Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby GuyIncognito » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm

To those complaining about how awful the last three movies were:

They made a crapload of money for Hasbro (providing a source of revenue they can draw upon to create Classicverse toys, Masterpiece toys, Prime toys, etc.), reinvigorated interest in Transformers, and helped create a new generation of fans/collectors.

Also, if you want to look at it objectively, the Bay movies were no worse than the 1985 movie or the G1 cartoon, which had atrocious writing on par with what a 10-year-old would write because they were nothing more than commercials.

So let's stop acting like Bay came in and ruined Transformers.
User avatar
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
Posts: 4706
News Credits: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 am
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
User avatar
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
Posts: 340
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Portland, OR
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Rank: ???
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Burn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…


So i'm guessing because I liked the movies you don't think too highly of me then? Or my family and work colleagues?
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38547
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
Burn wrote:
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…


So i'm guessing because I liked the movies you don't think too highly of me then? Or my family and work colleagues?

You would be correct. I don't understand why people feel they have to check their brains at the door to be entertained. It's lazy and just keeps getting worse with each reiteration.

You asked… Mr. Moderator. >:oP

And in case the subject comes up again, I also can no longer watch the original cartoons (which I loved as a kid) for almost the same reason. Though at least they weren't pretending to be (self-)important.
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
User avatar
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
Posts: 340
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Portland, OR
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Rank: ???
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Burn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Good to know there are people out there who will judge me negatively based on my taste in movies. ;)^
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38547
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby NemesisMonkeySupreme » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Motto: "Peace through tyranny… or obliteration. Whichever is quicker."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
Burn wrote:Good to know there are people out there who will judge me negatively based on my taste in movies. ;)^

Ask a leading question, don't expect a mealy-mouth reply. :BOWDOWN:
:CON: To unleash the Warrior within, tame the Beast without. :CON:
User avatar
NemesisMonkeySupreme
Vehicon
Posts: 340
News Credits: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Portland, OR
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Rank: ???
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…

So wars, murder, and all the other horrible things humans do you're ok with. But a few movies you don't like are popular is what crosses the line?
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Stormrider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…

So wars, murder, and all the other horrible things humans do you're ok with. But a few movies you don't like are popular is what crosses the line?


I don't think he was expressing that. I think he is expressing in media/movie/tv terms. And I tend to agree with him. He is certainly not the worst director out there. But his movies tend to be unintentionally comically cliched, over the top, dramatized, unnecessary slow-mo, female eye-candy at odd times. To me, all Bay is trying to do is hit a male's wet dream. And he does it successfully, but I agree with NMS - that means, Bay is reaching for the lowest demoninator - sex & action appeal, without much plot or intelligence to the movie.
Image
Stormrider
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 8609
News Credits: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 am
Location: USA

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:56 am

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Well yeah, he's making the movies to appeal to a wide demographic. What's wrong with making something that a lot of people will enjoy? I don't understand why some people have to get so damn antagonistic about it. It's not like the success of the Transformers movies means other movies can't get made. I can enjoy a movie that's all about action and over the top effects just as much as I can enjoy one that focuses of character development and a well structured story. There's no reason to spend years whining about 1 movie and childishly insulting the people who like it when hundreds of other movies, books, video games, and plays are made every year. Crawl out from under your bridge, find one you like, and quit trying to drag everyone else into your miserable ball of hatred.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Capt.Failure » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 am

NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:
Burn wrote:
NemesisMonkeySupreme wrote:ALL of Bay's movies are lowest denominator crap, which is exactly why they make money. You can guess my assessment of humanity from that…


So i'm guessing because I liked the movies you don't think too highly of me then? Or my family and work colleagues?

You would be correct. I don't understand why people feel they have to check their brains at the door to be entertained. It's lazy and just keeps getting worse with each reiteration.

You asked… Mr. Moderator. >:oP

And in case the subject comes up again, I also can no longer watch the original cartoons (which I loved as a kid) for almost the same reason. Though at least they weren't pretending to be (self-)important.


If you think the Transformers movies are in any way pretentious films that try to sell themselves as more than what they are (read: mindlessly entertaining summer blockbusters) than I feel sorry for you.

As for "checking their brains at the door," why is that a bad thing? I spend most of my day with my brain on overdrive. Sometimes I don't want to think for awhile when being entertained. Holding that against someone says a lot about you as a person. Yet you accuse these films of being pretentious? Ha! :roll:

Evil_the_Nub wrote:Well yeah, he's making the movies to appeal to a wide demographic. What's wrong with making something that a lot of people will enjoy? I don't understand why some people have to get so damn antagonistic about it. It's not like the success of the Transformers movies means other movies can't get made. I can enjoy a movie that's all about action and over the top effects just as much as I can enjoy one that focuses of character development and a well structured story. There's no reason to spend years whining about 1 movie and childishly insulting the people who like it when hundreds of other movies, books, video games, and plays are made every year. Crawl out from under your bridge, find one you like, and quit trying to drag everyone else into your miserable ball of hatred.


It's the common thread with entertainment right now. The Intellectuals vs the Plebians. The video game equivalent is Hardcore Gamers vs Casual Gamers.

Entertainment for entertainment's sake is sacrilege to these people. It's why Bay is so hated by critics and their pseudo-intellectual ilk. Because he has the audacity to make films that don't cater directly to them. I won't say the Transformers films are works of art, but the worst movies of the last decade? A slap in the face to the fandom? Elitism and nostalgia. Nothing more.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby prowl123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:04 am

Motto: "If your house burns down... it's my fault."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Galvatron! Thundercracker! Cyclonus! Unicron!

Please? PLEASE??
~prowl123~


Don't take anything I say seriously, because what I say may not necessarily be what I mean.
User avatar
prowl123
Godmaster
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Watching the guy that's watching you.
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Capt.Failure » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm

prowl123 wrote:Galvatron! Thundercracker! Cyclonus! Unicron!

Please? PLEASE??


I'm hoping for Unicron the most. He'd provide a threat that would require a whole series of films to stop giving the series a more unified feel. While the the first trilogy was good the stories only loosely tied into one another. I think a more cohesive narrative between three films would go a long way.

And Galvatron too, because Galvatron. :CON:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Capt.Failure wrote:
prowl123 wrote:Galvatron! Thundercracker! Cyclonus! Unicron!

Please? PLEASE??


I'm hoping for Unicron the most. He'd provide a threat that would require a whole series of films to stop giving the series a more unified feel. While the the first trilogy was good the stories only loosely tied into one another. I think a more cohesive narrative between three films would go a long way.

And Galvatron too, because Galvatron. :CON:


I think Galvatron would be a natural progression. Interesting to see how he'll come about if they don't include Unicron though.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1188
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Red 50 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Motto: "Never send an army to do a dinobot's job"
Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Frankly I don't give a damn if it's a reboot or a continuation - all I want is them to make the movie so I could watch it once or twice and then buy the god-damn DVD and MAYBE buy some action-figures
Image
User avatar
Red 50
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:43 pm
Location: Estonia, Northern Europe
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 5
Rank: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers 4 Reboot? Mark Wahlberg Says Yes

Postby Prime Riblet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Motto: "Mottos! We need no stinking mottos!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
First - I am happy for any TF movie. Good or bad, it will have at least something I like.

Second - What is the point of speculation right now? This is what happens before every movie, and most of it is wrong anyway.

Third - If Bay didn't create movies that sold and made money, we literally would not be discussing this. There would simply be no movie.

Last - The movies are a big factor in whether or not we get cool toys or not. Movies create a market.
Image
User avatar
Prime Riblet
Godmaster
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Rochester, MN U.S.A.
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Rank: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Previous

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014