and or causing a lot of destruction, you will get cops on your tail who will shoot at you. After a while and more destruction you will get helicopters that shoot missiles. After that, you get tanks on your butt. My next guess is the go nuclear and Bumblebee is blasted to kingdom come in a mushroom cloud. But seriously, I wish my enemies were a bit of a better match. I didn't think it would take much to take down someone like Barricade down so easily. Hopefully my next boss fight won't be so easy.


Loading: There is a fair amount of loading (which is practically trademark of Sony Playstation games since the beginning of time) but luckily it is very brief. And usually it will either tell you controls or what your current mission is (which by the time you read it is usually done loading).


Destruction: There is a crap-load of it. I do not know what you CAN'T destroy is the game. Just walking around as Bumblebee and your own footsteps make massive potholes from hell! Buildings? No prob. You can punch em, kick em, throw a bus at em, shoot at em, stomp on it. Just about anything can be picked up and tossed around. I often find myself destroying stuff without knowing it.

Submissions/Sidequests: I dunno about you...but it took me a pretty damn long time trying find those glowing cubes. Why are there so many? They are almost pointless other than opening up bonus content. And when you get having 95 or more in your possession, it will drive you nuts looking all around the whole damn city for five or less glowing cubes. I wish they at least popped on the map, but that would make them even further useless.

As for submissions, they aren't too bad. They are really just minigames and aren't too hard to beat. They could use more variety or difficulty.

Also, there are certain sort of skill points you can try to achieve like throwing, speed, and jump. They are not very hard to achieve at all. Once you do master those as well as all the side stuff and get all 100 cubes, I think you unlock the G1 skin for that character.


Overall: I like the game, but it may fall short for some. Visually its spectacular, but could have used more work on its game design. Really, it could have used some more difficulty at the very least.

If it were up to me, this game should and would have been more like Stars Wars Battle Front II. For one, it would have had a lot of individual character stats, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as a variety of difficulty. I liked the idea of how varied the weaponry and attacks were on the game site (Battle for the Allspark) and i honestly had hoped to see that in this game and it should have been in this game, but that didn't happen. But then again, this game did what it was intended to do [which was follow the movie plot.] Who knows, if they did a knock off with a free ranged story, it could reach its maximum potential.

So when it comes down to it, I think the fact that the game was built so close to the movie it is limited on reaching its full potential. But thats the major flaw of most movie games. But just to keep on the bright side, you have a lot of characters to work with, you get to really destroy a lot of stuff, the graphics are just awesome, and you gots lots of space to roam. Its an easy game, but it is still pretty fun to play and watch. For those who want something with very high difficulty level try another game, but otherwise go on ahead and check this one out.
Gauge Lock
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 am

Postby spiritofcat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:18 pm

Glad to hear you enjoy the PS2 version. That is the console version I will be getting too.
I have heard a lot of other people complaining about the missions all being time-limited, but you make no mention of that.
Are the missions time-limited on the PS2?
spiritofcat
Pretender
Posts: 778
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am

Postby buddhaquest » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 am

Motto: ""If you're not early, you're late.""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
The time-limit missions drive me insane... that and the camera is screwy every once in a while.

I was shocked when a certain Decep made an appearance... :shock:

So far Blackout is definitely my favorite character to play as, love those blades.
These little words are having sex with your eyeballs
User avatar
buddhaquest
Godmaster
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 1:11 am
Location: Portland, OR
Buy from buddhaquest on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby dragons » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 am

yeah hate thos time limits megarton is hard if you dont know what your doing i am a little dissapointed in teh game though ive notice i couldnt play as ratchet, or bonecrusher in teh game freanzy i could understand woulodnt do much of anything but leaving out ratchet, and bonecrusjer in the game i wanted to play as.

i dont think you can play as them in the pc, ps3, or 360 versions it didnt say that the players guide i would have really like if the gave you the option like they did in transformers armada after you beat the game aubotbot or decepticon side they let you choose who you want to play as later in free roam all i get is optimus, and bumble mostly.

if i want to play as jazz or inrohide again i have to battle brawl, or starscream again in armada you could choose which you want to plays hotshot, prime, redalert, before you go out on a mission that was a little dssspointing in my half.
Image
dragons
Gestalt
Posts: 2456
News Credits: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:28 pm

Postby Insurgent » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Glad to hear the all out destructivness and the graphics are present on the PS2 version. It was from TT and having played Lego SW 1 and 2, I wasnt expecting a too difficult or long game, but a damn good fun one with a ton of unlockables. Glad to see I wont be dissapointed (though a long game and a challenging game are better). Now I just have to wait 21 days for the game to come out here. And 28 days for teh movie. :-x Thanks for the review.
Insurgent
Gestalt
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:10 pm

Postby Gauge Lock » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Okay, what I said about difficulty? I was proven wrong today. After advancing into the next two levels, both Drones, Bosses, and missions got much more difficult. I was pleased to not only take Jazz out for a test ride, but Iron Hide AND Optimus Prime himself in one level! Also I am glad to see that the individual Autobots have their own way of fighting (like Iron Hide shot down a missile that sends out a huge shock wave instead of a a standard ground pound). The Drones themselves got to be larger and much harder to take down. I am very surprised to find that someone big like Iron Hide was getting his ass handed to him by a tow truck! Even more fun was the boss fight with Optimus Prime against an old school Decepticon: Shockwave. He attacks in both an artillery gun and robot mode but also flies to the next area in his helicopter mode. Needless to say, he proved to be a greater match than Barricade. If anything, the tow truck Drone was about as hard if not harder to take down than Barricade!

Oh yeah, and when it comes to time limits, it varies. Some missions give you a time limit, and the difficulty will vary. Sometimes it can be pretty easy, but later on I found myself either failing or barely making it.

As for the next chapter, things get harder. I actually keep failing trying to survive while the Allspark adjusts itself. Megatron is pretty damn hard with just one arm...i hate to see what'll happen once Frosty the Snowbot thaws out.

For unlockables, You get a lot (i mean over 150) pictures ranging from character profiles to G1 characters, and comic book covers. There are also a few movies to unlock and if I am correct the G1 skins for your characters.

I know some critics may have been harsh on the game and some anti-movie TF fans will be merciless, but i really think this is a pretty fun game. I mean...I just love playing a Transformer! Its just so damn fun to roam around either save the day from destruction or BE the destruction. Of course the game has its flaws and could use some more content, but its not enough to turn me down from playing it! I definitly recommend giving this game a test drive. :D
Gauge Lock
Mini-Con
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:07 am

Postby spiritofcat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:53 am

Okay, I've got the PS2 version now too and I'm really loving it.

I started with the D'cons, and I've not yet completed all the missions in the first area.

Let me take a moment to explain how the game actually operates, since this was not made clear to me in any of the reviews I read here.

The gameplay is divided into two parts. There are missions, and there is free-roaming between missions.

The loading screen before the game begins shows a diagram of the controls, and as soon as the game starts you're free to use them all. No restricted tutorial here.

The game starts in what I'll call free-roaming mode.
You're blackout, and you've got starscream encouraging you through the communications to go and show the army a proper decepticon welcome. There's a glowing green marker indicating where you should be heading for.

I however chose not to immediately race over to the marker and start 'welcoming' the army base. I chose something else.
That is, I chose to transform and run around blowing stuff up.
The desert area is not infinite, and if you wander outside the edge of it you are presented with an on-screen warning and countdown to being reset to the mission area. You don't die or fail in any way for leaving the area, you just get sent back in. The area is quite large though, so this isn't much of a problem.

After pausing the game and navigating to the right in the pause menu you are presented with a summary of the collectables. There are 5 grey D'con logos to be found, 100 yellow cubes, 4 challenges and 3 skills to demonstrate.

The first of these that I collected was one of the skill achievements. Destruction.
As soon as I started destroying stuff, a destruction meter formed of five logos appeared at the top of the screen. As my rampage continued, the meter filled. When it was full, I was informed that I had unlocked bonus content.
Now on the collectables summary one of the three skills was completed.
There was another skill for throwing things very far. This was kind of tricky since the throwing physics is not the same as that of real life. In reality, to throw something as far as possible you should aim at an angle of 45 degrees. However, in the game, aiming as high as possible yeilds the greatest distance when throwing.

The yellow cubes are scattered all over the landscape and are relatively easy to find. There are 100 of them though, so it takes a while, and I had to spend quite a while searching in helicopter mode to find the last 5 that I had missed.

The grey logos are again scattered throughout the landscape, but since they're grey and there are only five of them, they really don't stand out and are much harder to find. I found all 100 cubes, but only 1 logo so far.

The challenges are represented by larger cubes again scattered throughout the area. Upon reaching one you are presented with a summary of the challenge (destroy lots of stuff or push all the drones out of the ring or a couple of others) and the number of yellow cubes you must have collected before you are allowed to attempt it.

Those are all the collectables and activities available to you in free-roaming in the first D'con area (And probably the same system applies to all areas).

So at the start of the game you can either start looking for and completing those things, or you can do as starscream says and go to the green marker.

Upon reaching the green marker you're given a short cutscene and then a loading screen with a mission brief.
Some missions are time limited and some aren't.
Upon completing a mission you're returned to free-roaming mode as whichever character you were in the mission.
This means that when you do a mission that lets you play as Scorponok instead of Blackout, you get to be Scorponok in free-roaming afterwards.

In free-roaming you're always got Starscream in your ear telling you to go to the next mission, which is always marked with a green marker.
Previous mission are also marked, with yellow markers and you're free to go and re-play them as much as you want.
However, replaying a mission does not change your free-roaming character. So if you just did a Scorponok mission and you want to be Blackout again in free-roaming, going back and re-playing the first mission won't turn you back into him. You'll have to continue with the new missions until you get to one that makes you be him again.
I don't know how character switching is handled once you've completed all the missions in an area since I haven't done that yet, but I expect you will be allowed to choose your character from the ones that have mission in that area.


That concludes my explanation of gameplay. Now I'll get to the complaining.

The camera controls are annoying.
Right analog stick moves the camera. That's good.
There is an invert Y-Axis option. That's good.
There is no invert X-Axis option. That's neutral.
Pushing the stick right makes the camera move left around the character to give you a view of what is to the right. That's fine if you're playing a FPS, but for Third Person action that's the wrong way around. Coupled with the lack of an invert X option this is really quite a problem. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but it would be nice to have the option of changing it to what I'm used to using in other games such as Okami and Legend of Zelda games.

When flying as a helicopter, the left stick controls your movement back and forward, left and right, while the right stick lets you turn left and right and pitch up and down. That's fine, except that there is no elevation control.
If you want to fly higher up, you have to look up and fly forward.
If you look down and fly forward you get closer to the ground.
This makes it hard to keep your altitude while trying to shoot targets on the ground.
I'm fairly sure that going backwards when facing up or down has the same effect on your altitude as going forward does. This seems somewhat counter-intuative too.

Those are my only complaints. Everything else is awesome!
Some people complained about not being able to transform while jumping. It's true, you can't, but I don't really find this to be a problem. Sure it would be a cool thing to be able to do, but it doesn't really bother me or have any negative impact on the gameplay as far as I've seen.
Of course, I haven't played any of the Autobot campaign, or any more of the D'con campaign that just the desert area, so I can't comment on the car driving controls.


For me, this is the best PS2 Transformers game.
There's something very satisfying about stomping around as a giant robot and blowing stuff up. Being able to transform into a helicopter and zoom around makes it even better!

Armada was quite good, but I had no connection to the series, the gameplay became boring after a while, you could only play as Autobots, and only 3 of them at that. There was no flying, just driving and walking.

Tataki was bad. It was cool that it was G1, but the gameplay was so poor. The script and voice acting was funny though.
spiritofcat
Pretender
Posts: 778
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am

Postby Insurgent » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:31 am

So the free roaming/mission bits are basically the same format as GTA. Good. I like that format.

As for the camera, you swing the stick right and the guy looks right. Whats confusing about that? It would be confusing the other way around. But I guess if there are games you play that get you used to that, it would be difficult.

HURRY UP AND GET HERE JULY 20TH!! I WANT MY TF CARNAGE FIX! ARMARDA JUST DOESN'T GIVE THE DESTRUCTION FACTOR THIS SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS!! :sad: :sad:
Insurgent
Gestalt
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:10 pm

Postby SunScourge » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:34 am

Motto: "" Perhaps this divine revelation has finally ceased your blasphemous prattle?" - Sunstorm"
Weapon: Short-Range Laser Pistols
I love the game, for the most part. I have beat it already but I am having fun free roaming and collecting all the goodies. My two complaints are the camera and the camera. If they would fix that I would have no problem. But as far as movie based games this is second. ( First is spider-man 2)
User avatar
SunScourge
Vehicon
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby Insurgent » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:15 am

I've just watched footage of the first con mission on PS2 on youtube. Why do we have to wait another month for this?? GRR!!
Insurgent
Gestalt
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:10 pm

Postby Rodimus Cloud » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:20 pm

I bought the game for ps2 too and it's ok. But the missions are driving me crazy I mean why does almost everything have to be done in a time limit?

I like the Decepticons missions more because you mostly need to destroy something...

I'm currently playing Autobots compaign and I'm having trouble in a boss battle. I'm controling Jazz who have to face Blackout, Starscream, neverending suplies of police cars and tanks. I mean really...WTF!!!! So much for that till'' all are one... it seems to me that this now changes in '' stand alone against many!'' Jeeez!

Any tips?
Rodimus Cloud
Micromaster
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Postby spiritofcat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:18 pm

I haven't played the Autobot campaign yet, but my advice would be to throw the police cars at the decepticons, and when you're low on health, destroy police cars in the hope that they'll give you more health. I know that in the decepticon campaign you can destroy military helicopters and other units to gain health.


As to the camera, like I said, in a third person game you really expect to be controling the movement of the camera in relation to the character. Swinging it around them, not directing where they will look.
If the camera controls turned the robot and made him face the same direction that you're looking with the camera then maybe it would seem okay. But as it stands, the robot continues to face the direction he was facing while only the camera swings around to face the direction you pointed.
spiritofcat
Pretender
Posts: 778
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am

Postby Shadowman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Oh, good, the PS2 version is good. I guess I'll pick it up at some point, then.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28786
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Postby Rodimus Cloud » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:24 am

spiritofcat wrote:I haven't played the Autobot campaign yet, but my advice would be to throw the police cars at the decepticons, and when you're low on health, destroy police cars in the hope that they'll give you more health.


Thanx but I don't have time to pick the cars cuz they both charge at me! Poor Jazz...

Oh and in Decepticon compaign, how do I beat Ironhide?

Thanx
Rodimus Cloud
Micromaster
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Postby SunScourge » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:42 am

Motto: "" Perhaps this divine revelation has finally ceased your blasphemous prattle?" - Sunstorm"
Weapon: Short-Range Laser Pistols
Rodimus Cloud wrote:
spiritofcat wrote:I haven't played the Autobot campaign yet, but my advice would be to throw the police cars at the decepticons, and when you're low on health, destroy police cars in the hope that they'll give you more health.


Thanx but I don't have time to pick the cars cuz they both charge at me! Poor Jazz...

Oh and in Decepticon compaign, how do I beat Ironhide?

Thanx


On the fight when you are fighting Starscream and Blackout. I little trick I use was remembering that in one of the corners there is some health that appears like every 10 seconds or so. Thats what help me beat him.
User avatar
SunScourge
Vehicon
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Postby ashe5k » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:54 am

Motto: "He who hesitates, is lost."
Weapon: Cyclone Gun
I haven't gotten very far in the PS2 game, just rented it last night and have been playing through as the Autobots. It may not be the most original game, but I was having fun with it and I like the roaming but the leader updates when you're roaming do get annoying.

The models look great and move well. There are some sticky spots where you can get stuck between buildings, but overall it wasn't too bad. There's only been one mission that I thought was completely idiotic. *SPOILER* It's that one where as Prime you have to drive/run around the city chasing Bumblebee in the nets and you can't do anything other than follow the helicoptor... THAT was dumb */SPOILER*

My only other gripe is that it forces you into melee combat with anything other than basic drones. You HAVE to throw things and move in close to punch/kick/stab and can't just ping them from farther away. And for crying out loud, let me shot them when I knock them down or stomp on them. They are less than invincible on their back.

I rank it right up there with the Armada game. 8 out of 10. Oh, and I did say that I just rented it, when I get paid Friday I will be BUYING it. I liked it that much
PSN/Origin/Steam: ashe5k
ashe5k
Brainmaster
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:11 am
Location: Findlay OH
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Rank: 5
Courage: 3
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby Skowl » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Anyone know if the other Decepticons are unlockable, playable characters?

I'd pick up this game in a heartbeat if I knew I could play as Brawl and Bonecrusher.
User avatar
Skowl
News Staff
Posts: 4557
News Credits: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:20 am

Postby Cybertron Optimus » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:14 pm

After hearing on Time-Limited missions , I decided to save myself frustration and not got the game.
Cybertron Optimus
Headmaster
Posts: 1213
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Postby blueprimal » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:18 pm

Since you all are talking about the time limit thing..so I suppose one has to go through and finish all the missions like its supposed to before you can go back and have the liberty to free roam right? How long are the time limits? Are they hard to beat?
Also Does anyone know if the PS2 version can be switched to Widescreen Mode?
blueprimal
Minibot
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby SunScourge » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:43 am

Motto: "" Perhaps this divine revelation has finally ceased your blasphemous prattle?" - Sunstorm"
Weapon: Short-Range Laser Pistols
Skowl wrote:Anyone know if the other Decepticons are unlockable, playable characters?

I'd pick up this game in a heartbeat if I knew I could play as Brawl and Bonecrusher.


Sorry those two are not playable. :sad: I am upset about that myself.
User avatar
SunScourge
Vehicon
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:46 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Thougts on TF for PS2

Postby Xion » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Gauge Lock wrote:From what I have played so far (the first Chapter with Bumblebee) I can easily see the games strengths and weaknesses for the PS2.

Control: Button configuration looks complex at first but when it comes down it, its pretty simple to control. Driving is easy to get used to and comes in handy when you need to get somewhere fast. Flying Transformers like Blackout may be a bit weirder to control at first when in flight, but otherwise isn't too difficult to get the hang of. Overall, controlling your Transformer is not that hard at all.

For some, fighting might feel too hack and slash and too simple. You have a main gun, a powerful gun or launcher, your melee attack, and a ground pound that sends a powerful shock wave. Pressing your melee button more than once results in a combo, but otherwise there isn't too much variety in your fighting.


Graphics: Probably the strongest point of the game. The environment isn't too boring and has a lot of interactive parts that you can either smash to bits or pick up and toss. The terrain itself is pretty well done. The Transformers themselves of course are just incredible. Switching from bot to vehicle is done so well! Its pretty fun to just see it go back and forth.

Also the cut scenes are done very well. Now if only there weren't so many....or at least they could have combined some so that your game play wasn't constantly interrupted.


Difficulty: The game....is pretty easy so far. I dunno how its gonna be like facing off against someone like Megatron, but so far my first boss fight with Barricade was easy once i knew how to get his guard down. Also the drones (if thats what they are called) are pretty easy to take down. Really, its just two classes of enemy Transformers: Boss and Drone with the boss of course being a major movie character. If you ever played Fight for the Allspark on the game's official site, you will defiantly recognize the drone characters like the forklift or the cement truck. Also, whenever you are in robot form and or causing a lot of destruction, you will get cops on your tail who will shoot at you. After a while and more destruction you will get helicopters that shoot missiles. After that, you get tanks on your butt. My next guess is the go nuclear and Bumblebee is blasted to kingdom come in a mushroom cloud. But seriously, I wish my enemies were a bit of a better match. I didn't think it would take much to take down someone like Barricade down so easily. Hopefully my next boss fight won't be so easy.


Loading: There is a fair amount of loading (which is practically trademark of Sony Playstation games since the beginning of time) but luckily it is very brief. And usually it will either tell you controls or what your current mission is (which by the time you read it is usually done loading).


Destruction: There is a crap-load of it. I do not know what you CAN'T destroy is the game. Just walking around as Bumblebee and your own footsteps make massive potholes from hell! Buildings? No prob. You can punch em, kick em, throw a bus at em, shoot at em, stomp on it. Just about anything can be picked up and tossed around. I often find myself destroying stuff without knowing it.

Submissions/Sidequests: I dunno about you...but it took me a pretty damn long time trying find those glowing cubes. Why are there so many? They are almost pointless other than opening up bonus content. And when you get having 95 or more in your possession, it will drive you nuts looking all around the whole damn city for five or less glowing cubes. I wish they at least popped on the map, but that would make them even further useless.

As for submissions, they aren't too bad. They are really just minigames and aren't too hard to beat. They could use more variety or difficulty.

Also, there are certain sort of skill points you can try to achieve like throwing, speed, and jump. They are not very hard to achieve at all. Once you do master those as well as all the side stuff and get all 100 cubes, I think you unlock the G1 skin for that character.


Overall: I like the game, but it may fall short for some. Visually its spectacular, but could have used more work on its game design. Really, it could have used some more difficulty at the very least.

If it were up to me, this game should and would have been more like Stars Wars Battle Front II. For one, it would have had a lot of individual character stats, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as a variety of difficulty. I liked the idea of how varied the weaponry and attacks were on the game site (Battle for the Allspark) and i honestly had hoped to see that in this game and it should have been in this game, but that didn't happen. But then again, this game did what it was intended to do [which was follow the movie plot.] Who knows, if they did a knock off with a free ranged story, it could reach its maximum potential.

So when it comes down to it, I think the fact that the game was built so close to the movie it is limited on reaching its full potential. But thats the major flaw of most movie games. But just to keep on the bright side, you have a lot of characters to work with, you get to really destroy a lot of stuff, the graphics are just awesome, and you gots lots of space to roam. Its an easy game, but it is still pretty fun to play and watch. For those who want something with very high difficulty level try another game, but otherwise go on ahead and check this one out.


Does the camera control suck on your version, too ? I tested the game for 5 minuites and it's a mess, my first thinking was, how dare they to bring a game out with so many engine faults ??? The camera doesn't work proberley and their are so many glitches in the game I just hope tht the Xbox 360 version is much better in the engine and the camera works without exception. :?
Xion
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:49 pm

Postby Xion » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Never mind with the camera problem I tested with an other controlpad with the original and there it works proberley.
Xion
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:49 pm

Postby spiritofcat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:41 pm

The only problem I had with the camera is the lack of X-Axis invert. The actual camera controls respond fine and work properly.

Please don't misunderstand me on the topic of timed missions.

Most missions have time limits. However, you can choose when to do the missions, and you're able to roam the environment freely for as long as you want, collecting cubes, destroying property, kicking cars, fighting off enemy robots and human police and military forces when you're not doing a mission.

To me, the time limits within the missions serve only to make them somewhat challenging. If there were no time limits most of the missions would be far too easy. They add a sense of urgency and tension to the missions.
Last edited by spiritofcat on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritofcat
Pretender
Posts: 778
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:45 am

Postby blueprimal » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:42 pm

I just bought the ps2 version, cant' wait for it to get here...I bought it at a used Game store for $21.99...Does this game allow 2 players like the PS2 Godzilla game?
blueprimal
Minibot
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby blueprimal » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Spiritofcat, so you are saying the game doesn't have the option to invert the axis? I usually prefer "Controller right, camera right" type of control unless I am playing a fighter plane type game which then matches the real controller of a plane. So whats the default axis control like?
blueprimal
Minibot
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Next

Return to Video Games Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014