Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Shadowman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Capt.Failure wrote:You're trusting modern critics to know anything about film. That's your problem.


I trust professional critics to know anything about film. I may not always agree with them but they do know what they're talking about.

The guys who run the razzies, though...
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28845
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Burn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 am

Shadowman wrote:The guys who run the razzies, though...


... do it for the lulz.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38316
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Capt.Failure » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:You're trusting modern critics to know anything about film. That's your problem.


I trust professional critics to know anything about film. I may not always agree with them but they do know what they're talking about.

The guys who run the razzies, though...


Professional means trained to do their job. Being good at it is another thing. One does not imply the other. From what I've seen, few professional critics are good at their job. Rotten Tomatoes has seen to that with it's willful suppression of individual opinion among critics combined with the lack of respect they have for their readers.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Shadowman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Capt.Failure wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:You're trusting modern critics to know anything about film. That's your problem.


I trust professional critics to know anything about film. I may not always agree with them but they do know what they're talking about.

The guys who run the razzies, though...


Professional means trained to do their job. Being good at it is another thing. One does not imply the other.


Uh, actually it does. Amateur means you're untrained and unskilled. Professional means you've had training, which develops and teaches skill, and you're good enough to be paid to do it.

Capt.Failure wrote:From what I've seen, few professional critics are good at their job.


Such as? Also, do you even know the skills required to be a good critic?

Capt.Failure wrote:Rotten Tomatoes has seen to that with it's willful suppression of individual opinion among critics combined with the lack of respect they have for their readers.


Rotten Tomatoes isn't a review site, it is a review aggregate site. They collect individual reviews and display them all, and give a work a rating based on how positive and negative the reviews are.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28845
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 am

Uh, actually it does. Amateur means you're untrained and unskilled. Professional means you've had training, which develops and teaches skill, and you're good enough to be paid to do it.


Training means nothing when you don't use it properly. Fact.

Such as? Also, do you even know the skills required to be a good critic?


Take your pick from the ones who breach their so called professionalism to insult people for their tastes. Or maybe the ones who believe that an opinion can transcend it's subjective nature due to a college degree. Ebert's lashing out at Armond White over difference of opinion is a good example of both in one instance. I understand the requirements to become a professional critic, but being one means you need to keep yourself grounded on two simple rules:

1) Remain professional in practice, not just in designation.

2) Realize that your opinion is no more right than any other.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't a review site, it is a review aggregate site. They collect individual reviews and display them all, and give a work a rating based on how positive and negative the reviews are.


I'm aware of what Rotten Tomatoes is. What you fail to grasp is that aggregate review sites encourage critics to judge along the same lines to avoid criticism from their peers. Critics have been removed from RT because they went against the norm. That is not criticism, it's a popularity contest.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Transformers DOTM nominated for 6 Razzie Awards

Postby Banjo-Tron » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:59 am

Motto: "My banjo is everything; defeat is ukelele"
For what it's worth, I've gone from vehemently despising the live action trilogy to just disliking it. I can't deny that there are some good parts about the films. The effects are amazing. They are pretty good fun, for what they are - big, dumb, blockbusters. There's nothing wrong with that per se. The Razzies are just good fun too - so they kind of go hand in hand. Neither should be taken too seriously. Michael Bay may be a tool (IMO) but those movies keep Transformers relevant, and profitable. There's a lot to say for that in these austere times.
User avatar
Banjo-Tron
Godmaster
Posts: 1690
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:51 am
Location: UK, Surrey

Previous

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum