Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Moderators: Supreme Convoy, robofreak, Seibertron, Counterpunch

Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Mach » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Motto: ""I am a Prime. I do not take orders from you!""
According to IGN, Transformers Dark Of The Moon has been shortlisted to run for the Oscar's Best Visual Effect award for this year.

DOTM is among the total 15 films that have been selected. Check out the full list below:

"Captain America: The First Avenger"
"Cowboys & Aliens"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2"
"Hugo"
"Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"
"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"
"Real Steel"
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"
"Sucker Punch"
"Super 8"
"Thor"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"The Tree of Life"
"X-Men: First Class"


Image

You can read the full article here.

Seibertron, Ultimate Transformers Resource!
User avatar
Mach
News Staff
Posts: 2464
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 am
Location: Singapore/Malaysia
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby BeastProwl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:02 am

Motto: "Nanomachines Son"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5985
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby dinogeist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:14 am

BeastProwl wrote:you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic


it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."

However I don't think dotm is gonna win this "visual Effects" oscar. BECAUSE People voting have to actually think the visual effects COMPLIMENTED a great story plots filled with a talented team of actors,with decent spoken dialogue words. needless to say,the dialoge spokem in the Three TF movies are horrible,cheesy,outdated & lame-o. their are no decent stories in the Three TF movies that keep viewers entertained & challenges their minds. all the top rated actors in the three TF movies got small parts,while all the horrible or amatuer actors got huge starring roles.

Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.

I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.
Last edited by dinogeist on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Burn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:19 am

I'd give it to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Those Apes were bloody amazing. Should be nominated for best actor!
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37765
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby YRQRM0 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 am

Yeah, probably gonna go to Planet of the Apes. But I feel like the scope of the effects for DOTM was just incredible, every Chicago shot had digital city damage in the background, you just can't beat the stuff they did.
User avatar
YRQRM0
Pretender
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:26 pm
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: ???

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Mechastrike » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:33 am

.... yey? :???:
Mechastrike
Vehicon
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:58 am

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby cannonfodder4000 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:33 am

Motto: "Dey are fools! and dey will dai, like foods!"
Weapon: Right Laser
Finally! I might be a little biased, being a fan of the TFers, but I always felt that each movie should have gotten some kind of award for it's special effects, the first movie got nominated, but it didn't win anything, and ROTF wasn't even nominated! Like, I can't imagine how much work goes into the models, there's so much stuff.
Image

Looking for:
Actionmaster Prime's Armored Convoy, just the cab and trailer with it's smokestacks, add in anything else if you want <=D.
ROTF Skystalker's right wing piece (Left axe)and Star Convoy(Encore).
User avatar
cannonfodder4000
Gestalt Team Leader
Posts: 923
News Credits: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:30 am
Location: Qatar
Watch cannonfodder4000 on YouTube
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 1
Endurance: 2
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby SlyTF1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
DOTM had better win. But those dumbass monkeys will probably win.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3728
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby SlyTF1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:30 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Tidalwavex wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic


it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."

However I don't think dotm is gonna win this "visual Effects" oscar. BECAUSE People voting have to actually think the visual effects COMPLIMENTED a great story plots filled with a talented team of actors,with decent spoken dialogue words. needless to say,the dialoge spokem in the Three TF movies are horrible,cheesy,outdated & lame-o. their are no decent stories in the Three TF movies that keep viewers entertained & challenges their minds. all the top rated actors in the three TF movies got small parts,while all the horrible or amatuer actors got huge starring roles.

Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.

I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.


Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn, it's too early in the morning for this crap. >:oP
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3728
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby dinogeist » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 am

SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic


it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."

However I don't think dotm is gonna win this "visual Effects" oscar. BECAUSE People voting have to actually think the visual effects COMPLIMENTED a great story plots filled with a talented team of actors,with decent spoken dialogue words. needless to say,the dialoge spokem in the Three TF movies are horrible,cheesy,outdated & lame-o. their are no decent stories in the Three TF movies that keep viewers entertained & challenges their minds. all the top rated actors in the three TF movies got small parts,while all the horrible or amatuer actors got huge starring roles.

Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.

I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.


Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn. >:oP


SLYFY1,I didn't insult you nor bully around your opinion. please show me the same polite repect i've shown you.

That's a rather horrible excuse... Their are plenty of CGI movies out their with great well written story plots. decent spoken dialogue words & a talented crew of actors/actresses.

CGI & Visual effects mean zero if their their placed in what the majority think are awful movies. CGI & Visual effects need to have a soul & viewers need to connect with them.

At the end of the day,the decision of who wins these Academy awards are up the people selected who vote for them. You can't expect movies to win any category if the oscar voters loate & hate them.

No one or thing is entitled to win these oscars. very few get handed out each year. those who win these oscars earn them. their not handed them to please the masses.

Planet of the apes is a awesome example of CGI & Visual effects used properly. the CGI apes had persona & they felt like real things. viewers looking at the CGI apes climbed into their heads & related to all their emotion,rage & dark persona's. they did a excellent job using the CGI to capture the emotion in the apes faces & body movements.

Micheal bay doesn't know how to use CGI nor visual effects properly. micheal bay uses CGI as a bully weapon. he throws these huge CGI robots in viewers faces & all the CGI models do is bully their way down the street,stomping & ripping stuff apart.

their wasn't enough screen time thus not enough dialogue words for the CGI robots because micheal had shia/sam & his crew of humans steal all the screen time & all the dialogue words. having CGI robots barely squueze out a few words is just horrible. VIEWERS PAID TO SEE THE CGI Robots NOT Chapters in sam's/shia's life.

Like I said in a previous reply. viewers want to see CGI compliment a well written story,with decent spoken dialogue words & a talented crew of actors/actoresses.

Advatar is another perfect example of the CGI designs taking up the majority of the screen time & spoken dialogue words.

Titanic is a perfect example of CGI & Visual effects used for a well written story. with a crew of talented actors/actresses
Last edited by dinogeist on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dinogeist
Godmaster
Posts: 1621
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby BluePhirePB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 am

Not to be a Negative Nancy but I doubt DOTM will win. They'll probably give it to Hugo because it's artsy. Honestly, TF1 should have beat out The Golden Compass in 2008.
BluePhirePB
Minibot
Posts: 126
News Credits: 5
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby amtm » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:17 am

Motto: "I'd've written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time."
Weapon: Sonic Boomer Laser
I haven't seen all of these movies, but frankly, of the ones I've seen, none of them had anything in it that I'd consider an "achievement". It's all been more of the same old computer graphics bashing and zipping and exploding. Big deal.
Want: Universe Jetfire.

Have: Too many to list.
User avatar
amtm
Vehicon
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Buy from amtm on eBay
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 5

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby SlyTF1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:36 am

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Tidalwavex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:
BeastProwl wrote:you watch it in HD BLU-RAY 3D, you'll see why it won, even without 3D or HD DOTM Was (and still is) Jaw-Droppingly realistic


it hasn't won anything yet,hence the Nominated words.

Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."

However I don't think dotm is gonna win this "visual Effects" oscar. BECAUSE People voting have to actually think the visual effects COMPLIMENTED a great story plots filled with a talented team of actors,with decent spoken dialogue words. needless to say,the dialoge spokem in the Three TF movies are horrible,cheesy,outdated & lame-o. their are no decent stories in the Three TF movies that keep viewers entertained & challenges their minds. all the top rated actors in the three TF movies got small parts,while all the horrible or amatuer actors got huge starring roles.

Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.

I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.


Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn. >:oP


SLYFY1,I didn't insult you nor bully around your opinion. please show me the same polite repect i've shown you.


Well I'm sorry. It was early in the morning and I was pissed off already so...

That's a rather horrible excuse... Their are plenty of CGI movies out their with great well written story plots. decent spoken dialogue words & a talented crew of actors/actresses.

CGI & Visual effects mean zero if their their placed in what the majority think are awful movies. CGI & Visual effects need to have a soul & viewers need to connect with them.


Those movies bore me. And I did connect with the characters in ROTF and DOTM. Not so much the first movie though...

Planet of the apes is a awesome example of CGI & Visual effects used properly. the CGI apes had persona & they felt like real things. viewers looking at the CGI apes climbed into their heads & related to all their emotion,rage & dark persona's. they did a excellent job using the CGI to capture the emotion in the apes faces & body movements.


That movie bored me. They're just damn monkeys. You can go to the zoo and see them for real. Why the hell would I want to see a CG version of something I can see in real life?

Micheal bay doesn't know how to use CGI nor visual effects properly. micheal bay uses CGI as a bully weapon. he throws these huge CGI robots in viewers faces & all the CGI models do is bully their way down the street,stomping & ripping stuff apart.


That's the awesome part. And I'm pretty sure the TFs showed emotion throuought the movie.

Advatar is another perfect example of the CGI designs taking up the majority of the screen time & spoken dialogue words.


Avatar didn't bore me, but I hated it the second time I saw it.

Titanic is a perfect example of CGI & Visual effects used for a well written story. with a crew of talented actors/actresses


Again, another movie that bored the p!$$ out of me...
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3728
News Credits: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Motto: "I Stand Alone"
Weapon: Twin Photon Blasters
Wow, there are way too many nominees. There should only be 5. And DotM should win. But, if any other flick takes it, I also think it will be Planet of the Apes.
............Image
User avatar
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
Posts: 14773
News Credits: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Frog Balls, AR

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Burn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:09 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:
Tidalwavex wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:Then take your ass on somewhere else and go watch your boring ass movies with "plots". Nobody wants to hear that bs, it's a category for visual effects, not that crap you're talking about. Damn. >:oP


SLYFY1,I didn't insult you nor bully around your opinion. please show me the same polite repect i've shown you.


Well I'm sorry. It was early in the morning and I was pissed off already so...


Time and again Sly I have asked you to watch your language, i'm sick and tired of the excuses. You're old enough to know better. Grow up and start showing some respect.

Planet of the apes is a awesome example of CGI & Visual effects used properly. the CGI apes had persona & they felt like real things. viewers looking at the CGI apes climbed into their heads & related to all their emotion,rage & dark persona's. they did a excellent job using the CGI to capture the emotion in the apes faces & body movements.


That movie bored me. They're just damn monkeys. You can go to the zoo and see them for real. Why the hell would I want to see a CG version of something I can see in real life?


Really? You can see hyper-intelligent apes at a zoo? Apes that can talk? Wow, tell me where this zoo is because i'd love to see them too!

Seriously, have you considered a career as a movie critic? Because you clearly don't take the time to really watch a movie before criticising it.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!
User avatar
Burn
HMW Moderator
Posts: 37765
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby OlivusPrime » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Motto: "Let justice prevail over death."
Weapon: Ionic Blaster
Out of all of them, DOTM probably deserves it the most, not just for the realism involved, but also for the effort put into all three films (ILM made two of their biggest, most detailed models for these movies).

Unfortunately though, I have a feeling that Hugo will get it, because of its high critical acclaim. I hope RotPotA doesn't get it, to be honest - I never thought that those apes were particularly realistic (despite everyone else's opinions of them), and it would be like The Golden Compass again if it won.
Image

Recently Bought: Universe (2008) Powerglide, RTS Trailbreaker, DOTM Ultimate Optimus Prime
User avatar
OlivusPrime
Fuzor
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:58 pm
Location: In the United Kingdom, without Wave 3/4 :(
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby cotss2012 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:51 pm

The apes looked totally perfect in scenes where they weren't moving much. Unfortunately, during the high-motion scenes, I think the CGI people added a bit too much motion blur, and the effect became a bit cartoony. DotM didn't have that problem... it had a different one. Namely, the robots are made of too many tiny indistinguishable parts with the same rusted-over dark gray texture, so you can't really see what's what.

Of the movies that I've seen, I'd go with X-Men.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
cotss2012 wrote:The apes looked totally perfect in scenes where they weren't moving much. Unfortunately, during the high-motion scenes, I think the CGI people added a bit too much motion blur, and the effect became a bit cartoony. DotM didn't have that problem... it had a different one. Namely, the robots are made of too many tiny indistinguishable parts with the same rusted-over dark gray texture, so you can't really see what's what.

Of the movies that I've seen, I'd go with X-Men.

You might want to see an optometrist. I have great vision and nothing looked indistinguishable and the only one that looked rusted over was Megatron.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby cotss2012 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 pm

This is what I'm talking about:

Image
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Kiyza » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Motto: "Who says there are no girls on the internet?"
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
You know, if there's any one award that this film deserves, it's in the visual effects department. Even if critics don't consider it up to par with a number of other films in terms of plot, drama, characterization, etc., it's hard to argue that the special effects aren't absolutely amazing.

And you know what? It's probably going to lose out to a movie that garners more critical respect, like the aforementioned Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Why? Because people in charge of these awards are biased. They can't look at a film specifically for one thing and one thing only.

It's hard to argue that the first Transformers film didn't look fantastic in terms of visual effects, and a lot of work was spent on the special effects, certainly more than The Golden Compass that it lost to. But the reason that that film won is, of course, because it has more "class" than a movie with giant robots beating the crap out of each other and gratuitous amounts of explosions. You know, despite the fact that according to Rotten Tomatoes, Transformers received a fair bit more critical and audience praise.

If you asked some person on the street which they thought looked more amazing between these films, I'd wager they'd say Transformers. If Transformers was a well received drama film with giant robots in the in the mix, the critics Transformers might have a chance of winning. But keep in mind, these are snooty pricks who can't appreciate good special effects if they're in a film that doesn't cater to their tastes.
User avatar
Kiyza
Micromaster
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 am
Location: Earth, the insignificant 3rd planet from the sun
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 6
Rank: 3
Courage: 2
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
cotss2012 wrote:This is what I'm talking about:

Image

That's Ironhide's face, and I believe that's mid transformation. I still don't see the problem.
Kiyza wrote:You know, if there's any one award that this film deserves, it's in the visual effects department. Even if critics don't consider it up to par with a number of other films in terms of plot, drama, characterization, etc., it's hard to argue that the special effects aren't absolutely amazing.

And you know what? It's probably going to lose out to a movie that garners more critical respect, like the aforementioned Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Why? Because people in charge of these awards are biased. They can't look at a film specifically for one thing and one thing only.

It's hard to argue that the first Transformers film didn't look fantastic in terms of visual effects, and a lot of work was spent on the special effects, certainly more than The Golden Compass that it lost to. But the reason that that film won is, of course, because it has more "class" than a movie with giant robots beating the crap out of each other and gratuitous amounts of explosions. You know, despite the fact that according to Rotten Tomatoes, Transformers received a fair bit more critical and audience praise.

If you asked some person on the street which they thought looked more amazing between these films, I'd wager they'd say Transformers. If Transformers was a well received drama film with giant robots in the in the mix, the critics Transformers might have a chance of winning. But keep in mind, these are snooty pricks who can't appreciate good special effects if they're in a film that doesn't cater to their tastes.

That's why I hate the academy awards, it's just a way for these guys to stroke their own egos.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby cotss2012 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Evil_the_Nub wrote:That's Ironhide's face, and I believe that's mid transformation. I still don't see the problem.


It's immediately post-transformation, and the problem is that it looks like a giant crap that I took a few days ago.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
cotss2012 wrote:
Evil_the_Nub wrote:That's Ironhide's face, and I believe that's mid transformation. I still don't see the problem.


It's immediately post-transformation, and the problem is that it looks like a giant crap that I took a few days ago.

Then you should see a gastrointestinologist too.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby Autobot Megatron » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Motto: "That's just prime..."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
DOTM should definitely win. All the visual effects in it were awesome, and while it was certainly not the best movie plot wise I've ever saw, it's had the best effects that I can think of. (Granted, I've only saw Capt. America and Thor otherwise from this list.)
But there's the Golden Compass incident. So considering that, it's not winning. :BANG_HEAD:
Autobot Megatron
Like Nemisis Prime, but cooler.
User avatar
Autobot Megatron
Fuzor
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 pm
Location: Uh, I'm right here, aren't I?

Re: Transformers DOTM Nominated for Oscar's Achievement in Visual Effects

Postby 5150 Cruiser » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am

Motto: "If it first you don't succeed,.. Sky diving is not for you!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled Self-Propelled Rocket Launcher
Tidalwavex wrote: Personally I think Dotm deserves to win the oscar for "achievement in visual effects."


This makes absolutely no sence what so ever. You aknowledge that the movie deserves to win this award. Which has nothing to do with the story, plot, or even MB directly, but then you say this..

Tidalwavex wrote:Personally i'm sick & tired of micheal bay & shia le bouf. I want the Dotm movie to LOSE this oscar in visual effects to embrass micheal bay.


.. But still hope it loses?? Cause you think it will embarass Micheal Bay? What about the visuals department that worked as hard as they did to get the best visuals possible? They didn't direct the movie. Why should they be punished? So I guess all the other movies that don't win should be embarrased as well?
NOt winning isn't going to embaress anyone.

Tidalwavex wrote:I don't want micheal bay to win this oscar because this will encourage the man to do a TF 4 movie. I'm looking for this nightmare roller coaster ride to end. I want a reboot,with a talented director & a starring cast not from any previous nickoladeaon TV series.


So a franchise based on a childrens cartoon is off limits to kids working in it (Not that there were kids in any of the TF movies) ... :lol: Gotta love the irony in that. Movie hater cease to amaze me with their logic sometimes.
Decepticons... Com in get yo ice cream!.... And then get yo ass whop'in!!

Suck my popsicle!! :p

Shadowman wrote:I will put forth the theory that it was the internet itself trying to punch him in the face.
User avatar
5150 Cruiser
Headmaster
Posts: 1167
News Credits: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:24 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #91 - History Lesson
Twincast / Podcast #91:
"History Lesson"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 21st, 2014